Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/KDTrey5/status/882663756978831360

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

He's gonna hero-ball NY or LA out of 2-3 spots in the lottery.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

If Dion signs with the Knicks it will at the very least be super entertaining watching him hoist 15 jumpers a game

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

So is someone replacing Otto Porter or is Kelly Oubre going to start?

Cuz I like that kid and his fight starting antics.

Porter isn't going anywhere

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Dion Waiters still sucks even though he's very likeable

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

pubic works project posted:

Swaggy is going to GS? Sweet! Now Minnesota can do that sign and trade for CJ Miles!

These weren't mutually exclusive, I'm pretty sure they wanted to do both

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Boosh! posted:

He's gonna hero-ball NY or LA out of 2-3 spots in the lottery.

LA doesn't have their pick this year, so it would just be screwing over the Celitcs

Also, if you still don't get why Nick Young is an insane pickup for the Warriors
https://twitter.com/bzcohen/status/882661045378134020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/882667335139577856

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

Cool Buff Man posted:

CB Man it strikes me that the inverse is true, he's actually better than you might think (or at least was in 46 games last season) in spite of his unlikable personality (although his Players Tribune article won me over).

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

CB Man it strikes me that the inverse is true, he's actually better than you might think (or at least was in 46 games last season) in spite of his unlikable personality (although his Players Tribune article won me over).

I'm open to arguments but his stats still call him garbage no matter what way you look at it, unless you only care about 3 pt %

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

The Glumslinger posted:

LA doesn't have their pick this year, so it would just be screwing over the Celitcs

Also, if you still don't get why Nick Young is an insane pickup for the Warriors
https://twitter.com/bzcohen/status/882661045378134020

he shot 34% in the previous two seasons

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Dion is cool and came from harder times than you'll ever read about so shut up. Bitch.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Dion and Swaggy are both much more fun in theory than they are in reality

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Heel Durant is so good. Fuckyou Kevin

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Mr. Mambold posted:

Dion is cool and came from harder times than you'll ever read about so shut up. Bitch.

Stop making little snippy posts at me old man, it's tiring

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

The headlines are dramatic, and I don't think he's history worst monster or something. I'm just saying he legitimately didn't handle it very well and made it more painful than it needed to be. People would have been dumb and mad either way but in this case there's at least a little justification.

It's also not like Utah is the first fanbase to get mad at a free agent for leaving, I think pretty much every fanbase in the league would react similarly if their team was in the same situation.

In my final calculations he left for a worse team. Albeit a team in a much weaker conference which means more chances at the finals or at least conference finals, which means more chances for endorsement money. There's also a mountain of money in Boston for him to befriend so that he can make even more money. It's probably a real life wash, but to me it looks like him leaving a better team for a worse one in an easier conference.

Boston is the George Karl Nuggets and the meh Tobias Harris if he's lucky rookie and their undersized energy pf from last year don't add up. I would understand if it was about the basketball styles, but Quin Snyder seems to want to play a passing heavy everybody involved system, different in some major ways from Brad Stevens's, but not in bedrock philosophy.

Rubio, Hood, Burks, Johnson, Ingles, Diaw, Favors, Gobert,
Because of defense, shooting, and playmaking up and down the lineup, have a higher ceiling than
Thomas, Bradley, Smart, Crowder,, Hayward, Brown, Horford, Tyler Zeller
Which is what we had last year, except that they'll have a true small forward to score and handle the ball when IT is out because he's being killed on defense. IT is sort of like Andre Drummond in that, during a crunch time playoff situation, you have to take him out of the game if you're in the lead. That's brutal

Of course my comparison rests on Utah staying healthy. If Dante Exum could do anything at all, that would be nice. It seems pretty clear he's never going to a pg, maybe he can keep shooting threes and become a strong defender.

dokmo posted:

I would give him a pass because those were insanely dysfunctional Byron Scot 48 mpg Kobe teams. What he did last year was like what he did in Philadelphia. I think that's Swazhay Puh in a decent enviornment, I could be wrong, but I believe it to be true

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 5, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

dokmo posted:

I'd say his production under Luke's system is a better predictor than under Byron's system

Under Byron he was encourage to create his own shot (when he was on the court), under Luke he was encouraged to spot up. 2 years ago, 60% of his 3s were assisted, last year it was 90% which is close to his average with the Wizards

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 5, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I believe in Nick Young and he will flourish in Golden State and get a ring. The world is weird

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cool Buff Man posted:

No. I mean Yes. Eh go mow the lawn.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Mr. Mambold posted:

No. I mean Yes. Eh go mow the lawn.

I have to mow the frickin lawn today and I'm none too pleased cuz of humidity. Sorry for calling you old as a pejorative.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

dokmo posted:

He's taking the place of Ian Clark, who was even worse of a shooter before joining GS

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
So everyone was talking about how the bench would take a hit but GS's drat bench looks way better and I'm pissed

Nick Young is gonna be really good on that drat team

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Thomas doesn't really strike me as a guy that'd get much better playing next to another high-usage player

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Dion is a star and I invite anyone who dare says otherwise to my Temecula home

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

morestuff posted:

Thomas doesn't really strike me as a guy that'd get much better playing next to another high-usage player

I'm glad your post changed from ball-dominant to high-usage but from what I've gleaned from MourningViews posts and the games I've watched, Hayward is a drat good playmaker and fits into Boston's offense way easier than Butler or George would

Metapod posted:

Dion is a star and I invite anyone who dare says otherwise to my Temecula home

He is a star, I will give him that

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
At some point you have to figure it out what's best and sacrifice. And that's on the coach/the best players on the team to do so.

That's the price of doing the whole super team thing to try and win a conference or win a title.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

quote:

The two-time FIBA Basketball World Cup winner has called on players worldwide to support FIBA’s new competition calendar, describing it as ‘win-win for players, fans, national federations, leagues and clubs.’ “Representing your country is the ultimate honor and I know that many of you feel the same way. The new calendar means that, for the first time, they (players) will have one free summer in every four-year cycle, reducing the pressure and providing the time needed to rest and recover from an already arduous schedule. It is really important that the new global calendar will also create opportunities and help develop new talent by enabling younger players from more countries to play international basketball.”
http://www.eurohoops.net/en/fiba/475643/baumann-confirms-collision-course-fiba-euroleague/
FIBA seems mad at euroleague

quote:

Ben Standig: Otto Porter update: The Sacramento Kings contingent, including Vlade Divac, just left meeting at David Falk’s office. #Wizards
It's happening, Otto Porter is going to be a king (is not going to be a King)

Cool Buff Man posted:

Man you're the king of snippy posts. Be easy

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

Man you're the king of snippy posts. Be easy

That's rich coming from you, you've side swiped me about 30 times in the last month even though I don't acknowledge it

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

In my final calculations he left for a worse team. Albeit a team in a much weaker conference which means more chances at the finals or at least conference finals, which means more chances for endorsement money. There's also a mountain of money in Boston for him to befriend so that he can make even more money. It's probably a real life wash, but to me it looks like him leaving a better team for a worse one in an easier conference.

Boston is the George Karl Nuggets and the meh Tobias Harris if he's lucky rookie and their undersized energy pf from last year don't add up. I would understand if it was about the basketball styles, but Quin Snyder seems to want to play a passing heavy everybody involved system, different in some major ways from Brad Stevens's, but not in bedrock philosophy.

Rubio, Hood, Burks, Johnson, Ingles, Diaw, Favors, Gobert,
Because of defense, shooting, and playmaking up and down the lineup, have a higher ceiling than
Thomas, Bradley, Smart, Crowder,, Hayward, Brown, Horford, Tyler Zeller
Which is what we had last year, except that they'll have a true small forward to score and handle the ball when IT is out because he's being killed on defense. IT is sort of like Andre Drummond in that, during a crunch time playoff situation, you have to take him out of the game if you're in the lead. That's brutal

Of course my comparison rests on Utah staying healthy. If Dante Exum could do anything at all, that would be nice. It seems pretty clear he's never going to a pg, maybe he can keep shooting threes and become a strong defender.

I would give him a pass because those were insanely dysfunctional Byron Scot 48 mpg Kobe teams. What he did last year was like what he did in Philadelphia. I think that's Swazhay Puh in a decent enviornment, I could be wrong, but I believe it to be true

I agree but you also have to actually make the finals to win it and he's a lot more likely to do that in Boston. In theory they also have assets to get another star player, assuming Danny doesn't just hug them tight and draft some dude who can't shoot but has good brain scan numbers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
King's trying to trade for him?

who in the gently caress outside of Skal, Fox, and Heild do the Kings even have that anyone would want.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

WCS is ok

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

I'd say his production under Luke's system is a better predictor than under Byron's system

Two seasons of 34% shooting versus a recent season of 40% shooting. Sounds like a good opportunity for a bet!

My proposal: if Nick Young shoots below 38% during the 17-18 regular season, I win the bet; if he shoots 38% or better I lose the bet; if he doesn't attempt more than 100 threes the bet is off (regular season only for all this). The bet winnings goes to charity, the winner of the bet gets to name the charity.

Who wants to take me up on a 100% chance to help a charity and a smaller chance to make me look foolish?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'm glad your post changed from ball-dominant to high-usage but from what I've gleaned from MourningViews posts and the games I've watched, Hayward is a drat good playmaker and fits into Boston's offense way easier than Butler or George would

He is a star, I will give him that

He's a great passer and playmaker in the pick and roll but he also needs to have the ball to do it which doesn't necessarily mesh well with IT. Part of the reason Hill was so perfect for Utah is that he was really good off the ball and it let Hayward run the offense a lot.

I also disagree with you on George, he's really good off the ball and would have been great for them. Butler less so.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

honestly George is probably at his best off the Ball. Him and Westbrook are a pretty great fit.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

MourningView posted:

He's a great passer and playmaker in the pick and roll but he also needs to have the ball to do it which doesn't necessarily mesh well with IT. Part of the reason Hill was so perfect for Utah is that he was really good off the ball and it let Hayward run the offense a lot.

I also disagree with you on George, he's really good off the ball and would have been great for them. Butler less so.

Celtics are gonna miss the playoffs now due to this and I'm coming back for you

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cool Buff Man posted:

I have to mow the frickin lawn today and I'm none too pleased cuz of humidity. Sorry for calling you old as a pejorative.

It's humid as heck, I'll give you that. I may just get off my rear end and mow likewise, and maybe dynamat some car doors.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

dokmo posted:

Two seasons of 34% shooting versus a recent season of 40% shooting. Sounds like a good opportunity for a bet!

My proposal: if Nick Young shoots below 38% during the 17-18 regular season, I win the bet; if he shoots 38% or better I lose the bet; if he doesn't attempt more than 100 threes the bet is off (regular season only for all this). The bet winnings goes to charity, the winner of the bet gets to name the charity.

Who wants to take me up on a 100% chance to help a charity and a smaller chance to make me look foolish?

You had a point about Otto Porter because his sample size is small relative to years, but Nick Young is a career above-average 3-point shooter. It's not like he's suddenly learned to shoot, he's shot 38-40% in previous seasons.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Then take him up on the bet.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

In terms of fit, I'd probably rank the 3 dudes George-Butler-Hayward. However, Hayward was the easiest for them to get so here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Tae posted:

You had a point about Otto Porter because his sample size is small relative to years, but Nick Young is a career above-average 3-point shooter. It's not like he's suddenly learned to shoot, he's shot 38-40% in previous seasons.

I do not see any dollar signs in this post.

• Locked thread