Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I have a "work wife" and we'll chat and occasionally grab lunch or whatever but blowing kisses and spending every working moment and every lunch together is weird and I doubt she'd break down crying if her hubby said "hey I'm not comfortable with how you are around Pac-Manioc Root maybe dial that poo poo back."

I don't think she's cheating with him but she is a huge idiot who is pushing boundaries for no good reason and making things weird for her coworkers, which like Naerasa said is real bad for an HR drone.
I've had coworkers that had an office marriage dynamic before but they were clearly just good friends rather than actively flirting. Blowing kisses and spending an inordinate amount of time in each others offices is obviously crossing a line, particularly if Jim is already unhappy in his marriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

ArbitraryC posted:

I've had coworkers that had an office marriage dynamic before but they were clearly just good friends rather than actively flirting. Blowing kisses and spending an inordinate amount of time in each others offices is obviously crossing a line, particularly if Jim is already unhappy in his marriage.

It's an easily soluble problem, she just needs to dial it back from like an "11" to a more obviously harmless "5."

She won't though because r/relationships.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I had a 'lab wife' in grad school, except we were like an old married couple who constantly argued, competed for time on equipment, and loudly griped about each other from across the office. Good times; I miss her.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
You left out that the lady married to the child used a throwaway called "angryoverbacon."

Some comments from the wife:

quote:

He can't cope with the modern world, I agree. He keeps telling me that he'd have been a great husband 50 years ago, but that life's too hard on men now.
He is a good man, he loves his family and he's good with our dogs. I think that he would be a good dad, he just wouldn't pick up the slack.

quote:

His mum did do everything for him, yeah. His father doesn't really have anything nice to say about him and jokingly asks me why I'm with his son.

quote:

By good dad, I meant that he wouldn't hit our child. I suppose that's a pretty low expectation.

quote:

In a lot of ways I'd be better off, mainly I'd just be able to see my family more often but I do feel responsible for him in a lot of ways. He has no job experience for a CV, no true life skills. I'd basically just be leaving him to live an awful life and he's told me he'd kill himself so many times that I couldn't cope with that.

quote:

I don't want to hurt him and I really don't know what he'd do if I left. A part of me is also afraid that I'm as damaged as him now and I wouldn't find anyone else.

quote:

He did go to CBT therapy a few years ago after I'd begged him to go but he said it was stupid and that he knew more than the therapist so he didn't need to go anymore.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
jim wants to gently caress the guy's wife

cumshitter posted:

You left out that the lady married to the child used a throwaway called "angryoverbacon."

and this is just sad

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

cumshitter posted:

:chloe: especially the "i'm worried I'm as damaged as him and would never find nobody else."

:siren: :sever: :siren: before there's kids involved

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

cumshitter posted:

By good dad, I meant that he wouldn't hit our child. I suppose that's a pretty low expectation.

oof

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Well I'm depressed now

Just go get a sperm donor or adopt, lady, you're used to having a baby at home you have to watch around the stove

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
In the comments she does at least take the advice of getting therapy for both of them. Which they both pretty clearly need.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

:whitewater: you mean a second baby

My (30f) husband (29m) is mad at me because I won't do his work presentation for him while I'm home recovering from surgery.

Jesus, at least this one isn't going to get stuck having his kid.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

/r/relationships: By good dad, I meant that he wouldn't hit our child. I suppose that's a pretty low expectation.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What is this "work spouse" stuff? I only know of thinly-veiled contempt between my coworkers.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

cumshitter posted:

In the comments she does at least take the advice of getting therapy for both of them. Which they both pretty clearly need.

her baby already flaked out of therapy once. he isn't giving it another go.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What is this "work spouse" stuff? I only know of thinly-veiled contempt between my coworkers.

sounds like you're work polygamous

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

I think it's people you say "thank god it's Friday" to

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

What's your question?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
No, really, what's the definition of a work spouse? Because if it's a person of the other gender that you get along with, but would never gently caress, isn't that, like, a friend at work?

And if it's a person of another gender that you would gently caress, then why are we acting like it's cute?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Slugworth posted:

No, really, what's the definition of a work spouse? Because if it's a person of the other gender that you get along with, but would never gently caress, isn't that, like, a friend at work?

And if it's a person of another gender that you would gently caress, then why are we acting like it's cute?

Sometimes you gel really well with someone at work. Sometimes you spend more time at work than with your spouse/family and that work relationship becomes a surrogate for the the other relationships you are letting wither and fester. Often both parties are married or are at least in committed relationships and are not interested in infidelity, but they pretty much become a couple during work hours as a coping mechanism. Sometimes the term is jokingly applied to people who just rock at work together.

:goonsay:

I never had contempt for anything but management, same for fellow employees. It was pretty much entrenched class warfare breeding camaraderie within the proletariat. Kinda weird in America.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Slugworth posted:

An emotional concubine.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

:whitewater: you mean a second baby

My (30f) husband (29m) is mad at me because I won't do his work presentation for him while I'm home recovering from surgery.

In the context of everything in this thread, this just sounds like a normal dude reaching his burnout point and acting poorly.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

An emotional concubine.

It's this

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

new phone who dis posted:

In the context of everything in this thread, this just sounds like a normal dude reaching his burnout point and acting poorly.

it was poorly timed after the actual manbaby but drat that girl got hollowed out like a fucken canoe and dude still expects her to do his homework for him

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
She doesn't even know anything about his job, how would she even be able to do it? She could help him with parts of it but expecting her to do the whole thing is weird.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

it was poorly timed after the actual manbaby but drat that girl got hollowed out like a fucken canoe and dude still expects her to do his homework for him

I expect he's just doing literally everything without enough time to get it all done and is desperately trying to figure out something she can do to alleviate the pressure. Also, her hang-up on "cheating" is pretty childish considering that job is how both of them are currently surviving. It's not grade school, lady.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It sounds like he's just melting the gently caress down on the nearest available target who isn't in a position to get him fired or anything over it, and had to go all the way to 'my spouse won't magically make my work go away' to find an actual grievance to start a fight with her over, without it ever dawning on him that maybe the problem is him and he shouldn't be picking on his incredibly unwell and extremely accomodating wife. He's def not the biggest freak in the thread but gently caress that's a bar to clear

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 5, 2017

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

People on the internet are broken af.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Viva Miriya posted:

I know that's why I'm here.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

new phone who dis posted:

I expect he's just doing literally everything without enough time to get it all done and is desperately trying to figure out something she can do to alleviate the pressure. Also, her hang-up on "cheating" is pretty childish considering that job is how both of them are currently surviving. It's not grade school, lady.

he's still a loving rear end in a top hat because if you reach a burnout point you need to find someone and some way to vent that isn't taking it out on the person who is even worse off than you (ie the person who just had a major surgery to have all her loving guts loving removed)

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
How do these idiots just stumble right into a relationship with a woman who will take care of them financially AND do all the housework? Wait... maybe it's because they're incompetent that they find these girls? Maybe she sought out a gormless idiot she'd have to take care of, for reasons incomprehensible to me?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

cumshitter posted:

"he'd have been a great husband 50 years ago, but that life's too hard on men "

translation: He would have been able to be a lazy poo poo who shoved all the work off on his wife, and nobody would have batted an eye at it.

Viva Miriya posted:

People are broken af.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Haifisch posted:

translation: He would have been able to be a lazy poo poo who shoved all the work off on his wife, and nobody would have batted an eye at it.

Actually, he would have been a bad husband because he doesn't want to work because he's a lazy piece of poo poo and he wouldn't have a wife because he wouldn't be able to provide.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Haifisch posted:

Hell even in idealized Leave It To Beaver times there would at least be the expectation he'd put on his pinstripe suit, go put in a solid 50 hour week at the racism factory, and spend his weekends fussing over the lawn.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

MF_James posted:

Actually, he would have been a bad husband because he doesn't want to work because he's a lazy piece of poo poo and he wouldn't have a wife because he wouldn't be able to provide.
Point.

Mine [25F] and my family's religious differences are causing problems in my wedding.

quote:

So I want to start off by saying that I truthfully don't see this as being a HUGE deal which is why I'm trying to figure out why I feel so upset over it.
To paint a picture of the difference between myself and my family, my family is very conservative right wing Christians who are deeply religious. I'm extremely liberal and mostly align with Buddhism. This means there are some very stark differences in our beliefs. But I have never once said anything disrespectful about their beliefs, while they constantly tear down liberals and are very vocal about their beliefs. I always pray with them at dinner when I am at their house and try to adhere to their practices while under their roof out of respect. I never mention my beliefs and mostly try to avoid the topic because truthfully I'm scared that they would think less of me. I love my family and struggle enough with feeling like the black sheep and honestly just want to fit in.

So my fiance and I are getting married in November and I let my family know from the beginning that this would not be a traditional wedding and that I wanted to do things our own way. They have been mostly respectful of this so far. My uncle typically officiates all the family members weddings (he's a pastor) and we decided not to use him because we do not want religion to be part of our wedding. I already feel like some family members are looking down on me because of this decision, but I'm not going to spend the most important day of my life being someone I'm not.

This brings us to the current issue. I am having a circus themed wedding. Our wedding planner found some really cool circus acts to hire for our wedding. One of those was a tarot card reader which I was super excited about because I love reading cards and thought this would be such a cool element to add to our wedding. I received a text message from my stepmom this morning that said verbatim:

Hey ____! I just wanted to chat about the wedding for a second. We really have wanted to sit back and just let you guys plan everything because it's your wedding and we don't want at all to take away from your vision of your big day but we have one thing that is making us feel uncomfortable. The tarot card reader... I know it's probably not a big deal to you but for us and for maybe some other family it might be something that is not welcomed for our own beliefs and feelings. Do you think we could find something else fun to replace that part of it?

For some reason I felt really hurt by this. Ultimately it's a small part of the celebration and I'm sure we could find something else, but I think it's something bigger than that. I think I feel hurt that I am always so respectful of everyone else's beliefs, even though I don't agree with them, but they can't be accepting of me. I might be reading too much into this, and maybe since I'm not a Christian I don't see what the big deal is, but I just feel hurt and sad.

Since they are paying for the wedding, I feel like the right thing to do is let it go and find a replacement. I guess I'm just looking for someone else's opinion on if that's the right thing to do.

Also, if any Christians read this, maybe you could explain why this would make someone feel so uncomfortable and that might help me better understand where they are coming from.

tl;dr: My deeply religious family asked me to remove the tarot card reader from my wedding, should I just let it go?

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
no but seriously where can I find a mom-wife so i dont have to go to work anymore. Do I need to start using reddit?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Haifisch posted:

Point.

Mine [25F] and my family's religious differences are causing problems in my wedding.

Maybe I'm becoming an out-of-touch Old, but this honestly seems like a really minuscule concession for a free ride on the wedding bill as long as that's all they're asking. Means more to the Christ-Lovers not to have it than it would mean to include it for the "circus theme" so I say give it to 'em.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jim Barris posted:

no but seriously where can I find a mom-wife so i dont have to go to work anymore. Do I need to start using reddit?

if you missed Pick's extended saga of being conditioned from infancy to care for her manchild dad and sociopath mom, going out in the big wide world and immediately latching onto the most helpless and unrewarding recipient of care she could find, I kind of envy you

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
^^^ guess I was kind of right

Jim Barris posted:

How do these idiots just stumble right into a relationship with a woman who will take care of them financially AND do all the housework? Wait... maybe it's because they're incompetent that they find these girls? Maybe she sought out a gormless idiot she'd have to take care of, for reasons incomprehensible to me?

Armchair psychology warning: they have emotional issues as well, likely in the form of extraordinarily lovely self esteem / confidence, which is why they don’t just dump their horrible partner and get someone better. Probably due to some amount of abuse during childhood. Maybe one of their parents was abusive or emotionally distant, so they subconsciously want to help fix that relationship by seeking out a partner that’s similar in an attempt to fix him/her.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I kind of envy you

I do. It was the most boring banal poo poo over and over for months. Weirdly obsessive and repetitive, and just kept being fired back up with the same stories and answers over and over.

It's the worst (as in boring) I remember GBS being, like, ever.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 5, 2017

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

if you missed Pick's extended saga of being conditioned from infancy to care for her manchild parents, going out in the big wide world and immediately latching onto the most childish and helpless recipient of care she could find, I kind of envy you

Viva Miriya posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Loads of people unconsciously seek to replicate their parents' relationships, Redditors breed Redditors