Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I bit the bullet and backed out of my 3.5 game I was in. I want to know where the story goes but I just don't enjoy any of the mechanics of 3.5. I feel bad since I am the healbot but it just isn't enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Len posted:

I bit the bullet and backed out of my 3.5 game I was in. I want to know where the story goes but I just don't enjoy any of the mechanics of 3.5. I feel bad since I am the healbot but it just isn't enjoyable.

Good call, if you're not having fun what's even the point of playing games.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kwyndig posted:

Good call, if you're not having fun what's even the point of playing games.

Yeah. I assured the DM it isn't him. He's grown to be a really fun DM since we started playing back in 01/02 the rules are more guidelines than fact but I just don't enjoy it. There's too much crunch with it. I've realized at this point I just like rules light games more.

Now I just have to actually be able to play them. If I can't get a Trail of Cthulhu game going this weekend I'm going to try a play online one.

How's the FFG Star Wars game? Crunchy as hell I assume?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've been looking into All Flesh Must Be Eaten and the expansions through the F&F and uh

okay so the core book seems pretty normal, basically what you'd expect for a zombie game around that time

but Enter the Zombie is one of the most utterly batshit loving bonkers supplements I have ever seen written for a game

please, please tell me they're all as insane and gonzo as that one is, I need to inject this entire game line directly into my veins

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Len posted:

Yeah. I assured the DM it isn't him. He's grown to be a really fun DM since we started playing back in 01/02 the rules are more guidelines than fact but I just don't enjoy it. There's too much crunch with it. I've realized at this point I just like rules light games more.

Now I just have to actually be able to play them. If I can't get a Trail of Cthulhu game going this weekend I'm going to try a play online one.

It's like a million times less crunchy than any version if D&D. Wouldn't call it rules light, but definitely not crunch heavy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I've been looking into All Flesh Must Be Eaten and the expansions through the F&F and uh

okay so the core book seems pretty normal, basically what you'd expect for a zombie game around that time

but Enter the Zombie is one of the most utterly batshit loving bonkers supplements I have ever seen written for a game

please, please tell me they're all as insane and gonzo as that one is, I need to inject this entire game line directly into my veins

I only read bits and pieces but they took what could have been just a generic zombie thing and gone straight Grimdark with it but instead they ran with it and went fun. I'm pretty sure there's a zombies in spaaaaaaaaaace supplement

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

JackMann posted:

Hell, I've been nominated. Ennies ain't no thing.

I won one (as a part of a larger team), got to be on the stage. It's just a small industry.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

I only read bits and pieces but they took what could have been just a generic zombie thing and gone straight Grimdark with it but instead they ran with it and went fun. I'm pretty sure there's a zombies in spaaaaaaaaaace supplement

it's not so much the fun tone as the utterly loving out-there ideas they come up with

these are actual zombie characteristics featured in Enter the Zombie:

quote:

Bloody Mass (4): the zombie is capable of just collapsing into a puddle of goo, flesh and bones on a whim. It moves at half speed and is completely immune to all damage outside of fire, acid or explosives. It can slip through cracks and even remains cohesive in water. Bloody Mass can be used as a reflexive defensive action but requires two turns to reform.

Crimson Spray (1): The zombie can, at will, spray gouts of blood up to three yards away and try to get it into an enemy’s eyes with a Dexterity test. If it hits, the blinded target has -3 to melee and -6 to ranged attacks. The big advantage is that this ability can be used in conjunction with another action without multiple action penalties. Sh-sh-shah, blood burst and a sucker punch!

Entrail Whip (2): The zombie can reach into its belly and casually rip out its small intestine to use it as a whip. The intestine is naturally shriveled and treated to be used in this way thanks to weird biology and deals no damage to remove. The whip can be used to grapple or deal 1d4x(Strength-1) damage. It’s mostly better to use it to grapple.

Melding (3): A truly grody ability that can be done when the zombie successfully grapples an opponent. The flesh of the zombie flows and becomes malleable and actually starts to stick and fuse to the victim’s skin (even slipping through fabric to make contact), trapping them in a grotesque hug and making both parties fall over. The zombie can then attack the trapped victim with a +4 bonus to hit. The victim is either freed if the zombie undoes the meld or can rip free with a Strength test, but if the test is successful both parties take 1d10x5 damage.

Snake’s Spine Lung (2/4): The zombie’s spine extends and the head rockets forward up to four yards away to attack with bites or headbutts before retracting. Just flick the switch on the action figure’s back to see a demo! At higher levels, the spine is strong enough to swing the zombie’s head like a flail, dealing 1d10xStrength damage. Because of how rapid and weird this attack is, the opponent gets -4 to defend against the first attack and -2 against the second, especially if they think they’re out of range. Using this ability counts as an attack.

Strength in Numbers (6): Taking a little bit of a cue from toku/sentai, up to five zombies that have SIN can combine their bodies into one mega beast. This takes one minute per zombie. The first zombie forms the basis of the stats and each additional zombie integrated can add +1 to each of base zombie’s physical stats. Alternately, the conglomeration can choose to forgo one of the stat bonuses and instead make the monster manifest another pair of legs or arms. Each extra set of arms gives the zombie one additional attack and defense per turn without penalty, each extra pair of legs gives two extra kick attacks per turn but slows the zombie’s move speed by 2 points. So a full five zombie conglomeration could have +5 Strength, +5 Dexterity and +5 Constitution, or could have +5 Strength, +5 Dexterity and five extra arms, or etc.

Turret Torso (1): Something has made the zombie’s spine all limber and loose, letting it turn a full 360 degrees with no problem. This is a major blessing for a zombie with a gun because what it means is that it can run and gun at the same time with no penalty, or it can stand still and gain +2 to shooting because hand, eye and gun can follow its target without having to adjust its positioning and stance. Hell, the zombie can run forwards and turn its chest 180 degrees to shoot backwards with no penalty.

Undead Flexibility (3): The zombie’s joints get nice and loose as well, giving all of its joints and connection points the ability to rotate 360 degrees with no problems. The zombie gets +1 Dexterity thanks to this along with gaining +3 to resisting locks, grabs, throws and doing Escape Artist things. The zombie can also squirm through any opening big enough to fit their body mass through (as long as it remains intact), like a bathroom window, storm drain or doggy door.

Venous Defense (2): When you don’t need blood, this opens your veins up to do weird and wacky things to pass the time. The veins poke out of the body like three inches of sharp, bristly fur, giving the zombie 1d6+1 body armor. The veins also come into play when the zombie grapples, automatically dealing 1d6x2 slashing damage.

Whirling Cyclone Kick (3): The WCK is the kung-fu use of having a 360 Crazy Spine, making the lower body spin like a top as the upper torso remains stationary and still. The zombie builds speed and will continue to balance on one foot and move normally, one leg kicking around in a constant circle until the zombie wants it to stop or the leg hits something. The kick deals 1d10xStrength damage, but the WCK needs to spin for one round in order to have sufficient momentum to do damage.

seriously, I want to know what kind of drugs the writers of this were on, because I would like to try them

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like how many pieces of zombie media, exactly, have them melting into sentient pools of goo at will and/or combining into 5-man superzombies and/or rocketing their loving heads four goddamn yards away and swinging them around at people like a flail

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

like how many pieces of zombie media, exactly, have them melting into sentient pools of goo at will and/or combining into 5-man superzombies and/or rocketing their loving heads four goddamn yards away and swinging them around at people like a flail

P-Parasite Eve?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

P-Parasite Eve?

Parasite Eve went pretty bonkers but I don't even think that went as bonkers as AFMBE does

I really want to introduce my D&D group to the game and run a oneshot of Escape from Argos with them... except I surreptitiously swap the default zombies for the scenario with custom ones, and make the custom ones as completely insane as possible

(this is a group that thought me playing a kobold cleric of Tempus in our current Curse of Strahd run was loving amazing, and they also desperately want to play World Wide Wrestling after I told them about it, so I have a feeling this'll go over pretty well :getin:)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, at least the first part was Parasite Eve because a sentient pile of goo was kind of the antagonist.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it's not so much the fun tone as the utterly loving out-there ideas they come up with

seriously, I want to know what kind of drugs the writers of this were on, because I would like to try them

When I was high school and went to the forums a lot of the userbase talked about Burning Man so probably all of the drugs.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I don't recall the other sourcebooks for AFMBE being quite as wild as the kung fu one which really seemed to lean hard on the possibilities provided by undead anatomy when it comes to martial arts, but I do remember that there was an AFMBE supplement that was all about pro wrestling so it's possible they recreated some of the magic there.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If you think that's wild, go read Infinite Kung Fu.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

Goon Project? Win an Ennie?

I didn't win, but I got nominated. But even that's pretty nuts. It was just this dumb little adventure I wrote for a friend's blog, which she ended up tossing over to a publisher. I'm not exactly a force to be reckoned with in the game industry, is what I'm saying.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
AFMBE goes gonzo but it never tops Enter The Zombie. That was peak AFMBE.

The space one gets pretty buck wild, though

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
AFMBE has always been a consistent seller for Eden so they put out a lot of supplements. Fortunately they've gotten pretty creative with it.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

Your periodic reminder that the Ennies are sketch as gently caress.

The Ennies are bad and winning one means nothing.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Randomly reminds me that when I was young there was a Dracula computer game where Dracula could kill you by picking you up by the leg, whirling you around his head and fastballing you into a wall.

The hilarious thing was that it was a text adventure and the author actually tried to write that in gothic horror style.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I was nominated for an Ennie and I haven't even written anything.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yup. Every nominee has to send the judges physical products if they exist, regardless of where the judge lives or how much shipping costs. If the judge drops out, they get to keep the books.

FWIW, to my knowledge this was changed a few years ago and now physical copies are optional.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I need to use all of these in my game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ettin posted:

FWIW, to my knowledge this was changed a few years ago and now physical copies are optional.
Well that's good anyway. I wonder if it because Fred Hicks was very public about how Evil Hat had to send a huge stack of games overseas to a judge who ended up dropping out, and they ended up having to eat that cost.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

Goon Project? Win an Ennie?
I have an Ennie... :smuggo:

... that I got when I visited the potter who used to make them, and he had a silver-painted spare...

It's a pretty sweet oversized ceramic d20. I think the new ones are fancier; this was a looong time ago.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

hyphz posted:

Yep. And where the entire adventure is rigged to force the players into those fetishes.

I F+Fed it a while back (I don't think it's in the archives, presumably because inklesspen doesn't need or want oompa-loompa inflation rape on his site)

Not "his", but honestly it's because it was a single post with no images or tables and thus easy to overlook when skimming the thread (I don't read every post).

I'm willing to add it if you want that dubious honor.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 5, 2017

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Sorry for the incorrect pronoun! I'd add it on the slender chance that someone might see what crap they're putting in the Ennies..

On that topic. Has anyone actually played OLD?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
There you go: https://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/hyphz/blood-in-the-chocolate/

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
So my friends and I just had an argument over whether pineapples have square grids or hexagonal. It turns out that they have both! When they are green and underripe youngsters, they have square grids, but then they age into beautiful golden fruits with hexagons briefly before turning into rotting garbage. It's nature's perfect metaphor for becoming a grognard.

Here's a picture illustrating the change: http://img2.21food.com/simg/product/2015/9/3/stdenissa-07230570.jpg Note that each segment on the golden one in the center of the shot has six adjacent segments, while on the dark green one next to it, each segment has 4 adjacent along an edge and 4 adjacent through corners.

I knew you folks would appreciate this.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

hyphz posted:

Randomly reminds me that when I was young there was a Dracula computer game where Dracula could kill you by picking you up by the leg, whirling you around his head and fastballing you into a wall.

The hilarious thing was that it was a text adventure and the author actually tried to write that in gothic horror style.
I really need to know which Dracula game this was. (There is a surprising plenitude of Dracula adventure games.)

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Halloween Jack posted:

I really need to know which Dracula game this was. (There is a surprising plenitude of Dracula adventure games.)

Um.. "Dracula". By CRL in 1986 for C64 and other 8-bits.

Edit. Here we go:

Rod Pike, Dracula 1986 posted:

His eyes are read, like burning coals! His features are twisted with fury.... he moves towards me.... his thin red lips retract to reveal the most viscious (sic) rat like teeth! I breath in shallow gasps... there doesn't seem to be any air! AND I CANNOT MOVE!

"You have served your purpose Hanken. Now your inquisitiveness has led to your demise." He lunges at me and grabs my ankles. NO! He swings me around his head!... Faster and faster! He is walking ever closer to the wall! The cold.. stone.... wall! "Your stupid brain is about to see the light of day!... And then my friend, I WILL drink deeply, HA HA!"

This is by no means all there is.

quote:

THE MANIACAL FACE OF RENFIELD IS ABOVE ME! "Hello Doctor" His voice is quite but full of menace. "I want you to see where I have been hiding. But I know you would not come willingly, and I could not carry you far. I am going to take... just your eyes with me... HA HA HA!" He holds a knife at my throat!... Then.. then he produces... A SPOON!!!!

When I was a child I was genuinely frightened of this game

hyphz fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 5, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Okay, I'll admit the Renfield thing is a little creepy, but holy loving :lol: the mental image of Dracula swinging a human around like a flail while gloating about their brain seeing the light of day

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Final Fantasy IX confirmed best Final Fantasy Game by the creator.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I prefer the Dracula computer game that was basically a primitive rendition of a D&D campaign. You bought equipment, controlled each of 5 (or maybe 6?) characters in turn order, wandered around creepy buildings in London while occasionally he would invade your base and attack Mina, and you had to find him by midnight of October 31st or the game ended.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wish he did real games instead of Mobage these days!!! Someone save him and Yasumi Matsuno for god's sake!!!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So he picked his favorite child, big deal. I'd be more impressed (and confused) if he said something like Final Fantasy XI is the best Final Fantasy Game. Or if it wasn't a joke video.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

God, I wish. Enter The Zombie is so beautiful for the fact that it's just balls-to-the-wall nuts, the devs clearly had a passion for the topic and it showed. My initial plan was to shotgun the books back to back but then I got to Pulp Zombies, and Pulp Zombies is competent but it's not...stellar. It's a marvelously creative series but unfortunately not a lot of them ever really hit that same fever pitch that Enter the Zombie does. And being as long running a series as it is, the problem is that there's a whole lot of "yeah, this is alright" or "this is pretty good!" and not a whole lot of inspired stuff like the zombie fighting abilities.

I should get back on the undead horse and take some chunks out of the series again, maybe when I'm done with the core book of Abandon All Hope and before I do the premade campaigns.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

So he picked his favorite child, big deal. I'd be more impressed (and confused) if he said something like Final Fantasy XI is the best Final Fantasy Game. Or if it wasn't a joke video.

It's the easiest hundo he's ever made

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

He's right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Len posted:

Compared to D&D3.5? No way. Its explicitly a narrative system of 'interpret the dice to create cool and exciting scenes all the time' kind of game. There is still crunch because ffg love their gear porn but the main part of the system is very much 'be creative and come up with something exciting for every dice check' so its generally a pretty fast paced and loose kind of game.

EDIT: It even does a really good job and mixing force users and non-force users together without either outshining the other which is usually a gigantic problem hole for star wars rpgs.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 6, 2017

• Locked thread