Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

what is the avg time he is saying these dungeon runs last? Everyone says dungeons but if it takes 30 mins is it still better then pvp? Tank talking here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Oxyclean posted:

Someone on reddit made an up-to-date version:

Go go gadget legs *jumps to a better loot system*

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

nuru posted:

Unless Savage requires it to survive something, sacred soil right now has dubious keybind status in terms of efficiency. It's a shame because I like the succor proc it has.

Yeah in general the aetherflow stack is better spent on using Indomitability to heal the damage, as it will heal far more than would be mitigated. Unless it would save a life, of course.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
If I stopped around 3.1 or 3.2, how much content do I need to complete before I get to Stormblood?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Levantine posted:

If I stopped around 3.1 or 3.2, how much content do I need to complete before I get to Stormblood?

Not much at all really :) Its nothing like the 50+ grind to get into HW.

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Main_Scenario_Quests

There's 44 quests total from post HW to SB, and you've already done some of them. They're also mostly pretty quick and painless, although there's a couple trials and dungeons. (That's the only time consuming part really)

If you really worked at it you could do it in a single day.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Levantine posted:

3 or so more patches worth, which is about an hour of story quests, and one dungeon per patch. A couple of them might be a bit longer and have a trial as well. Get someone to get you 255 gear and you won't have any other problems.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Harlock posted:

It seems like Stormblood is doing pretty great in getting old players back. Myself included. I viewed Heavensward as kind of a lame expansion and kept the game off my radar for a while.

Honestly Heavensward was mostly great...unless you were a raider. In which case it was terrible.

Story and EX Primals and whatnot were great though! :v:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Great, thanks! The more I see of this expac the harder it is staying away. I may have to bite the bullet this weekend.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Honestly Heavensward was mostly great...unless you were a raider. In which case it was terrible.

I dunno, I got level-locked in HW like 5 loving times. I felt like I spent more time grinding dungeons than I did doing main story quests.

SB on the other hand I was consistently over-leveled through the whole thing, until finally getting caught at 68, where I did like 2 side quests and leveled up and then finished the story without issue.

Something about the HW pacing really hosed me up. Its why I put the game down.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

I never played Diadem, but it seems like that was meant to be a big thing that ended up being a wet fart too. Please look forward to the new version being mandatory.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Levantine posted:

nothing, buy a skip potion and you can go straight to SB

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

Boo. The end of the dragonsong war is awesome, and the intro to Stormblood in 3.5 was good too. The WoD thing at least had interesting implications I guess too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That's not worth a skip potion at all--3.x stuff is much shorter than 2.x, and also very good.

Here's the list of 3.x quests: https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Dragonsong_War_Quests

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno, I got level-locked in HW like 5 loving times. I felt like I spent more time grinding dungeons than I did doing main story quests.

SB on the other hand I was consistently over-leveled through the whole thing, until finally getting caught at 68, where I did like 2 side quests and leveled up and then finished the story without issue.

Something about the HW pacing really hosed me up. Its why I put the game down.

Yeah, this was more or less my experience as well. I think I cleared out Churning Mists of sidequests because of one particular level lock. It was a rough stretch.

Holyshoot posted:

Isn't the HW story skip like 30$? That doesn't feel like it's worth it on top of the SB price tag with how little remains of HW.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

They're also pretty close to the plot that is actually relevant to SB.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'd rather do the content anyway, I like the story content, even the doldrums stuff from 2.0.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't think it was really a serious suggestion, but it's important to respect the content.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Isn't the HW story skip like 30$? That doesn't feel like it's worth it on top of the SB price tag with how little remains of HW.

Yes, you have to buy the ARR and HW story skip together, which is $25, which is absurd to do if you're already in the HW postgame patch quests. Its like 4-5 hours of questing to finish those. No way is that worth the quest skip potion.

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Susano Ex down.

An extremely easy fight made difficult by people not understanding that running over a big red line is your #1 priority, not finishing your cast that will hit for 0.1% hp.

I had two attempts in a clear party last night that hit enrage at 1%. In one of them I casted Ascend 7 times. I just quit playing after that, there wasn't any point.

I've found there are two types of DPS that queue for Susano clear parties. One type does low damage, but can actually avoid mechanics. The other type does fucktons of damage, but wipes the whole raid when they ignore Levinbolt.

I'm up to 30+ attempts without a clear at this point.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kakesu posted:

Jesus loving christ, you poor bastard :ohdear:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One levinbolt shouldn't wreck you. It's annoying but scholar and WHM both can pretty much instantly negate it. I've gotten to the point I can pretty reliably heal through any mechanic screwup but a cloud-down-the-line screwup. That one is a raid-killer for sure

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Pray return to the Waking Sands

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

ImpAtom posted:

One levinbolt shouldn't wreck you. It's annoying but scholar and WHM both can pretty much instantly negate it. I've gotten to the point I can pretty reliably heal through any mechanic screwup but a cloud-down-the-line screwup. That one is a raid-killer for sure

No, I know, that was exaggerated somewhat for dramatic effect. I can heal through a single Levinbolt, it's when that gets combined with people not standing in the line or stacking for the AoE damage mechanic that things go tits up.

I had one situation last night where I was still low from a Levinbolt and purposefully kept myself away from the group during the stack phase so I didn't die when it hit; the guy with the stack marker came to me instead of to the entire rest of the group. I guess he gets points for standing next to somebody?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Kakesu posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa party finder is cross-server, post over on catgirl.bargains and get a goon party together or something. Even if you're not on Excalibur there is no reason to throw yourself into the pubbie abyss.

I don't touch EX Primals without at least one or two of my good friends precisely because of things like this.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't play any of the ports, just play them on original cart or emulator. Get a translation patch.

Just get the GBA port.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Kalenn Istarion posted:

It's probably going to be pretty tough with the new raid coming out today plus holiday. You can try again in a few days or make a char on another server and pay the transfer fee

Right so that's why I said I have been doing a rotation that includes thunder

And not F2

Unless you're in futureland and have a GCD below 2s you only need one bridging ability for the 12s transpose cooldown and thunder is better than fire. I'm on my phone so can't check numbers but pretty sure that's true even if you're clipping thunder at 12s

F2 is bad

With a 2.5 GCD you don't need a bridge at all, since B4 F3 Flare Flare is 14.5 seconds already. If we add 210*6 = 1260 potency and 3s for Thunder 4, we've got a F2-less rotation that lasts 17.5 seconds (just long enough to refresh it, more or less) and deals 302.4 pps.

Meanwhile, if we just replace a single F2 with a T4 in the long rotation, we get... 300.3 pps, which I guess means that a single F2 is worth it on 7 enemies and beyond..? I think you're right in principle.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The only "problem" with Susano is that because the mechanics are just so easily evaded that they snowball because of it. It's not that you can't take one levinbolt, it's that one levinbolt makes people panic and then it's two levin bolts and that's probably at least one raise, which is 4000 mana gone if thin air is down/no white mage there and then swiftcast is down and people are still panicking and the tank is roughly due to each the tankbuster around that time and none of this is an issue if people just do the simple mechanics right.

The only thing that is an actually troublesome mechanic is Thunderheads, but that's probably only because you don't actually get targeted by it so often that you can practice it a lot.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There have been a few groups of "try-hards" I've been in (they were actually good raiders at one point but are way too into fflogs now) that would continue to dps through the dice debuff and the levinbolts with the excuse of 'it's not fatal so I can heal through it.'

I don't get mad at games often but those fights were a tipping point. Those were also the the fights where I learned that the shell game wasn't always the 4th on the list, because I've never been in groups bad enough to see more than 26.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Does anyone have any cliff notes for snake lady (Extreme)? I'm finally pursuing the Ex primals. Rather late to the game, but I just hadn't gotten around to it. Just a quick rundown of the abilities so I'm not utterly blind would do, I can figure out how to deal with them readily enough on my own if needed.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Obligatum VII posted:

Does anyone have any cliff notes for snake lady (Extreme)? I'm finally pursuing the Ex primals. Rather late to the game, but I just hadn't gotten around to it. Just a quick rundown of the abilities so I'm not utterly blind would do, I can figure out how to deal with them readily enough on my own if needed.

Any mechanic that will hit you when she has her Chanchala buff needs you to pop a vril (you get three stacks). This can be an AOE, a stack marker, a tank buster, whatever. If she's buffed and will hit you, use it.

When the 4 adds are up, damage them all but only kill the one that has the rotating vril buff. This will restore your groups vril if done correctly.

When orbs spawn, collect them to restore your vril again.

The offtank (2nd in threat) gets cleaved at fairly commonly, so stay away from him.

Most of the other mechanics are forgiving enough that you can wing 'em.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There have been a few groups of "try-hards" I've been in (they were actually good raiders at one point but are way too into fflogs now) that would continue to dps through the dice debuff and the levinbolts with the excuse of 'it's not fatal so I can heal through it.'

I don't get mad at games often but those fights were a tipping point. Those were also the the fights where I learned that the shell game wasn't always the 4th on the list, because I've never been in groups bad enough to see more than 26.

With luck, the dice don't event stop you from doing damage because it falls off between GCDs anyways. And at worst it delays you like a second... Who would intentionally ignore the dice?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Obligatum VII posted:

When she has the Chanchala buff up (her model gets an aura of blue and black flames, and she gets what looks like a blue and black maple leaf icon on her buff bar) her next ability will be fatal to anyone who hasn't popped Vril. This means that everyone has to use Vril if she's buffed and casting a spell that starts with the word Divine (divine doubt, divine denial...) or "Strotram" which is her generic unavoidable raid damage AoE. Tanks have to use Vril if she's Chanchala'd and about to hit them with her tankbuster, "Pull of Light".

When she casts Divine Doubt, you want to pair up and scatter so that each person ends up getting melee'd by one other confused person rather than being beaten to death by a mob.

During her add phase, you want to get each snake low but NOT kill it, and then only kill snakes when they have a blue bubble around them. If you do this three times then everyone will have a charge of Vril so that they can survive Lakshmi's ult.

Whoever's second in enmity wants to be standing at a good angle away from the main tank AND the rest of the party because they're periodically targeted by a huge cone aoe.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's next to zero situations while content is current that taking avoidable damage is acceptable, especially now that weakness is really punishing.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Whenever I get put in the shell game, I make it a point to spend two seconds typing in chat which one I'm in relative to the boss since it isn't like I can do anything else. "West" or "on his butt" or whatever. I have no idea why I have never, ever seen anybody else do this.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jeez, sounds like I really need to unlearn my BLM aoe muscle memory now that I've finally hit 70. It's real relaxing just to zone out and keep on keeping on with it sometimes.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Someone posted a leveling guide a while back and I'm scouring the thread trying to find it. Can someone post it again?

Think they copy and pasted it from another forum

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Obligatum VII posted:

With luck, the dice don't event stop you from doing damage because it falls off between GCDs anyways. And at worst it delays you like a second... Who would intentionally ignore the dice?

If it's survivable, doesn't apply a stun or damage down or similar debuff, and doesn't cause the healers excess trouble to heal, then it's good and cool to eat mechanics. The bard in my static does it all the time.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Thundarr posted:

Whenever I get put in the shell game, I make it a point to spend two seconds typing in chat which one I'm in relative to the boss since it isn't like I can do anything else. "West" or "on his butt" or whatever. I have no idea why I have never, ever seen anybody else do this.

Because the fourth rock in the enmity list always has the imprisoned player.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Thundarr posted:

You can mark your shell once they're done shuffling, just pull up the marking menu while you get shuffled around and then click your rock pile with a big ol' [1].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

With a 2.5 GCD you don't need a bridge at all, since B4 F3 Flare Flare is 14.5 seconds already. If we add 210*6 = 1260 potency and 3s for Thunder 4, we've got a F2-less rotation that lasts 17.5 seconds (just long enough to refresh it, more or less) and deals 302.4 pps.

Meanwhile, if we just replace a single F2 with a T4 in the long rotation, we get... 300.3 pps, which I guess means that a single F2 is worth it on 7 enemies and beyond..? I think you're right in principle.

I guess what they need to do, if they don't want to buff sub-68 BLM AoE, is make Improved Umbral Heart also buff the potency of any F2 spell you spend a heart to cast.