Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

algebra testes posted:

I beat another human at street fighter five and it felt incredible.

He'd do these really big combos and whiff and I''d hit my cammy f+HK MP Arrow combo and do lots of damage and it was great.

And then I played a bunch of people 1000s of rank points above me and got whupped.

I don't know what I think about this game.

Work on abusing mp. Its a good button. When it hits do a crouching mp and a hk spiral arrow. You'll put them in the corner after a few of those and then they are toast.

Also Crouch hp is a great poke when you have full meter. When it hits just mash super and theyre hosed.

Also the game is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://youtu.be/Dn_hHdhC7So

Aris with the real pro sfv strats here.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

It's sad to think that some people's first fighting game is SFv. It can potentially turn them away from the genre all together.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Keegers posted:

It's sad to think that some people's first fighting game is SFv. It can potentially turn them away from the genre all together.

I used to dick around in the KOF games on MAME back in the day. When I started this up I spent for ever "Trying to find the mode where I fight 10 dudes, a boss and then get a cutscene?!?"

:negative: :negative:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Owned by lazy capcom

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thank you based ono and based dimps

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Got a new gfx card and monitor yesterday, celebrated by buying SF5 because now i can finally run it.

I wonder when Tekkens going on sale?

(Truth tho its fun i guess but where's Remy, no one wanted Charlie again, I want my Flash Kick Morissey, dammit.)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Quad posted:

(Truth tho its fun i guess but where's Remy, no one wanted Charlie again, I want my Flash Kick Morissey, dammit.)
Yes brother.

Everyone's going on about Charlie and Guile but I just want my effite French chargeguy with the nice hair badass shirt and giant hands.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Keegers posted:

First one I actually learned about things and played somewhat seriously.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I think the game overall is worse than 4 but I'd probably have a better time being a complete newb in this game than 4. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
being a complete newbie playing against people way higher level than you should be a loving nightmare in any competitive game worth a poo poo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

was vanilla 4 lame?

i only got into fighters when xrd -sign- launched. usf4 is so much better than 5 its not funny.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Real hurthling! posted:

was vanilla 4 lame?

i only got into fighters when xrd -sign- launched. usf4 is so much better than 5 its not funny.

Vanilla 4 sucked

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cool cool

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Guess which person with a major mental illness is online today complaining about "Low IQ Crazy Mika"

that's right

The president of the United States :laugh:

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 29, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Guess which person with a major mental illness is online today complaining about "Low IQ Crazy Mika"

that's right

dang it ya got me :v:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Intel&Sebastian posted:

that's right

Hail Satan

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I have decided to try to git gud at fighting games after falling off of them for years and years because I didn't know anyone locally to play against and I never enjoyed played against AI. Online fixes that problem.

I've screwed around a bunch in training mode, and I have a decent grasp of the various systems and concepts.

I am struggling to regularly pull off combos that require links in competitive play. The one that I've been working on is Akuma's Cr. mid punch - St. mid kick - l. tatsu. I've become pretty good at in training mode, but there's something about the precise link timing and then the super fast input required to get tatsu to combo out of St. mid kick that I can't ever get it to work against a live opponent. Is this just a matter of practice?

I'm having a much easier time pulling off cancelable combos. For instance, I can nail Jumping mid kick - Cr. mid kick - m. tatsu - EX DP all drat day online, but obviously if I'm going against someone decent enough to anti-air me most of the time, this isn't super useful.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

il serpente cosmico posted:

I have decided to try to git gud at fighting games after falling off of them for years and years because I didn't know anyone locally to play against and I never enjoyed played against AI. Online fixes that problem.

I've screwed around a bunch in training mode, and I have a decent grasp of the various systems and concepts.

I am struggling to regularly pull off combos that require links in competitive play. The one that I've been working on is Akuma's Cr. mid punch - St. mid kick - l. tatsu. I've become pretty good at in training mode, but there's something about the precise link timing and then the super fast input required to get tatsu to combo out of St. mid kick that I can't ever get it to work against a live opponent. Is this just a matter of practice?

I'm having a much easier time pulling off cancelable combos. For instance, I can nail Jumping mid kick - Cr. mid kick - m. tatsu - EX DP all drat day online, but obviously if I'm going against someone decent enough to anti-air me most of the time, this isn't super useful.

you need to go into training mode with 3 bar lag (hyperbolic lag chamber) to simulate the delay of online

edit: this is the wrond thread i thought we were talking about tekken apologies

Rite Of Massage fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 5, 2017

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

the timings for links dont really change online, and links are easy in sfv. it probably has more to do with the mental aspect of it.. trying to do something in match vs in training mode, which means you just need to do both a lot more of both

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Confirming a hit into something intentional is something that's going to take more than just pure muscle practice. That parts important but harder is the part where you land a hit and don't freak out, but follow through with purpose. It's going to come with a ton of playing.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Checking in to see if Alex has his SF3 costume yet.

Well lol

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Thanks for the tips everyone--I'll keep practicing and I'm sure I'll eventually get there.

I figured out the timing for Akuma's best meaty attack (cr. Heavy Punch), and just went on an 8 match winning streak abusing the gently caress out of it in scrub tier. It links into his target combo, which does very good damage, stun, and corner carry for how easy it is to execute.

I keep getting owned by grapplers though.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Firstborn posted:

Checking in to see if Alex has his SF3 costume yet.

Well lol

This is why I play on PC. SF Alpha Birdie and SF3 Alex skins are already here. They even have a mod that changes his costume for the City in Chaos level.

https://youtu.be/zt7AImJn_3k

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Crayvex posted:

This is why I play on PC. SF Alpha Birdie and SF3 Alex skins are already here. They even have a mod that changes his costume for the City in Chaos level.

https://youtu.be/zt7AImJn_3k

holy poo poo alpha birdie actually looks super cool. that'd be a great alt depending on how much of his belly is part of his hurtbox b/c having that dichotomy of silly fat birdie and actually cool swole birdie would highlight how neat both are

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Fereydun posted:

holy poo poo alpha birdie actually looks super cool. that'd be a great alt depending on how much of his belly is part of his hurtbox b/c having that dichotomy of silly fat birdie and actually cool swole birdie would highlight how neat both are

Fat Birdie is best Birdie

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Fereydun posted:

he looks better than regular birdie and his weird grossness/eating habits somehow feel like they make him a less one-dimensional character

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if SFV wanted a stupid fatman that badly they could have just put Rufus in the game instead of transplanting his personality and eating habits onto Birdie

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

if SFV wanted a stupid fatman that badly they could have just put Rufus in the game instead of transplanting his personality and eating habits onto Birdie

Birdie is obsessed with his girlfriend and beating up Ken Masters using his own personal kung-fu?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
the idea that a character that hasn't been in the series for decades real time became fat and over the hill is one of the few good ideas this game has, and its a great improvement over "generic anime thug badguy" that birdie was rocking before

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

darealkooky posted:

the idea that a character that hasn't been in the series for decades real time became fat and over the hill is one of the few good ideas this game has, and its a great improvement over "generic anime thug badguy" that birdie was rocking before

where in the the timeline is this game compared to alpha series? isn't it just a little bit ahead, in sf universe time?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Thanks for the tips everyone--I'll keep practicing and I'm sure I'll eventually get there.

I figured out the timing for Akuma's best meaty attack (cr. Heavy Punch), and just went on an 8 match winning streak abusing the gently caress out of it in scrub tier. It links into his target combo, which does very good damage, stun, and corner carry for how easy it is to execute.

I keep getting owned by grapplers though.

Make sure to purchase a 1 hour lesson from gootecks for the low price of $150.

http://www.crosscountertraining.com/gootecks

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SFV? Not even once.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Can I pay LTG to turn my into a cuck instead?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

how much for a session with Future Gootecks

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'm convinced that if anyone pays for those isn't out to learn anything but just to support their favorite streamers. Has to be.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm convinced that if anyone pays for those isn't out to learn anything but just to support their favorite streamers. Has to be.

That'd make the most sense. I can't imagine you'd get any more out of it than if you'd just watched some YouTube videos and read some guides. But then again, people pay a shitton of money for online personal training, so what do I know.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Zand posted:

where in the the timeline is this game compared to alpha series? isn't it just a little bit ahead, in sf universe time?

IIRC Alpha takes place sometime between 1987 and 1990, and V takes place in like 1995-1996

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If i cared a lot about getting better I'd pay it but not to gootecks lol