Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Those guys are relatively young legit NBA players (well I personally don't want Smart anywhere near my team but whatever) and Crowder has one of the best contracts in the league, it's not like they're dumping Mozgov and his awful contract where you need to sweeten the pot. They should be able to get something in return. I'd be fine with Utah dumping a pick to get Crowder back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Nets about to do it again

quote:

The Pistons already were over the salary cap and with the Galloway move, possibly made it more difficult to get Caldwell-Pope. “The issue is that KCP’s maximum salary is $24.8 million, so if he got an offer sheet somewhere else for the maximum and Brooklyn — once Otto Porter gets the max — seems like the only reasonable option to do that,” NBA cap expert Nate Duncan told The Detroit News. “If that happens, (the Pistons) — as it stands right now — could not match and could not go over that apron for any reason at any time during the season, once they sign Langston Galloway.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2017/07/05/pistons-keeping-kcp-tricky-proposition/103458328/

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really thought LeBron was smarter than to go back and work under Dan Gilbert. I hope he leaves again. Gilbert's never going to stop pulling the same crap.

LeBron made the right decision for a number of reasons (#1 being erasing all the bad PR from when he rightly left the first time, and that's coming from a Cavs fan). But, if the ownership keep loving with the team when everyone with a brain knows LeBron recruits and probably pays guys extra off the books I don't blame him for leaving again (though I would once again be very sad).

Dan Gilbert just needs to be an absentee owner who opens the check book to bring in all stars from 2011 that LeBron parties with and hope that GSW get some injuries before the Finals next year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bigass Moth posted:

LeBron made the right decision for a number of reasons (#1 being erasing all the bad PR from when he rightly left the first time, and that's coming from a Cavs fan). But, if the ownership keep loving with the team when everyone with a brain knows LeBron recruits and probably pays guys extra off the books I don't blame him for leaving again (though I would once again be very sad).

Dan Gilbert just needs to be an absentee owner who opens the check book to bring in all stars from 2011 that LeBron parties with and hope that GSW get some injuries before the Finals next year.

Lol what

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Nets loving up others teams cap future out of pure spite is spectacular.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Please do this brooklyn

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Because negotiating from a completely powerless place is a bad place to be. Utah is the only one who could live taking on those guys without caring because they don't want to be left with nothing when Hayward bolts.

Every other single team in the league would be negotiating from a position of power with the Celtics. Literally every single one. Ainge literally has to move some of these contracts, he has no choice. Every team should be demanding something extra from him for what is essentially doing Ainge a solid, even if the players he is trying to dump are good.

The only team that should maybe even consider taking on a dude for free is like, the 76ers with Jae Crowder or maybe Bradley.

Letting another team take Crowder, et al for nothing when you could have had those guys for 75 cents on the dollar seems like a very dumb move. The leverage Boston has is the asset themselves and the fact that someone will make a deal.

Boston might also favor a S&T so they can juggle cap and maybe make another move. That might be worth taking a smaller asset back from Utah vs other contracts being offered.

Also, if I wanted to be a contender I would not want to get rid of Avery Bradley, he seems like a perfect "4th guy" for a legit contender.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

morestuff posted:

I wouldn't even bother going for Giannis since he's going to be dead eventually. Same with all these other so-called superstars

Glory is fleeting, but future firsts are forever - Danny Ainge

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Lol @ LeBron paying guys. Pretty much everyone on that team either has a Max or leveraged an overpay for themselves. If anything they should be paying him.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

owner lebron doesnt play by the same rules as gm lebron

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
LeBron paying guys extra is a common conspiracy theory in Cleveland, probably not true but nothing about under the table money in pro sports would surprise me.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

he pays them extra in that hes made the ownership overpay for roleplayers to keep the team together putting dan gilbert deep in the tax

meanwhile kd taking money straight outta players pockets and putting it into joe lacobs hands smh

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Bigass Moth posted:

LeBron paying guys extra is a common conspiracy theory in Cleveland, probably not true but nothing about under the table money in pro sports would surprise me.

It'd be more believable if they had a single underpaid guy on the roster

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bigass Moth posted:

Who on the Cavs is so underpaid that LeBron needed to sweeten the pot. Was Iman Shumpert getting a lot of max offers? If he's gonna cheat he should really go get, like, Kevin Durant instead, he's not doing a very good job of this.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Look I know it's against the rules but sorry, I just need to have Richard Jefferson and he's got that lucrative podcasting gig to fall back on

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

MourningView posted:

Who on the Cavs is so underpaid that LeBron needed to sweeten the pot. Was Iman Shumpert getting a lot of max offers? If he's gonna cheat he should really go get, like, Kevin Durant instead, he's not doing a very good job of this.

He's paying Kevin Durant the 10 million he left on the table. Boom. Solved

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MourningView posted:

Look I know it's against the rules but sorry, I just need to have Richard Jefferson and he's got that lucrative podcasting gig to fall back on

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

That would make it even more impossible for them to sign hayward.

Not if the team wasn't selfish.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Disillusionist posted:

Seems pretty clear to me. He's saying that Boston shouldn't just throw in Smart/Crowder/Bradley in a sign-and-trade for Hayward to Utah. Those guys can fetch assets from another team, so unless Utah wants to pay an asset Boston should trade them to another team and sign Hayward outright.

My only question is why a sign-and-trade for Hayward is beneficial when they can just sign him outright after offloading salary.

5 years

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

MourningView posted:

sensational.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

From what I understand it's in Hayward's best interest to take a shorter deal and hit the market again when he's got 10 years of experience. With his agent apparently facilitating the sign-and-trade it might have been a pre-req for him going to Boston, though

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

morestuff posted:

From what I understand it's in Hayward's best interest to take a shorter deal and hit the market again when he's got 10 years of experience. With his agent apparently facilitating the sign-and-trade it might have been a pre-req for him going to Boston, though

Boston might get a 4 plus one which is better than a 3 plus 1. Better for boston.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

End of an era
https://twitter.com/DanFeldmanNBA/status/882975365488148480

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Guy Fieri is tight

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
So, the Pels are bringing Darius Miller into camp. For those with good memory, he was a 2nd round pick for the Pels in the same draft as Davis. He only stayed for a couple years and has been playing overseas since. I found a couple videos from this blog that, to me, show a much improved handle and quicker release. It will be interesting to me to see if he makes it out of camp.

Best game as a Pel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPt14BVuIDk

Highlight video of last season overseas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtf7tefp8vY&t=13s

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

morestuff posted:

When you are a blown Achilles away from your lifetime earnings tanking, you want the most guaranteed salary as possible. Plus the cap isn't jumping again anytime soon, so the raises you get will probably outpace the cap/category raise if you opt out.

Really, only a handful of players can afford/know they will get a Max even if they lose a leg to prefer flexibility over guaranteed salary. I don't think Hayward is there.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

When you are a blown Achilles away from your lifetime earnings tanking, you want the most guaranteed salary as possible. Plus the cap isn't jumping again anytime soon, so the raises you get will probably outpace the cap/category raise if you opt out.

Really, only a handful of players can afford/know they will get a Max even if they lose a leg to prefer flexibility over guaranteed salary. I don't think Hayward is there.

If there is one thing this offseason has taught us, it is that over-valuing your potential future earnings is a horrible move to make as a player.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Lockback posted:

Well, unless things change he's agreed to a 3+1 already, so he's already got some protection with that player option. When he hits 10 seasons after that third year he's eligible for 35% of the cap vs. 30%, so it's really not a small amount.

Paul Zuvella posted:

If there is one thing this offseason has taught us, it is that over-valuing your potential future earnings is a horrible move to make as a player.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

Not directly, but if you think about it playing next to LeBron did wonders for Kyrie's shoe sales and Love's endorsements and both of their general exposure.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 6, 2017

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

morestuff posted:

I wouldn't even bother going for Giannis since he's going to be dead eventually. Same with all these other so-called superstars

I'm not entirely convinced that LeBron is mortal.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I haven't really been in here, but I like the Clippers offseason because they literally acquired 3 of my favorite players in the NBA, but I also don't like it because we should have just S&T'd Blake to OKC and traded DeAndre and tanked probably

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Memphis is great

https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/status/882996301578817537

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

straight up brolic posted:

I haven't really been in here, but I like the Clippers offseason because they literally acquired 3 of my favorite players in the NBA, but I also don't like it because we should have just S&T'd Blake to OKC and traded DeAndre and tanked probably

Tanking is boring and lame and Blake effectively acting as the point will be really fun for the like 10 games he and Gallo are both healthy

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

straight up brolic posted:

Before the trade for Gallinari I said that a good GM could get the Clips to 50 wins this season. I'm not sold on Danilo and Blake being a good pairing, but I believe the Clippers are a 50 win team. I think it makes sense for the Clippers to tread water for a bit and see if maybe another superstar falls into their lap.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

I love this

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

morestuff posted:

Well, unless things change he's agreed to a 3+1 already, so he's already got some protection with that player option. When he hits 10 seasons after that third year he's eligible for 35% of the cap vs. 30%, so it's really not a small amount.

If you do a S&T you can do 7.5% raises, which back of the napkin looks like it gets him over 35% anyway if the cap grows at it's current slowish pace. The era of getting a big pay raise that out paced normal raises was a product of the cap jump. Historically you did better by keeping your raises as high as possible.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I missed cap smoothing chat but I don't see why everyone should suffer just because Portland doesn't know what a good contract looks like

One of these days the other team isn't going to match and the Nets are actually gonna be stuck with one of these dumbass contracts

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Before the trade for Gallinari I said that a good GM could get the Clips to 50 wins this season. I'm not sold on Danilo and Blake being a good pairing, but I believe the Clippers are a 50 win team. I think it makes sense for the Clippers to tread water for a bit and see if maybe another superstar falls into their lap.

It's kinda hard to see who that would be though. Maybe Paul George gets really confused and signs with the wrong LA next season?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Kibner posted:

So, the Pels are bringing Darius Miller into camp.

Darius has been really good over the last couple of years. He is an excellent defensive wing. I hope he gets some guaranteed money, he deserves a real chance at rotation minutes.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

The Grizzlies own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nap Ghost
Do the grizz have any other retired numbers?

• Locked thread