Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cage posted:

I just beat it today. Even the end credits are really great.

Well, now I have to finish that final boss.

Cage posted:

I like the concept of having a candy dish on my desk, but god drat if the morning people don't clean it out within a few hours of bringing stuff out. I've learned I'm passive aggressive nice.

Your solution there is sugar free Haribo Gummi Bears.

SO, in an effort to eliminate the squeaking in the belt drive in my Crown Vic, I bought both the idler and the tensioner pulley. Changed out the idler pulley first, since it's easier, to no avail. went to swap the tensioner pulley and realized that I'd managed to bu the "smooth" version of the idler rather than the tensioner pulley (tensioner pulley is 70mm, what I bought is 90mm.) Exchanged that with Amazon last week, eating $8 in shipping, for the correct one, Gates 38006. Well, Gates did NOT pay attention to ford's design.
The Ford (and everyone but Gates') pulley looks like this:

Gates' looks like this:

Note the larger tapered depression in the Ford style part. that's important to clear the casting of the actual tensioner arm. You can't mount it the other way, because the bearing is offset, and the pulley will rub against the timing cover, making an awful racket (ask me how I know - this is, incidentally, why I now can't send this piece of poo poo back to Amazon, as it's scraped up but good.)

I guess I will try to press the bearings out and swap them, then get a Dayco that's the correct design when that fails. I thought I could trust Gates. Fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Previa_fun posted:

Holy poo poo folks are buying houses six times their annual income?

An actual own-the-property-and-everything-on-it house where I live costs over 600,000. I will likely need to move to the prairies if I ever want to buy something with a garage :smithicide:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Chiming in to say that Baby Driver did indeed kick rear end. The only part I didn't like was the writing for Jamie Foxx's character. Felt overdone to me, and a bit shallow.

Otherwise awesome movie, great soundtrack, great driving.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Darchangel posted:

Well, now I have to finish that final boss.
:yeah: The Spider mastermind? He whooped me a few times but then suddenly it was a breeze, make use of those pillars and bean him in the brain.

Credit spoiler: Seeing them recreate the original Doom boxart in 3D was drat cool. I want it as my desktop background.

Darchangel posted:

Your solution there is sugar free Haribo Gummi Bears.
Thats just evil. I like it.

Cage fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 5, 2017

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Previa_fun posted:

Holy poo poo folks are buying houses six times their annual income?

It's cool making 175% of the median household income and having any decent decent homes cost 4-5x that amount. Since my wife and I don't want to be financially obliterated by a minor emergency we're just going to keep watching the Sheriff's auctions for a seized meth lab and/or murderhouse.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I am looking at places that are about 2x my income because I feel over exposed if it is too much more than that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cage posted:

:yeah: The Spider mastermind? He whooped me a few times but then suddenly it was a breeze, make use of those pillars and bean him in the brain.

Yes, that critter. Keeps kicking my rear end.

quote:

Credit spoiler: Seeing them recreate the original Doom boxart in 3D was drat cool. I want it as my desktop background.

The Xbox version of the game came with reversible case art. You can use the new artwork, or flip it round for old-school art.

quote:

Thats just evil. I like it.

I can't claim it. I saw that as a suggestion when the... unique properties of the sugar-free Bears was discussed.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I never really thought about the ratio but I bought a house 4.bit x my annual income but I put down about 1 x in equity. That's not terrible I think?

And I want to do the sugar free gummy bears thing but I'd have to tell the people I do like not to eat them and why and then it'd spread and I'd probably get told off.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

BigPaddy posted:

I am looking at places that are about 2x my income because I feel over exposed if it is too much more than that.

I hear you. I would either get 600sqft or live 30 minutes out of town in the back of someone's farm.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Whelp, it's official. The wife and I have done something really stupid.

Now to go enlist a friend to take some proper pictures for the Post Your Ride thread.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

McTinkerson posted:

Now to go enlist a friend to take some proper pictures for the Post Your Ride thread.
Looks like a properly AI stupid thing, well done.

House chat: when I called a mortgage company to see if they could compete with my credit union the guy was surprised how low of a price range we were shopping. He didn't take long to try recommending we shop in the 3x or more salary range at which point I nicely hung up on him. At our max limit we would be able to afford it if one of us lost our jobs, with both of us working and having good jobs it'll leave plenty left over for vacations and race cars.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
We did something similar, but since my wife is a Marine it was easier to get a loan for that since we didn't have much liquid money on hand at the time. We've socked away quite a bit of cash since then. We also did that because we're about to stop being a dual income household for the next ~6 months.

Being able to have savings, take vacations, eat out when we don't feel like cooking is rad.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

McTinkerson posted:

You god damned tease.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Not a Lancia Integrale, turn in your colors.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Not a Lancia Integrale, turn in your colors.
"These colours don't run"?

*Awaits Cat Terrist Integrale rant*

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

$1600? Did you buy an E60 M5 or something? Jesus Christ mate.

No, an rear end-old Peugeot. That I was planning to sell.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Welcome 2 Denmark

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

NitroSpazzz posted:

House chat: when I called a mortgage company to see if they could compete with my credit union the guy was surprised how low of a price range we were shopping. He didn't take long to try recommending we shop in the 3x or more salary range at which point I nicely hung up on him.

When I called the Credit Union about a mortgage they were the same way:

:v: "What are you looking at?"

:11tea: "Houses in the 175 to 210 range"

:v: "With your credit you could go a lot higher, why not look at houses in the 300s?"

:11tea: "...because I want to be able to afford it even if things don't go 100% right forever and ever?"

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

And I want to do the sugar free gummy bears thing but I'd have to tell the people I do like not to eat them and why and then it'd spread and I'd probably get told off.

They're fine if you don't eat them by the handful.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Darchangel posted:

They're fine if you don't eat them by the handful.

Then what's the point?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It's all about the cleanse.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

cakesmith handyman posted:

The last time I bought cookies etc into work I locked the excess up in my desk at the end of my shift. In the morning my desk had been broken open and my good torch, work camera, laser and all my decent pens had also been stolen.

Pro tip it's easier to lever the top up on the average desk drawer unit than to break the lock.

What happened to the cookies?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Kazinsal posted:

It surely is! Ask me how I know.
I just ate 3 plates of mediocre indian buffet.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

The LA Beast (an idiot on youtube) ate an entire 5lb bag of them on camera, with predictable results. And so do many of my coworkers on a daily basis, if the state of the bathroom at work is any indication.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

monsterzero posted:

Then what's the point?

The moochers *will* eat them by the handful. And he won't warn them not to.

redgubbinz posted:

The LA Beast (an idiot on youtube) ate an entire 5lb bag of them on camera, with predictable results. And so do many of my coworkers on a daily basis, if the state of the bathroom at work is any indication.

Is that the guy who got a technicolor yawn, quite literally, afterward (before the but cannon fired)?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Why the gently caress would you eat anything that you know is going to erupt from your rear end in a forceful spray later?????

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Why the gently caress would you eat anything that you know is going to erupt from your rear end in a forceful spray later?????

I'd ask you if you'd ever had Chipotle, but we all know your wrong opinions on guac.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

No kinkshaming itt tia

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Hello, welcome to The Internet.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And that's not even the video where he drank like a gallon of vegetable oil.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
More fool him

For your daily dose of rear end in a top hat cats....

http://imgur.com/gallery/RG41L#4jWu8fn

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

We all got together and did the political version of this, so... :jerry:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
In most of Los Angeles, $450k currently buys you an iffy 3 bed/2.5 bath with a non-permit addition on it to make it "4 bedrooms" and it'd be 20 minutes from a freeway entrance, or a 1 bedroom 1 bath condo near the freeways/cultural centers. I'm pretty glad I bought in 2003.

That house Rhyno linked would be about $2m in the desirable zip codes here, and $1.5m-ish in lesser desired locations. The difference is the desirable zip codes will see 5% value loss in the inevitable Trumpcrash (assuming it follows the pattern of the Bushcrash) and the other places will lose 50+% because rich people still gotta go to work in the studios and it's good to be near them.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Ether Frenzy posted:

...Trumpcrash...

I'm waiting for it. By my scientific calculations, gleaned by listening to commercials on the radio, 72% of which are for easy mortgage refi, credit consolidation and we'll-finance-anyone auto lots, it has to be close.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So, developing story in the local auto scene. Dude just got his car repossessed by the bank. He claims to have arrived home to find the notice in his mailbox informing him he was six months behind on his payments and had legally forfeited the car.

Which was all news to him as he owned the car outright and didn't have an outstanding loan on it. He doesn't even do business with the bank that's on the paperwork so he is a bit puzzled as to why they would repo his POS daily driver.

Edit: Ahhhh it was a 2006 V6 Charger, former police car. He believes they were after his neighbor with the 2016 Charger.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 6, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

So, developing story in the local auto scene. Dude just got his car repossessed by the bank. He claims to have arrived home to find the notice in his mailbox informing him he was six months behind on his payments and had legally forfeited the car.

Which was all news to him as he owned the car outright and didn't have an outstanding loan on it. He doesn't even do business with the bank that's on the paperwork so he is a bit puzzled as to why they would repo his POS daily driver.

Some dude on GRM got a hell of a deal on a last generation 9-5 from a dealership, then found out the dealership never paid the auction they got it from. Auction repos the car right out from in front of his house, shitstorm ensues.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Some dude on GRM got a hell of a deal on a last generation 9-5 from a dealership, then found out the dealership never paid the auction they got it from. Auction repos the car right out from in front of his house, shitstorm ensues.

I did some googling and it looks like it's incredibly common.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

This afternoon I found a curly-haired terrier in my yard, he's a friendly pooch and freshly groomed. There's no collar. We gave him a bowl of water and the wife put a picture on the local Facebook pet group saying that we'd found him. We got messaged immediately and the family comes by. They asked how much they owe for finding him, we say "Nothing, nothing. We knew somebody was missing him." They insist, press some bills into my wife's hand and leave. We look at the money when we get in the house and it's three hundred freaking dollars. Guess it pays to do the right thing!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sounds like a steak dinner!

Edit:

GUYS THIS HOUSE HAS A REAR GARAGE DOOR FOR BACKYARD ACCESS

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3717-Hazelhurst-Dr-Fort-Wayne-IN-46804/73102143_zpid/

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My garage has that and yes, it's handier than gently caress.

• Locked thread