Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Hopefully it's a longer jump than that. I want everyone to be more or less moved on with their lives and hardly thinking about Barry.

It won't be though unless they do a jump on every cw supershow because crossovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I want them to jump to the 22nd century and do a whole season of Eobard Thawne dealing with Barry loving up his life.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Tree Dude posted:

Hopefully it's a longer jump than that. I want everyone to be more or less moved on with their lives and hardly thinking about Barry.

It won't be though unless they do a jump on every cw supershow because crossovers.

I saw an article saying that Iris would be taking a leadership role on Team Flash. At least it would give her something other to do than "be Barry's plot motivation."

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Aleph Null posted:

I saw an article saying that Iris would be taking a leadership role on Team Flash. At least it would give her something other to do than "be Barry's plot motivation."

Good. One of the biggest missed opportunities of the show was not writing Iris more competently. She's supposed to be a scrappy investigative reporter, not a damsel in distress.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'd much prefer if they actually showed her at her job and maybe tied that into the season plot somehow (not as her investigating stuff and getting kidnapped every week).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Iris was always at her best when she wasn't taking anyone's poo poo. Hopefully her being the one who finally capped Savitar for good was the start of the Flash writers remembering that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just make sure Iris is pregnant and married when Barry returns so he has something new to mope about.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
You jest, but surely there's 0 chance Iris isn't in a new, serious relationship at the start of Season 4. I mean, it's an inevitability at this point, right?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Her new husband is black but the baby comes out white OH GOD IS IT BARRY'S?!

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
How many episodes you think before Iris expresses guilt about killing Savitar?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Tree Dude posted:

How many episodes you think before Iris expresses guilt about killing Savitar?

Opening scene?

Iris crying on her bed suddenly barry appears. Barry, how did you escape the speedforce? Barry puts some shades on, speedforce baby i ain't gotta explain poo poo.

*opening credits*

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GreenNight posted:

Her new husband is black but the baby comes out white OH GOD IS IT'S BARRY'S?!

ftfy

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

The Croc posted:

Opening scene?

Iris crying on her bed suddenly barry appears. Barry, how did you escape the speedforce? Barry puts some shades on, speedforce baby i ain't gotta explain poo poo.

*opening credits*

This is probably literally, objectively better than what we'll actually get...

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
"The speed force sent me back... they said this threat is so great that it threatens the speed force itself!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
"I call it... the SLOWFORCE!"

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
It's actually a mix up. It's not a "time jump" it's "jump time". Barry is going to escape the Speed Force and jump the personification of Time, stealing it's wallet.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

LongDarkNight posted:

It's actually a mix up. It's not a "time jump" it's "jump time". Barry is going to escape the Speed Force and jump the personification of Time, stealing it's wallet.

In this instance the personification will be King Shark.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I just hope they look at legends and make this season a silly place.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bozart posted:

I just hope they look at legends and make this season a silly place.
They can make it good without copying the tone from another show. Flash season 1 wasn't silly, but it was a lot more fun.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

They can make it good without copying the tone from another show. Flash season 1 wasn't silly, but it was a lot more fun.

I guess Supergirl is the fun hopeful show now. The Flash is the show where characters are told to go faster, that the tone they're going for. Encouragement of speed

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was super loving weird when last season they did the amnesia episode and were all "Man, Barry sure is fun when he's happy and not moping. Well, can't have that any more!" back to sadville.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Guy Goodbody posted:

I guess Supergirl is the fun hopeful show now. The Flash is the show where characters are told to go faster, that the tone they're going for. Encouragement of speed
Eh Supergirl wasn't that great this most recent season with the exception of the last couple episodes.

Here's what I personally think made Flash Season 1 work:

-Barry enjoyed being the Flash. I haven't gotten the sense that he likes being a hero from these past couple seasons the way it was shown in season 1. The best Flash moments we get from him are when he does smaller scale stuff, but the producers seem more inclined to go toward "epic" poo poo that bogs everything down.

-The team dynamic was a lot stronger. I think the downside to expanding the cast is you have more bodies in the room and not as much screentime to flesh them out. When it was just Barry, Cisco, Caitlin and Wells on the day to day basis, it felt a lot more tight-knit and all the characters had some dynamic with one another.

The increased presence of Joe and Iris (both of whom probably spend more time at STAR Labs than at their actual jobs), as well as adding Wally and occasionally Jesse, made the dynamics spread a lot more thin. Some characters just never interacted with each other one on one at all.

-Just generally felt more fresh. Look let's be honest, there was no comic show like Flash on tv when it first aired. All comic book adaptation shows were either street level affairs (Agents of SHIELD, Arrow) or were gritty and attempting realism (Walking Dead.) A comic book show that has to actually rely on big budget special effects was not par the course.

-A great villain. Zoom and Savitar were just poor man copies of Wellsobard/Eobard Thawne at the end of the day, and they have been trying to copy that magic to no avail.

I think they missed the point that Wellsobard worked because of his personal connection to Barry. Being his creator, mentor, the man who murdered his mother, and biggest supporter both morally and in his ear. Zoom was a very poor attempt to recreate that, and Savitar would have benefited from an earlier reveal.

If Savitar was revealed earlier they could do some really strong episodes on how Barry feels knowing there is an evil version of himself running around, about how Iris feels knowing she is killed by an alternate version of her lover, about how the team feels knowing that some version of Barry Allen is intent on ruining their lives. Saving it for the last couple episodes weakened it, especially when the audience for the most part saw the reveal coming many episodes before the cast got it.

I think the producers would honestly benefit from trying to stop copying Season 1 and instead focus on making good stories. Season 3 was better than Season 2 in my opinion, but they again tried to push the "epic" envelope too much that it fell flat. I hope the lack of a speedster villain will improve on things, as the plot won't again focus on Barry needing to go faster to beat his enemy.

lotus circle fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 7, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lotus circle posted:

I think they missed the point that Wellsobard worked because of his personal connection to Barry. Being his creator, mentor, the man who murdered his mother, and biggest supporter both morally and in his ear. Zoom was a very poor attempt to recreate that, and Savitar would have benefited from an earlier reveal.

I remember that one interview Kreisberg (?) did late in season two after the Zoom reveal where he talked about how terrible the betrayal was for Barry, discovering that Jay, who he'd thought of as a friend and mentor, was actually evil. And the reaction to it was, you didn't see any of that on screen; Jay was never really much of a mentor at all. But based on that interview, the guys writing the show seemed to think they'd done that and that it should be clear to the audience at home. :shrug:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

lotus circle posted:

Eh Supergirl wasn't that great this most recent season with the exception of the last couple episodes.

The first four episode of Supergirl this season are really strong. The middle drags with all the focus on Guardian and Mon-El.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I think they should bring barry back but he should be a lot dumber, somehow.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember that one interview Kreisberg (?) did late in season two after the Zoom reveal where he talked about how terrible the betrayal was for Barry, discovering that Jay, who he'd thought of as a friend and mentor, was actually evil. And the reaction to it was, you didn't see any of that on screen; Jay was never really much of a mentor at all. But based on that interview, the guys writing the show seemed to think they'd done that and that it should be clear to the audience at home. :shrug:
Yeah I remember that too and it was absolutely bullshit. Jay and Barry barely had any one-on-one interactions with each other after the first couple episodes. Harry was more a mentor frankly, which makes sense since Barry wants a Harrison Wells that isn't a murderer and overall life ruiner.

Most of Jay's scenes were with Caitlin in fact, so her feeling betrayed is far more justified. They really did a disservice to Teddy Sears by not giving him a full-time contract. Having your villain be a guest-star with limited episodes doesn't work if you also want to cultivate that inner-connection.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Bozart posted:

I think they should bring barry back but he should be a lot dumber, somehow.

Barry becomes the first person to ever score a negative number on an IQ test. And suddenly, a black hole appears...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lotus circle posted:

Yeah I remember that too and it was absolutely bullshit. Jay and Barry barely had any one-on-one interactions with each other after the first couple episodes. Harry was more a mentor frankly, which makes sense since Barry wants a Harrison Wells that isn't a murderer and overall life ruiner.

Indeed. I even remember someone saying in the season two thread that it would have been a genuinely cool twist if, building up to it, they'd had sketchy Harry who nobody trusts and is explicitly set up as an untrustworthy character giving Barry good advice that just isn't listened to (and they did do that to some extent) and upright lantern-jawed Jay putting everyone at ease but deliberately misleading Barry or just not being much use at all acting as Barry's shoulder angels. The latter point is where they fell down; Jay's entire role up until the big reveal is a good example of telling rather than showing (and, with said interview in mind, not really telling in the show).

quote:

They really did a disservice to Teddy Sears by not giving him a full-time contract. Having your villain be a guest-star with limited episodes doesn't work if you also want to cultivate that inner-connection.

I actually really enjoyed him playing a deranged grandstanding supervillain in the last half-dozen or so episodes, but my big problem with Zoom is that he's a master villain who doesn't really have a master plan.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

McSpanky posted:

I want them to jump to the 22nd century and do a whole season of Eobard Thawne dealing with Barry loving up his life.

"I'm sorry Mr. Thawne, you application for a space home owners loan has been declined. I'm afraid your credit score was not something we could accept."

"What?!? But I have great cred.... wait something's changed. I'LL GET YOU FLASH!"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

Whenever Barry is about to have sex, he psyches himself up whispering "run, Barry!"

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
How many of The Flash's rogue's gallery are still around to show up? I still feel like Barry the murderer killed off a lot of them, and then captured most of 'em when he stopped his killing habit, that could have been great for season-long villains that were totally underutilized.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yo but seriously why did Savitar give a poo poo about giving people their powers from Flashpoint

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I mean his plan is less incoherent than Zoom's but it's still not great.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Is it really, though? I mean they're both a mess but Zoom at least had the basic concept that he was trying to fatten Barry up like a Speed Force turkey before he slaughtered him. Besides Caitlyn and Wally, I literally cannot come up with the slightest explanation for why Savitar was powering up a bunch of random scrubs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when Zoom got together an army of bad guys from Earth 2 and then set them on Central City? Then Barry beat them all in the cold open of the next episode?

Remember how one of them was just a guy standing in the back wearing a zoot suit?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

That was my favorite part because for ten seconds I thought he really was the fast man with average intelligence alive.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yo but seriously why did Savitar give a poo poo about giving people their powers from Flashpoint

I guess you could argue that he knew he needed Wally to have powers so Wally could be stupid *and* powerful enough to let him out of the Speed Force jail, and therefore had to start planting that seed about 'get your Flashpoint powers heeeeere' with the others?

It's not great, but I feel like they could have saved it if they'd had the guts to actually go with the 'the solution to Savitar is just to not treat him like a monster' resolution.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

How many of The Flash's rogue's gallery are still around to show up? I still feel like Barry the murderer killed off a lot of them, and then captured most of 'em when he stopped his killing habit, that could have been great for season-long villains that were totally underutilized.

Mister Element is probably the last semi-significant one that I can think of, I would like to see him done well only because they kinda wasted Alchemy (although they could still very well do something with the stone since they never explained wtf was up with it, presumably something Savitar encountered in the future and decided to use). Maybe Murmur and some of the other Geoff Johns era ones like that playing card dude?

They haven't killed too many of them actually, the main ones have always been Cold, Heatwave, Boomerang, Trickster, Mirror Master, Grodd, Reverse Flash, Pied Piper, Weather Wizard, all of whom are still kicking around in some capacity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wasn't Murmur on Arrow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Remember when they introduced a villain who had the ability to slow things down? Isn't that a really fun idea for a villain in a show about a guy who goes fast?

But then they made him a hosed up rapist serial killer and killed him at the end of the episode.

• Locked thread