Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Mihawk laughs, reads the paper, and has to put up with dumb teenagers like Zoro and Perona. I'd say that's enough. The fact that characters like him and Zoro actually smile and have fun on occasion, when typical Shonen characters of that trope don't have any emotions beyond "Scowl" and "disinterest" is a testament to it. I normally don't like characters like that since they're so 1-note, but Mihawk lives in a castle and has to put up with crazy sword baboons, which is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
I'm continually impressed about how much I actually like a dark edgy swordsman named Dracule Mihawk who lives in a gloomy castle and rides around in a coffin.

Oda did a really good job of making Mihawk a cool dude who just has some weird interests.

E: ^yeah that

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

EGSunBro posted:

I'm continually impressed about how much I actually like a dark edgy swordsman named Dracule Mihawk who lives in a gloomy castle and rides around in a coffin.

Oda did a really good job of making Mihawk a cool dude who just has some weird interests.

E: ^yeah that

I liked him as soon as Zoro told him "a swordsman's greatest shame is a scar on the back" and he responded with an approving nod. Also his "I'm the greatest swordsman in the world and I will hold on to that title until you come and take it from me"

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
When Zoro wound up at Mihawk's castle it was nice to see that Mihawk had emotions beyond being serious. Having him genuinely laugh really subverts how characters like him are generally portrayed.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

EmmyOk posted:

I liked him as soon as Zoro told him "a swordsman's greatest shame is a scar on the back" and he responded with an approving nod. Also his "I'm the greatest swordsman in the world and I will hold on to that title until you come and take it from me"

There's plenty of one piece moments that make me feel the same way, but just reading this post gave me chills, drat

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Zoro and Mihawk have a cool relationship given they're the pair where the new generation person interacts with the person they are aping/going to surpass the most. Plus Mihawk pretty much immediately knowing Zoro was going to be the one to surpass him is cool. Adding Perona to that relationship and throwing in some sword baboons and Oda really made one of my favorite sections of the world.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Just the fact that Mihawk apparently rides around the Grand Line on a coffin-shaped raft with a chair and some candles was enough to endear him to me, frankly. Gets across how much of a badass he is while also being rather silly because it's so impractically edgy.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

O_________O

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is it Thursday yet? I really need it to be Thursday now.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

oddium posted:

he lives and farms with baboons

You're right that that totally undermines his dignity for comedic effect, but it actually made me respect him more.

lowercase16 posted:

I really like this one. If you remember, Mihawk tells Zoro that those humandrills are a very intelligent, tool-using ape. Because the only humans they've ever seen destroyed themselves in a bloody war, the humandrills learned how to use weapons and fought constantly.

Until now. Mihawk is teaching them peace, you guys. :3:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I just realized the thing that bugs me about One Piece is how complicated navigating the Grand Line is supposed to be and how all these great crews have these amazing navigators but then there's just random people like Mihawk wandering around in a coffin, or Franky coming back to the island after the time skip with some old guy and a kid who weren't even pirates.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

RealFoxy posted:

I just realized the thing that bugs me about One Piece is how complicated navigating the Grand Line is supposed to be and how all these great crews have these amazing navigators but then there's just random people like Mihawk wandering around in a coffin, or Franky coming back to the island after the time skip with some old guy and a kid who weren't even pirates.

The thing that bugs me is that it shouldnt be possible to leave the grand line at all (unless youre a marine or a Kuja pirate), but don kreig and mihawk seemed to do it effortlessly

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

I still think that the wedding Shanks attended was Mihawk & Perona. This picture is evidence.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Please don't ruin Peronoaroa Zoro

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

Franky arrived from Baldimore, which is in Paradise; it's possible it was very close by. Mihawk is tough enough to brave the Grand Line's weather, probably doesn't care much about reaching any particular place quickly, and probably has Eternal Poses to his castle and to Marineford.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I still think that the wedding Shanks attended was Mihawk & Perona. This picture is evidence.

It is definitely Shanks marrying Makino considering when we saw her with a baby Oda labelled it "ah that baby must be that man's"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Actually, who does manage to be serious, dignified, and conventionally badass-looking all the time in One Piece? The only characters I can think of immediately are Whitebeard and Sakazuki. Even Lucci has the pigeon ventriloquism thing, and Crocodile got pranked during the Baroque Works cover arc.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

If it weren't for the bear ears hat, Kuma would be pretty close.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I really need to reread One Piece because I kind of binged it and a lot of smaller details and characters didn't stick very well and I always have to look them up when they're mentioned.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Kaku for sure

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I would have said Smoker until Punk Hazard, and i think he still comes the closest, but then Oda had a lot of fun with him being oblivious enough to dress exactly the same in Tashigi's body and chain smoking his cigars through a gas mask.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Tsuru the navy vice-admiral, and Fujitora, but they've got plenty of time to be shown up.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Actually, who does manage to be serious, dignified, and conventionally badass-looking all the time in One Piece? The only characters I can think of immediately are Whitebeard and Sakazuki. Even Lucci has the pigeon ventriloquism thing, and Crocodile got pranked during the Baroque Works cover arc.

Fujitora does laugh that time when Luffy says he's grown to like him. The Gorosei so far but they have like ten pages worth of panels at most so it's a bit unfair to use them. Dragon also.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Doesn't Hina fit the bill?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Veskit posted:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

How in gods name do you remember that

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
No reason to judge someone knowing all about S&M Nami.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Tsuru the navy vice-admiral, and Fujitora, but they've got plenty of time to be shown up.

Apart from that very silly face Fujitora makes when confronted with Luffy's... unique logic, he's got the running gag of being a walking artillery battery who's blind as a bat. Guy's a constant source of slapstick injuries.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Veskit posted:

How in gods name do you remember that

EmmyOk only recently read one piece

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Matoi Ryuko posted:

EmmyOk only recently read one piece

I read it a long time ago and recently got a boxset of the start and have also been reading from the timeskip including the Sabo arc where that cover appears. Though full disclosure I have been meticulously maintaining a WomenActingShamefullyInOnePieceDThroughH.xl sheet.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

I would have said Smoker until Punk Hazard, and i think he still comes the closest, but then Oda had a lot of fun with him being oblivious enough to dress exactly the same in Tashigi's body and chain smoking his cigars through a gas mask.

smoker gets punked by luffy every single time they meet. he's also never actually won I fight either unless you count that time he helped law by distracting vergo but that's after the body swap anyway

remember when he follows luffy into crocodile's trap

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Veskit posted:

Hina speaks like a first grader.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

smoker gets punked by luffy every single time they meet. he's also never actually won I fight either unless you count that time he helped law by distracting vergo but that's after the body swap anyway

remember when he follows luffy into crocodile's trap

You can't really call Rogue Town and their small encounter at Marineford as Luffy punking him. I mean he still gets punked, just not by Luffy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's fair, tho the way I look at it is luffy getting away stained his perfect record of captures at logue town

I should have said that every time they meet, smoker gets clowned on in some way. dude just can't catch a break

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Veskit posted:

Kaku for sure

Kaku is great. He absolutely spent a ton of time reading all up on giraffes after he got his Zoan power, because man. His ridiculously impassioned speech about the limitless destructive power of the giraffe was so good. Even for all of the stuff that happens in Enies Lobby, that's one of the CP9 bits that stands out.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Smoker is great because he's super competent but only when he's off panel. Anytime he shows up it's a low point in his career.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

EGSunBro posted:

Smoker is great because he's super competent but only when he's off panel. Anytime he shows up it's a low point in his career.

He's Zenigata with superpowers.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

DeadBonesBrook posted:

[calmly, and not furious] i have to remind you, that zoro and perona are dating

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

EGSunBro posted:

Nah, he's always killing it unless Luffy is around.

Louguetown: Killing it, arresting pirates left and right, including the notorious Buggy The Clown. Then Luffy shows up and after a few minutes of being the T1000 to Luffy's Sara Connor, Dragon shows up and casually clowns on Smoker.

Alabasta: Introduced by Luffy clowning both him and Ace. Then he fights Ace to a standstill. Then he goes through Boroque Works like butter. Then he follows Luffy into a silly trap and is nothing but humiliated for the rest of the arc.

Marineford: Super competent untill Luffy starts fighting him and then Hancock briefly clowns him before everyone goes off to fight other people.

Time Skip/Fishman Island: Super competently cleaning up the entrance to the New World waiting for the Strawhats to show back up. Then Luffy dodges him and he follows a transmission to Punk Hazard.

Punk Hazard: Shows up and is doing well until Luffy shows up, and then it's right back to clown town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Luffy clowned on Bellamy, all those others are just "got beat" or "got blindsided momentarily"