Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Clarste posted:

This is literally your superpower. It makes you one of the strongest people in the world.

But i thought our superpower was being able to see into people's souls and see their past in flashback form?

On the note of The Echo it's always bugged me that as important as the Scions of the 7th Dawn are in fighting Primals only 2 of the original members were actually immune to being mind controlled by the drat things. Not that the primals actually try doing that outside of the base ARR stuff but hey :shrug:

Also also it's great to see [i assume] Square listening to feedback and lessening the amount of extra poo poo you have to do before you can actually go fight a newly introduced primal. I started noticing it when it came down to fighting i think Leviathan and the solution is "oh lets just tie 2 ships together!" and then they do it off screen and you go fight him immediately :psyduck:. Then with Lakshmi you only get to see her for 1 cutscene before they just let you storm the drat Aetherite room and go fight her! Like wow what an improvement!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

But i thought our superpower was being able to see into people's souls and see their past in flashback form?

On the note of The Echo it's always bugged me that as important as the Scions of the 7th Dawn are in fighting Primals only 2 of the original members were actually immune to being mind controlled by the drat things. Not that the primals actually try doing that outside of the base ARR stuff but hey :shrug:

Lakshmi actively tries to temper the Scions and only the WoL keeps them from getting mind controlled. She DEFINITELY tempers some of the snakes.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Don't they explicitly write the fights for savage and then destine them by removing stuff for normal?

What you're describing would fit exactly what they've done with Brute Justice and what I'm proposing for O4S. Also, stop quoting ten people in your posts :catstare:

nuru fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 6, 2017

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
From a couple pages back but thanks to the person who did the massive effort post about crafting macros. I'm a dumb baby who can't do the maths to work out my own rotations so having someone write out a one-size-fits-all macro is helpful!
even if I don't actually use macros themselves because they always lag and miss a step

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Fridurmus posted:

Lakshmi actively tries to temper the Scions and only the WoL keeps them from getting mind controlled. She DEFINITELY tempers some of the snakes.

Susano-o has actively mind controlled the entire player base. Some say they can hear his voice in their heads still.

RRRREVEL!

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

how much effort would it take to bring fsh from 55 to 70? i haven't fished in forever.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I want Ravana and Susano-o to fight.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Does anyone else hear Long John Baldry's Dr. Robotnik when Susano says "wild and pure, and forever free"?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
How do you get back to Doma liberation front if you haven't attuned the location?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

How do you get back to Doma liberation front if you haven't attuned the location?

The House of the Fierce? YOu can dive intot he pool by Namai and go in the door, thre's also a path you can walk through if you're coming from the North side.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I've been playing this game for 2 years and I just learned that you can /cpose with weapons out.

This is game changing.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Flavahbeast posted:

What changes after the first day?

Tl;Dr: Pubbie quality goes off a cliff the farther you get out from patch launch, with weekly bumps every reset.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 6, 2017

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Now they just need to make the loot timer on Omega 30 seconds instead of 5 minutes. I hope everyone who only rolls on their preferred item first steps on a lego.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Philonius posted:

Now they just need to make the loot timer on Omega 30 seconds instead of 5 minutes. I hope everyone who only rolls on their preferred item first steps on a lego.

This new meta is weird to me. If it becomes pervasive enough SE will just make it so everyone has to roll on everything before anyone gets anything.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
What if they just made a system that wasn't terrible?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I think my favorite thing about their loot system is that if you leave the instance before the roll is complete you forfeit it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Saint Freak posted:

What if they just made a system that wasn't terrible?

if you can figure out a system where people will still run more than once per week, but isn't also worse in every single way, I'd love to hear it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Philonius posted:

A real odd strat because you should roll on your preferred item last.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

The normal raid drops 320 tokens, in a week we get savage gear which most people won't see, in another week tomes of creation added and with them a new set of gear, right? Of these, creation gear is a bit higher than normal, and savage is a bit higher than creation?
Are we likely to see the antiquated 290 in better and dyeable versions any time soon? I think something similar was dropping in alliance raids so it's probably 4.1 in a few months?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Truga posted:

if you can figure out a system where people will still run more than once per week, but isn't also worse in every single way, I'd love to hear it.

Why do you need to force people to run it more than once a week? I mean if you really want to because no one likes it or whatever they already have a system in place for that for other content and it's called roulette.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Truga posted:

Drops+Token garunteed in x number of runs.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Drops+Token garunteed in x number of runs.

Maybe they could have some sort of currency drop? That you could turn in for items?? Nah that would never work

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

A real odd strat because you should roll on your preferred item last.

Depends on your aim. If you want one specific item *only*, you should roll last to maximize your chances. But if you prefer one item, but would settle for another if you miss, you want to roll on the preferred item first.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Saint Freak posted:

Why do you need to force people to run it more than once a week? I mean if you really want to because no one likes it or whatever they already have a system in place for that for other content and it's called roulette.

Because MMOs. The developer wants us to run it more than once and the situation we have now is far better than the usual random chest drops.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
The guy that decided dungeons give you guaranteed rewards for your time now and the guy that made the token system should fight to the death. Winner gets to name the next 16 versions of illumanti dankdip darkgobs.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Thundarr posted:

The monkeys paw crossover would be Drakengaard-themed. Don't beat it or you will start a chain of events that ends civilization in Eorzea at large.

I would be so on board with Omega stealing the aesthetic of the machine lifeforms from Nier:Automata. Personality-wise Omega's already not far off.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Servers are down from 8-11 tonight. :negative:

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Truga posted:

Because MMOs. The developer wants us to run it more than once and the situation we have now is far better than the usual random chest drops.

They want us to stay subscribed. It doesn't really matter to them if you run it once a week or a hundred times a week - just as long as you're staying subscribed. That's the main motivation behind weekly loot lockouts, to stop people from getting all their gear on the first week and unsubbing for a couple of months.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh I know, I never said it's some kind of insanely good idea to have us run the same thing 2-4 times a week, but they still want us to do it, whatever their reasons.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There are lots of ways to encourage multiple runs without it being a gamble. Just make it drop a single unified currency that can trade for anything in the right amounts.

What the problem becomes is that there is a pretty good chance to come out of a run with nothing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I know people have said that the Stormblood theme is a seriously overused leitmotif and I kind of agree, but honestly I don't think I'm ever going to get tired of that melody. Even if it is in the Kugane music, the normal battle music, the dungeon boss theme, and other boss themes. It's just real great.

Also I just got to the Azim Steppe and the music :eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR3yMqpaCrU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mordiceius posted:

Servers are down from 8-11 tonight. :negative:

Pacific? :pray:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Welp I've been sucked back into this game as usual, it looks like this expansion is miles better than the last one was.

I had some confusion on the whole 'you can't buy steam's version of the expansion and apply it to your non-steam version' thing and, since I wasn't super leveled before or anything, I've decided this is a good chance to start rather fresh what with the exp boosts and all. I threw even more money at the game to get the level 60 job boost/ARR story completed because gently caress redoing ARR on anything but side-alts.

I think it says a lot that despite the initial annoyances I'm still loving being back in the game. I used my boost thing on Summoner because why not and holy poo poo this new dragon trance gauge is a really neat concept that really hammers in the whole 'scion for outside energies' thing. Do I need to go do HS stuff before I can start Stormblood, or is being 60/flagged for finishing ARR enough?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
If it were up to me, I'd go the GW2 way, where every single instance has its own tomestone equivalent currency and once per day it gives a big bonus to it (i think 20 per run, but +60 daily), and then you grind a dungeon you want gear from and after ~20 dailies you can buy the whole set IIRC.

It's super easy to make weekly caps like with high end tomes too, for raids etc., like this.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

The Gate posted:

Maybe they could have some sort of currency drop? That you could turn in for items?? Nah that would never work

Currency drop, and once you are out of currency drop runs, subsequent runs for the week get you reset points for wt regardless of newbie bonus (Newbie bonus would net you 2).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I never know how I feel about loot systems. On the one hand, I find currency systems really unsatisfying. I like when I run a dungeon and get an actual item, not when I run a dungeon and get some sort of currency to go buy an item. In a way, it's part of what kills the fun of GW2 for me: everything boils down to currency, and the chances that you'll actually get something neat as a drop are abysmal. Obviously FFXIV is nowhere close to that and each dungeon has its own armor sets and everything, so it's miles ahead of GW2.

On the other hand, having to roll for drops suuuuuucks, especially when those drops are your sole means of progression, and if there's one thing I hate worse than boring currency systems, it's frustrating random rolls.

I wonder how it would work if they just went for WoW's current instanced loot system. Just skip the rolling and directly give players a thing if they get a drop, maybe with some built-in bad luck protection so you never run a boss like six times in a week and see nothing.

Truga posted:

If it were up to me, I'd go the GW2 way, where every single instance has its own tomestone equivalent currency and once per day it gives a big bonus to it (i think 20 per run, but +60 daily), and then you grind a dungeon you want gear from and after ~20 dailies you can buy the whole set IIRC.

If nothing else, I wouldn't mind individual instances having their own currencies just because I have no idea why there are so many Allagan tomestones everywhere. If they're going to use currency--and they probably should, at least for now--I like that method a lot better than piece-specific tokens that you have to roll for.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I would be so on board with Omega stealing the aesthetic of the machine lifeforms from Nier:Automata. Personality-wise Omega's already not far off.

THIS. CANNOT. CONTINUE.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

I never know how I feel about loot systems. On the one hand, I find currency systems really unsatisfying. I like when I run a dungeon and get an actual item, not when I run a dungeon and get some sort of currency to go buy an item. In a way, it's part of what kills the fun of GW2 for me: everything boils down to currency, and the chances that you'll actually get something neat as a drop are abysmal. Obviously FFXIV is nowhere close to that and each dungeon has its own armor sets and everything, so it's miles ahead of GW2.

On the other hand, having to roll for drops suuuuuucks, especially when those drops are your sole means of progression, and if there's one thing I hate worse than boring currency systems, it's frustrating random rolls.

I wonder how it would work if they just went for WoW's current instanced loot system. Just skip the rolling and directly give players a thing if they get a drop, maybe with some built-in bad luck protection so you never run a boss like six times in a week and see nothing.

If nothing else, I wouldn't mind individual instances having their own currencies just because I have no idea why there are so many Allagan tomestones everywhere. If they're going to use currency--and they probably should, at least for now--I like that method a lot better than piece-specific tokens that you have to roll for.

I think the new system where you're assured a drop after finishing a dungeon is a good middle ground. You get the fun of potential faster progression but still get hard progression no matter what and if you run dungeons to level you'll be fully geared up by the next dungeon. Obviously that wouldn't work for raiding content but even there I like current Lakshmi/Susano's currency system with a chance of actual item better than currency only.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I think the new system where you're assured a drop after finishing a dungeon is a good middle ground. You get the fun of potential faster progression but still get hard progression no matter what and if you run dungeons to level you'll be fully geared up by the next dungeon. Obviously that wouldn't work for raiding content but even there I like current Lakshmi/Susano's currency system with a chance of actual item better than currency only.

Yeah, the leveling dungeon loot changes are great.

It does seem like Omega has the worst loot system of all of FFXIV's instanced content. Randomly rolling for tokens that you also need multiples of for a given piece of equipment just seems like a recipe for guaranteed frustration. Just going for a straight currency system with a chance for an actual item drop (like Lakshmi/Susano EX) would be infinitely better, because you get a chance of an exciting drop, but even if you don't get it (or lose the roll), you're still making progress with every run. Leaving a challenging fight completely empty-handed is the polar opposite of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

how much effort would it take to bring fsh from 55 to 70? i haven't fished in forever.

do you like doing long boring grinds? if so then not an issue. But for most people its loving awful.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

From a couple pages back but thanks to the person who did the massive effort post about crafting macros. I'm a dumb baby who can't do the maths to work out my own rotations so having someone write out a one-size-fits-all macro is helpful!
even if I don't actually use macros themselves because they always lag and miss a step

macros were from here that they use, and theres some good leveling stuff here as well

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Yhd-yEa7dPj2WY9X3t02w0P3WeDydVRCWWzQiBoifuA/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true