Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

For max mitigation you need to include shields as well. I have around 38k hp at the moment (would be 45 with vit accessories) so thats a 3.8k-4.5k shield. Crit adlo on a warrior with defiance, convalescence, fey illumination, etc has to be around 13-14k at this point so thats 26k of extra mitigation.

I think you could probably shield through alexander's judgement beam unsynced at 70 with shields/mitigation up.

Yeah, that's true, I was only thinking about raw percentage mitigation, but factoring in SCH/nocturnal AST shields I'm sure you could cut down group damage by a pretty huge amount overall.

Is there any reliable way to tell if an attack is physical or magical? I know some of the percentile mitigation abilities, like Troubadour and Palisade, rely on what kind of damage you're mitigating, but I've heard it can be kind of inconsistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Harrow posted:

Interesting, thanks.

Now I want to find out what the highest amount of group damage reduction you can stack is, for things like primal ultimates. PoA, the Bole on a group (so 10% in that case), Troubadour... is there any more available? I know there are single-target damage-reducers, like Palisade, but I'm thinking for a whole group. I considered including Dismantle and Reprisal but if we're talking about a primal ultimate, they're going to be untargetable for longer than those last in I'm pretty sure every case.

Sacred Soil and Collective Unconscious, too. Also Fey Covenant (e:oops), but that increases magic defense.

VHGS fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 5, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VHGS posted:

Sacred Soil and Collective Unconscious, too. Also Fey Illumination, but that increases magic defense.

Gah, how did I forget Sacred Soil? My first job to 50 was SCH :negative:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

Is there any reliable way to tell if an attack is physical or magical? I know some of the percentile mitigation abilities, like Troubadour and Palisade, rely on what kind of damage you're mitigating, but I've heard it can be kind of inconsistent.

Only by hitting a button and then checking damage before vs after. ACT helps a bunch there I guess if you have that set up, otherwise just manually parsing the battle log.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay, doing some quick napkin note card math, it looks like the most percentile damage reduction for a group you can get is 45.3% for physical, 55.4% for magical (thanks, Fey Covenant). This is all assuming we're stacking Passage of Arms, Troubadour for the right type of damage, AoE the Bole, Sacred Soil, Collective Unconscious, and (for magical damage) Fey Covenant.

That's a lot, and that's before factoring in the shields that will definitely be there with an AST and a SCH in the group. Kinda cool. I mean there was no reason for me to calculate all this but it was fun to think about.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bell_ posted:

I feel you on the dual-cast, but that hasn't hit me the past few days compared to release.

Apparently Its a routing issue and a lot of europeans playing in the US servers are feeling the same way I was feeling. Using a vpn completely bypassed the problem. Im not feeling any lag or experiencing DCs anymore.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Mister Olympus posted:

This is another plank of evidence in the argument that taters are an evolved creation like the Ixal; "the south" more than anything means Meracydia, and the Onion Knight minion references late-model automaton soldiers looking much like it. Once Lalas developed sapience and started building a society, they probably fled the continent due to facing hostility--even now the residents are said to attack northerners on sight.

I don't have any primary sources, but Ethys's excellent YouTube videos (and that guy seems to know his poo poo in regards to this) suggest from the data he gathered that the lalafell migrated from islands to the south(west) in search of trading opportunities. It was the miqo'te that migrated from Meracydia and were motivated by hunger and desperation.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Europeans are still playing on US servers after the free transfer? :rip:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Rainuwastaken posted:

The monkey's paw is supposed to grant wishes that go horribly wrong.

Such as PVP being more fun, but the XP from it getting cut. MOOOONKIEEEES PAAAAAAW!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Europeans are still playing on US servers after the free transfer? :rip:

At least there's no queue for Excalibur when I play :v:

Also I don't do ~endgame~ things so it's mainly the lag that is annoying, but not overwhelmingly so.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
TBH even in end-game the 200 ping doesn't show enough to matter, though it does make a couple of classes slightly more annoying to play.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Healing/WHM is a lot more fun when you outgear stuff, or at least don't have sucky gear. Healing ldr stuff wasn't too bad until I got to Stone Vigil - I don't know if I was bad, my gear was bad, or if the tank was bad, or some combination of the three. My gear was pretty close to my level but the tank would just melt, i lost them a few times on aoe pulls and was basically going oom just keeping them alive. It's a ton more fun now that I'm 60 and have shire gear and some more options to emergency heal and get mana back.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

Gah, how did I forget Sacred Soil? My first job to 50 was SCH :negative:

Well shadowflare is better in dungeons so if you never ran ex primals you really wouldn't have had a use for it. It's not like say asylum which you should more or less be using on cooldown.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

PvP has really revitalized playing this game for me. It is so much fun rolling around as a Summoner and just making GBS threads out damage. Even with the exp nerf it's still worthwhile to play, at worst as an alternative to PotD.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

They are re-using the old drop table from Alexander, so have this handy goon-created table.

Ignore the bit about the quest giving a bolt, that was true then, and no indication of whether or not it will be true now. Everything else is correct.

This is a bad table. Unless you enjoy buying a 320 chest that you will get rid of the second you buy it because you'll have the tomes for a 330 chest on week 4. That table worked because original alex had no gears that drop off the end boss that were required to buy the weapon. So your first tomestone purchase was a weapon.

Omega is super fun and I can't wait to do the savage only phase on 4.0.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

SettingSun posted:

PvP has really revitalized playing this game for me. It is so much fun rolling around as a Summoner and just making GBS threads out damage. Even with the exp nerf it's still worthwhile to play, at worst as an alternative to PotD.

I feel like PotD still reigns supreme until 60, but after that it just drops off like a rock. PvP is definitely the way to go after that.

Now if only the Immortal Flames weren't staffed entirely by literal monkeys. I try to freelance out, and the game still puts me on my home team so I can watch everybody run headfirst into the blender...

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Truga posted:

TBH even in end-game the 200 ping doesn't show enough to matter, though it does make a couple of classes slightly more annoying to play.

Playing with high ping feels like a complete poo poo hth

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there a translation of that table for people like me who didn't do Alex? I mean, I'm still a bit away from 70 so I guess it won't matter for another week or so, but still, I'm curious what that all means in terms of how you get gear in Omega.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Depths posted:

If you're a NIN. As a sch I noticed zero difference between 120 and 200. There definitely is difference between 20 and 200 though.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Depths posted:

Maybe with some classes, casters feel just fine.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Harrow posted:

Is there a translation of that table for people like me who didn't do Alex? I mean, I'm still a bit away from 70 so I guess it won't matter for another week or so, but still, I'm curious what that all means in terms of how you get gear in Omega.

The items are all named the exact same things in Omega, so no translation needed. The name of the part vaguely correlates to what kind of item you trade them in for. Lenses for your head piece, pedals for your feet, etc.

You get to take one piece of loot from each fight per week. Chest/Pants take four of their respective items, Hat/Gloves/Boots take two, and belt/accessories only take one each.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

That table worked because original alex had no gears that drop off the end boss that were required to buy the weapon. So your first tomestone purchase was a weapon.

Won't you need both gears and creation tomes to buy the weapon? Last I remember you needed Rowena's tokens.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rainuwastaken posted:

The items are all named the exact same things in Omega, so no translation needed. The name of the part vaguely correlates to what kind of item you trade them in for. Lenses for your head piece, pedals for your feet, etc.

You get to take one piece of loot from each fight per week. Chest/Pants take four of their respective items, Hat/Gloves/Boots take two, and belt/accessories only take one each.

You can also look it the item description, it shows you exactly what the part is for.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Harrow posted:

You need a certain number of a certain type of tokens to exchange for certain gear, and each token drops from a certain floor. For example, you need two pedals to buy a pair of boots, and pedals drop from V1 and V2. You can only get one token from each version per week. That table is just one of the more efficient ways to gear out a single class. The only difference is that you don't get a free bolt for completing the Deltascape quests.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

Fister Roboto posted:

You need a certain number of a certain type of tokens to exchange for certain gear, and each token drops from a certain floor. For example, you need two pedals to buy a pair of boots, and pedals drop from V1 and V2. That table is just one of the more efficient ways to gear out a single class. The only difference is that you don't get a free bolt for completing the Deltascape quests.

Ahh, okay. I was able to figure out which token corresponded to which piece (even though I assumed the names would be different) thanks to the color-coding, but I didn't know about needing multiple tokens for certain pieces, which was the confusing part. Thanks for explaining!

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Harrow posted:

Ahh, okay. I was able to figure out which token corresponded to which piece (even though I assumed the names would be different) thanks to the color-coding, but I didn't know about needing multiple tokens for certain pieces, which was the confusing part. Thanks for explaining!

These items have it in their description, like "two lenses for head gear" so you don't have to memorize it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Count Bleck posted:

I did not know that was what the One Winged Angel fight was called. Wow.

Tell me, why is he safer?

I think it's supposed to be "Seraph" but y'know, translations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Harrow posted:

Okay so you do a battle and you win and the games like here's 2 widgets that you need 4 of to get an item OR 1 doohickey you need 2 of to get an item OR 1 thingamajig that you need 1 of to get an item AND you can roll on all of these BUT you can only get one of them PER week PER boss EXCEPT for whatever builds into weapons which you don't roll for BUT 7 other people already won the rolls SO now you have to do that boss again and THEN you hang yourself from a basement rafter because its dumb as poo poo.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Shy posted:

Won't you need both gears and creation tomes to buy the weapon? Last I remember you needed Rowena's tokens.

You need 7 tokens, which means you have enough time to get both your chest and weapon before you're elligible.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Oh right.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Magil Zeal posted:

I don't have any primary sources, but Ethys's excellent YouTube videos (and that guy seems to know his poo poo in regards to this) suggest from the data he gathered that the lalafell migrated from islands to the south(west) in search of trading opportunities. It was the miqo'te that migrated from Meracydia and were motivated by hunger and desperation.

I don't have a lorebook next to me at the moment, but I remember these were also in very different Umbral Eras--cats came in the Second (?) on an ice bridge associated with that calamity, and potatoes in the fourth or fifth? Will edit when I can look this up

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Okay so you do a battle and you win and the games like here's 2 widgets that you need 4 of to get an item OR 1 doohickey you need 2 of to get an item OR 1 thingamajig that you need 1 of to get an item AND you can roll on all of these BUT you can only get one of them PER week PER boss EXCEPT for whatever builds into weapons which you don't roll for BUT 7 other people already won the rolls SO now you have to do that boss again and THEN you hang yourself from a basement rafter because its dumb as poo poo.

I will look forward to getting to 70 and then being outrolled for all eternity :negative:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mister Olympus posted:

I don't have a lorebook next to me at the moment, but I remember these were also in very different Umbral Eras--cats came in the Second (?) on an ice bridge associated with that calamity, and potatoes in the fourth or fifth? Will edit when I can look this up

I got you covered. The catgirl tribes came over during the 5th Umbral Era, or the Calamity of Ice, literally an ice age. Lalafells came over in the 5th Astral.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Shy posted:

Maybe with some classes, casters feel just fine.

I'm northern euro and I made my character from the start on excal, I played both caster and melee. Playing on omega feels like a completely new game.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

OWLS! posted:

How to do big pulls, while using Selene, and be a general pro mode.

6. Have a tank that actually hits their cooldowns.

If you have to use Eos for any dungeon big pulls, there's a serious problem with the DPS, your tank,

Here's the thing. If they're asking how to manage big pulls, these are out of their control because it's probably random pubbie tanks who grab everything and start Clemencying themselves at every scratch as opposed to someone who's going to try to be competent or even ask what the healer can manage. In that case, yeah you go for Eos because the safety net is more important than 5% action speed.

Not to mention the fact that many people have remarked that SB dungeons hit harder and the well known complaint that tanks have to choose between damage and HP so they might be more fragile than the encounter design is expecting. So...Eos it is because while you may not have to use her, by the time you're in a situation where you do it's too late.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Trasson posted:

the safety net is more important than 5% action speed.

It's only 3%.

Outside of debuff removal, I can't find a reason to use Selene. I'd rather Fey Illuminate some big adlos onto the tank so I could get another broil or two in. It's probably a better dps increase for the group.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 5, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The SB alchemist quests have some really interesting lore implications.

Particularly the idea that the Calamity could have been avoided if it wasn't for the actions of F'lhammin and her friends. You read that right, Minfillia's catmom indirectly caused the Calamity.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I realize I'm on the edge of Balmung territory with this question, but why are none of the characters have have moms and dads ever the same race as the kids. Raubahn has a potato son and Minfilia has a cat mom, but the whys of this are never ever discussed. Are all Eorzean babies adopted? Are Pipin and Minfilia actually terrifying mutant hybrids?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sade posted:

I realize I'm on the edge of Balmung territory with this question, but why are none of the characters have have moms and dads ever the same race as the kids. Raubahn has a potato son and Minfilia has a cat mom, but the whys of this are never ever discussed. Are all Eorzean babies adopted? Are Pipin and Minfilia actually terrifying mutant hybrids?

Pipin and Minfilia are adopted.

Wars and disasters leave lots of orphans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Sade posted:

Those two specifically were adopted I'm pretty sure.

Hildibrand has normal parents. Well, "normal". For Mandervilles.