Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Anyway I don't think "they were honest and didn't hurt anybody" is a weird defense of someone's moral character.

You framed it as 'they're not convicted criminals' which is a pretty low bar for decent personhood but anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also autocorrect wanted to continue infection with "by Jewish" uhhhhhhhh

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Lol I think women not wanting to gently caress a dude is gonna make him frustrated regardless of his entitlement issues.

Cart before the horse mate, maybe no one wants to gently caress him because of his entitlement issues and the frustration is entirely his problem?

Once you go down the alt-right rabbit hole you're making a conscious decision to make your issues everyone else's problem as well

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

StashAugustine posted:

Also a lot of it is just alienation in general; plus at this point ts hitting critical mass enough so that relatively well adjusted people who grew up generally conservative get exposed to it and the infection sets in

Yeah that's a good point, I don't think it's just the sexual alienation, but that's probably the most major form that affected them.

Crane Fist posted:

Cart before the horse mate, maybe no one wants to gently caress him because of his entitlement issues and the frustration is entirely his problem?

Once you go down the alt-right rabbit hole you're making a conscious decision to make your issues everyone else's problem as well

I'm talking about a few different people here and none of them really have entitlement issues I've seen. The main reasons no one (or barely anyone) hosed them were that they're physically unattractive or on the autism spectrum or home schooled. Again, "somebody must have entitlement issues because they're frustrated they can't do the thing their body wants them to do more than anything else" isn't very compelling to me. Also I don't even think entitlement necessary keeps people from getting laid, I mean Bill Clinton felt entitled to sex with every attractive woman he met and he still got it a lot, and most of it was consensual.

And it wasn't a conscious decision to make their issues everyone else's problem because that of course wasn't how they consciously framed it. Subconscious, sure.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

And it wasn't a conscious decision to make their issues everyone else's problem because that of course wasn't how they consciously framed it. Subconscious, sure.

Fair but I'm assuming they're not children and as such capable of taking responsibility for decisions they make like getting involved with a harassment-centred neo-nazi movement

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Crane Fist posted:

Fair but I'm assuming they're not children and as such capable of taking responsibility for decisions they make like getting involved with a harassment-centred neo-nazi movement

Well, voting for or donating to Trump is an unambiguously evil act with real consequences but I'm talking about before they did that.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Looking back at myself when I was, say, around 19 or 20 gives me the heebie jeebies as I probably would've been vulnerable to alt-right recruitment. Come to think of it, thinking of yourself as invulnerable to this sort of thing is a mistake.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Montasque has issued a correction as of 01:25 on Jul 5, 2017

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

i'm the smart gamer who didn't learn his lesson the last seven times i bought a wrestling video game on the xbox 360

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

Also a lot of it is just alienation in general; plus at this point ts hitting critical mass enough so that relatively well adjusted people who grew up generally conservative get exposed to it and the infection sets in
Yes. You're in your early 20s and living in a lovely apartment in some big, anonymous city. What's the point and purpose in life? So ethno-nationalism provides an answer. Now combine that with new communications technologies which inculcates self-doubt in everyone (everyone puts on their best face on Facebook), and a generally psychedelic and surreal media culture, and it's no wonder people are alienated. Now mix with a backlash to a historic wave of human migration, shifts in how people live and work, a collapse in religious affiliation which formerly provided meaning...

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

im the multiple halo books

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Lol I think women not wanting to gently caress a dude is gonna make him frustrated regardless of his entitlement issues. That's just human nature. Like you can lament the fact that Google isn't putting fiber in your town while still acknowledging there's no reason for them to because your town has no commerce or people. And never ever did I say that women are the problem or that they have some moral obligation to charity gently caress these guys.

Anyway I don't think "they were honest and didn't hurt anybody" is a weird defense of someone's moral character.

Angela Nagle has copped to this problem several times in her interviews. You can say all you want that women shouldn't have to gently caress these guys, and while that's true it also doesn't make the problem of sexual frustration go away. Far as I can tell, the only real solution is an intervention in radical socialization so these guys can figure out how not to be socially retarded and become sexually suitable - but that's going to be way down on the list from anybody's political priority. These guys know that they're screwed by a society that burdens the individual with excessive responsibilities, especially on the socially stunted - but rather than forming a revolutionary ideology they're more ready to embrace a culture of violence so they can force people to find them suitable. Then again, they're not really capable of systemic violence either. It's sexual-social impotence all around.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Its a mistake to view people who migrate to the alt-right as purely malicious (over entitled, etc.), because your under estimating these groups by doing that. Movements like this are actually capable of grabbing large parts of the population, when social conditions permit. You need a better explanation than 'well they're just weirdos'.

Its an almost conservative view of society, where broad social trends are the result if stereotypical characters (the unwashed hippie, etc) rather than social factors.

In this case, I'd put money down on it being that young men are facing a conflict between the idealized masculinity society has, versus what they're actually able to do - career/employment/breafwinner being a big one. This leads to a performative over-compensation, as well as projected self-hate and anger onto perceived sources, real or imagined. Reactionary politics always seems to start with sexuality.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

or like, idk, maybe not make guys feel like they're worthless unless they're smashing poon all the time (which also contributes to their unfuckability)

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Uncle Wemus posted:

I'm the two copies of the same Cernovich book.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I also feel like there's way too much focus on the sexual aspect of reactionary frustration. This is a way more serious antisocial issue where they're incapable of even making a loving connection with another human being because on the one hand - sincere love for another man is too gay to them, and on the other they can't even get a woman to go out with them. In many cases they're not even able to ask. Even being able to have a genuine non-sexual relationship with the opposite gender is inconceivable, and frankly our society cultivates that kind of adolescent socialization.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Uncle Wemus posted:

I'm the Ikea shelving.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I'm the annually released WWE game that is a copy of the same old game with a new cover.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Right wing politics in general encultures & excuses anti-social attitudes, so that's not new.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

rudatron posted:

Right wing politics in general encultures & excuses anti-social attitudes, so that's not new.

What I'm saying is that our culture is right wing, and inculcates those values from an early age.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I also feel like there's way too much focus on the sexual aspect of reactionary frustration. This is a way more serious antisocial issue where they're incapable of even making a loving connection with another human being because on the one hand - sincere love for another man is too gay to them, and on the other they can't even get a woman to go out with them. In many cases they're not even able to ask. Even being able to have a genuine non-sexual relationship with the opposite gender is inconceivable, and frankly our society cultivates that kind of adolescent socialization.

Yep, and again in the case of my friends, the more extreme they are in the alt-right stuff the more true this is in them.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Dangerous - Keep Away from Children

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

what an unbelievable dork. the second picture in particular, my god.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'd say it's also a backlash to an inquisitory style of social justice politics, which seems dustbinned now in the Age of Trump. I don't mean to dismiss racial or gender politics, more the futzy and shallow way it was articulated. I remember when the big subject among some of my left-wing friends was Iggy Azalea, which frankly reminds me of the Christian Right fretting over Marilyn Manson. There was also some twerking in a Taylor Swift video OMG it's cultural appropriation...

In retrospect this was the sign of a collapsing regime, and the rot really set in when it started being exploited by digital media companies. I read an interview with Tim Gionet (Baked Alaska) who originally went to work for Buzzfeed as a social media manager and to make lifestyle and food videos, then the editorial direction shifted to doing white privilege videos. So, the only explanation for that is that it was a business decision aimed at building traffic, as this stuff was going viral. Gionet then easily made the pivot to right-wing culture warrior after that gold mine was exhausted.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 02:41 on Jul 5, 2017

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yep, and again in the case of my friends, the more extreme they are in the alt-right stuff the more true this is in them.

Frustration and insecurity leads to fascism, so it's not surprising that your more hapless friend's are further down the rabbit hole.

Might be time to cut the cord and move on to better friends.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Being alt-right is also the ultimate gently caress-you to that kind of thing. I think a lot of the future alt-right recruits felt they were damned if they do / damned if they don't. Basically if you tell people they're privileged and bad because they're white males, but don't give them a way to resolve this bad thing, they will resolve it themselves by embracing their white privilege as a good thing or even as something unfairly denied them. It's the wrong answer and it isn't what they should do, but it's what they did.

Well anyways I think the trend at the moment is this whole weird shebang trying to adjust to the reality of them being ... dominant, really. This whole identity-formulation developed as a reaction and now it doesn't seem quite sure what to do with itself. I'm pretty sure it's got a finite lifespan, too, and I have no idea what it will become or what the reaction *to* it will look like. I don't think it's running out of gas soon but it will eventually.

rudatron posted:

In this case, I'd put money down on it being that young men are facing a conflict between the idealized masculinity society has, versus what they're actually able to do - career/employment/breafwinner being a big one. This leads to a performative over-compensation, as well as projected self-hate and anger onto perceived sources, real or imagined. Reactionary politics always seems to start with sexuality.
I totally agree. I wonder whether it's possible to have an innocuous or non-toxic white-masculine identity or whether that's even possible. It seems possible to me?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I totally agree. I wonder whether it's possible to have an innocuous or non-toxic white-masculine identity or whether that's even possible. It seems possible to me?

It's not easy to be a good person, I struggle with it every day, but it isn't hard to avoid being a complete piece of poo poo.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's not easy to be a good person, I struggle with it every day, but it isn't hard to avoid being a complete piece of poo poo.
I have a fairly (little-c) conservative worldview in some ways and I think "total son of a bitch" might be the default state of humanity. People need to be taught at a very early age not to be absolute bastards, and people need to be steered into doing constructive things instead of destructive things.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

I mean, what does white-masculine identity mean in the current sense? The defining trait of being a white man is your inherent privilege in opposition to men of colour or non-men. If (generally) you work towards flattening out that privilege (which is undoubtedly a good thing), what's left of white-manhood?

What's there to be proud of as a white man that isn't also an inheritance of white men generally loving things up for everyone else?

The Narrator has issued a correction as of 02:56 on Jul 5, 2017

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Narrator posted:

I mean, what does white-masculine identity mean in the current sense? The defining trait of being a white man is your inherent privilege in opposition to men of colour or non-men. If (generally) you work towards flattening out that privilege (which is undoubtedly a good thing), what's left of white-manhood?

What's there to be proud of as a white man that isn't also an inheritance of white men generally loving things up for everyone else?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
oh no

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I read an interview with Tim Gionet (Baked Alaska) who originally went to work for Buzzfeed as a social media manager and to make lifestyle and food videos, then the editorial direction shifted to doing white privilege videos. So, the only explanation for that is that it was a business decision aimed at building traffic, as this stuff was going viral.

Another possible explanation of this could be that baked Alaska is insane and his idea of 'white privilege videos' is anything that doesn't explicitly endorse blue lives matter

Not saying it's not a trend, just holy poo poo consider your sources better

some plague rats has issued a correction as of 03:04 on Jul 5, 2017

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Narrator posted:

I mean maybe we could try and steer people towards being proud of things they've actually accomplished

If you haven't accomplished anything you're proud of in your life consider making an investment in my new line of suicide booths

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Crane Fist posted:

Another possible explanation of this could be that baked Alaska is insane and his idea of 'white privilege videos' is anything that doesn't explicitly endorse blue lives matter

Not saying it's not a trend, just holy poo poo consider your sources better
Nah. I don't think he's insane, or that his radicalization process was like that - like he was a full-blown Blue Lives Matter pro-Trump guy right away. He became that over time, reacting to his environment, and apparently he has social anxiety and was teased by his co-workers and was told he "looked like a pedophile." That's not a healthy workplace. That's also not sourcing him but some of his former co-workers:

http://www.businessinsider.com/who-is-baked-alaska-milo-mike-cernovich-alt-right-trump-2017-4

The Narrator posted:

Well, you got me. Though this quote from Shadi Hamid from a few months back caught me:

quote:

“For many in this movement, being American is part of a civilizational identity, not a set of ideas that anyone can buy into or share. There’s a strong civilization component to most Islamist groups as well — not like ISIS, but the mainstream Islamists who participate in politics. One thing you’ll find, regardless of the spectrum, is a strong sense of Islamic religious civilization. That’s different because the alt-right privileges ethnicity. They’re two very different approaches to civilization and identity, but the same basic idea of trying to draw clear lines between large groups of people based on whatever ideology they subscribe to.”

“ISIS and the Bannon-ites, they feed off each others’ rhetoric. ISIS and Bannon both want to promote civilization struggle. There’s no moral equivalence between the two, but much of this rhetoric is an endless loop of being reactionary. With groups like ISIS, you have to be attuned to the risk of feeding into a civilizational narrative of war on Islam. This is where the alt-right doesn’t distinguish — all Muslims are guilty until proven innocent. They have to prove loyalty to America. It calls into question the very notion of citizenship — as an American Muslim, I shouldn’t have to say that I’m loyal to America. It goes against the core element of American identity.”

“As the white population becomes a smaller majority and ultimately a minority, there is going to be more white panic. It’s not super-common as a natural democratic process. How will people deal with that? Whites would be a powerful majority in the economy and politics, which creates a dangerous-imbalance power dynamic, like the dangerous sectarian resentments seen in some Middle Eastern conflicts. That’s why I’m not super-optimistic about this, unless we can allow some room for a legitimate expression of white identity. White self-interest that doesn’t discriminate against others, that isn’t racist toward minority groups. A stark understanding of “You’re a racist or non-racist,” is not a good idea and not sustainable.”

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/04/what-are-the-roots-of-the-new-reactionary-rage.html

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nah. I don't think he's insane, or that his radicalization process was like that - like he was a full-blown Blue Lives Matter pro-Trump guy right away. He became that over time, reacting to his environment, and apparently he has social anxiety and was teased by his co-workers and was told he "looked like a pedophile." That's not a healthy workplace. That's also not sourcing him but some of his former co-workers:

http://www.businessinsider.com/who-is-baked-alaska-milo-mike-cernovich-alt-right-trump-2017-4

I don't know if this article was meant to make him sound sympathetic but god drat what a dipshit

Also he does absolutely look like a pedophile

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
1. Someone said I can't say "spirit animal," that's kinda weird.
2. I like Donald Trump because he says whatever he wants to, I'm going to get a tattoo of his face on my arm.
3. [FOOTAGE NOT FOUND]
4. Women, Islam and the Jews are undermining our civilization

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

The Narrator posted:

It's exactly this shallow characterization of race & sexuality that lead to the alt-right existing the first place. "You are guilty of oppression purely by existing, and of no redeeming quality" either leads to embracing oppression as your defining part of your identity, or disgusting self-pitying white guilt - neither expresses a healthy worldview or perception of the self.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

I'd say it's also a backlash to an inquisitory style of social justice politics, which seems dustbinned now in the Age of Trump. I don't mean to dismiss racial or gender politics, more the futzy and shallow way it was articulated. I remember when the big subject among some of my left-wing friends was Iggy Azalea, which frankly reminds me of the Christian Right fretting over Marilyn Manson. There was also some twerking in a Taylor Swift video OMG it's cultural appropriation...

In retrospect this was the sign of a collapsing regime, and the rot really set in when it started being exploited by digital media companies. I read an interview with Tim Gionet (Baked Alaska) who originally went to work for Buzzfeed as a social media manager and to make lifestyle and food videos, then the editorial direction shifted to doing white privilege videos. So, the only explanation for that is that it was a business decision aimed at building traffic, as this stuff was going viral. Gionet then easily made the pivot to right-wing culture warrior after that gold mine was exhausted.
Here's a really interesting video on the subject that I really liked (the whole channel is actually really good):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWM2E9oHlhA

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Frustration and insecurity leads to fascism, so it's not surprising that your more hapless friend's are further down the rabbit hole.

Might be time to cut the cord and move on to better friends.

I don't end friendships because of politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I don't end friendships because of politics.

Collaborator