Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
So basically what you're saying is that we're all playing as a walking, talking fist-punching spirit bomb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SonicRulez posted:

So what's the general attitude towards the extra button press mechanics like in Lakshmi or in O2? I think they're kind of an interesting way to add another layer of complexity to fights without being too obtrusive.

Even if I still don't quite get how O2 works. Granted I only did it the one time.

They're ok, but the problem I have is they're binary pass/fail mechanics right now, and you have enough resources to pass everything. I think I'd like them more if we had more choices involved. That said I found O2 fun because of the gimmick, but lakshmi tedious. O2 also has the option of failing if you use the item, because it will lift you into a higher aoe.

Simple things like - use vril to not take damage, but receive a bad debuff, or vice versa. Or people under the effect of vril have an A4-like quarantine to deal with. More people using it would make it easier, but too many people doing it would make the main mechanics harder.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Harrow posted:

On the same token, I don't know if we should expect to see someone else creating a primal version of the Warrior of Light. So far, all the primals we've encountered that are based on real people (Moggle Mog, Shiva, Thordan) are based on people long dead, and summoned by people with distorted ideas of who those historical figures were. As long as the Warrior of Light is alive and kicking around, people don't have to place their faith in an idea (twisted, idealized, or otherwise) of the Warrior of Light--they can place their faith in the Warrior of Light themselves.

How quickly we forget Enkidu

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Enkidu reminds me that we're almost certainly getting a Gilgamesh fight in Omega somewhere. We have to, right?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm torn between wanting them to explore a different game in each tier (meaning we'd abandon FFV) and wanting to see a real greg fight after the last one was so disappointing

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm torn between wanting them to explore a different game in each tier (meaning we'd abandon FFV) and wanting to see a real greg fight after the last one was so disappointing

With diving now in the game, I'm looking forward to the FFX tier or expansion.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm down for a real gregex.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cythereal posted:

With diving now in the game, I'm looking forward to the FFX tier or expansion.

same

I hope one of the 5.x raids (don't really care if it's the 8-man or 24-man) is Inside Sin

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

It's completely possible we'll see different game tiers considering who the boss of O4N was. But if we stay in FFV-dom there had better be a greg fight.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Philonius posted:

But you're casting Tenka Goken anyway. Increasing its potency with Kaiten doesn't take any extra time, Kaiten is just as instant as Kyuten.

Fuga - Oka - Fuga - Mangetsu - ((kaiten)) - Tenka GOken can be done in the same time as
Fuga - Oka - Fuga - Mangetsu - ((Kyuten)) - Tenga Goken

Again, 2 Kyuten's is better than a Kaiten'd Tenka Goken. The AoE combo builds 30 kenki per Tenka Goken, at two combos you have 60 kenki. You can either spend that on 2 Kyutens or 3 Kaitens except you'd be wasting that 3rd Kaiten (because you'd only have 2 Tenka Goken's to boost.)
3 combos brings you to 90 Kenki, or 3 Kyuten's and 4 Kaitens (with only 3 Kaiten's possible.)

See the problem? Kaiten is Sen locked, Kyuten isn't. With Sam AoE guzzling TP you want stuff to die real fast and with Hagakure you're generating a whole lot of extra Kenki for Kyuten spam to burst everything down before your TP runs out. You simply can't spend your Kenki fast enough with Kaiten.

Also adding in crit's and direct hits, more damage instances out means more crits/direct hits.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

nuru posted:

It's completely possible we'll see different game tiers considering who the boss of O4N was. But if we stay in FFV-dom there had better be a greg fight.

Greg should show up out of nowhere in the middle of some other game's tier.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cheetah7071 posted:

same

I hope one of the 5.x raids (don't really care if it's the 8-man or 24-man) is Inside Sin

Hell, Sin and/or Vegnagun could easily be the main threat of an expansion. I wouldn't be surprised by the latter especially as the Garleans going "Oops."

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Omega's fascination with heroes will grow, and the third tier will be spent fighting heroes from other games.

Halfway through Butz (Savage), Greg descends from the Void and you have to fight both of them while they fight each other.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's too bad they've already done "this fight borrows attacks from primals you've already faced" gimmick twice because a Yu Yevon fight would be baller as gently caress

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Maybe I'm a crazy person with bad opinions, but I would like FF14 to stand on its own and do something original rather than have every boss fight be a straight up copy from another game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
[13:14]Searching for ventures in player and retainer inventories...
[13:14]Total: 4805 items found.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fister Roboto posted:

Maybe I'm a crazy person with bad opinions, but I would like FF14 to stand on its own and do something original rather than have every boss fight be a straight up copy from another game.

This is a valid opinion

It's just that given they're going to do nostalgia content, I want it to be for games I'm nostalgic for :v:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Ularg posted:

I'm in! :toot:

that's not a catgirl.

what the gently caress?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Maybe I'm a crazy person with bad opinions, but I would like FF14 to stand on its own rather than have every boss fight be a straight up copy from another game.

The huge bulk of FFXIV's (memorable) bosses are references to other games. I mean every primal except Ravana is from a FF game and a huge portion of the bosses are too. It's one of the fun things in the game is that it's full to the brim of references.

I mean FF in general is about remixing ideas over and over again.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I like references like the boss of Kugane Castle. You know him well, along with the names of his moves, but his actual fight is pretty original.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Totally fair point, but it's also fun to sit here and be huge nerds about what fights we'd like to see happen. SE listening to my ideas would be an unmitigated disaster as I do not know what is fun to anybody other than me.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The huge bulk of FFXIV's (memorable) bosses are references to other games. I mean every primal except Ravana is from a FF game and a huge portion of the bosses are too. It's one of the fun things in the game is that it's full to the brim of references.

There's a Ravana in Vagrant Story. Is that close enough?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fister Roboto posted:

Generally it does. Crystal Tower for example is a wonderful example of an homage that seamlessly works the homage into the existing lore such that it makes no difference if you played the game it references or not.

The whole premise of Omega is tailor made to get a little self indulgent since Omega does not distinguish between fact and fiction so they might as well run with it while they have a decent excuse.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
One of my favorite things about FFXIV is taking the old stuff and then washing it with their own lore and integrating nostalgia with moving forward. I do not want that to stop. More remixes of old stuff is good with me.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Oxyclean posted:

The way to implement it these days is as a zone, rather then a dungeon, and make dungeons certain parts of the city - Suramar City in the latest WoW xpac is kinda like that - the city isn't entirely hostile and you get a disguise that lets you get around, just so long as you don't stay in range of detector enemies too long.

Sounds cool, how did it work out in practice?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

SonicRulez posted:

One of my favorite things about FFXIV is taking the old stuff and then washing it with their own lore and integrating nostalgia with moving forward. I do not want that to stop. More remixes of old stuff is good with me.

:same:

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Intoluene posted:

I actually kinda hope for Safer Sephiroth as an Omega fight even if I'm not a huge fan of FF7.

Late on replying to this, but I'd rather have Bizarro Sephiroth, since that form looks amazing for FF7, and I'd like to see what it looks like in FFXIV.
Also I really like Birth of God way more than One Winged Angel.

Though both forms would be even better.

FF7 isn't really one of my favorite FF games anymore, but that fight is overall just real memorable.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I think there's a difference between the references in the past and Omega, which is just straight copies from FF5. Like it's not even part of the world of FF14, Omega literally comes from another dimension. Compare that to the Crystal Tower series, which made the FF3 story a part of the history of Eorzea. It's just "hey here are some bosses from FF5".

It's like hearing a cover of your favorite song, except the band just plays it exactly the same note for note with nothing of their own style.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SirPhoebos posted:

Sounds cool, how did it work out in practice?

Can depend heavily on your class's escape options. Some people like it, some don't, as sometimes you can get very unfortunate with no escape abilities or paths around.

Personally, I think all it added was a hassle, the game engine wasn't made for stealth games. But having done Suramar once to completion, I got a flying mount that automatically disguises you in the city.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I think there's a huge difference between the references in the past and Omega, which is just straight copies from FF5. Like it's not even part of the world of FF14, Omega literally comes from another dimension. Compare that to the Crystal Tower series, which made the FF3 story a part of the history of Eorzea.

It's like hearing a cover of your favorite song, except the band just plays it exactly the same note for note with nothing of their own style.

I don't think it's particularly fair to say that. The Omega in FFXIV isn't the (entirely characterless optional superboss) from FFV and while the bosses are straight references they have a fair bit of their own style to them. I don't see it as anything meaningfully different so far from the Guard Scorpion or Matoya or Cloud of Darkness or whoever. Omega itself has FFXIV exclusive flavor which I think is the important part. (And it's hard for me to complain about 'from another dimension' when the dragons and voidsent are also from other worlds and none the less are a part of FFXIV's setting and Omega's been around since at least the Allegan era.)

I mean the plot could finish with nothing but "and then you finished Omega's tournament and everything ended" but I feel like there's probably going to be at least one or two twists there that help define its role in the world.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Arenvald? Half-roe, half-hyur.

Are you sure? I swear I remember him confessing he was half Garlean during 2.0/2.X. The implication was his Ala Mohegan mother was raped by my Garlean soldier(s) during Ala Mihgo's invasion or early into the occupation (dude is barely older than Alphy).

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 5, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are you sure? I swear I remember him confessing he was half Garlean during 2.0/2.X. The implication was his Ala Mohegan mother was raped by my Garlean soldier(s) during Ala Mihgo's invasion or early into the occupation (dude is barely older than Alphy).

You're correct that he's hyur/garlean, but holy poo poo keep your soldiers under control dude.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fister Roboto posted:

You're correct that he's hyur/garlean, but holy poo poo keep your soldiers under control dude.

Another reason why Baut is awesome :colbert:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's not like there aren't roegadyn in the Garlean army.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

drat auto correct

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Let's talk about two of my favorite things in this game: Crafting and Gathering!

We are two weeks into the patch and yellow scrips are out. It has been enough time to get leveled up and decently geared on combat classes, so I'm sure a lot of people are about to turn to leveling crafting/gathering.

As someone who is just hitting 70 on all my DoH/DoL classes, I figure I'd share some tips of what I did and what I've learned. Others may go about things a different way, but this is how I handled my journey.

1 - Do your GC turn-ins daily. SERIOUSLY. DO YOUR GC TURN-INS. These are worth massive amounts of experience and help you level while focusing on other things. Had you done your GC turn-ins daily from the first day of early access, you'd probably be about level 65 in all of your DoH/DoL classes.

2 - If you are undergeared (i.e. coming into SB without Ironworks), you may want to use a combination leves and GC turn-ins to get yourself from 60-63. Then you can buy some decent gear that will get you over the crafting/gathering up and and allow you to make decent collectibles.

3 - This one is important: USE COMMERCIAL ENGINEERING/SURVIVAL MANUALS. These can be purchased for 30 red scrips each and if you are doing collectibles, you will be loving swimming in red scrips. It's a bonus 300k XP while crafting. That poo poo adds the gently caress up. Generally, I found that I would use one up for about every 10 items I crafted. As for gathering, I didn't much use them on MIN/BOT since I just focused on the Unspoiled Node collectibles, but they were a lifesaver when leveling fishing.

For food, buy Tempura Platter from the vendor in Kugane if you need CP.

4 - Quests now work like the Ixal/Moogle quests. No longer do you have to buy/gather stuff for your quests. You will be handed a crafting reagent and asked to make your quest item from that. For gatherers, there will be special quest items on normal nodes. This means you can't buy yourself to quest completion, but I never found any of the quest crafting/gathering requests that hard. Plus, you can fail it as many times as you want and just request a new item and do it again.

5 - You get quests at level 60, 63, 65, 68, 70. The level 60-68 quests give massive amounts of experience. Personally, I held off on doing all quests until I hit level 68 in my classes. Then I did all of the quests in one go. This was enough experience to take each class from 68 to 69. Then, I used a handful of leves to get over the final hump from 69 to 70. You may prefer to do the quests as they come, but I just liked doing them all at once.

6 - The Yellow Scrip gear is not good. Don't buy it. Buy the tools. Do not buy the gear. Lightly melding the Level 70 crafted gear will give you better results.

Taken from Reddit:
In order to make the White HQ Lvl 70 crafting stuff match the new yellow script stuff, you would need to meld the following stats:
Main Hand: 28 Craft / 15 Control
Head: 7 Control
Body: 23 Craft / 7 Control
Gloves: 7 Control
Legs: 1 Craft / 7 Control
Boots: 1 Craft / 7 Control

At most, buy the body with the main hand, but even that isn't necessary (as you'd be buying a ton of chest pieces vs using a single crafted one).

7 - When pumping out massive amounts of items for collectibles, these were the macros I used. I was sitting at around 950 Craftsmanship/750 Control/385 CP (boosted to 428 with food). My gear was light melded level 65 gear (purchasable from the vendor for red scrips or fairly cheap on the MB).

For 40 durability items, I used this macro. It won't get you HQ that often, but that doesn't matter because the 80 Durability Collectible macro doesn't need HQ items. It mainly just gets the Quality high enough to give a big XP boost and only uses a single macro (I hate using two macros for 40 durability items). It requires 373 CP baseline. As my levels went up, or depending on the item, less Careful Synthesis's were needed, so on a per item basis, I would swap either of the first Careful Synthesis for a bonus Basic Touch. (Remembering this adds an extra 18 CP to the requirements).

/ac "Inner Quiet" <me><wait.2>
/ac "Steady Hand II" <me><wait.2>
/ac "Basic Touch" <me><wait.3>
/ac "Master's Mend" <me><wait.3>
/ac "Careful Synthesis II" <me><wait.3>
/ac "Great Strides" <me><wait.2>
/ac "Byregot's Blessing" <me><wait.3>

For the 80 durability collectibles, I used this macro. I think it only once failed to get me the required collectibility but that was only because almost every loving hasty touch failed. It requires 412 CP.

/ac "Muscle Memory" <me><wait.3>
/ac "Comfort Zone" <me><wait.2>
/ac "Inner Quiet" <me><wait.2>
/ac "Piece by Piece" <me><wait.3>
/ac "Hasty Touch" <me><wait.3>
/ac "Master's Mend II" <me><wait.3>
/ac "Comfort Zone" <me><wait.2>
/echo MACRO DONE

/ac "Great Strides" <me><wait.2>
/ac "Innovation" <me><wait.2>
/ac "Byregot's Blessing" <me><wait.3>

That was how I handled my journey from 60-70. Feel free to disregard any and all of this, but I figured it may help some of you. If you want to ask any more detailed questions, feel free to message me in game about it at Mordiceius Ketsumei.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 5, 2017

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

e:Nah.

Rainuwastaken fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 5, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Does the general uselessness of yellow scrip gear apply to DoL as well?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I think there's a difference between the references in the past and Omega, which is just straight copies from FF5. Like it's not even part of the world of FF14, Omega literally comes from another dimension. Compare that to the Crystal Tower series, which made the FF3 story a part of the history of Eorzea. It's just "hey here are some bosses from FF5".

God I spent the majority of this morning trying to sort out my feelings about Omega, and I think this hits it pretty well. I love FFV, and initially seeing a handful of bosses in-game was a nice surprise, but I think the magic wore off really quickly. I hadn't thought about how it's separate physically from the rest of the world, but that's exactly it. Why should I care about the Dimensional Castle? It's a cool visual reference, but it has no presence in Eorzea like CT did.

Also there's just something a bit disappointing about not being surprised by boss designs. After V2.0 confirmed that all the bosses would be from FFV the only real surprise for me was that the V4.0 boss appears now when I expected it down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The fights are cool and fun so I'm pretty happy with Omega