Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Looks like the Oregon legislature isn't going to pass that tenant protections bill http://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2017/07/05/19141318/new-tenant-protections-are-likely-to-die-in-the-oregon-senate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

anthonypants posted:

Why do you believe zoning is a bogeyman? Zoning can be changed very easily for developers. It was only a few years ago that Seattle had to change the laws to allow extra small high-density apartments
While I'm personally okay with micro studios being built, let's face it they're kind of an edge case and not a real solution to making enough housing. What would be a significant part of a solution is upzoning SFH areas to allow for missing middle (duplex, triplex, townhome, etc.) type housing. Wanna guess what happened with the HALA recommendations that Mayor Murray initially supported to do that?

quote:

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray said Wednesday he’ll no longer seek to allow more types of housing in the city’s single-family zones, after all.
“The Council and I created the HALA process because our city is facing a housing affordability crisis. In the weeks since the HALA recommendations were released, sensationalized reporting by a few media outlets has created a significant distraction and derailed the conversation that we need to have on affordability and equity,” he said in a statement Wednesday.

Some, though not all, of the controversy around the mayor’s proposal for single-family zones focused on him and his 28-member volunteer task force framing the changes in terms of race.

In its report to Murray, the HALA Committee wrote: “Seattle’s zoning has roots in racial and class exclusion and remains among the largest obstacles to realizing the city’s goals for equity and affordability.”

That language and similar remarks by the mayor stirred debate over the relationship between the city’s single-family zones and ongoing racial segregation.

“We also must not be afraid to talk about the painful fact that parts of our city are still impacted by the intersection of income, race and housing,” Murray said in his statement Wednesday.
“Fundamentally, this is a conversation about building a Seattle that welcomes people from all walks of life — where working people, low-income families, seniors, young people and the kids of current residents all can live in our city,” the mayor said Wednesday.

But some homeowners raised concerns about the changes encouraging developers to tear down bungalows and thereby alter the character of neighborhoods.
Yup, neighborhood character is more important than people being able to afford their rent. And if it keeps the poors out of my block, hey, bonus!

Like, particularly when you factor in school district boundaries, keeping large minimum lot sizes is pretty obviously exclusionary. It's part of a culture of people keeping away the poors. I really don't see how anyone can consider themselves progressive and still support that.

quote:

Portland frequently waives developers from building parking lots, and as IM DAY DAY IRL mentioned earlier, neither the developers nor the city care if existing roads can deal with more people on them. But we can't do rent control because of zoning laws?
Getting rid of parking requirements is good. Portland pretty obviously does care about being able to support more people on the roads, they continually (albeit somewhat slowly) add more bike infrastructure, and IIRC the data shows that the increase in commuters Portland has seen the last several years has been almost entirely absorbed by the increase in bike mode share.

George posted:

Lack of parking should require developers to invest a meaningful portion of the money they squeeze in mass transit and bike infrastructure. This is a huge no-brainer.
Yeah I can agree with this. Instead of requiring car parking (which itself just encourages more cars on the road that, I agree, there isn't really space for), require things that support walking, biking, and transit. There's lots of random things you can lean on developers to do in that space.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 5, 2017

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

As an avid cyclist I will openly say that increased funding in bike infrastructure does very little to actually impact traffic congestion and is money better spent elsewhere.
This is an incredibly wrong, wrong statement. Bike infrastructure is INCREDIBLY cheap compared to car or good transit infrastructure, like at least an order of magnitude cheaper. For the cost of a single new rail line you could coat all of Seattle or Portland with protected bike lanes on every arterial, new bike paths, bike parking all over the place, probably bike escalators, etc. and still have money to burn. Supporting biking gives a city extremely good bang for the buck. Now obviously there are downsides to biking as well (more vulnerable to bad weather, not useful for long-distance commutes, not everyone can bike), but it's still a no-brainer because of its upsides and how cheap it is.

I used to work at Google in Mountain View, which has mostly standard American bad bike infrastructure with a few good multi-use trails in the area. Because Google goes all-out with supporting biking themselves with showers and bike parking at work, for those that live within 9 miles of the office, 21% bike to work. Granted, the bay area has great weather for biking and the south bay is largely flat, but that's still with mostly lovely infrastructure!

quote:

Funds for mass transit only work when the city actually wants to invest in a practical, sustainable, and expandable system. Investments like this make more sense when residents are likely to utilize public transit. If they continue to build $750,000 apartments in NoPo it's a pretty safe bet the new owners/tenants are unlikely to be spotted on a public bus or... ***GASP*** THE CRIME TRAIN. Force developers to incorporate logical parking solutions that meet a pre-determined criteria into their designs or refuse permits- funneling money into a blue sky public transit system will never provide enough financial (or political) support to effectively make an impact.
Honestly you just sound really out of touch if you think affluent people living in fancy apartments in major cities are too good for trains. I think you may be confusing those people with Trump voters living in suburbia.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Cicero posted:

Getting rid of parking requirements is good. Portland pretty obviously does care about being able to support more people on the roads, they continually (albeit somewhat slowly) add more bike infrastructure, and the data shows that the increase in commuters Portland has seen the last several years has been almost entirely absorbed by the increase in bike mode share.

Can you cite your transportation study? I don't believe this for a minute.

Portland (as a metro area) has been doing this for literal decades. They built the west side tunnel out to Beaverton and never achieved the ridership increase they forecasted for.

WES got built to Wilsonville and last I heard that isn't even economical with the fares they take.

So I don't believe for even a minute that the net influx in commuters is even marginally offset by the number of people now cycling to work.

How's that BIKETOWN project working out for Portland? About as well as San Francisco's?

I flipped through a couple studies I found, around 2013-2014 which seem to suggest bicycle ridership has increased city wide just under 3% YOY, pretty steadily, while net new commuters into Portland was around 15%.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah I remember reading something about it on bikeportland a while back, my google searches are failing me. I'm finding other articles indicating that bike commuting is growing much more quickly than the number of commuters for other modes, but not the exact claim I remember seeing.

edit: okay so I haven't been able to find that specific claim, but I did find this: https://bikeportland.org/2016/09/15/what-gas-prices-portland-bike-commuting-stays-strong-new-data-show-191430

So between the two you notice two things:

1. The number of people driving alone or with others is on a steady trend downwards.

2. The driving mode share appears to have been absorbed primarily by biking and working from home. The chart shows bike commuting rates increasing from 2% to 7%, that's 250% growth over 15 years.

edit2: as for my claim that bike infra is cheap, back in 2008 the city estimated the value of its entire bikeway network at $60 million, which is basically loose change by infrastructure standards. The value of the road network is probably what, 100x that?

Cicero fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 5, 2017

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

While googling found another interesting chart (Multnomah County = mostly Portland, population-wise, for those who don't know):

https://bikeportland.org/2016/05/17/even-in-suburban-oregon-drive-alone-trips-are-a-shrinking-share-of-new-commutes-183639

So while there was an increase in car commuters, more newcomers chose biking than driving, apparently (or existing people switched, I guess). Sad to see transit being flat, though this doesn't take into account the Orange line later opening.

Sorry for posting so much, it's just weird to see people who claim to be progressive support things like parking minimums or exclusionary zoning that are very much gently caress the poor-type policies. Like, in the places that are nicer to the poor, where it's easier for them to live in the developed world, do you see the car dominance and huge minimum lot sizes everywhere like in the US? Nah, because those things gently caress over the poor.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 5, 2017

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Cicero posted:

This is an incredibly wrong, wrong statement. Bike infrastructure is INCREDIBLY cheap compared to car or good transit infrastructure, like at least an order of magnitude cheaper. For the cost of a single new rail line you could coat all of Seattle or Portland with protected bike lanes on every arterial, new bike paths, bike parking all over the place, probably bike escalators, etc. and still have money to burn. Supporting biking gives a city extremely good bang for the buck. Now obviously there are downsides to biking as well (more vulnerable to bad weather, not useful for long-distance commutes, not everyone can bike), but it's still a no-brainer because of its upsides and how cheap it is.

I used to work at Google in Mountain View, which has mostly standard American bad bike infrastructure with a few good multi-use trails in the area. Because Google goes all-out with supporting biking themselves with showers and bike parking at work, for those that live within 9 miles of the office, 21% bike to work. Granted, the bay area has great weather for biking and the south bay is largely flat, but that's still with mostly lovely infrastructure!

I think this kind of employer support is necessary, and needs to be more widespread, in order to see an uptick in the number of folks commuter biking. I only work ~6 miles from home, but I don't bike because the route is hilly enough that I'll be gross and sweaty by the time I get to work. If I had a spot to clean up, I'd be 100% on the bike train. Dodging 40 minutes of traffic for a bit of exercise sounds amazing.

That's not to say I'm opposed to growing Portland's bike infrastructure, but there are barriers that more public infrastructure just can't overcome.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cicero posted:

While googling found another interesting chart (Multnomah County = mostly Portland, population-wise, for those who don't know):

https://bikeportland.org/2016/05/17/even-in-suburban-oregon-drive-alone-trips-are-a-shrinking-share-of-new-commutes-183639

So while there was an increase in car commuters, more newcomers chose biking than driving, apparently (or existing people switched, I guess). Sad to see transit being flat, though this doesn't take into account the Orange line later opening.
You're right that it doesn't have anything to do with the Orange line, but the article itself mentions that the Yellow, Red, and Green lines all opened during this period. And ridership (among new commuters) still declined.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Schwack posted:

I think this kind of employer support is necessary, and needs to be more widespread, in order to see an uptick in the number of folks commuter biking. I only work ~6 miles from home, but I don't bike because the route is hilly enough that I'll be gross and sweaty by the time I get to work. If I had a spot to clean up, I'd be 100% on the bike train. Dodging 40 minutes of traffic for a bit of exercise sounds amazing.

That's not to say I'm opposed to growing Portland's bike infrastructure, but there are barriers that more public infrastructure just can't overcome.
It'd be great to see more employer support, some rules around that would be welcome. Maybe something like Washington State's Commute Trip Reduction Law: http://www.kingcounty.gov/transportation/CommuteSolutions/About.aspx

That said, 5% absolute mode share increase over 15 years is already pretty good, and that's with mostly unprotected bike lanes. There's still plenty of low-hanging fruit there, I think.

Re: sweating, why not just get an electric assist bike? They're more expensive than a regular bike, but still I think you can get a decent one for $1000 or thereabouts, and they usually let you vary how much assistance you get, so you can decide how much exercise you want to do on any particular trip. We have an electric assist cargo bike and my wife loves it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cicero posted:

It's part of a culture of people keeping away the poors. I really don't see how anyone can consider themselves progressive and still support that.

Cicero posted:

Re: sweating, why not just get an electric assist bike? They're more expensive than a regular bike, but still I think you can get a decent one for $1000 or thereabouts, and they usually let you vary how much assistance you get, so you can decide how much exercise you want to do on any particular trip. We have an electric assist cargo bike and my wife loves it.
🤔

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Not sure why you're confused, an electric assist bike is still tremendously cheaper than a car, both to purchase and operate (heck, it's probably cheaper than a transit pass in the long run), and not everyone has significant hills involved in their commute. And said bikes are still steadily going down in price as electrified cars/bikes/skateboards/unicycles become more widespread.

Like, Schwack said he wanted to get out of traffic, which means he probably already drives a car, and if he does, spending $1000 on a bike is probably not out of his budget if it can become his primary commute method.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 6, 2017

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Cicero posted:

Not sure why you're confused, an electric assist bike is still tremendously cheaper than a car, both to purchase and operate (heck, it's probably cheaper than a transit pass in the long run), and not everyone has significant hills involved in their commute. And said bikes are still steadily going down in price as electrified cars/bikes/skateboards/unicycles become more widespread.

Like, Schwack said he wanted to get out of traffic, which means he probably already drives a car, and if he does, spending $1000 on a bike is probably not out of his budget if it can become his primary commute method.

I've looked into them, but the cost drives me away. I'm sure over the course of a year or so, it would end up paying for itself in terms of deferred vehicle maintenance/fuel/etc, but it's harder to justify the lump outlay. Especially when I'm riding a hand me down bike that cost me nothing.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cicero posted:

How many people in this thread have ever owned a primary vehicle that cost them less than $1000? Just the initial cost, not including maintenance, gas, time spent on labor, etc.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Are you asking me to guess or asking others to chime in? Personally, I have, at least if "commute vehicle = primary vehicle" and if bikes count as vehicles. Though I'm not sure of the point of that question.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 6, 2017

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

As an avid cyclist I will openly say that increased funding in bike infrastructure does very little to actually impact traffic congestion and is money better spent elsewhere. Funds for mass transit only work when the city actually wants to invest in a practical, sustainable, and expandable system. Investments like this make more sense when residents are likely to utilize public transit. If they continue to build $750,000 apartments in NoPo it's a pretty safe bet the new owners/tenants are unlikely to be spotted on a public bus or... ***GASP*** THE CRIME TRAIN. Force developers to incorporate logical parking solutions that meet a pre-determined criteria into their designs or refuse permits- funneling money into a blue sky public transit system will never provide enough financial (or political) support to effectively make an impact.

The point isn't that those tenants will magically start using public transport, bikes, et al. The point is that instead of being a net drain on a strained infrastructure they'll be supporting those who already do.

Like, your point is literally "don't invest in bikes and mass transit because the peanuts we invest in them now aren't giving us world-class accessibility". I definitely already noticed that, and the answer is never going to be more parking spaces.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

call to action posted:

Anyone who thinks a tax levied on non-citizens is automatically "racist" is a moron

I'd love to hear a defense of a 'foreign investment' tax vs. vacancy tax. I don't think it is possible without going into :911: territory though.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
wouldn't a non-citizen tax hit illegal immigrants pretty hard?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

GodFish posted:

wouldn't a non-citizen tax hit illegal immigrants pretty hard?

A foreign investment tax is supposed to target rich people from other countries(read: the Chinese!) that park money overseas in real estate.

As a workable tax it would be extremely easy to bypass(Mr. Chu hires American company to buy properties, no more tax, whoops), and bizarrely targeted. As there is no reason to target rich foreigners while leaving rich Americans that are doing the same thing alone.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
For all the parking problems my employer faces, they are absolute poo poo about biking to work.

Almost no where to lock your bike up, no facilities for showering that I know of and you're not allowed to bike inside the factory despite use of high viz jackets/lighting/bells despite all the crane guys using bikes to get around.

But they're so quick to tell us that we need to find new solutions. Christ.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ElCondemn posted:

Anyone who doesn't understand why this is racist is probably a racist.

It's not racist, sorry bud

Cicero posted:

Sorry for posting so much, it's just weird to see people who claim to be progressive support things like parking minimums or exclusionary zoning that are very much gently caress the poor-type policies. Like, in the places that are nicer to the poor, where it's easier for them to live in the developed world, do you see the car dominance and huge minimum lot sizes everywhere like in the US? Nah, because those things gently caress over the poor.

Everywhere I've ever lived, the poor thank god for cheap and available parking because the yuppies bought everything near work

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

call to action posted:

It's not racist, sorry bud

Peachfart posted:

I'd love to hear a defense of a 'foreign investment' tax vs. vacancy tax.

Still waiting.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Solkanar512 posted:

For all the parking problems my employer faces, they are absolute poo poo about biking to work.

Almost no where to lock your bike up, no facilities for showering that I know of and you're not allowed to bike inside the factory despite use of high viz jackets/lighting/bells despite all the crane guys using bikes to get around.

But they're so quick to tell us that we need to find new solutions. Christ.

Since I no longer work there, I'm free to poo poo talk to add on: their public transportation options blow, and there isn't even a bus from some of the major transit stations nearby. It's hard to find groups that are okay with virtual work for support functions. But they're quick to blame the city for capping their parking!

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Peachfart posted:

Still waiting.

"People that aren't American" isn't a race, it's sort of demeaning to people that experience racism to just classify literally anything as racism

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

call to action posted:

"People that aren't American" isn't a race, it's sort of demeaning to people that experience racism to just classify literally anything as racism

So you aren't defending the tax, just pulling the old "See, 'Insert Country Name Here' isn't a race, therefore I'm not racist QED" move.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Peachfart posted:

So you aren't defending the tax, just pulling the old "See, 'Insert Country Name Here' isn't a race, therefore I'm not racist QED" move.

That and he doesn't seem bothered by the "buy a company and purchase property through that entity" loophole.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Virtual work at that company is looked down on hardcore and I hate it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of vacancy taxes, Vancouver property owners 'panic' to rent as vacancy tax implemented

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

lol, oh no, the poor property owners have to actually rent out their properties

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

call to action posted:

Everywhere I've ever lived, the poor thank god for cheap and available parking because the yuppies bought everything near work
"Thank god the government subsidizes the interest on these massive student loans!"

Cicero fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 6, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
why not make it extremely expensive and inconvenient to own more than one residential property at a time, lowering demand and reducing prices.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Doorknob Slobber posted:

why not make it extremely expensive and inconvenient to own more than one residential property at a time, lowering demand and reducing prices.
This sounds like what Vancouver is doing, unless you want to include even places that are being rented out, which would be weird?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Cicero posted:

This sounds like what Vancouver is doing, unless you want to include even places that are being rented out, which would be weird?

Rentals should absolutely be included. gently caress anyone making a profit on housing.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cicero posted:

"Thank god the government subsidizes the interest on these massive student loans!"

That's cute, but these people didn't go to college and need to drive to work to live, because they can't afford to live near work.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

DevNull posted:

Rentals should absolutely be included. gently caress anyone making a profit on housing.

So either be able to afford to buy, or gently caress you because we don't want anyone to provide you housing? Who would provide rental housing if your goal is to make doing so unprofitable?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

therobit posted:

So either be able to afford to buy, or gently caress you because we don't want anyone to provide you housing? Who would provide rental housing if your goal is to make doing so unprofitable?
Why would profit be the only reason to own property?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

Why would profit be the only reason to own property?

Profit is the main driver of commercial and residential rental property ownership. If not for profit motive why would you invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in housing for strangers? I'll warrant you there is some nonprofit housing out there somewhere but it is scarce enough not to matter for this discussion.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
apants, have you ever owned property?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

coyo7e posted:

apants, have you ever owned property?

Well he did just get his driver's license and is still working on merging so....

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

call to action posted:

That's cute, but these people didn't go to college and need to drive to work to live, because they can't afford to live near work.
Way to miss the point: just like how government subsidizing interest on loans is better than unsubsidized loans but worse than not having loans, having free parking is better for the poor than not having it when you have to drive, but better still is being able use a cheaper form of transportation, like biking or public transit.

Lots of people in other countries live in a suburb of the city where they work, and yet still have decent transit that they can utilize. That America basically forces you to drive explains why transportation costs are an unusually large part of the household budget for Americans compared to most of our developed peers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

therobit posted:

Profit is the main driver of commercial and residential rental property ownership. If not for profit motive why would you invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in housing for strangers? I'll warrant you there is some nonprofit housing out there somewhere but it is scarce enough not to matter for this discussion.

It is scarce because landlords want it to be scarce. Most people want to build their communities up, but most of those people don't have a say because of how the system is designed. Killing off an "ineffective" program that you defunded is very effective republican strategy that liberals fall into as well. Seattle democrats were happy to spend $160 million on a police bunker, but that was all of a sudden unreasonable to spend on housing. But market rate housing will fix it they cry!