Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Kakesu posted:

Low level dungeons are actually great XP if you get them for roulette as long as you equip all of your +XP gear, since it works on the bonus you get at the end. I've gotten like half a level from TTD because I was wearing Friendship Circlet and the new pre-order earrings from SB.

You don't have the Brand New Ring too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I thought those only applied to combat xp

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Is materia like Wind Resistance +12 simply for comedy?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Shy posted:

Is materia like Wind Resistance +12 simply for comedy?

it's combination 1.0 leftover and way to sometimes give you nothing when you convert gear

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

Vadoc posted:

You don't have the Brand New Ring too?

No, I never bothered to go through the Hall of Novice when it was released. I probably should, but :effort:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Thundarr posted:

For whatever reason I don't expect FF7 to show up as a tier in Omega though.

We may still get an FF7 dungeon. There's an Imperial ship (submarine?) labeled on the southeast of the Yanxia map, and going to scavenge a scuttled Garlean submarine full of more of their experiments would be an awesome way to have a tribute to the Gelnika.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Kakesu posted:

No, I never bothered to go through the Hall of Novice when it was released. I probably should, but :effort:

If you're leveling anything 15-30 you really should, you're wasting more time by not having it. Novice scenarios are trivial and take minutes.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

it's combination 1.0 leftover and way to sometimes give you nothing when you convert gear

I mean, it's VI. They added +12 elemental resistance for stormblood! I wonder if there's a savage encounter where ultra-tryhard raiders cheat the system by negating a ton of damage.

Speaking of. What can I meld on WHM gear? I want spell speed on everything but can't, for example omega earrings won't let me because it already has spell speed. Critical strike maybe?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Minrad posted:

We may still get an FF7 dungeon. There's an Imperial ship (submarine?) labeled on the southeast of the Yanxia map, and going to scavenge a scuttled Garlean submarine full of more of their experiments would be an awesome way to have a tribute to the Gelnika.

Only if you defeat the penultimate boss and it plays the victory music and generates an exit portal....which immediately warps you outside into a certain big green goliath's arena.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Rainuwastaken posted:

Only if you defeat the penultimate boss and it plays the victory music and generates an exit portal....which immediately warps you outside into a certain big green goliath's arena.

what better enemy to model the first standalone savage content after than the rear end in a top hat weapons? :getin:

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Shy posted:

I mean, it's VI. They added +12 elemental resistance for stormblood! I wonder if there's a savage encounter where ultra-tryhard raiders cheat the system by negating a ton of damage.

Speaking of. What can I meld on WHM gear? I want spell speed on everything but can't, for example omega earrings won't let me because it already has spell speed. Critical strike maybe?

(Mind >) Crit chance > spell speed >>>> anything else

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Sleeve Draw went from "fun gimmick" to "insanely busted tool for ast consistency" as soon as I realized it doesn't over-write your currently drawn/spread/etc cards. Got a balance on spread and can't find spire or ewer? gently caress it, sleeve draw for two chances at 50% aoe. Or vice versa, got aoe prepped but can't find balance? Roll the dice with sleeve draw for two more attempts after you finish your draw/redraw. Getting a minor arcana every time is just a useful bonus.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Shy posted:

Even if you maxed out elemental resistance with grade 6s and pentamelded grade 5s, you'd probably only end up with like 10% damage reduction.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Waci posted:

(Mind >) Crit chance > spell speed >>>> anything else

If I remember correctly mind too has some limitations for where you can meld it?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Shy posted:

If I remember correctly mind too has some limitations for where you can meld it?

You can't ever meld it on healer gear because all healer gear has it maxed out already

The main point of mentioning it was presumably to say that increasing your ilvl matters more than optimizing substats 99% of the time

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Shy posted:

Take all your Elemental and Attribute Materia to Mutamix at The Bonfire in Central Thanalan, you can transmute 5 materia in to a random new one. And if you're using all of the same tier, there's a not insignificant chance of the new materia being a tier higher. I made a fortune off this when Materia V was introduced(I was also seeding the materia with Culinarian desynth which finally proved useful,) and my buddy did it for VI before expert roulettes and hunts started bringing prices down.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 6, 2017

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

You can't ever meld it on healer gear because all healer gear has it maxed out already

The main point of mentioning it was presumably to say that increasing your ilvl matters more than optimizing substats 99% of the time

Wait if I can't meld mind on anything why does it exist?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Shy posted:

PLDs melding for sweet Clemency boosts? :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mostly a holdover from 1.0, but also you can meld it onto NQ crafted gear, which does not have maxed mainstats, if you want to.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
They should really just scuttle the resistance materia.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Shy posted:

To gum up materia acquisition mostly

I guess a summoner could meld mind to make physic slightly less crappy if they really wanted to?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
there was that one accuracy/crit crafted tank ring or whatever, which was a defensible option on scholars i think

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Newly to Stormblood, all level 51-59 and 61-69 dungeons give you a piece of gear you can equip and don't already have from that dungeon (automatically added to your inventory when the boss dies), so go ahead and hit the equip best button whenever you finish a levelling dungeon just in case.

I was super frustrated that I wasn't getting ANY of healing drops. Clicked equip best and suddenly in a full set of dungeon 1 gear.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

You can feed garbo materia to Mutamix and he'll occasionally cook you up a useful one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Minrad posted:

Gelnika would be amazing.

Maybe Its just me, but Castrum Abania gave me some serious FF8 D-District Prison vibes, maybe the catwalks over the desert?

And in Ala Mhigo the final boss kinda reminded me of the Guard Scorpion from FF7 Mako Reactor bombing mission.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Don't you have to manually put this stuff in your Armory before auto-equip will catch it?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Bleu posted:

You can feed garbo materia to Mutamix and he'll occasionally cook you up a useful one.

Eh I Just vendor this trash.
Anybody on excal needs dexterity vi? I'll mail it to you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Clarste posted:

Don't you have to manually put this stuff in your Armory before auto-equip will catch it?

Yes, but loot will go to your armory if it isn't full.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Zaphod42 posted:

Gelnika would be amazing.

Maybe Its just me, but Castrum Abania gave me some serious FF8 D-District Prison vibes, maybe the catwalks over the desert?

And in Ala Mhigo the final boss kinda reminded me of the Guard Scorpion from FF7 Mako Reactor bombing mission.

Did you mean the first boss? Because the first boss is straight-up the Guard Scorpion, where Zenos... isn't.

Also Castrum Abania is almost entirely the FF6 Magitek Research Facility, but I can see your idea. A little bit of the FF7 Gold Saucer prison too maybe?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes, but loot will go to your armory if it isn't full.

It doesn't for me. Maybe that's a setting I changed at some point in the distant past?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Zaphod42 posted:

First boss? It's supposed to, and one of the NPCs even tells you to attack while its tail is up, just like Barret's tutorial.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Shy posted:

Eh I Just vendor this trash.
Anybody on excal needs dexterity vi? I'll mail it to you.

Sure, feel free to mail me all the Dex VI Materias you want, Galaga Galaxian in game :v:. They're worth ~50k each on the marketboard.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Shy posted:

IIRC normal quality crafted gear does not have maxed mainstat so you can actually meld mind onto that. Of course the question then becomes "why are you melding onto nq gear?".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Clarste posted:

It doesn't for me. Maybe that's a setting I changed at some point in the distant past?

Yeah, there's an option for whether gear goes into your armory or inventory when you acquire it. It goes to your armory by default.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

Did you mean the first boss? Because the first boss is straight-up the Guard Scorpion, where Zenos... isn't.

Also Castrum Abania is almost entirely the FF6 Magitek Research Facility, but I can see your idea. A little bit of the FF7 Gold Saucer prison too maybe?

Yep first boss :v:

Yeah I can see the Magitek Facility now that you mention it, but my brain doesn't jump from 3D to 2D as easily as when I recognize a similar 3D design.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I'm just a newbie 3 years late to the 2.0 main story but wtf was that whole Titan preparation questline that goes for like 5 levels.

1. Yo Titan is coming back and we need to prep to beat him.
2. OK go talk to this guy so we know how to beat him, by the way the Maelstrom will totally support you in your operation.
3. Oh that guy was a total fraud who wastes your time and makes you fight a rock. Try these others guys.
4. Help five weirdos make food or something so you can learn about Titan
5. Make food for all the weirdos and have a party.
6. Oh, all you need to do was get Y'Shtola to attune to that aetheryte over there. Maelstrom? Yeah I guess they protect Y'Shtola offscreen while she's attuning or something.
7. Yeah go fight titan with three buddies, it's cool. No, us weirdos won't help you.
8. Titan defeated.

what the hell was the point of any of that

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Wasting time, mostly. It's literally the worst stretch of the game. :v:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

bewilderment posted:

I'm just a newbie 3 years late to the 2.0 main story but wtf was that whole Titan preparation questline that goes for like 5 levels.

2. OK go talk to this guy so we know how to beat him, by the way the Maelstrom will totally support you in your operation.
3. Oh that guy was a total fraud who wastes your time and makes you fight a rock. Try these others guys.
6. Oh, all you need to do was get Y'Shtola to attune to that aetheryte over there. Maelstrom? Yeah I guess they protect Y'Shtola offscreen while she's attuning or something.
7. Yeah go fight titan with three buddies, it's cool. No, us weirdos won't help you.
8. Titan defeated.

the guy who makes you fight a rock is epic, actually

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I regret cutscene skipping in heavensward but not in arr even a little bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

bewilderment posted:

8. Titan defeated.

It's about the importance of food buffs.