Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

I assumed they just clone a new body for her whenever the collective needs to bang an alien

Yeah, that seems like the least problematic part of the whole thing.

Of course, I don't have any technical complaints about the Borg Queen anyway - the only issues with her imo are thematic since the Borg was a cool idea for a Force of Nature / Existential Horror villian and they basically made it feel like something else with all the borg queens and omega particles and dumb time travel plots (the Borg should have been smarter - so should the writers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

FlamingLiberal posted:

On a similar note, I wish they had kept Li Nalas around. He could have been a good recurring character. His death is frustrating.

Eventually he would've gone crazy and started reenacting the civil war.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Don't Romans have green blood lol how could this have happened?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

The Bloop posted:

Yeah, that seems like the least problematic part of the whole thing.

Of course, I don't have any technical complaints about the Borg Queen anyway - the only issues with her imo are thematic since the Borg was a cool idea for a Force of Nature / Existential Horror villian and they basically made it feel like something else with all the borg queens and omega particles and dumb time travel plots (the Borg should have been smarter - so should the writers)

It was their determination to shoe-horn a supervillain in as the avatar for every threat that gave us the Borg queen and it was a giant mis-step. The Borg should have remained a totally decentralised entity, it was scarier that way

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol Romans

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It was their determination to shoe-horn a supervillain in as the avatar for every threat that gave us the Borg queen and it was a giant mis-step. The Borg should have remained a totally decentralised entity, it was scarier that way

I agree completely, I was just saying that I don't agree with many people's assessment that the Borg queen doesn't "make sense"

She makes more than enough sense for Trek, she's just a thematic wet fart

Also, she would argue that the borg is still a decentralized entity. You can no more kill the Queen than kill the Borg Collective as a whole - she is, as you say, an avatar. Totally does remove most of the Other Horror about the Borg, though in favor of more mundane body horror.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

I really like that Worf sticks to his guns and doesn't donate. Season 1 TNG would have had him do it in the spirit of cooperation and we all would have learned a nice lesson about compassion.

Michael Dorn hated it and lobbied the writers to let Worf give the blood but Michael Piller was adamant.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

shadok posted:

Michael Dorn hated it and lobbied the writers to let Worf give the blood but Michael Piller was adamant.

Really? I'm shocked. Was he just worried the audience would lose all sympathy for him or something?

It's one of the better Worf moments.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

WampaLord posted:

Really? I'm shocked. Was he just worried the audience would lose all sympathy for him or something?

Agreed; I was going to say the same thing and you beat me to it. One of the things that makes this episode work so well is that Worf doesn't help the Romulan.

I also like the way Picard handles the situation. He makes it clear that he'd be personally disappointed with Worf if he didn't donate the blood, but he doesn't order his to violate his personal code of ethics.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

Yes, Dorn said the audience would see Worf as a murderer. There was a thing about it on the season 3 DVD bonus material.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No lie, I was contacted about a bone marrow donation once and I pretty much adopted Worf's attitude because after I met the dude.

THERE IS NO HONOR IN THIS

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like Dorn as an actor, and he seems like a nice guy, but that doesn't make him have any particular expertise in writing a compelling character.

Complicated Worf is better than Goody Goody Worf

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

shadok posted:

Yes, Dorn said the audience would see Worf as a murderer. There was a thing about it on the season 3 DVD bonus material.

Well, I'm glad Piller was adamant, then. Imagine having Worf stand there as the Romulan dude gets healed up and sent back to his people, meanwhile he still hates Worf's guts.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pakled posted:

It's complicated by the fact that the local officer worked for the Nazis and now he's being asked to administer a Jewish station. Even if all he did was arrest petty criminals and stay out of politics (he didn't, we know he was involved in investigating and prosecuting Bajoran terrorists) that's a tough sell.

Sometimes you've got to use whatever parts you have laying around. The guy running the West German Army in the 50s was the guy standing literally next to Hitler when Stauffenberg's bomb went off. But the list of guys that you could hire to run a military, were German, and didn't fight in WWII was this long:

(none)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well get him to do it then.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
New DS9 episode in my watch through.

Dukat wakes up Kira in the middle of the night to tell her he hosed her mum. Troll level: 9/10

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Dukat is such a top-tier villain

In that you love to hate him and hate to love him not in that his plans succeed. Civil Defense was hilarious.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Look, I'll just go back in time and check. Nbd ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bajoran collaborator dude can go die in a fire.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What's the deal with The Orbs of the Prophets anyway?

And why do they call them orbs? they are clearly n-dimensional double-cones protruding into our universe from a higher plane.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DS9 is wrongly lit for being in the past. All the previous flashbacks to Terok Nor have had a harsh blue filter over it, to make it look colder and more inhospitable. This has the warm cosy colours and lighting of the present day.

Edit: Kira's been trapped there weeks? Christ, you're a dick, Orb of Time!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh, Nerys. :smith: Stockholm Syndrome is a hell of a thing.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

The Orbs make the Prophets seem really irresponsible. They just dump these crazy artifacts out at random and then have no real control or plan for how they get used. Some Klingon steals the orb of time to go back and kill Captain Kirk? Eh, the Prophets are fine with that.

The Prophets are kind of dicks.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Zonko_T.M. posted:

The Orbs make the Prophets seem really irresponsible. They just dump these crazy artifacts out at random and then have no real control or plan for how they get used. Some Klingon steals the orb of time to go back and kill Captain Kirk? Eh, the Prophets are fine with that.

The Prophets are kind of dicks.

It seems like the don't even understand what kind of power they have. Like the orbs to them are probably super basic, but allow corporeal beings to do crazy stuff.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah they don't really understand or experience linear time so the time orb is basically a bus

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

It seems like the don't even understand what kind of power they have. Like the orbs to them are probably super basic, but allow corporeal beings to do crazy stuff.

This is something we see a lot over the course of the show. The Prophets just kind of do things without realizing any of the implications to the corporeal, linear time beings. They just treat "outside the wormhole" like we would treat "a sandbox, but sitting in it gives you the effects of copious amounts of LSD".

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

Yeah they don't really understand or experience linear time so the time orb is basically a bus

And I guess the orb of prophecy is like a telescope. They all do very different things to linear beings than they would to the prophets.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
It's like leaving a pen in the primates exhibit at the zoo.

Maybe the chimpanzee will learn to communicate with it and bridge an understanding between our species or maybe he'll loving stab the ape nearest to him! Oh poo poo!

Orv
May 4, 2011
I've always liked that particular sci-fi cliche, advanced civilization doesn't understand harm it's causing because they're so far beyond that sort of problem they can't empathize.

Unfortunately the Prophets, as noted, are kind of giant dicks about it, instead of going "Oh yeah our bad, we'll fix that" they do their best to call you an idiot to your face even when they're the ones who don't get it, then throw you bodily from their mind temple.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arglebargle III posted:

Don't Romans have green blood lol how could this have happened?

There's probably some kind of nasty joke about the Irish to be made here.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's probably some kind of nasty joke about the Irish to be made here.

Kirk, Spock, and McCoy land on a planet full of Irish stereotypes

Did

A). an alien visit ancient 18th Century Ireland and decide to base their entire culture around it?
B). an alien abduct an Irishman a long time ago and is now making an attempt to make humans feel more comfortable?
C). the studio have left over sets and props from a St Patty's Day sketch on Johnny Carson?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The reason the away team doesn't need to bring food supplies is because their not counting on staying there for like weeks. Also, if they got in any real trouble they can be beamed back and if they can't be beamed back their probably dead anyway. Like it's just logically the right thing to do.

edit:

LOL loving Garak has been having orgasms non stop for the last 2 years

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 7, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Also the Borg Queen tries to tempt Data with poo poo the Borg don't even care about, like physical sensations, and sexy times, she just makes no sense. Like, is she an ant queen banging all those drones all the time? Or does being in the collective just feel like a constant orgy and that's why everyone who is assimilated surrenders immediately because it just feels that awesome to be a Borg. Which come to think of it might have been a more interesting horror than what Trek actually did, if instead of feeling repulsed and violated because he was forced to help the Borg against his will, Picard admitted that being in the collective was the most amazing incredible experience ever, betraying the collective was the hardest thing he's ever had to do in his life, and he has to struggle with this constant craving to get back in there and become Locutus again.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Orv posted:

I've always liked that particular sci-fi cliche, advanced civilization doesn't understand harm it's causing because they're so far beyond that sort of problem they can't empathize.

Unfortunately the Prophets, as noted, are kind of giant dicks about it, instead of going "Oh yeah our bad, we'll fix that" they do their best to call you an idiot to your face even when they're the ones who don't get it, then throw you bodily from their mind temple.

The really weird thing is that they go on and introduce evil prophets aka pah-wraiths, who apparently understand time perfectly! Unlike the regular prophets who ramble like idiots whenever they encounter a time-comprehending person, the PWs manage to blend in among people, albeit dickishly. It's almost profound, but they never make it pay off at all so the PWs just remain cartoonish assholes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Prophets also never make sense anyway because Sisko supposedly joined them but also met them in the past and if the prophets exist at all times then why the gently caress didn't Sisko appear to himself and be like " Look this is what's going down".

Like there are two Siskos basically.

Normal Time Sisko

Prophet Time Sisko

Prophet Time Sisko has a point of reference for when he firsts meets the Prophets so he should just be like " Here's all the bad poo poo that is going to happen". He also knows what to tell him that would gently caress up time because he sees the future possibilities.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 7, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The prophets know everything that will happen, past and future, yet are surprised when Winn floods the station with whatever particles that keep them from killing space Satan.

E: The prophets know everything that will happen, past and future, time is meaningless to them and they can move through it at will, but it's really easy and nbd to tweak the deflector shields into a weapon that can kill them all before they have time to react

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm starting to think they're not Prophets.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

skasion posted:

The really weird thing is that they go on and introduce evil prophets aka pah-wraiths, who apparently understand time perfectly! Unlike the regular prophets who ramble like idiots whenever they encounter a time-comprehending person, the PWs manage to blend in among people, albeit dickishly. It's almost profound, but they never make it pay off at all so the PWs just remain cartoonish assholes.

Perceiving time like normal people is probably the perversion that got them cast out of the Celestial Temple in the first place.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I'm starting to think they're not Prophets.

They're just another bunch of space assholes living in a big space rear end in a top hat.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I bet they even do understand linear time but pretend they don't so they can jerk people around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Hrmm something fishy is going on with this Treaty with the Dominion. I just can't put my finger on it.

edit:

Aw it was all a dream

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 7, 2017