Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Pendent posted:

If you're getting Death Company in combat against something and not requiring a literal bucket of dice for your attacks you're doing something wrong.

Blood Angels have way better options for killing hard targets- Sanguinary Guard, TH/SS Terminators. Company Veterans with JP are incredibly flexible and can do pretty much whatever you need. Death Company should be focusing on what they're good at and taking a pretty light loadout to do it- 10 man squad mostly armed with bolters and chainswords, throw a few power weapons in and maybe a thunder hammer. Use them as a fairly hard hitting, mobile, expendable squad that your opponent has to react to.

Edit: I really want to go back to my original point about graphs with expected damage output etc not being all that useful. This is a squad of dudes who are going to die. That is literally their entire point, both in the fluff and on the tabletop. They need to be built with that expectation kept firmly in mind.

Basically. Two Chainswords each is going to be my go-to Death Company squad, with maybe the sergeant having a Thunder Hammer (and a Chainsword). Roll a shitload of dice on the charge (what, five attacks each?), plus the jump pack mortal wounds for charging. It won't kill tanks with any kind of reliability, but it'll do enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Black_Nexus posted:

What base sizes are the assassins supposed to be on? I have a bunch of old metal ones and I am not paying $37 per for new ones lol

They're legal on whatever base they came with.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

HardCoil posted:

I finally got around to playing a test game yesterday, and the game ground to a screeching halt immediately. How the hell does larger cover pieces work? The rulebook talks about being "on" or "within" cover pieces, but what about something like a house?

I understand barricades:

Green is in cover from red and get a +1 to their save - fine.

But a house or other large object, taller than any of the models?

As we read the rulebook, that huge thing is basically ignored. If it had been a statue of the exact same dimensions though, everybody within 3" would gain cover for some weird reason.

Is this really correct? We gave a +1 save to the green guys in the image.

My old grog brain has a really hard time with this level of abstraction. You could make up even more insane examples, with two units on each side of huge buildings with a small alley allowing one of the red guys to see one of the green guys.

Also, how do you count rapid fire range? Is it the same as shooting, as in - if one guy is with in half range of one guy from the target unit, everybody gets to rapid fire?

:corsair:

In this case 3 models of the red unit can see a model in the green unit and fire.

RAW the green unit does not get any cover and the owner of the green unit can allocate wounds to any one of the models in the green unit. Terrain and cover is pretty hosed in 8th.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

Basically. Two Chainswords each is going to be my go-to Death Company squad, with maybe the sergeant having a Thunder Hammer (and a Chainsword). Roll a shitload of dice on the charge (what, five attacks each?), plus the jump pack mortal wounds for charging. It won't kill tanks with any kind of reliability, but it'll do enough.

Strobe posted:

plus the jump pack mortal wounds for charging.

What. :stare:

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

I thought it was just the Intercessors, but I guess some of the other jump pack troops get to a 1 in 6 chance of causing Mortal Wounds on the charge, to represent their crazy falling from the sky antics.

EDIT: Doesn't seem like Death Company have that rule though.

Xarlaxas fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 6, 2017

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fetterkey posted:

Index Sisters continue their proud tradition of doing the "mech Marine" thing better than actual Marines do, and St. Celestine continues her personal tradition of being absolutely crazily OP. However, the models are very expensive, making it hard to actually make an army, and people's weird blind spots mean the Sisters probably won't be seen that commonly, even though they're in fact very strong.

Sisters get you crusaders, and crusaders are 15 point storm shields with power swords that can either a) reroll their to hit when charging/getting charged or b) have the potential to get 2 rounds of CC on your turn. You can also bring back models and a priest can hide out in them with a plasma gun or a cc weapon and give them 2 attacks base. They are pretty decent for the price.

EDIT: Also, salty about the scything talons versus chain swords FAQs rulings.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Xarlaxas posted:

I thought it was just the Intercessors, but I guess some of the other jump pack troops get to a 1 in 6 chance of causing Mortal Wounds on the charge, to represent their crazy falling from the sky antics.
As far as I'm aware, it's only the Inceptors. At least for marines, that is.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Strobe posted:

I wouldn't build any with the double chainswords until the codex comes out. I'd give it 50/50 shot that survives the real book.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

HardCoil posted:

Im referring to both cover save and the possiblity to kill models totally obscured by terrain. Notice it says "unit" and not "model" in 3.2. That's the problem. You can target the unit if one model is visible. So the one guy poking out dooms the squad

...and then you apply the best case result. ONE guys has to see ONE enemy and then everybody gets to kill everybody.

This doesn't make sense when compared to things like rapid fire and mortal wounds though. If this was GW's intention, it's a retarded rule that can't possibly have a believable explanation as to why this is the case.

So one model poking out around a corner, makes the rest of a 100% obscured unit able to take wounds, but only models in a unit that reach rapid fire range when shooting at a 0% obscured enemy unit can get the bonus?

Why would you be able to hurt enemies you can't see, but not get the rapid fire bonus on 100% of the enemy unit not obscured at all?

What I'm getting at is, if rapid fire range is model-to-model distance dependent, (as opposed to unit-to-unit) why wouldn't this also apply to wounding visible models? Moreover, if wounds from regular attacks don't spill over (4.5) like mortal wounds do, why would the one dude poking out doom the entire squad?

I feel like GW pushing players to be extremely pedantic with "rules as read" and interpretation of comma placements for 20 years, has come to bite them in the rear end now that everything is "simpler".

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

HardCoil posted:

Im referring to both cover save and the possiblity to kill models totally obscured by terrain. Notice it says "unit" and not "model" in 3.2. That's the problem. You can target the unit if one model is visible. So the one guy poking out dooms the squad

Yes, and then you apply the best case result. ONE guys has to see ONE enemy and then everybody gets to kill everybody.

Still doesn't help with large boxes. Some models will be 100% obscured and some 0%. As long is one is less than 50%, it's open season.

I mean yeah, but just pile all your guys on top of each other. In that graphic posted earlier the green dots could be in base to base contact with one another to maximize the terrain. There's no blast templates anymore.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

This doesn't make sense when compared to things like rapid fire and mortal wounds though. If this was GW's intention, it's a retarded rule that can't possibly have a believable explanation as to why this is the case.

So one model poking out around a corner, makes the rest of a 100% obscured unit able to take wounds, but only models in a unit that reach rapid fire range when shooting at a 0% obscured enemy unit can get the bonus?

Why would you be able to hurt enemies you can't see, but not get the rapid fire bonus on 100% of the enemy unit not obscured at all?

What I'm getting at is, if rapid fire range is model-to-model distance dependent, (as opposed to unit-to-unit) why wouldn't this also apply to wounding visible models? Moreover, if wounds from regular attacks don't spill over (4.5) like mortal wounds do, why would the one dude poking out doom the entire squad?

I feel like GW pushing players to be extremely pedantic with "rules as read" and interpretation of comma placements for 20 years, has come to bite them in the rear end now that everything is "simpler".

This is the abstraction GW has chosen. Soldiers rushing up to fill gaps in the line, moving around, etc. The models are static representatives of mobile soldiers.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

Those are the ones! Got Intercessors and Inceptors mixed up. :downs:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
People are going loving bananas about the codex releases being so soon and having wasted money on the index. I thought it was really loving clear that this would happen and that the index is still going to be massively useful as a resource... loving hams.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Xarlaxas posted:

Those are the ones! Got Intercessors and Inceptors mixed up. :downs:
I knew what you meant, the names get confusing. I was more saying that no other jump units have that ability, at least for space marines. I don't know the other armies well enough to say it more definitively. :v:

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I wouldn't build any with the double chainswords until the codex comes out. I'd give it 50/50 shot that survives the real book.
Adding to this, Death Company can't take dual chainswords. Their options are much more limited than, say, vanguard who actually can do that.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I'm pretty sure that like nobody in this thread actually purchased the indices because they were already available as leaks like two weeks before the actual release lol

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

goose willis posted:

I'm pretty sure that like nobody in this thread actually purchased the indices because they were already available as leaks like two weeks before the actual release lol

I bought them, it's a lot more convenient than looking at leaks on my tablet. Going to see if I can sell my index to some Blood Angels or Space Wolves player that won't get a codex for another year.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

goose willis posted:

I bought imperium 1 and chaos 1 because I'm an idiot that buys thing, but I still look forward to the fluff codex releases.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

I knew what you meant, the names get confusing. I was more saying that no other jump units have that ability, at least for space marines. I don't know the other armies well enough to say it more definitively. :v:

Quick text search doesn't show any other units in other indices/the Imperium 1 index with the "Crushing Charge" rule, not that it doesn't mean that they have that ability with another name. :v:

goose willis posted:

I bought the Xenos 2 and Chaos Indices but the epub format killed a little of my soul, so I was very happy when I stumbled upon PDF versions (that aren't just blurry photographs.)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

JBP posted:

People are going loving bananas about the codex releases being so soon and having wasted money on the index. I thought it was really loving clear that this would happen and that the index is still going to be massively useful as a resource... loving hams.

It's GW. What did people expect?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
So long as the target handles wound allocation, I feel like abstracting cover in that way is the most sensible option. It's like forcing you to apply wounds to already wounded targets instead of spreading them out, even though that denies cool scenarios like shuffling wounded Intercessors into cover while fresh ones cover for them.

An errata that could help with this is saying that you can only allocate wounds to models that could legitimately be picked as targets, but this would make wound allocation a lot slower.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That's an instance of a situation where I would absolutely make the guy performing the attack roll the dice one model at a time, so that when that model standing out in the breeze eventually dies the rest of the squad gets the cover bonus for any subsequent shots. Target declaration all happens before wounds are rolled, so you can't stop the attack from happening even if LOS is broken by casualties, but when the armor save is rolled you definitely meet all the conditions for cover.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

w00tmonger posted:

It's GW. What did people expect?

They should expect what they were told to expect. There are people screaming about codex releases. Did they think there just wouldn't be chapter/legion/craftworld/whatever rules and fluff or what?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

goose willis posted:

I bought them because I play xenos. I assume my codexes will be next year. If not, well. $20 each tax for finally getting xenos updates fast.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
I'm pretty happy about having Index Astartes because, thanks to buying various box sets over the years, I have a small amount of Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Blood Angels, and Deathwatch, but no intention to make a full army out of any of them. I'll be picking up Codex Space Marines, but the Index will do just fine for playing casual games with the other armies.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Oh god I forgot how much work stripping models is.

Also I bought the indexes anyway, I like having the book in my hands

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Playing a game tomorrow against a friends Space wolves force. He's taking a Rune Priest in Terminator Armor, a unit of Wolf Guard all with lightning claws and a unit of Grey Hunters.

I was planning on taking a Captain in Gravis Armor, 2 lieutenants, a squad of Intercessors and a squad of Inceptors.

I know I'm probably going to get wrecked, but I don't want to take anything too heavy. Should I take a unit of hellblasters? It's his first game of 8th.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JBP posted:

They should expect what they were told to expect. There are people screaming about codex releases. Did they think there just wouldn't be chapter/legion/craftworld/whatever rules and fluff or what?

If GW was smart they would have just released them online for free. If they are a stop gap before codices get released that would be the easiest way and build some goodwill / get people who haven't played in a while back on the bandwagon.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
:siren:Paging SRM.:siren:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Enentol posted:

Its so beautiful.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

goose willis posted:

I bought Xenos 1 and 2, and the Chaos one because I like supporting my local store, and also not going to steal something I actually plan to use to play. Purposely didn't get Imperium 1 because obviously Space Marine Big Boys Edition Codex had to be the first release.

(Also if you like Space Marines there is a much better game :ssh:)

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Given the current state of Forgeworld I'm not sure the 30k players get to keep smugging about their game being better. Remember there is a 7.5 update in your future.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I like heresy better than 8th vOv

E: pretend I sound extremely smug

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Pendent posted:

Given the current state of Forgeworld I'm not sure the 30k players get to keep smugging about their game being better. Remember there is a 7.5 update in your future.

*softly smiles at his Glaive, the pity for 40k players adding a poignancy to the moment*

I guess Biglys do look neat.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

LordAba posted:

If GW was smart they would have just released them online for free. If they are a stop gap before codices get released that would be the easiest way and build some goodwill / get people who haven't played in a while back on the bandwagon.

I don't know. They're going to last a long time for particular armies and they're a good reference on everyone else without having to purchase 15 codices or whatever.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Enentol posted:

So bright it actually hurts to look at.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I should do a goblin green based army sometime.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Safety Factor posted:

I can't imagine why charging with them would be a good idea, unless it's against units that can barely fight back.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I can't imagine why charging with them would be a good idea, unless it's against units that can barely fight back.

That rule is probably generic to Gravis jump troops, at a guess. There will probably be others where it's more appropriate

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think the idea is to jump up, blow away a bunch of tactical marines or gaunts or whatever, then charge into some biovores or devastators. The enemy can either stick around or run, but they're not shooting, and you can fall back once it's your turn again and still shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I think the idea is to jump up, blow away a bunch of tactical marines or gaunts or whatever, then charge into some biovores or devastators. The enemy can either stick around or run, but they're not shooting, and you can fall back once it's your turn again and still shoot.

Biovores. Are people actually taking them?