Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/882390851632148480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

If they're not too upset with everything they should be inquiring about Jae Crowder lol

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Utah probably would have been the top seed in the East last year. They were really good.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't really know what Utah does from here, they're kinda hosed barring a big breakout from Hood or Exum. They can't get Big free agents so they understandably put all their eggs in the Hayward basket and got burned. They'll still be competitive as long as Gobert is healthy but the offense is gonna be so bad. With Hayward they had a chance at like 3-4 seed but without they're gonna be fighting it out for the 8.

E: I'm not surprised they're taking a run at Porter because they've wanted a credible stretch 4 forever but Washington is going to match so it seems kinda pointless.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 5, 2017

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Cool Buff Man posted:

There 100% has to be a somewhat interesting Celtic offload trade imminent

Yeah, bunch of contracts gotta go now. Bunch of guys who are just going to be renounced or cut, only one who might be interesting for someone is Zeller though. Also makes it official Kelly is gone. Maybe another fanbase will irrationally fall in love with Jordan Mickey despite his 5 career minutes played.

The interesting piece here is that the Celtics still need to move via trade:
Crowder or Bradley
OR
(Smart or Rozier) and Demetrius Jackson

I guess there are other options that could go instead of the first two but they are the obvious candidates since they have actual trade value.

If they don't trade Bradley, they basically have to officially stash Guerschon Yabusele again this year - I got the impression they were happy to bring him over from a readiness perspective, they just now need to wait a year to get his contract on the books. I think they could fit it under the cap of Bradley was the trade bait though

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/882397005305315328

heh

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Wait hold up do the Celtics need to offload some contracts before they can officially sign Hayward?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Marcus Smart fits perfectly with the ersan trade exception PRESTI PLEASE GET MARCUS SMART

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That would be a good replacement wow

I hope it happens

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
So could Crowder, Zeller, and some amount of picks get decent big to shore up this line up? I'm not even sure who's on the block right now.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

Noctone posted:

Wait hold up do the Celtics need to offload some contracts before they can officially sign Hayward?

Lotta chaff will officially get dropped, but yes they do have to move a piece of some kind to have a roster for the season.

They may technically be able to sign Hayward now, I dunno, it's the NBA who knows how that poo poo works.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Salvor_Hardin posted:

So could Crowder, Zeller, and some amount of picks get decent big to show up this line up? I'm not even sure who's on the block right now.

Zeller was waived

Zizic is looking like the teams choice for someone to be big and mean

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

kalensc posted:

All teams play 2 games versus each out-of-conference opponent. That's 450 matches during the regular season.

Last year the East won 204 while the West took home 246. Season before that it was 218-232. (#s were mental math so may be off a few).

Given how FA has gone, what would you set the line at for an O/U prop bet? East wins 200 feels high for the moment, but how low feels right?

In recent years the East has been more difficult to predict. Hundreds have attempted to simply guess the eight EC playoff teams and 100% have failed. A raging tire fire can be unpredictable.

EvanTH posted:

One of the fundamental assumptions underlying modern science is that the laws of the universe are uniform and constant throughout the universe. This is, of course, an unproven assumption. For all we know gravity might decide to let up next year his absurdly big body will no longer place unbearable strain upon his footbones.

As a scientific man myself, I'm still in favor of trading for Zipser and starting up some Dr. Moreau-style bone swapping experiments

There is a lot about the universe that nobody understands. If you can explain dark matter and dark energy to me I will give you :10bux: :20bux:.

BoonyPC posted:

I don't get this move at all apart from $$$. To me, Utah seemed like a better team and either way you are going to hit a roadblock in the playoffs anyway.

What can Utah do now, they need another scorer??

I also dreamed about this happening last night, think I'm obsessed with basketball.

Multiple NBA N/V posters gaining psychic abilities.

Utah must reach out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBI9BtPexh0

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Almost all the bigs are still in free agency. That is not a worry to any team.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Okafor , the Ukrainian guy, Denver plumlee, lma??

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/dhpbj/status/882390886717562881

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
That's a bit much

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Yikes!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

That would be a good replacement wow

I hope it happens

I don't really see how it can, they'd need to shed a bunch of salary to make a realistic offer and almost literally everyone covering the NBA has said Washington will match any offer on him

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/882399989082750976

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

MourningView posted:

I don't really know what Utah does from here, they're kinda hosed barring a big breakout from Hood or Exum. They can't get Big free agents so they understandably put all their eggs in the Hayward basket and got burned. They'll still be competitive as long as Gobert is healthy but the offense is gonna be so bad. With Hayward they had a chance at like 3-4 seed but without they're gonna be fighting it out for the 8.

E: I'm not surprised they're taking a run at Porter because they've wanted a credible stretch 4 forever but Washington is going to match so it seems kinda pointless.

Its been said before but it does really suck for Utah. In theory doing everything right. Build from the ground up. Not making horrific deals and pushing the team into a corner. Draft right, get the right coach, and support the team. Then you peak by making it to the 2nd round and then your top guy leaves. They're in a really loving tough spot now.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Doc what are you doing

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Cool Buff Man posted:

Doc what are you doing

A source tells me he bumped his head on his flight to LA in 2013 and has been unable to learn things since then

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

soggybagel posted:

Its been said before but it does really suck for Utah. In theory doing everything right. Build from the ground up. Not making horrific deals and pushing the team into a corner. Draft right, get the right coach, and support the team. Then you peak by making it to the 2nd round and then your top guy leaves. They're in a really loving tough spot now.

It's really frustrating. They had awful luck with injuries and terrible timing with the peak of the rebuild coming right at the same time another team in the conference put together the literal greatest team of all time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't think this is the end for the Jazz by any means, although those Gobert lineups without Hayward are pretty bad and I'm not sure subbing Rudy (which Rudy am I talking about? I don't know. RICKY) in fixes that.

Rick fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 5, 2017

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

This gave me great joy.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Donovan Mitchell had a really good summer league game though so it's fine

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

MourningView posted:

Donovan Mitchell had a really good summer league game though so it's fine

He did look pretty good out there

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/utahjazz/status/882400418772303872

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

God drat really reaching on this one

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Hey, at least he didn't kneecap your leverage on the way out and you ended up trading him for a bad contract.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Can't say I'm too torn up about the Heat not getting Hayward. He's a good player but there's no sense in putting false hope in a guy bringing your team a chamoionship until 2020.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

soggybagel posted:

Yeah, definitely sucks for Utah.

Even if Hayward sticks around, what they were last year is not far off from the peak for that roster I think. In most years, that would be good enough to earnestly compete for the title, but not when GS are what they are.

It was probably the biggest mark against Utah - they were a very good team with Hayward, just not good enough, and without a clear path to major improvement.

For all the talk about Brad Stevens, that was always what made me think Boston was gonna be the pick - they were about as good as Utah last year, but now they have their best offensive player. AND they have young talent with more high picks to come. That might actually be enough to get over the hump during the duration of this contract. There's at least a more obvious path to get there than there is for the Jazz.

Still sucks real bad for Utah though - they really did all the right things, just peaked at the wrong time. This makes Gobert far more likely to leave when his contract is up too :(

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

1) seems like Thank You Tah would work better
2) check this out:

Gordon Lightpit

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
At least we still have our real go to scorer ISO Joe

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

ainge, put together a package. Make it happen.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

the deleted jazz tweet was a pic of gobert

as in who needs you gordon

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Yeah, definitely sucks for Utah.

Even if Hayward sticks around, what they were last year is not far off from the peak for that roster I think. In most years, that would be good enough to earnestly compete for the title, but not when GS are what they are.

It was probably the biggest mark against Utah - they were a very good team with Hayward, just not good enough, and without a clear path to major improvement.

For all the talk about Brad Stevens, that was always what made me think Boston was gonna be the pick - they were about as good as Utah last year, but now they have their best offensive player. AND they have young talent with more high picks to come. That might actually be enough to get over the hump during the duration of this contract. There's at least a more obvious path to get there than there is for the Jazz.

Still sucks real bad for Utah though - they really did all the right things, just peaked at the wrong time. This makes Gobert far more likely to leave when his contract is up too :(

I mean the path to major improvement was "stay healthy." They lost the most games to injury of anyone in the league last year and still won 50 games. They played like a top 3ish team at full strength and the core was still young enough that you could realistically expect guys like Hood to get better or hope the Exum lottery ticket actually comes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/Jcougar23/status/882390732329205760

• Locked thread