Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This was a real twist, when the game turned into an ecological recovery simulator. Didn't realize at first that this fishing game was training me for all the different animals I'd have to catch later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Leavemywife posted:

And then she jumps.

What's really fun is how in the Woosley translation this was framed as a fun activity, because no way in hell was Nintendo of America going to condone suicide being in a game. "Perked 'em right up!" indeed.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Explosionface posted:

What's really fun is how in the Woosley translation this was framed as a fun activity, because no way in hell was Nintendo of America going to condone suicide being in a game. "Perked 'em right up!" indeed.

Ironically, it didn't help. That just seemed like gallows humor sarcasm.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Getting Cid to recover is the better option, but having him die feels like it fits the storyline better

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

As far as I'm aware, this is only one of two scenes in the entire game where Olivia's theme plays (the other being the scene where she runs into Nathan the night before going to Thamasa).

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Robindaybird posted:

Getting Cid to recover is the better option, but having him die feels like it fits the storyline better

There's a sidequest in Chrono Trigger that's the same way. The first time I played it, I failed it legit (I knew what I needed to do, but I didn't figure out how to do it in time), and there was a wonderfully touching scene. The second time around, I succeeded, and I was disappointed that the replacement for that scene was five seconds long and without any emotional impact.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FredMSloniker posted:

There's a sidequest in Chrono Trigger that's the same way. The first time I played it, I failed it legit (I knew what I needed to do, but I didn't figure out how to do it in time), and there was a wonderfully touching scene. The second time around, I succeeded, and I was disappointed that the replacement for that scene was five seconds long and without any emotional impact.

Lara?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Yeah. I think I was using Left instead of L (or the other way around; it's been a while), or pressing A one too many times at the prompt, or something.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So is there a way to throw away the poo poo fish when you catch them, or are you stuck with them?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Glazius posted:

So is there a way to throw away the poo poo fish when you catch them, or are you stuck with them?

IIIRC you can't dump lovely fish since they're key items

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I was a teenager when I first played this game, it was the Woolsey translation, and I knew what they were talking about in this part. Gave suicide the proper respect too. I was and still am well-read, I'm not naïve. Knowing they had to tone it down like this makes me wish they had more respect for gamers' intelligence. Oh well, it's still a great story.

As others have said, Cid can live or die based on the fish. Which ones you catch is more an RNG than anything else, but I've heard the faster moving ones are healthier.

But wait, Olivia is dead now, right? What happens next? And might this have changed if Cid lived?

[is about to voice spoilers, but is drowned out by a chorus of hungry kitties]

Gotta feed my cats, I guess. Maybe later we will find out the answers to the above questions.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

Ugh. This is the worst Cid ever.

NEW CHALLENGERS APPEAR!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
You're stuck with whatever fish you catch, that's right. Optimally, you're catching the best fish, but they spawn randomly in regards to what kind of fish will be there.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
V is the worst Cid because he's the one who actually started loving everything up. This Cid did too, but he did it under orders. Cid V did it of his own accord.

IV Cid is the best and anyone who disagrees will be assaulted with a Power Point presentation.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

V is the worst Cid because he's the one who actually started loving everything up. This Cid did too, but he did it under orders. Cid V did it of his own accord.

IV Cid is the best and anyone who disagrees will be assaulted with a Power Point presentation.

Then you'd better sit down, shut up and get your goddamned slides.

Nah, Cid, the avatar of :black101: is the best.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Hell yeah, Final Fantasy 7 Cid is the best Cid.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I like FF7 Cid best too. Spearing guys, lighting dynamite with a cigar and tossing it, piloting his airship and having it make bombing runs as an ultimate attack, dating a hot chick named Shera- no way that can be topped. As for worst Cid, I haven't played all the FF games and there's some in which I have zero interest, so I honestly can't say. All the candidates Kheldarn and Leave propose are pretty bad though.

:(

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I agree on IV Cid, but I'm curious about the PowerPoint presentation.

Hot take: VII did nothing best

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

To be fair to V Cid dude did try to stop his fuckup once he realized the repercussions but the kingdom cared way too much about short-term prosperity.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I wouldn't say 6 Cid is the worst....the two pictures posted are FAR worse.

Also, the best Cid is THUNDER GOD CID (FFT), Thank you very much (though 4 is a very close one with 7 as a distant third).

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 6, 2017

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Dr. Cid was easily the high point of FF12. That may be damning with faint praise, but still.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Of all the Cids I've seen, the FF6 version certainly looks the worst.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Worst Cid is Cid of the Lufaine, if only because he's barely a character at all.

We really know nothing about him.... unless you count the Dissidia version, in which case he's still the worst.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Cid from FFXIV is my favorite so far.

Years ago, when I went through this game the first time, I totally didn't get the fish mini game. I fed that man every fish I encountered from Sonic to Floating Upside-down and pooping. Too much poop must have gotten to his system, but it lead to an important character moment that stayed with me for years.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I remember watching my uncle play this way back in the day, he had much of the same reaction at Cid's death. "Wait we forgot to cook those fish didn't we? Whoops. There was a stove right there."

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Forty Six: A Light In The Darkness

Welcome back. Last time, on Final Fantasy VI Advance, Olivia attempted suicide. We're going to see how that went, so let's roll.

Well, still could have been successful.

Hey, looks like that bird has found some good eatin'.

Okay, let's be serious for a caption. Suicide really isn't a joking matter, even if I'm poking fun at it. If you, or someone you know, is contemplating suicide, call the hotline at 1-800-273-8255. Things can always get better; don't go for a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

That's a bird, Olivia. I don't think it really gives a poo poo about you.

I recognize that look and you're right; at least it's not fish.

The stylish accessory you've been looking for!?

Well, looks like she's lost her mind.

Even the bird isn't putting up with her crazy rear end.

Maybe everyone else is, too!

Never mind that the world ended, maybe our specific group of people survived!

So, it is possible to save Cid. It's not that difficult, either, but does involve a bit of luck in getting the good fish to spawn.

If he survives, he tells you pretty much this, and then we continue on to the next part of the game.

So, then, why did I let Cid die? Because, honestly, I didn't do much to save him.

I let Cid die because I think the story flows better that way. Without that, we wouldn't have found the bird with Nathan's bandanna, we wouldn't have had the dramatic jumping scene, and we wouldn't have seen Olivia hit the edge of despair.

Cid's death lends narrative flow to the story and makes Olivia's journey off the island feel more meaningful.

In the other version, Olivia's motivation is, "I need to find my friends!" which is still good and noble. But here and now, the man who took care of her for a year, not knowing if she would ever wake up, serves as another part of her motivation. Not only is she seeking out her friends, but she's trying to do right by the man that she couldn't save, despite him being her savior.

So she's going to keep her head up, grit those teeth, and she's going to set sail to see how much of the world is left.

As it turns out, Cid and Liv weren't all that far from civilization.

She even washes up not too far from a town!

So let's go get her a burger and see what we can find out about who all is left.

Albrook? It's been a minute since we were around here.

Honestly? No.

So, yeah, Kefka wasn't obliterated by the Warring Triad; quite the opposite. Kefka has become some sort of divine mockery, ruling over the world.

Where the hell did he go!?

Alright, we're not too far off from another party member! Not that Olivia is too badly off at the moment; she has Osmose and all of the -ara spells, so she's got some offensive capabilities. Even so, having more people around cannot be a bad thing.

Not only is Kefka sitting in a tower, he's also capable of using magic laser beams to fry whatever he feels like at any time. Fantastic.

So, there's at least ten things I'm going to kick the poo poo out of before we're done here.

The shops hold nothing new, gear-wise, but there is a bit of interest in talking to a dude while we're here.

It's now a portrait of a dead guy. In fact, if I smashed a watermelon against the sidewalk, I, too, would technically have an artistic depiction of what Gestahl looks like.

I'm now thinking of that picture of the two leads of Twilight, but with Blade 'shopped into the background.

*Jots down in notepad*

Alright, I'll look him up later.

Gonna go get me a fuckin' art.

Just walk up to that Owzer dude and be like, "One art, please."

Uh-huh.

This will be problematic. The world's only airship got wrecked when the world ended.

Though, that does give us hope that we're going to get another flying ship.

Crusader is one of the final Espers we're going to get. He teaches some badass magic, but that's quite a ways off.

This refers to the bonus boss of the game, and I'll be tackling his rear end, too. But enough of that; let's keep quiet about him. :ssh:

Okay. I'll just--

Oh, you're still talking.

Which is where we're going next!

This is Kefka's Tower, just north of Albrook. If you look at our minimap, you'll see that the continents have changed significantly

[timg]https://lpix.org/2857351/1.jpg][/timg]

This map is of the World of Balance, the first half of the game.

This map is what we're working with from now on; certain area names were blacked out to prevent spoilers and stuff, but as you can see, the world got good and hosed up when Kefka took over.

That's a detail that I think really helps hammer home just how badly Kefka's takeover damaged the planet. Destroying a few towns here and there, wiping out a bunch of people, those are things we can hear about and just internalize. Changing up the game map, though? That's something that has a more real impact on the player; we were just flying around that map all willy-nilly, having a decent idea of where everything was. Now, the continents themselves have moved, locations are different; it leaves a stronger impression, because it has a more tangible connection to us, the player.

Y'know, for having a crazy loving clown ruling the world, the two towns we've been to haven't looked end-of-the-world-terrible.

Then again, he did change geography itself. I wonder if the demand for mapmakers went up after Kefka became a god.

...Cult of Kefka? Jesus Christ.

Maybe we'll get a sidequest to deliver some Flavor Aid over there.

That's right, it wasn't Kool-Aid.

Why are we running toward the flashing light of death?

Yeah, whatever.

I'm not worried about that poo poo.

Oh, so now it's up to me to do something.

And he blasted one house? Who gives a poo poo?

Yeah, still not seeing why this is an issue. Let the house fall down, it'll be fine.

Ugh. Goddamn son of a--

:swoon:

:allears:

Alright, so we have six minutes to get in, rescue the child, and get out. If we run out of time, the house collapses not only on the boy trapped inside, but on Olivia and Leave.

There are random encounters in here, but nothing too terrible.

The Nightwalker is an undead enemy, which means its weak to Fire and Holy. The Zokka is weak against Water, which we don't have a good supply of right now, unless we summon Bismarck.

They have very low HP, with the Nightwalker having just 265 and the Zokka having 305. They're not very strong because, more than likely, you're going to have just Olivia here.

Attack the Zokka with anything and it counters with Rock.

So, the advice for having something to render you immune to Petrify is good advice. Even if it is entirely possible to get through this house without encountering the Zokka once.

However, just to be on the safe side, Olivia throws on the Ribbon.

There's some treasure scattered in the house, and some boxes are just monsters, but I'll be just grabbing the treasure, thank you.

This is what I did for most of the fights here. The Scorpion starts the fight by using Lethal Stinger, which inflicts Doom; they follow their Stinger with a normal attack and always start with it, all three of them. They can deal some decent damage and since Olivia is alone, you can get unlucky and be beaten to death, despite them only having 290 HP.

Whoop-dee-do.

There's a monster in that box.

New weapon in this box, though.

While this adds some Evasion, it lowers our Magic. It cannot deal more damage than max HP minus current HP, because it steals HP, and you can't heal yourself for more than your max. Or something. Still, while a neat idea, we'd need a shitload more HP and to have very little of it to actually make use of this.

There are chests on either side here, both containing monsters.

Instead, we'll just grab the trapped kid and get ready to scoot.

On our way out, we snag the other two treasures. Nothing fantastic, but I won't turn down stuff like that. You never know when it'll come in handy.

Well, excuuuuse me.

Uh, Leave, I'm not sure--

Oh, there it goes.

Are you ready to hear some loving metal poo poo?

:black101:

In all fairness, that's not unreasonable to believe.

Finding everyone is going to take a little while, Olivia.

But, Leave is on-board already, mostly because it's going to involve punching Kefka in the loving face really, really hard.

I wish I had some comforting words here, but, uh, I got nothin'. The world has gone to poo poo and Kefka blew up your house, specifically. I'm not sure what I could say here to make it any better.

Humbaba? That's one of the monsters that was released when the world went kablooey.

Alright, so we'll hit Mobliz, then pop over to Nikeah.

He was so scared, he put himself in the corner.

In an ironic twist, this man's name is actually Baby.

If he keeps that up, he's going to quickly run out of people to rule. Then again, that might be thinking too far forward for Kefka.

So, not only did Kefka blow up that town, but it has some ancient monster running around it, too?

:smith:

Well, let's head to Mobliz. How bad can it be?

If you will, take a look at the mini-map. We were told that Mobliz was far to the east. If you're not sure where we are, we're the red dot.

Yeah, they're not loving around when it comes to how far off Mobliz is.

However, we're taking a break here. Next time, we'll tool around Mobliz and see what's happening.

Stay tuned!

Leave fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 8, 2017

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The most awkward thing about letting Cid live is he just... stays there, alone, and presumably at the edge of health and trying to avoid catching poisonous fish forever.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

counterfeitsaint posted:

The most awkward thing about letting Cid live is he just... stays there, alone, and presumably at the edge of health and trying to avoid catching poisonous fish forever.

It also creates something of a plot hole later on.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Admittedly that is some mighty faith Celes had in everyone being alive, given the airship fell apart and most of those guys took an almost-Gestahl drop to the ground

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The World of Ruin experience is not complete without the overworld map music imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fKgnqFQ81o

No other piece of videogame music has ever communicated "poo poo is so hosed you may as well just kill yourself now" as well as this.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
To this day I run that dirge through my head when the mood is appropriate.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Leavemywife posted:

Well, looks like she's lost her mind.

I remember the SNES translation being more shouty. I don't know if they changed the actual text or if it's just the font. Like, she jumps off the cliff, and then she starts shouting at the bird to tell her what it knows like she expects an answer. She comes off as completely unhinged, which adds to the emotional weight of the scene.

quote:

This map is what we're working with from now on; certain area names were blacked out to prevent spoilers and stuff, but as you can see, the world got good and hosed up when Kefka took over.

Look at the entire center right of the map. Now you know why the Serpent Trench has its name.

That map's release probably spoiled most people that played this game, but imagine if this came out and no one knew the twist. (Well okay, there's a lot of empty slots and crap on menu screens to suggest there's more to the game, but there's only so much you can do.)

Your party goes through the end-game dungeon to save the world, but then they fail. The world's already been destroyed, so what do you do now? How do you pick up the pieces when the bad guy's won and people accept this is how things are?

This part of the story is why FF6 is one of my favorite games.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Glad Olivia's ok. I continue to enjoy the epic journey.

Must note- if you do save Cid, you still leave him alone on the island to very possibly die later. He doesn't of course, but that too helps the story make more sense if he dies. There's only one advantage besides good feelings to leaving him alive and spoilers prevent me from talking about it for some time.

Oh, and there are monsters on the Solitary Island Leave didn't show. Lakitu has taken note in between exchanging blows with Ultros. The next Missed Monsters update will be as soon as we have a full party again. I felt the last one was too short but I had to do it at that milestone.

I think I'd like Gallagher's portrait of the Emperor better than the game artist's. It's probably more to my artistic tastes. :D

Bonus boss? Oh boy... that's all I'm going to say. The bonus bosses in other games have kicked my rear end enough times for me to fear them much. This is surely no different.

Feels like this update is longer than usual. Kudos.

Kefka is a crazy loving clown ruling the world, but he's more the absentee menace type of ruler than the sort that who will actively mess things up and change them on a regular basis. For that kind of crazy clown ruling the world, see Emperor Joker.

Cult of Kefka? That does not sound like a smart religion. Not surprised it happened in this messed up world but still....

I'll include the box monsters in the Lakitu update. I don't blame Leave for running from them and most of the fights in the Collapsing House, even if my Olivia is usually able to One-Amazon-Army her way through every fight in here when I play this level. :) No must-have loot in the monster chests, thankfully, though I think there is at least one anti-Petrify relic if you don't have one. They sell them in the Tzen Relic shop too.

So happy they didn't change Leave's "I'm back" line. Best line in the game right there.

I personally like to think Han was tossing out parachutes as the Blackjack airship fell apart and Leave tossed his to Remain, then said "No thanks, I'm good." Then he either tanked the fall or did some sick martial arts flips on the way down and landed safely. Maybe he even caught the parachute and then realized Olivia was without one- she fell too soon and fainted- and caught her on the way down, slipped his on her unconscious body and pulled the cord, then let go of her and did his martial arts flips. That's how he knew for sure she survived and was looking for her.

Meanwhile the others survived in their own ways. Everyone is alive, right?

Ditto, Kevos. :)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

achtungnight posted:

I personally like to think Han was tossing out parachutes as the Blackjack airship fell apart and Leave tossed his to Remain, then said "No thanks, I'm good." Then he either tanked the fall or did some sick martial arts flips on the way down and landed safely. Maybe he even caught the parachute and then realized Olivia was without one- she fell too soon and fainted- and caught her on the way down, slipped his on her unconscious body and pulled the cord, then let go of her and did his martial arts flips. That's how he knew for sure she survived and was looking for her.

My own personal take is that he fell past a flying monster or Imperial Air Force remnant or something and Suplexed it down to safety.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

He fell to the bottom of the ocean, and pulled the entire Serpent's Trench up so he could get to the surface faster.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

W.T. Fits posted:

My own personal take is that he fell past a flying monster or Imperial Air Force remnant or something and Suplexed it down to safety.

I will accept no other explanation

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Robindaybird posted:

I will accept no other explanation

I would say this, but

Regalingualius posted:

He fell to the bottom of the ocean, and pulled the entire Serpent's Trench up so he could get to the surface faster.

this is way too believable.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Why not both? He could have Suplexed a monster but fallen in the ocean, not to earth. And it happened to be in the general vicinity of the Serpent Trench...

For added badass points, he still put a parachute on Olivia on the way down and threw one to Remain before falling as well.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Did the oceans rise or did Kefka just start blasting mountains because of their presumptuous tallness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Glazius posted:

Did the oceans rise or did Kefka just start blasting mountains because of their presumptuous tallness?

A little bit of column A, a little bit of column B, with a heaping side order of "pulling the Serpent Trench from the bottom of the ocean for purposes of ???"

• Locked thread