Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Lockback posted:

Is that better than KAT/Taj/Butler/Wiggins/Teague?
No way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
It's risky enough having Griffin or Gallinari as one of the focal points of your offense, but both, yeesh

I'm going to be nervous every time I watch a Clippers game

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

attackmole posted:

Yeah he was the defensive glue.

Also, as much as his offense disappeared on us and was frustrating, he still shot 37% on his threes. Now, here's a list of the current people on the Raptor's bench that can hit a three pointer at or above a league average rate: Fred Van Vleet.

I'm gonna miss him.

Start of the season's gonna be real ugly. Masai has too much pride to fire Casey after getting knocked out by the Cavs, but maybe he'll do it if we suck poo poo to start the year (ahhaha no he won't). Also honestly the East is looking so bad this year that it's gonna be incredibly hard to go under .500 tbh. But who knows, maybe they can do it.

I also wish he could stay around, but I'm gonna pull an I told you so and mention that I made an effort post months ago that ran the numbers and figured that the Ibaka/Lowry signings alone would put TO over the luxury tax line and that barring a miracle playoff run (that didn't happen), MLSE wouldn't be willing to pay for either of Tucker or Patterson to be renewed because it would put them solidly in the 10 million over the tax line bracket (where the tax jumps up sharply).

For reference, the current team salary is 130 million (hoopshype hasn't added the Ibaka and Lowry contracts in yet), and the tax line is 119 million. This team is so expensive that I'm not even sure that it would look to add any veteran contracts on top of that. The only way we'll have room to move is Carroll gets unloaded and/or JV gets traded.

Capped out and deep in the tax isn't a great look for a team as flawed as the Raptors. But hey, at least we're not Portland.

I'll be stunned if the Raptors are not a 50+ win team again.

No real issue with 2Pat. One of my fave memories was in the playoffs a couple years ago against either the Pacers or Heat, when he hit a three in front of their bench and flashed the three sign and did a hockey goal celebration floor swipe.

He was a glue guy but he got hurt and Tucker ate his lunch. He has never been a good rebounder but he does hit threes at a good clip but last year he seemed to miss all the ones at the game's big moments. My personal basketball hell is 2Pat and Carroll missing open 3s forever.

If Masai can dump JV. The defense will be one of the better ones in the league.

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating
Following the offseason here is exciting :3:

Especially now my good good Timberwolves are looking like a team that'll be even more fun to watch!

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Apart from the odd Lou Williams heat check game that Clippers team is going to be boring as gently caress to watch unless Griffin remembers how to dunk over cars again

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I'm about to go into cancer surgery, here's to hoping the knicks would improve today too. Humor me in what non dolan ways the knicks could get better this offseason

I hope you bounce your cancer like Charles Oakley at a Knicks game

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I'm about to go into cancer surgery, here's to hoping the knicks would improve today too. Humor me in what non dolan ways the knicks could get better this offseason

Good luck! I beat the beast and you can too!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kinda hard to get excited for this upcoming Heat season when it looks like the best-case scenario is that they bring the same team back from last year.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FlamingLiberal posted:

Kinda hard to get excited for this upcoming Heat season when it looks like the best-case scenario is that they bring the same team back from last year.

I dunno, they're at least in a really good position to go bargain hunting, pick up guys on excellent deals, and get some ammo for trades + assets from salary dumps

Edit: Or not, I guess they're already at $93M? How were they bidding on Hayward?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I expect that in discussions with FAs it's ok to "bid" without having the cap room cleared up if you can show a viable path.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

gnoma posted:

Losing Hayward sucks. Now the tension as a Jazz fan is waiting to see Shelvin Mack sign somewhere else so Snyder can't keep giving him minutes. If Exum/Hood/Mitchell are given a chance to show something and take steps forward then maybe next season won't be the worst. Favors not being at 40% all year with whatever injures would also be a boon.

They haven't been shy about playing Hood, he just keeps getting hurt. And they've tried to give Exum chances but he's so terrible offensively it's hard to justify, especially when you're a playoff team.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I expect that in discussions with FAs it's ok to "bid" without having the cap room cleared up if you can show a viable path.

Yes, agents pretty much demand to see the plan to clear space, competing teams try to convince agents that their plan won't work.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
That $93M apparently also included Bosh, who I guess is getting (at least partially) wiped

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/tribjazz/status/882474920587821057

Hopefully this is just his agent using Utah for leverage because the Jazz really do not need to overpay another 30 year old coming off a flukey career year.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/882429565687255044

I don't hate this

e: apparently they've also offered a 2 year deal to Nick Young

Tyus-SwaggyP-Miles-Bjelly-Dieng is a bench I can get behind

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 5, 2017

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

They were probably the 4th best team in the conference by the end of the year. Crappy start kept them out of the playoffs. With the Bulls, Pacers, and Hawks on the way out, they're at least a lock for the playoffs and have a good chance at making the second round.

They also should have some money to go after Rudy Gay or CJ Miles.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Good luck. And watch this on repeat.

http://www.nba.com/video/2017/05/17/20170517-bright-lights-starks-dunks-bulls-1993

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/882580263750053889

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't hate this

If they can swing a bench like that, low-key it's probably a better move than getting Lowry. Their bench cost them so many games last year.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Good luck man. Not to get you too excited but, Dion Waiters is allegedly on the Knicks radar.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I was a bit harsh on Patterson but like Danny said he really did miss every big shot last year.
I also think those plus/minus stats are a bit misleading because they're more of an indictment of the team not having an actual 4 until they traded for Ibaka/Tucker. Like when Pat wasn't in the game Casey was playing a broken Amir Johnson, Pascal Siakim, Poertl, Bebe, Carroll, or Chuck Hayes. Being the best front court defender on the Raps wasn't too hard except (minus that month when Bismack played out of his mind).

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

hitze posted:

otto is fuckin cool ok

Bruh

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Good luck and kick its rear end!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

-wrong thread-

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Your friends here in the NBA Goos and Views thread stand in solidarity with you in your fight against cancer.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

Your friends here in the NBA Goos and Views thread stand in solidarity with you in your fight against cancer.

hell yeah we do

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't hate this

Yes yes yes yes dooooooo ittttttt!!!!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/byjayking/status/882608431961579520

What is this

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

If they can swing a bench like that, low-key it's probably a better move than getting Lowry. Their bench cost them so many games last year.

Yeah, our starters were actually really good together last year (I think one of the top five in the league? I feel like that's too high but it's what's in my head) but our bench was God Awful

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Noooooooo...Nick..!

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
This is hell.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
:stare:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Now Gasol would be a player that would put Boston ahead of Cleveland imo

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That just seems another "Sources think" thing. It's not actually going to happen.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

You can uhh have your pick back my friend

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Wouldn't it be a bit of a logjam with both Horford and Gasol?

Although I'm not sure how they'd make the salaries work without giving up Horford

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Wouldn't it be a bit of a logjam with both Horford and Gasol?

Although I'm not sure how they'd make the salaries work without giving up Horford

I don't know about the salaries, but Horford's natural position is the 4. The idea is to get a great defensive center who can also bang down low.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWJhHJZFjgb/

Amazing

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/882602054950072322

Lmao oh my god, the salt. The headline on the left really tickles me because that guy's name is Gordon too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Good luck m8. They'll offload Derrick Rose for pics.

• Locked thread