Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Cythereal posted:

The Mass Effect games have fun examples both ways. The main trilogy mentions that Confucianism and Buddhism have found turian converts, while one squad member in Andromeda is a human who follows the Athame religion of the asari.

I kind of want to see a story about the plight of an alien missionary trying to win human converts when it is a squid immersed in a tank because our oceans don't contain enough ammonia for its species to survive in. All the metaphors are weird and humans communicate with vibrations in a gaseous medium rather than rapid changes in skin color and the whole thing is just a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Bible says that humanity is the only intelligent life created by god.

There's also a ton of other quotes that would lead protestant evangelicals to reject the idea of alien life.

The Church is described as the bride of Christ and covers all life in creation. Creation covers all material space, but life exists only on earth.

The bible also says that man was created first in god's image and endowed with craftsmanship immediately after. God blessed mankind to always be closest to him (in intelligence and craftsmanship). If another species were able to travel to earth, then that would mean they were either more intelligent or possesd more craftsmanship, and would therefore be closer to god, than humanity. Which is impossible because humanity was created in god's image.

Jesus also says that all life exists on earth and will eventually be united in one flock under him, bringing all of creation under Christ.

I'm just saying that acceptance of aliens in religion is mostly a recent development and no religions are explicitly positive on alien life.

Catholics and Protestants in particular already had to deal with this issue 500 years ago when they discovered an entire continent full of people who had never had any contact with the rest of the world or possibility of hearing Christ's message or even discussed at all by the Bible. The issue of what the existence of Indians meant to Christianity was pretty much the same context of what aliens would mean to Christianity.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Snowman_McK posted:

This is a really strange critique that i disagree with, but i'm having great trouble articulating why. It seems (and I may have misinterpreted) that the subtext/symbolic motivation of Luthor fails because of the literal facts of the plot. Is that what you're saying?

That's about it - he's there attributing the powers of the divine on a alien that that can fly and punches stuff hard. He is powerful but not clearly not all powerful. As for good?

Superman hasn't been around long enough for people to even attribute 'all good' to his mystique. At most they're all still trying to figure out who he is - Batman, the Government, the media, are trying to determine his motives, and whether or not they can trust him. No one is worshipping him, they're asking 'who is he?'. His lackey/girlfriend/business partners aren't swooning over Superman, literally no one is giving him the benefit of the doubt apart from that one crowd of Day of the Dead people that conceivably view him as something greater.

Take Lex's quote:
"The problem of you on top of everything else. You above all. Ah. 'Cause that's what God is. Horus. Apollo. Jehovah. Kal-El. Clark Joseph Kent. See, what we call God depends upon our tribe, Clark Jo, because God is tribal. God take sides. No man in the sky intervened when I was a boy to deliver me from Daddy's fist and abominations. Mm-mm. I've figured it out way back, if God is all powerful, He cannot be all good. And if He's all good then He cannot be all powerful. And neither can you be. They need to see the fraud you are. With their eyes. The blood on your hands."

"They need to see the fraud you are." - Who are they? Superman hasn't had enough time to defraud anyone. Lex is raging against the Ideal which hasn't even been created.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Hodgepodge posted:

I kind of want to see a story about the plight of an alien missionary trying to win human converts when it is a squid immersed in a tank because our oceans don't contain enough ammonia for its species to survive in. All the metaphors are weird and humans communicate with vibrations in a gaseous medium rather than rapid changes in skin color and the whole thing is just a mess.

I'd sign up for the swimming pool kaleidoscope religion.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Goffer posted:

"

"They need to see the fraud you are." - Who are they? Superman hasn't had enough time to defraud anyone. Lex is raging against the Ideal which hasn't even been created.

He's been around for a year and a half in the public eye. Active and saving lives.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Goffer posted:

Superman hasn't been around long enough for people to even attribute 'all good' to his mystique. At most they're all still trying to figure out who he is - Batman, the Government, the media, are trying to determine his motives, and whether or not they can trust him. No one is worshipping him, they're asking 'who is he?'. His lackey/girlfriend/business partners aren't swooning over Superman, literally no one is giving him the benefit of the doubt apart from that one crowd of Day of the Dead people that conceivably view him as something greater.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Goffer posted:

That's about it - he's there attributing the powers of the divine on a alien that that can fly and punches stuff hard. He is powerful but not clearly not all powerful. As for good?

Take Lex's quote:
"The problem of you on top of everything else. You above all. Ah. 'Cause that's what God is. Horus. Apollo. Jehovah. Kal-El. Clark Joseph Kent. See, what we call God depends upon our tribe, Clark Jo, because God is tribal. God take sides. No man in the sky intervened when I was a boy to deliver me from Daddy's fist and abominations. Mm-mm. I've figured it out way back, if God is all powerful, He cannot be all good. And if He's all good then He cannot be all powerful. And neither can you be. They need to see the fraud you are. With their eyes. The blood on your hands."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0lQxUqmnfU

:confused:

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

We put up quite a lot of statues. It doesn't mean they're perfect beings, just that they did something noteworthy

Although that pose does imply a rather benevolent being

"literally no one is giving him the benefit of the doubt apart from that one crowd of Day of the Dead people that conceivably view him as something greater". Also those people in the flood. Mostly everyone else is questioning his motives.

The writing in that is so tacky as well:

"And when the saviour character actually comes to Earth we want him to abide by our rules?"
"the fact is that maybe he isn't some sort of devil or jesus character"

It's like he's a fictional being!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Goffer posted:

We put up quite a lot of statues. It doesn't mean they're perfect beings, just that they did something noteworthy

Although that pose does imply a rather benevolent being

Right. You have to be able to tell the difference between the statements being made by the BvS statue – a kneeling titan offering the sky to a monument to the dead – and a Civil War general waving a gun around on a rearing horse.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 6, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Goffer posted:

"And when the saviour character actually comes to Earth we want him to abide by our rules?"
"the fact is that maybe he isn't some sort of devil or jesus character"

It's like he's a fictional being!

The scene is literally about what people are projecting onto him. What people are deciding he is. I think you only need to look at the last US election to realise how prevalent that is. Few people think he's actually jesus, but he is unbelievably powerful in a way that makes humanity kind of redunant. Imagine the adoration a remarkable human might recieve, then multiply it by the fact that they can actually fly, that they actually saved the planet, that they actually seem invulnerable. There's a point where, from a practical perspective, the way you'd regard god, and the way you'd regard superman don't actually have that much to differentiate them.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sir Kodiak posted:

Right. You have to be able to tell the difference between the statements being made by the BvS statue – a kneeling titan offering the sky to a monument to the dead – and a Civil War general waving a gun around on a rearing horse.

Well, one of them was clearly done by an artist who hated the subject.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gyges posted:

Well, one of them was clearly done by an artist who hated the subject.

Now, make me a statue of custard and maybe I'll enjoy it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Back to the Spider-Man Homecoming Mary Jane thing:

Am I the only person who thinks they probably acted as cagey as they did in order to prevent a Ghostbusters 2016 situation, where the movie got ultra-politicized prior to its release? Less "catering to racists," more "waiting until it's too late for the racists to raise a meaningful shitstorm," if that makes sense.

no, they didn't say anything because it's a dumb throwaway line at the very end of the movie that means literally nothing. Like Peter and Ned and everyone else call her Michelle throughout the entire movie and then at the very end she's like "uh my friends call me MJ" and then Ned says "uh you don't have any friends" and she's like "whatever".

The logic was almost certainly either "well Liz has to be Peter's love interest for this movie but then she goes away so we'll just hide MJ under a different name until the very end so we don't distract people" or "well since Liz isn't a character that exists in the comics we have to have a comic character somewhere, just toss it in somewhere inconsequential." They literally put a third of the female cast on a truck to Oregon at the end of the movie so they had to do *something*

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jesus christ, that's horrifying. Good god man.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

no, they didn't say anything because it's a dumb throwaway line at the very end of the movie that means literally nothing. Like Peter and Ned and everyone else call her Michelle throughout the entire movie and then at the very end she's like "uh my friends call me MJ" and then Ned says "uh you don't have any friends" and she's like "whatever".

The logic was almost certainly either "well Liz has to be Peter's love interest for this movie but then she goes away so we'll just hide MJ under a different name until the very end so we don't distract people" or "well since Liz isn't a character that exists in the comics we have to have a comic character somewhere, just toss it in somewhere inconsequential." They literally put a third of the female cast on a truck to Oregon at the end of the movie so they had to do *something*

Liz Allen is actually a character in the comics. and Michelle being "MJ" is quite obviously a set up for the next one, she even gave a meaningful look.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

me when I was a child didn't tell me the entire truth!!!" or a scene where Ares said "Even if you stop me here I'll still win because the armistice is also part of my plans MU HA HA HA!"

Ares did say that though!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What people really want is apparently for movies to explicitly explain everything in dialogue multiple times and spell things out to them as if they were a child

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What people really want is apparently for movies to explicitly explain everything in dialogue multiple times and spell things out to them as if they were a child

I feel like I got the two big takeaways from Wonder Woman.

War bad

Woman with the psychological development of a six-year old our only hope

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC6wc03OjhY&t=30s

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Gyges posted:

Not if the whole movie the protagonist insisted that everyone would be happy because the mind control stopped just as soon as she killed the bad guy. Which is all Diana does and leads to the final bit of conflict between her and the other good guys when she rushes off to kill the guy she concluded was the bad guy instead of helping stop the evil plan.

The whole movie presents the protagonist as ridiculously naive and hilariously wrong.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Kevin Feige says that Avengers 4 is "the end" of the 22-movie MCU Arc and "the last installment of the Marvel Cinematic Universe."

After the Spider-Man: Homecoming Sequel, there is going to be "a new MCU" with some major announcements to come.

quote:

Feige told the Toronto Sun that Avengers 4, which currently does not have a working title, would be the last installment in the current MCU. After that movie, Feige explained, the sequel to Spider-Man: Homecoming will represent a new period for Marvel. It will help to kickstart a new MCU future with new superheroes for audiences to get to know.

“The original 22-movie arc ends with the untitled Avengers in May of 2019, and then two months later it will be Peter Parker and Spider-Man that usher us into the aftermath and how things proceed from there,” Feige said.

"This won't be an end to the canonical Marvel Universe, but it will be a completely different experience in terms of characters, tone, and how we tell our stories. Expect major announcements in the next year."

The contracts for Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man), Chris Evans (Captain America), Mark Ruffalo (Hulk), Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow), Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye) and Chris Hemsworth (Thor) are coming to an end.

Downey Jr. told Australia’s News that he was getting ready to hang up his jersey, so to speak, and retire from the Marvel universe he’s called home since 2008.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 6, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Don't diss on Shakespeare.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Back to the Spider-Man Homecoming Mary Jane thing:

Am I the only person who thinks they probably acted as cagey as they did in order to prevent a Ghostbusters 2016 situation, where the movie got ultra-politicized prior to its release? Less "catering to racists," more "waiting until it's too late for the racists to raise a meaningful shitstorm," if that makes sense.

No they just shifted the shitstorm from Homecoming to the next Spiderman film

I'm convinced that they called her Michelle so they have get out of jail free card in their deck once people realize what has happened

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

Don't diss on Shakespeare.

Shakespeare wrote for morons

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Burkion posted:

Shakespeare wrote for morons

He wrote to the back row. Nothing wrong with that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably late, pretentious and out of nowhere for multiple reasons, but my first thought on the Martha scene in Beavis, and especially the post-rescue followup, is that it's a moment when Batman realises that Superman is not his enemy, but his spiritual brother. The actual Martha later says "You must be a friend of my son. Y'know, the cape." like they're clearly a couple of kids who've been playing pretend together with costumes. (and I mean that with no intent to demean. Playing pretend is important.) The whole movie, especially in the Extended Edition, is basically how Lex has been very artificially setting up the conflict, subconsciously or consciously because if they actually sat down and talked to each other the two caped outsiders might actually have a lot to discuss.

Also, not sure whether it's worth a look to read Diana's dialogue, especially 'They don't know how to mourn him except as a soldier' through a lens informed by Wonder Woman's own movie; she obviously has a certain view of soldiers, and clearly sees Superman, whom she only met very briefly (she seems to interact with Bruce Wayne with a lot more interest than Clark Kent, who I'm not sure she knows is Superman til the end) as something different. Especially since a big theme is that people see Superman as godlike, with wildly varying reactions based on that, and Wonder Woman has her own views on that as well.

I do like the idea that the existence of Superman is driving the whole world a little crazy; that an alien who looks like a guy on the street in a fancy suit (I do like the idea of Superman wearing chainmail, adds to the 'knight in shining armour' imagery that Snyder is clearly a fan of) is in its own way as potent and terrifying imagery as Cthulhu risen from the deep, something out of nowhere that the human world could never be really prepared to deal with. Of course, maybe going a little mad isn't a bad thing.

Also on the religion note; especially in the modern day, I think that the literal line of faith as written in the holy books and preached by the holy men isn't necessarily the same as the way the faith is internalised and interpreted by the flock, as much as said holy men would like to believe.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Inescapable Duck posted:

The actual Martha later says "You must be a friend of my son. Y'know, the cape." like they're clearly a couple of kids who've been playing pretend together with costumes. (and I mean that with no intent to demean. Playing pretend is important.)

And you've no doubt remembered that one of the last scenes in Man of Steel is a Martha flashback to Pa Kent, looking fondly on young Clark running around the backyard wearing a cape.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

And you've no doubt remembered that one of the last scenes in Man of Steel is a Martha flashback to Pa Kent, looking fondly on young Clark running around the backyard wearing a cape.

Well I do now. Fits with the themes of childhood that have been big in Man of Steel and always central to the Batman mythos; Superman is a product of good parents, Batman is a product of dead parents.

And on the Spider-man topic, I have to wonder if they're changing up stuff so much for the MCU Spider-man just as much because they're actively avoiding retreading the Raimi and Amazing movies doing everything to death, good or bad. When you reboot a franchise twice in the same decade, it probably helps to be as different as you can be if only so audiences don't feel like they're literally watching the same movie again.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Anyone can track down the source of these quotes?

https://twitter.com/darththawne/status/882542626175463424

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/matt-reeves-teases-emotional-batman-story-pays-tribute-christopher-nolan-093839236.html

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

Gives a new spin on the ending of Europa Report.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So we make it a decade and Marvel has to reboot the entire universe.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Thanos is gonna kill the MCU and reboot it in Avengers 4 so Spider Man Homecoming 2 is the start of new actors in the same original roles.

Peter: "Hello Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Black Widow, Hulk, Hawkeye!"

Ben Stiller: "Sup, loser. Join Globo Gym and you won't look like a turd. Where's your hot aunt?"
Triple H:*15 minute entrance to Motörhead with skulls and blood paved road* *30 minute monologue into hard camera*
Chris Pine: "Yup. Ok."
Gina Carano: *bites lip* *punches air sexily*
Rock: "Why do I talk like Lou Ferrigno?"
Tom Cruise: "I got an upgrade and I'm the leader now." *runs hard*

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gatts posted:

Thanos is gonna kill the MCU and reboot it in Avengers 4 so Spider Man Homecoming 2 is the start of new actors in the same original roles.

Peter: "Hello Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Black Widow, Hulk, Hawkeye!"

Ben Stiller: "Sup, loser. Join Globo Gym and you won't look like a turd. Where's your hot aunt?"
Triple H:*15 minute entrance to Motörhead with skulls and blood paved road* *30 minute monologue into hard camera*
Chris Pine: "Yup. Ok."
Gina Carano: *bites lip* *punches air sexily*
Rock: "Why do I talk like Lou Ferrigno?"
Tom Cruise: "I got an upgrade and I'm the leader now." *runs hard*

Recast Ben Stiller with a mustachioed Channing Tatum and I'm there opening night.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DC Murderverse posted:

That seems separate from, and not incompatible with, my assumption.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
That's dumb. That's not something Thanos would do at all.

It's more of a Red Skull getting his hands on a cosmic cube situation.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Reeves is talking an awful lot about Chris Nolan but Snyder made the best Batman movie of the two of them. :colbert:
I'm just defending my boy Snyder because he seems to get poo poo on for dumb reasons.

That Jim Halpert guy better be saying he hopes Reeves continues what the DCU/Snyder started with his whole

quote:

1) Take the genre seriously. 2) See that despite the influx CBMs are less diverse than ever. 3) Show a vision.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 6, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Drifter posted:

Reeves is talking an awful lot about Chris Nolan but Snyder made the best Batman movie of the two of them. :colbert:
I'm just defending my boy Snyder because he seems to get poo poo on for dumb reasons.

That Jim Halpert guy better be saying he hopes Reeves continues what the DCU/Snyder started with his whole

Reeves has said that The Batman solo film is going to be different from BvS and The Batman from BvS.

He said he wants to do a Noir-style Batman that is very visually minimalist. He wants to focus on Batman as a Detective and Investigator and not the grizzled guy out for revenge.

He said Batman is going to be similar to Caesar in the new Planet of the Apes movie, where he is an invisible/calm force in the middle of chaos trying to figure it all out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I really hope they for the grey and blue Bat costume.

• Locked thread