Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Goon Danton posted:

I wish I could remember who pointed it out to me, but the core action behind Neo "taking the red pill" is "a woman and a black man explain to a white man that he's wrong about literally everything."

I think it is MovieBob on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

LanceHunter posted:

Go re-watch American Beauty and you'll see that we at least thought it was.

American Beauty, The Matrix, Fight Club and a lot of other movies build off that late 90s ennui, although they go in radically different directions.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
The "red pill" Laci Green says she took... is that suppose to be the same red pill of reddit infamy?

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
It probably means the generic "woke". Taking the red pill refers to Neo being revealed reality for what it is, for MRA guys it's seeing the tendrils of Matriarchy,
for her it's probably seeing how toxic the cultural marxists and liberal regressive are.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
yeah, red pill doesn't mean anything, everybody just reads their own issues into the phrase. mras have their red pill, 911 truthers have their red pill, flat earthers, white genocide people...

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

white genocide people...
speaking of, it seems like the ol' white genocide might be having a little redbranding in the alt-lite spheres:

i think ol' carlgon used this type of language, too. its sort of impressive how evasive these shitheads are in their use of terminology.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

fallenturtle posted:

The "red pill" Laci Green says she took... is that suppose to be the same red pill of reddit infamy?

Yes, which has expanded from its original misogyny into a broader form of white male supremacy.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Kjoery posted:

speaking of, it seems like the ol' white genocide might be having a little redbranding in the alt-lite spheres:

i think ol' carlgon used this type of language, too. its sort of impressive how evasive these shitheads are in their use of terminology.

Replaced seems like a less accurate word, since it implies an initial usefulness.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kjoery posted:

Well you kinda have to when you start drifting into literal nazi ideology.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
https://youtu.be/flfXnchlQ9o
Some Jordan Peterson fan spliced the guy's talk with Tyler Durden, to show how similar the things they say are, which means that Jordan Peterson is a mofo woke badass just like Durden.
Personally, I don't think the similarities say much good about Peterson.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Was it Lindsey that talks about how Fight Club shows men who feel emasculated by corporate culture so they just recreate the same culture but seeped in masculine ideals?
I swear the antifems have Stockholm syndrome with the patriarchy. They're aware of how gender norms can work against them. But their response to being the dregs of society is to complain that they're not getting their proper turn at being the oppressor. They just recreate the things that make them miserable. Pick up artistry that makes them even more dateless. They're the wolves in captivity, but they put themselves in the cage trying to rule something anything. The alphas are the ones with the gall to hock their own bullshit to the suckers that think any of this applies outside of their idealogical playpen

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Was it Lindsey that talks about how Fight Club shows men who feel emasculated by corporate culture so they just recreate the same culture but seeped in masculine ideals?
I swear the antifems have Stockholm syndrome with the patriarchy. They're aware of how gender norms can work against them. But their response to being the dregs of society is to complain that they're not getting their proper turn at being the oppressor. They just recreate the things that make them miserable. Pick up artistry that makes them even more dateless. They're the wolves in captivity, but they put themselves in the cage trying to rule something anything. The alphas are the ones with the gall to hock their own bullshit to the suckers that think any of this applies outside of their idealogical playpen

It's what nagal said too. They think if they can recreate the old days they can enjoy the fruits of it. Which they probably wouldn't.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
Angela Nagle pointed out perfectly on Chapo that all these alt-right guys that pine for the days of actual patriarchy wouldn't actually be able to handle what they're pining for because they have the completely wrong idea on what patriarchy is. Basically that yeah, you get to be all head of household with final say but you're effectively reduced to a worker bot that is slaved completely to supporting the family structure. No emotions, who gives a poo poo about how you actually feel...you're the breadwinner, now destroy yourself to provide. None of these guys would actually be able to handle that.

Also, what the gently caress is up with Laci Green?

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Folding ideas covered this topic here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td88z08a_4c. I highly recommend his channel.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

That was always similar to my reading of Fight Club (or what it should've been anyway). Tyler Durden is basically Hitler. There's no question that modern life had stripped away all sense of self and identity, but his solution was a hyper-masculine cult that also eroded the self and morphed it into serving the greater purpose of Project Mayhem.

I also always loved the use of the Red Pill considering it was also another form of control. That's still my theory as to why nerds hated the second Matrix movie (I'll say I at least give it a pass. Not so much for the third one) because all that "gently caress the system, fight the power" stuff from the first one was also another load of poo poo just as a steam valve on their society. The only reason Neo "won" in the end was because he sacrificed himself (initially for love, anyway) realizing he was never meant to actually live in the peaceful world.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Angela Nagle pointed out perfectly on Chapo that all these alt-right guys that pine for the days of actual patriarchy wouldn't actually be able to handle what they're pining for because they have the completely wrong idea on what patriarchy is. Basically that yeah, you get to be all head of household with final say but you're effectively reduced to a worker bot that is slaved completely to supporting the family structure. No emotions, who gives a poo poo about how you actually feel...you're the breadwinner, now destroy yourself to provide. None of these guys would actually be able to handle that.

This, too. Much like everyone that fantasizes about Star Wars thinks they'll be the hotshot ace pilot or kick-rear end Jedi master instead of some random mook who gets blown away 5 minutes by the next Darth Vader.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Monglo posted:

https://youtu.be/flfXnchlQ9o
Some Jordan Peterson fan spliced the guy's talk with Tyler Durden, to show how similar the things they say are, which means that Jordan Peterson is a mofo woke badass just like Durden.
Personally, I don't think the similarities say much good about Peterson.
That segued into another Jordan Peterson over unrelated movies video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhrpcwIZdiQ

Interesting how it started with yeah, yeah, everyone suffers, but then leads into "You can be some kind of hero, make the suffering in the world less. That's the way forward as far as I can tell, if there is any way forward."

But, y'know, if you dare try to do that in a way that inconveniences me in the slightest then I will lay furious shitposts on you and accuse you of whining victimhood rather than organizing to make the suffering in the world less.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Well Carl might be inbred enough to be a Hapsburg.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Yeah they don't realize that a lot of the advances made since those times helped whitebread dudes out too.

It's pretty much a shame that we have a more open society in a time of economic downturn, nigh on collapse. That IMO is what has spawned the alt-right, PUAs, MRAs and so on. They're blaming openness instead of the true culprits. I wonder if it's because they feel those culprits are invulnerable, or if it is totally because they've been tricked. It would be interesting to see what it would be like if things were socially like now, but the economy and job market were like it was in the 50s. Of course, with automation, that might never happen again.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

She started dating an idiot who convinced her to hear his rotten mind grapes out

Also she's using clickbait to get those idiot's fans to look at her vids. For example, her latest video, "HOW MANY FREAKIN GENDERS" has a cover image (or whatever you call those in youtube. Thumbnails?) that says "ONLY. TWO." and next to her making a goofy face are the male and female symbol. But according to the description, the video isn't "lol only two genders! owned!" it's an examination and discussion of what she perceives are the various stances on that issue. I ain't gonna watch that poo poo, because her style has always annoyed me anyway, but it seems to be a touch nuanced from that description. Don't know how fair her coverage is though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah they don't realize that a lot of the advances made since those times helped whitebread dudes out too.

It's pretty much a shame that we have a more open society in a time of economic downturn, nigh on collapse. That IMO is what has spawned the alt-right, PUAs, MRAs and so on. They're blaming openness instead of the true culprits. I wonder if it's because they feel those culprits are invulnerable, or if it is totally because they've been tricked. It would be interesting to see what it would be like if things were socially like now, but the economy and job market were like it was in the 50s. Of course, with automation, that might never happen again.

They identify with power and cleave to the incredibly resilient constructs of white supremacy and individualism that have survived every previous attempt at an open society. There were absolutely people like this in the 90s--maybe even more of them--but they were isolated and felt alone. The internet and the convulsions the republican party has gone through to make it a white-identitarian party has given them courage. Think back to when you were in high school and what the boys (and maybe some girls) said about feminism, or what the white students said about civil rights.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

That guy you knew who loved American History X

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Idk I liked American history x. I thought it did a great job showing how a lot of hardcore bigots are created and how the whole lovely bigot groups work.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Idk I liked American history x. I thought it did a great job showing how a lot of hardcore bigots are created and how the whole lovely bigot groups work.

There's a difference between liking American History X itself and liking it too much.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Oh wow I redpilled my way into supporting the current dominant power structure and sucking the dick of authority and into demeaning the weak and powerless members of society look at me guys I'm a rebel please daddy pleaaaaaaassssseeeeeeeee

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Alternatively, that guy you knew who hated American History X for all the wrong reasons

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Monglo posted:

It probably means the generic "woke". Taking the red pill refers to Neo being revealed reality for what it is, for MRA guys it's seeing the tendrils of Matriarchy,
for her it's probably seeing how toxic the cultural marxists and liberal regressive are.

Ah. I knew about the Matrix reference, I just thought there might be one official Red Pill in regards to MRAs. Seemed surprising that so many women would agree with the vileness posted on the RP subreddit.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

fallenturtle posted:

Ah. I knew about the Matrix reference, I just thought there might be one official Red Pill in regards to MRAs. Seemed surprising that so many women would agree with the vileness posted on the RP subreddit.

:ssh: Women can (and do) reinforce the patriarchy as much as men.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

You guys know of this Bearing chap? He's like Sargon, but with 100 times more rear end in a top hat.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
That bear he uses is from Total Drama Island

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Deified Data posted:

That bear he uses is from Total Drama Island

He got a lot of poo poo for making money with that avatar so he recently changed it.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Kamrat posted:

He got a lot of poo poo for making money with that avatar so he recently changed it.

"got a lot of poo poo" as in "his entire channel was nuked for copyright infringement" so his fans lined up with brand-new replacement bear avatars for him

he used to occasionally post videos making fun of mgtows but doesn't do that anymore i guess, it's all pretty much whatever sargon has been talking about lately

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5AKjNjFEQA

Sargon has a new video :cry: about CNN being mean to that innocent possibly-a-nazi reddit user.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

For a man who complains about them all the time Carlgon is an utter snowflake.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why are they worried about getting doxxed if being racist is a ok.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i'm not going to watch that video or anything but I'll take the radical viewpoint that I don't think a media organization should be in the business of doxxing people.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
its a good thing nobody got doxxed then or else this might all be a massive controversy over nothing where internet racists collectively lose their minds

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Dreylad posted:

i'm not going to watch that video or anything but I'll take the radical viewpoint that I don't think a media organization should be in the business of doxxing people.

They didn't doxx anyone.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nah if you're gonna post antisemitic and racist garbage and carry water for authoritarians you deserve it. cnn was far too kind.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Like CNN's falling apart because the president posted a dumb tweet and their journalists apparently can't check the validity of an anonymous source but they're now threatening to expose random people just seems stupid as hell to me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he wasn't random. they were far too kind in not including his name, people get named in all sorts of situations often times when it isn't even their fault. it was his fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

CNN should grow the gently caress up.

• Locked thread