Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I liked Mide and I really liked the goblin villain.

Reminder that Mide becomes a footnote in the "backstory" of one of the new minor characters of Stormblood's MSQ :lol:

I rather enjoyed Alexander, goblins aside, and absolutely didn't enjoy FF5, and already Omega is something I can't even deny to myself as being a superior experience out the gate. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Edmond Dantes posted:

Just one more question before I pull the trigger: Do black mages get better looking stuff down the line? Because the job preview gear is awful, and I'm currently rocking something that makes me look like a cat nun. :catstare:

If you ever get the chance to do World of Darkness, you can find some good looking BLM gear.
https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/File:World_of_darkness_caster_gear1.jpg

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 5, 2017

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Omega v2.0 has Tonberries glaring down at you from the ledges up above. Probably preparing to stab you if you don't impress them.

As for the story behind Omega (and Zenos too), I guess everybody is Goku now. Which pretty much fits my impression of the WoL too so it works out.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

You guys really should play Final Fantasy V. It takes about 10 hours to complete and it's one of the more mechanically robust FFs out there, albeit in such a way that you won't really appreciate it unless you beat it at least a couple times.

At the absolute minimum FFV is where the series realized what a golden opportunity it had in its job system ethos. Every game afterward has been a riff on it. (you could argue that FF1-4 was it, but FFV was when Square went "We really have something here that we can shape into whatever we want.")

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I googled FF5 and it looks like something I'd play on my C64, so uh, no thanks.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Truga posted:

Sounds like you need to glamour some new glasses mate

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Truga posted:

LOAD "LASIK",8,1

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Last time I played FFV it took me about 30 hours. 10 sounds lightning quick.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You're right, the c64 font wasn't quite as ugly.

And it's even worse, the version on steam is apparently a mobile version of the game and there's people complaining the UI is trash? Even classic FF UI is garbage, how much of a dumpster fire is that port?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Farmed a whole ton today and got the Lakshmi dog. I have 3 full sets of accessories now, too. Oof.

Omega was pretty fun, I think I got lucky though. Only one wipe during all 4 bosses.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm thinking about maybe changing to a highlady. idk

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Truga posted:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Truga posted:

You're right, the c64 font wasn't quite as ugly.

And it's even worse, the version on steam is apparently a mobile version of the game and there's people complaining the UI is trash? Even classic FF UI is garbage, how much of a dumpster fire is that port?
I've changed my mind, you can stay on the euro server

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Augus posted:

I'm thinking about maybe changing to a highlady. idk

we're great. here's my female highlander toon

WHat a Babe

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Nero looks so much like Albert Wesker now that I refuse to believe this isn't a nod to one of Wesker's lines from RE5.

In other news, the Deltascape was a hell of a lot more fun than I thought it would be. I was not expecting Exdeath and I am going to call right now that the Savage version of the fight is going to have a tighter nod to Final Fantasy V's final boss fight in which he is consumed by the void and reemerges as Neo Exdeath, giving us an entire second phase.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 5, 2017

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Do female Roe MCH have the same sweet Matrix kick flips that Lalas do?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SKULL.GIF posted:

You guys really should play Final Fantasy V. It takes about 10 hours to complete and it's one of the more mechanically robust FFs out there, albeit in such a way that you won't really appreciate it unless you beat it at least a couple times.

Alternatively you can live vicariously through several other people who've played though the game with a variety of expertise, caveats and challenges.

And if you say you don't want your eyes to glaze over at screenshots of an old SNES game consider it something else to do while waiting for DPS queues or something :colbert:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Givin posted:

Do female Roe MCH have the same sweet Matrix kick flips that Lalas do?

I think all races have the same animations

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Dear Square, please have the next omega raid's boss be Zeromus. :pray:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

All the combat animations are the same across all races/genders AFAIK.

vOv fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 5, 2017

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Countblanc posted:

I think all races have the same animations

People tell me that Elezen animations look janky because of the long limbs but I've never paid enough attention to spot anyone actually playing one.

I had two Lalafell doing Cutter's Cry and I didn't know what to think.

Everyone's a human or cat with the odd Rog mostly.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I think I may have to just bite the bullet and create my character on another server and transfer down the line. Any recommendations on decent NA servers that won't be locked out? Just afraid of ending up on a server where I barely see anyone in the cities or out leveling and where the economy is sparse.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Nero's battle stance makes me suspect he's a DRK. I don't think any other jobs have that particular stance.

It's definitely not DRK. It's a stance unique to gunblade users.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

kojei posted:

Definitely not DRK. I had a bit where Cid and Nero both synced up with eachother and were hitting the mob I was tanking at the same time with the same GLD animations. And you know how your attack animations default to GLD if you're not a DoW/DoM. (If you don't, go switch over to a DoL/DoH and go hit a dummy for a bit, compare it to GLD/PLD autos. Heck, try doing /vpose and /bstance as a DoL/DoH.)

The only special thing appears to be Nero having a special idle, and an animation for firing the gunblade, which he seems to use on cooldown. Otherwise, it's just GLD autoattack animations out of him.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Nero uses the same animations that Gaius used. He even has the same multi-swing attack.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

I've changed my mind, you can stay on the euro server

I was mostly joking, but then I was checking out the steam store to maybe buy it, and apparently it's a really lovely mobile version being sold as a pc port and welp they can keep it. Especially for the price. I was expecting $2 for a 25 year old game on sale.

I'm definitely staying on the euro server though, it's real good.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

kojei posted:

So what job would use a gunblade when we inevitably go to Garlemald?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Clarste posted:

SeeD Candidate

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Clarste posted:

commando or ravager

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Clarste posted:

I *hope* everyone gets a magitek weapon at some point or another. I've been hankering after the magitek hammer things for my WAR ever since I first laid eyes on it in Praetorium. (Being wielded by one Nero tol Scaeva, no less. =E)

Although the idea of books with guns in them amuses me to no end.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 5, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Coughing Hobo posted:

Nero uses the same animations that Gaius used. He even has the same multi-swing attack.

Considering how Fordola uses theirs when they get one I imagine Garlean gunblades come standard with that pistol shot, Innocence (the three blade swipe) and the delayed sword beams.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

How do I do big pulls as SCH?

And before someone says level AST or WHM, I am working on WHM.

I have been doing the following as tank gathers up the mobs:
  • Chain strategem any big bads.
  • Cleric stance if up
  • Shadow flare if up
  • Bio II / Misasma, bane if I have stacks

• If tank is getting murdered, lustrate if I have stacks.
  • if tank is getting murdered a bit slower emergency tactics -> adlo, swift casting if needed.
  • if tank is getting murdered and I don't have stacks or ET, then dissapate and do the above.
  • if tank is getting murdered and I can't do any of that, physick spam and pray.

• if tank is taking steady damage, do the above when at or around 50% perfering ET- > adlo to save stacks for bane or lustrate in a pinch
  • if tank is taking damage slow and steady just rouse and drop Physick or adlos as needed.

• replace adlo with succor and lustrate with indomidable as needed for AoE.

• Broil the lowest health thing I can find because more dead = less incoming damage.

I just want to be sure this makes sense. I've still had a couple tanks blow up on me though I'm not always sure who's at fault. There's too many variables when running with different pug tanks because of the gear and skill spread.

I had most tanks in doma pull some packs before the bridge, then stop and solo pull the armor knight, then grab the next two packs before the first boss. But once I had one guy do the armor knight with the pack before it and the pack after it, and Eos gets clobbered by the cleaves since the knight is spinning all around because he's gotta dodge the other enemies' AoEs too. I mentioned in chat that it's easier to solo pull that a pack, and the RDM was like "Sorry he's used to doing it with my WHM. Might just be easier than SCH". :smith:

Another time today tank pulled some bridge ninjas in kugane, an armor knight, and then two more ninjas spawn and run for me, so pause healing a sec and drag them to the tank and he just explodes from 70% to 0% in like one and a half GCDs. And then he's just like "I guess I have to go easier". But is that because he was bad and not using cool downs, or was it my fault?

So obviously it's pugs, but I just want to be sure I'm on the right track here, and that I'm not doing something inefficient and dumb, or trying to DPS too much.

Also I almost never use Excogitation. Maybe I should? It just feels like a waste of a stack if it doesn't pop.

Is sacred soil ever used? I only touch that when I know unavoidable boss AoE is happening.

I switched to Eos since storm blood instead of Selene like the old days. Is this the thing to do now?

The faerie bar I know people complain about it not being great, but I can slap that faerie on the tank with it and then forget about healing for a long while and just broil the poo poo out of the bosses and the only healing I have to worry about is AoE hitting the DPS. Especially good with Rouse.

I took rescue too because I find it fun and like finding ways to use it. Keeper of the lake pub tank not pulling the dragons away/to the boss? Move the tank yourself!

In Doma the other night I had the boss put that "Get away from here" marker on a SAM that ran and dropped it on the other corner of the room. As soon as it was locked in, I rescued him right back to the boss and he could resume DPS. Dude was singing praises in chat afterwards.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

itskage posted:

Another time today tank pulled some bridge ninjas in kugane, an armor knight, and then two more ninjas spawn and run for me, so pause healing a sec and drag them to the tank and he just explodes from 70% to 0% in like one and a half GCDs. And then he's just like "I guess I have to go easier". But is that because he was bad and not using cool downs, or was it my fault?

It may not have been the case here, but I have read of some tanks, pulling a bunch of enemies all at once, dying, then saying "OK, I guess it's small pulls this time" as a way to not have anyone argue about small pulls for the rest of the run.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fey union would be good if it didn't expose every single way pets are screwed up in FFXIV.

When I use fey union even if the faerie is in range I have to count on up to a 10 second delay before healing starts. Then if the tank moves a little bit even if in the short range the beam seems to break sometimes. If the tank went out of range the faerie will break, move close to the tank then restart the cast. When any of this happens the faerie bar will keep ticking down but the target won't be healed.

It is a completely unreliable skill.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

pray for my aunt posted:

Uhh big hats every day?

The Shire casting tophat was amazing and I glamoured it onto my head slot up until the high 60s.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Coughing Hobo posted:

I want to know why he hasn't pulled Mjolnir out of his pocket. We didn't break it or something back in Castrum Praetorium, did we?

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Leveling EXP numbers

I need to do more dungeons.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
So how do I play Astro? The card mechanics and having regular and aspected version of spells feels like it ends up with just a really large amount of buttons worth of stuff to use. Leveling both that and WHM and the latter feels a lot more straightforward.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Truga posted:

Well O1 is kinda boring mechanically, and 2 is a bit better, but 3 and 4 are pretty good poo poo. Apart from O1, fights are better than alexander, even if the backdrop is super whatever. "Hey fight these random simulations to prove you're stronk." I know, MMO stories, but FF14 at least pretended to try.

Also there's no fight where I get to spam flare forever like in A2? What the gently caress yoship? Is this why you gave us foul and quad flares? Come on.

Omega V.3 is definitely my favorite of this crop. Such a delightful phase shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Skaw posted:

Omega V.3 is definitely my favorite of this crop. Such a delightful phase shift.

O3N is super chill and a bit too easy for my taste, but I'm extremely hype for the savage version which I'll totally do.