Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

When she has the Chanchala buff up (her model gets an aura of blue and black flames, and she gets what looks like a blue and black maple leaf icon on her buff bar) her next ability will be fatal to anyone who hasn't popped Vril. This means that everyone has to use Vril if she's buffed and casting a spell that starts with the word Divine (divine doubt, divine denial...) or "Strotram" which is her generic unavoidable raid damage AoE. Tanks have to use Vril if she's Chanchala'd and about to hit them with her tankbuster, "Pull of Light".

When she casts Divine Doubt, you want to pair up and scatter so that each person ends up getting melee'd by one other confused person rather than being beaten to death by a mob.

During her add phase, you want to get each snake low but NOT kill it, and then only kill snakes when they have a blue bubble around them. If you do this three times then everyone will have a charge of Vril so that they can survive Lakshmi's ult.

Whoever's second in enmity wants to be standing at a good angle away from the main tank AND the rest of the party because they're periodically targeted by a huge cone aoe.

It's worth noting that it isn't fatal but merely stronger. It's possible to survive quite a few of the mechanics. However at least as the fight is currently designed there's no reason to. Yeah you can save a Vril during the confusion phase and not suffer much for it but you gain nothing by doing it because there's two Vril refresh phases in between any 3 mechanics that need Vril.

Honestly I think it would be a lot more interesting as an EX fight if you had to decide which mechanics to ignore based on there being more Chinchilla phases than Vril and the buffed attacks have more negative/badstat impact than sheer damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

King Cohort posted:

Because the fourth rock in the enmity list always has the imprisoned player.

I'm pretty sure this is wrong, it's not the fourth rock, it's the last rock alphabetically. Meaning if you're wiping a lot it could potentially look like "X Y Z A" (or whatever) and in that case the third rock would be correct.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Obligatum VII posted:

Does anyone have any cliff notes for snake lady (Extreme)? I'm finally pursuing the Ex primals. Rather late to the game, but I just hadn't gotten around to it. Just a quick rundown of the abilities so I'm not utterly blind would do, I can figure out how to deal with them readily enough on my own if needed.

The big thing here is managing your raid item when she uses Divine abilities and Chanchalla. Chanchalla makes everything she does hit harder, but the item negates that.

Divine Desire is a draw in to a bleed pool, item reduces how far you move. Divine Doubt is a confuse that makes you target the nearest player, generally spread out and pair in twos to eliminate someone getting beat down by a lot of the party, item reduces duration. There's also the knockback one from Normal.

You'll want to use it for some of her non-center attacks as well. Stortam does a lot of raid damage when she's in Chanchalla.

DPS: you can generally play fast and loose with the item mechanic. You can pretty much use it after every Chanchalla. Position your markers accordingly so that nobody is being overlapped by two of the lines at the same time.

OT: The easiest role in this fight. Just stand off to the side nobody else is on for your blue marker cone telegraph. Use the Vril for the blue marker in Chanchalla. Stack when needed.

MT: Snooze through this as well, Pull of Light is your tankbuster. Mitigate and Vril as needed.

Healer: Take your circle aoe markers to the back, they spawn bleed puddles under you. During Chanchalla, these expand two or three times, covering half the arena.

During phase two, burn adds low but don't kill. The adds play keep away with your item recharge bubble. You want to kill them while they have the bubble to replenish your parties charges. Red markers are a targeted AoE, just move away from your party. Use it for the ultimate like in normal.

Uhh I can't remember much else. It's really easy.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 5, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Anybody think its weird one of the new bosses names was "Alte Roight" ?? Probably just a silly coincedence since it sounds like it comes from another language.

But I can't help but think, our army of catgirlrs and potatoes will triumph over the alt right :911:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

King Cohort posted:

Because the fourth rock in the enmity list always has the imprisoned player.

Usually true but not always. Also, clicking the right rock is faster than selecting from the target list anyway.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Countblanc posted:

I'm pretty sure this is wrong, it's not the fourth rock, it's the last rock alphabetically. Meaning if you're wiping a lot it could potentially look like "X Y Z A" (or whatever) and in that case the third rock would be correct.

A would be the correct rock here. The last rock "spawned" in the list is the magic super funtime cage. In this example, it generates them in order of X, Y, Z, then loops around to A. The A rock is the fourth rock generated, would be at the bottom of the list if not for running out of letters, and contains your hostage.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thundarr posted:

Whenever I get put in the shell game, I make it a point to spend two seconds typing in chat which one I'm in relative to the boss since it isn't like I can do anything else. "West" or "on his butt" or whatever. I have no idea why I have never, ever seen anybody else do this.

I just mark the rock myself because I have the mark bound still from when I was a nub tank in ARR, instead of just a nub in SB.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I hope that when we get to Garlemand, the WoL is treated more like Atilla the Hun than a liberating hero.

Also going to make a serious push to clear Susano-Ex tonight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

marking the rock isn't a bad idea if you're trapped. It isn't necessary but it helps draw attention to the right rock and since the time limit is (relatively) tight since they have to dodge a mechanic right after it happens it's helpful to give that extra second.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I only got through like a 1/3 of FF5, but I marked out for the first teir of Omega all the same.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SirPhoebos posted:

I hope that when we get to Garlemand, the WoL is treated more like Atilla the Hun than a liberating hero.

Also going to make a serious push to clear Susano-Ex tonight.

The feeling when we push the Garleans so close to the brink that they decide their only hope is to summon a primal to defend them.

It will be the emperor having his Ascian buddies turn him into Emperor Mateus from FF2.

Also self marking sounds less likely to confuse people than chat so I'll try that next time I'm feeling wild and pure and forever free.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
I've finally shaken my muscle memory trying to hit Bio 1 after Bio 2 and Miasma, and I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad about that...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundarr posted:

The feeling when we push the Garleans so close to the brink that they decide their only hope is to summon a primal to defend them.

It will be the emperor having his Ascian buddies turn him into Emperor from FF2.

Also self marking sounds less likely to confuse people than chat so I'll try that next time I'm feeling wild and pure and forever free.

I'm pretty confident we'll go there only after they gently caress up a primal situation so bad a bunch of primals go and lay waste to their home city and the WoL has to go there for peace talks/'peace talks' which would give an excuse for having a friendly-to-visit Not Vector Really while also being a FF6 reference.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Anybody think its weird one of the new bosses names was "Alte Roight" ?? Probably just a silly coincedence since it sounds like it comes from another language.

But I can't help but think, our army of catgirlrs and potatoes will triumph over the alt right :911:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's next to zero situations while content is current that taking avoidable damage is acceptable, especially now that weakness is really punishing.

Obligatum VII posted:

With luck, the dice don't event stop you from doing damage because it falls off between GCDs anyways. And at worst it delays you like a second... Who would intentionally ignore the dice?

my fairy would just be sitting around on her butt doing nothing, for the first dice anyway.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
see also: every pool/pbaoe ever eaten by a black mage in 3.x

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yeah, still a hell of a coincidence no? Just kinda weird how life is sometimes.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty confident we'll go there only after they gently caress up a primal situation so bad a bunch of primals go and lay waste to their home city and the WoL has to go there for peace talks/'peace talks' which would give an excuse for having a friendly-to-visit Not Vector Really while also being a FF6 reference.

I sincerely hope that when we visit Not-Vector it's already on fire and all of our quests there are adding fuel.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

It'll be interesting to see how/if they deal with that. We already created massive upheaval in a society by destroying hundreds of years of beliefs and tearing down the old guard in Ishgard, and honestly it felt like the ramifications of that weren't able to be adequately explored in a game like this since the plot had to keep moving. We weren't at the head of an invading army, but we did return to the city on dragonback after killing their ruler, which was pretty close. Doing a rinse and repeat with us arriving at the head of an actual army would seem hard to do justice.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

When orbs spawn, collect them to restore your vril again.

And always use one if you have it before picking the orb. This is how I learned to stop dying without looking at what she casts.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's next to zero situations while content is current that taking avoidable damage is acceptable, especially now that weakness is really punishing.

I don't really care about them eating the first debuff, because there are no other mechanics in that time period and earthly star can deal with it. And whatever, if they think that extra second of dps is the make or break for success of the fight while in a partial pug , well then they need all the help they can get.

It's the latter ones when there are also pools, or the split/lightning attack that they'd still eat in the name of their all mighty parse.

Fister Roboto posted:

If it's survivable, doesn't apply a stun or damage down or similar debuff, and doesn't cause the healers excess trouble to heal, then it's good and cool to eat mechanics. The bard in my static does it all the time.

That's my general approach, if the following is true:
I actually know they're going to do so, so I can deal with it
The dps will lose more than a gcd dealing with it (their gcd is more valuable than mine spent healing them)
They actually respond to situations where it's dangerous to eat it (It's easy but retarded to heal through one levinbolt. It's harder to deal with multiple in a row, plus the pools that spawn.)
It's not the tank.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It is kind of weird that they gave it the name of an enemy with such a wildly different appearance.

On those lines, who is the boss of Haukke HM now? :v:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I'm going to miss when they take my str gear away. Doing 2900 dps while main tanking in delta is super fun! And I enjoy it more because I play a dps class in WoW(yea I play two mmo's dont shame me :colbert:).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thundarr posted:

It is kind of weird that they gave it the name of an enemy with such a wildly different appearance.
That's just his first phase in FFV, after you beat the old man then surprise

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Sinteres posted:

Doing a rinse and repeat with us arriving at the head of an actual army would seem hard to do justice.

Isn't that exactly what we did this patch? Twice, in fact?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

homeless snail posted:

That's just his first phase in FFV, after you beat the old man then surprise

I knew I was forgetting something. It's been a long drat time since I played FF5.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The problem with assuming that a healer cooldown is less valuable than your own cooldown is that it ignores the resources that might have to be spent elsewhere. Eating a mechanic to keep your DPS going is fine but if someone else legitimately screws up or has the same idea it can get really taxing really quickly. If you're working with a static group who knows what to expect it's fine. If you're not then always prioritize safety. Please don't expect healers to cover you because even if you're an excellent DPS who never screws up they need to worry about other people too and having to blow a Lustrate on you or whatever is frustrating when it's entirely avoidable.

This is super true in Susie EX where people keep trying to get fancy and screw poo poo up. If you're a Red Mage please just move, stop trying to do the fun trick where you flip over the line at the last second because 9 times out of 10 you do it too late and hit everyone with lightning anyway. Just break off your DPS and move. I know it looks super sweet when you do it right but ti looks extra not sweet when you try to squeeze out that last bit of DPS and screw everyone instead.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Thundarr posted:

On those lines, who is the boss of Haukke HM now? :v:

They haven't namechanged her yet, so we currently have two bosses using the name.

ImpAtom posted:

This is super true in Susie EX where people keep trying to get fancy and screw poo poo up. If you're a Red Mage please just move, stop trying to do the fun trick where you flip over the line at the last second because 9 times out of 10 you do it too late and hit everyone with lightning anyway. Just break off your DPS and move. I know it looks super sweet when you do it right but ti looks extra not sweet when you try to squeeze out that last bit of DPS and screw everyone instead.

Alternatively, keep doing this until you can do it without fail and continue to style on nerds forever because that's what being a Red Mage is all about.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

So I know the Magitek Knight discussion is a few days old but I had a long day of conference talks that wasn't particularly interesting and a lot of free wine. So I decided to write down what I thought a Magitek Knight could be like in FF14 if it ever became a job. No real numbers in this mock-up.
Warning: long effort post ahead

Magitek Knight
I kinda wanted to make Magitek Knight into a technology-based version of Mystic Knight from FF5. It would be a dex class, sharing gear with NIN and focusing on debuffing enemies. It will be a mostly melee class, with a ranged burst phase, like a reverse RDM. In the melee stance, which would be default, weapon skills would be melee. The opposite applies once you switch to ranged stance. There would be two forms of class mana:

A) An elemental charge system. This is similar to MCH ammo, but you will always have five of them. Using a weaponskill will use up a charge but will also give you a charge, keeping numbers stable. Charges come in the three flavours of Fire/Blizzard/Thunder.
B) A ceruleum gauge. This builds up as you use melee weaponskills, and ranged weaponskills use it up.

Melee weaponskills
Fire/Blizzard/Thunder I Blade: fire/ice/lightning melee damage. When it uses up a charge of a non-matching element, gives the following effect:
  • Fire: self-damage buff
  • Blizzard: +magic damage debuff
  • Thunder: DoT
These skills will also give a charge of the corresponding element and some ceruleum.

The point of these skills is that there is no set rotation. You use a skill that doesn't match your next charge, and your charge stash changes over time, changing which skill you need to use next.

Fire/Blizzard/Thunder II Blade: your melee AoE equivalents. When a non-matching charged is used, debuffs the enemies with:
  • Fire: blind
  • Blizzard: heavy
  • Thunder: paralysis
Other effects same as F/B/T I blade skills

Melee oGCDs
Bio Blade: DoT, uses ceruleum
Break Blade: stuns even through stun resistance, high TP/MP cost
Innocence: next 3 weaponskills hit for higher damage
Resonant shot: gives large amount of ceruleum, long cd (This is based on the idea behind gunblades that the gun vibrates the sword as it is fired, doing large damage from the vibration along with the shot. This is basically the Perfect Balance of the Magitek Knight, to recover from deaths.)
Blast Back: leaps back, gives some ceruleum and switches to ranged stance

Ranged weaponskills
Fire/Blizzard/Thunder III Bullet: Replaces F/B/T I Blade. Same effects but ranged instead, costs ceruleum and has increased damage in comparison to the skills it replaces.
Fire/Blizzard/Thunder IV Bullet: Replaces F/B/T II Blade. ^

Ranged oGCDs
Flare Bullet: replaces Bio Blade, restores some ceruleum and has an AoE
Grappling Hook: pulls you to your target, does damage based on how much ceruleum you have left and burns it down to 0, and swaps you to melee stance.
Sleep Bullet: ranged version of Break Blade, sleeps enemy

Non-stance dependant skills
Bit Beam: oGCD line AoE
Pistol Shot: Ranged pulling skill
Shield Bit: defensive AoE, reflects some damage
Reconfigure: randomises your charges, your next charge is guaranteed to be different to what it used to be.
LB3: the delayed X beam that Regula/Fordola uses, except spammed.

The general idea is that you start in melee, using whatever weaponskills doesn't match your charge whilst planning which charges you will need in the future. Once you've built up enough ceruleum you jump out and blast away in ranged mode until you run out and have to jump back in. The oGCDs that give/use up ceruleum are there if you want to extend the phase that you are in.

Long effort post, if you read it feel free to comment.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 5, 2017

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
I'm interested in picking up Bard after spending all of ARR, HW, and now SB on tanks (DRK and PLD both at 70 feels nice). What's a good basic rundown I can read for when I start reaching the parts where it matters?

e: ^^^ why isn't it a tank?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Emalde posted:

They haven't namechanged her yet, so we currently have two bosses using the name.

Alternatively, keep doing this until you can do it without fail and continue to style on nerds forever because that's what being a Red Mage is all about.

The best is when they misjudge their position and backflip onto the center line and zap both sides. But in fairness I've seen no small number of samurai doing the exact same thing.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Even when an expansion just came out we're never truly free of job design fanfic here at SomethingAwful dot com.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, still a hell of a coincidence no? Just kinda weird how life is sometimes.

Yes, it is a coincidence that two different terms are spelled slightly similar. Thank you for sharing this valuable insight.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Emalde posted:

That's especially bizarre, because the patch notes specifically said they had changed the name of some monsters. I wonder if it just didn't take, or if there was something else that got a name change for some reason.

ImpAtom posted:

The problem with assuming that a healer cooldown is less valuable than your own cooldown is that it ignores the resources that might have to be spent elsewhere.

It doesn't make much sense to me because if I eat a huge hit to squeeze off more damage, the healer's gotta stop their DPS in order to bring my health back up. Them having to spend attention on me also stresses them more, because they probably have their own stuff they have to keep track of in the meantime.

Healing is a hard job and I'd be horribly stressed out doing it myself, so my goal is to contribute as little to the healer's frustration as I possibly can. Then again, I'm also the full-vit-accessory tank kinda guy who loves being a huge, beefy slab of iron instead of having "technically enough to survive" HP for more damage's sake. So my opinion is probably poo :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

nuru posted:

Even when an expansion just came out we're never truly free of job design fanfic here at SomethingAwful dot com.

It was a long day at the conference my friendo.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

nuru posted:

Let me tell you about my melee healer dancer that uses TP and branches off pugilist.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
unlocked omega last night, where does it fall difficulty wise compared to coil and alex? (ie can i do it with pubs or should i look for a static)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Let me tell you about my melee healer dancer that uses TP and branches off pugilist.

Okay

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kuvo posted:

unlocked omega last night, where does it fall difficulty wise compared to coil and alex? (ie can i do it with pubs or should i look for a static)

Easier than a9-12 normal. 4 pugs, 2 wipes total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Kuvo posted:

You can easily do it with pubs if you just want the clear, but if you're having trouble getting the loot you want for god's sake just grab some friends/goons/friendgoons.