Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Look on the bright side: once people get their drop they stop playing for the week, so you will always be rolling against 7 other people who also haven't gotten their drop yet and your odds will never increase.

Wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Look on the bright side: once people get their drop they stop playing for the week, so you will always be rolling against 7 other people who also haven't gotten their drop yet and your odds will never increase.

Wait

or you could just go with goons, it is an mmo after all.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Holyshoot posted:

do you like doing long boring grinds? if so then not an issue. But for most people its loving awful.

I've been going fishing or doing botany poo poo while I'm in dungeon queue, and that's not too bad. What else were you honestly going to do for 16 minutes or whatever?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

I've been going fishing or doing botany poo poo while I'm in dungeon queue, and that's not too bad. What else were you honestly going to do for 16 minutes or whatever?

im a tank

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Holyshoot posted:

or you could just go with goons, it is an mmo after all.

I did a pony farm with goons once. The person that started it got super mad they didn't get the first drop and quit and then everyone else petered out.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Saint Freak posted:

I did a pony farm with goons once. The person that started it got super mad they didn't get the first drop and quit and then everyone else petered out.

lmao

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Saint Freak posted:

yea sounds accurate

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Wait to level Fisher until you have a few dps classes to level up then!

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

What I think they should just do with normal mode loot is just have a single token, and you get one per turn just for clearing and then so many tokens drop off the boss and you can win one of those per floor per week as well. There, you don't have people not lotting on things to try to game the lots, you mitigate bad roll luck (you can't go a week without getting anything at all unless you outright fail to clear), and you're still ensuring that some portion of the population runs it more than once a week.

What they're actually going to do with normal mode loot is just use the system they have now forever.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Got my DRG to 70 yesterday so I did some of the new raid as that instead of my AST. DRG feels awkward. On dummies it's kind of okay. The timers kind of drift funny but okay. My major fear going into content was that I'd drop eyes left and right but in practice my bigger issue was bunching of oGCD and weird timing shifts while trying to do mechanics. I feel like the job could really be saved by cutting down the animation lock on the new abilities and maybe even cutting back on life surge. But at the end of the day, what really kind of bothers me is that my DPS didn't even change that much when I felt I did it "right" and when I think I hosed the whole thing up. Not sure if this was their intention but I guess it was.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

nuru posted:

What you're describing would fit exactly what they've done with Brute Justice and what I'm proposing for O4S. Also, stop quoting ten people in your posts :catstare:

N

nuru posted:

What you're describing would fit exactly what they've done with Brute Justice and what I'm proposing for O4S. Also, stop quoting ten people in your posts :catstare:

O

Truga posted:

if you can figure out a system where people will still run more than once per week, but isn't also worse in every single way, I'd love to hear it.

The EX primal token system. You get a drop or you collect enough tokens to get what you want.

Mordiceius posted:

A real odd strat because you should roll on your preferred item last.

I got the thing I wanted in one shot of each omega thing by doing this, even though I only rolled about 50 on my last item. Feet and gloves in one week :toot:

Saint Freak posted:

Wait

Except for 3 and 4 where some progression raiders still are only taking the items for chest and legs, leaving easy rolls on other stuff, even though you will get enough of whatever the new currency is in 2 weeks to get chest.

Here is my super pro elite gearing strat:
Week 1: feet, feet, hands, hands | Lakshmi and Susan as possible for weap and RS
Week 2: waist, head, legs, legs | Lakshmi and Susan
Week 3: any missing acc slot, head, legs, legs | cap tomes
Week 4: missing acc, missing acc, whatever, doesn't matter | cap tomes, buy chest
Week 5: tomes
Week 6: tomes
Week 7: tomes, buy new tome weapon with the 7 gears unless I've been lucky and got a drop

Means I don't have to smash my face on a wall to get specific drops and I'm still fully geared in 4 weeks

But people farm v3 and v4 over and over and over because someone made a table that forgets that tomes exist but shows that if you get your specific doodad you can gear in 4 weeks

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I vaguely got back into doing mining stuff last night despite spending all of Heavensward on Fisher. Trying to collectible mine reminded me why I abandoned it for fishing, why is this such massive rear end? And why do cordials have a 4 minute cooldown? :argh:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Please nobody forget the first iteration of this system where it was just two randomly selected tokens from the pool available to each instance.

It can always be worse.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What are the chances goons are still going to be running normal Omega once savage comes out? Because with the amount I play I probably won't be ready for normal until savage is out, and I'd really prefer not to have to run with randoms because everyone else is running savage.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Harrow posted:

What are the chances goons are still going to be running normal Omega once savage comes out? Because with the amount I play I probably won't be ready for normal until savage is out, and I'd really prefer not to have to run with randoms because everyone else is running savage.

I hope they are. I did omega the other day with a full goon group and that was pretty neat. I don't care about savage and hate scheduling to play games, so Omega being viable for pickup groups is pretty nice.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Harrow posted:

Very high. Alex normal was very popular all through its savage releases.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Some newbie questions:

Are retainer ventures worth it? Turned my first retainer into a conjurer and have been sending her on field expeditions, since conjurer/white mage is the only class I've leveled extensively so far.

Company seals, what's the best use for them? I heard in guildchat that they're used to by venture tokens, but I've spent most of mine leveling up gc rank to private first class. How important are they and what's their best use for a newbie?

Is there any particular use for gathering classes if I've always hated crafting in MMOs? Thinking about maybe trying fishing as a change of pace and to relax some, and I heard mention it rewards minions and whatnot.

Finally, is there anything in particular I should be saving gold for? Only really using it for teleports and turkeyports so far.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Pierson posted:

I want Ravana and Susano-o to fight.

That would be too much fun being had in one location, it would cause some sort of happiness singularity.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Are savage raids so trivial that you just expect people to drop normal for it?
Besides those dreaded pubbies can do normal difficulty stuff just fine most of the time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Coughing Hobo posted:

Very high. Alex normal was very popular all through its savage releases.

Okay cool. I've never really been a raider in MMOs but I'd at the very least like to run normal modes in FFXIV. (I'm not opposed to running savage modes if it turns out it's not as time-consuming and I expect, but for now as long as I can do normals I'll be happy.)

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Harrow posted:

Once Savage comes out I'll probably only be running O4N once per week for the item needed for the weapon and not at all otherwise, since I'll have everything else I needed from it by the end of week 3.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Truga posted:

if you can figure out a system where people will still run more than once per week, but isn't also worse in every single way, I'd love to hear it.

Give 1 cracked cluster per run you do where you have
A. Received the loot for that version already
and
B. At least one of the party members has yet to receive loot

It's not perfect and a bit gameable, but there you go, relatively low effort method of encouraging people to do extra runs. The siren song of rank 6 materia that isn't based off awful hunt spam.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Normal is going to stay relevant for like 2 months, o4 for longer since 7 weeks is just 1 weapon.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

While I liked FFV well enough I have to say Omega's music is not as awesome or memorable as Alexander's or Coil's. There's also less of it (albeit just slightly in the case of Alex) since there's no corridors or trash, just bosses.

Cythereal posted:

Some newbie questions:

Are retainer ventures worth it? Turned my first retainer into a conjurer and have been sending her on field expeditions, since conjurer/white mage is the only class I've leveled extensively so far.

Company seals, what's the best use for them? I heard in guildchat that they're used to by venture tokens, but I've spent most of mine leveling up gc rank to private first class. How important are they and what's their best use for a newbie?

Is there any particular use for gathering classes if I've always hated crafting in MMOs? Thinking about maybe trying fishing as a change of pace and to relax some, and I heard mention it rewards minions and whatnot.

Finally, is there anything in particular I should be saving gold for? Only really using it for teleports and turkeyports so far.

1) Retainer ventures are absolutely worth it especially if you're a crafter, even if not you can use it to keep a decent amount of money around by just looking at what sort of skins/mob loot people need for crafting and gathering/selling it. As an omnicrafter I use my retainers to gather materials to craft with rather extensively (though I also pay for additional retainers so I can have 1 of each gathering class + 1 combat).

2) When you're a newbie and don't have much gear you can buy gear/promotions with them. When you're pushing the cap because you Greed all the expert roulette loot that people just pass on for some reason, you can dump the seals on Ventures, Cordials (if you're a gatherer), Dark Matter (if you're a crafter), or I dunno, durability droughts. Basically don't worry about "wasting" them as a newbie as if you greed everything in a dungeon you can eventually turn in gear for company seals and will end up with more than you know what to do with.

3) Generally crafting and gathering go together but you can always just fish for minions or whatever if you want to. It might be worthwhile to have a fisher retainer if you do this because some minions are locked behind fishing ventures. You probably won't end up doing the high end stuff without help from crafters (buying the gear or whatever), but if it's just to relax why not?

4) Gil isn't all that important unless you want to decorate a very pretty room/personal house. Keep enough so that you can pay for basic necessities like repairs and teleports (ventures should more than provide for this) and you're good.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 6, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Obligatum VII posted:

Give 1 cracked cluster per run you do where you have
A. Received the loot for that version already
and
B. At least one of the party members has yet to receive loot

It's not perfect and a bit gameable, but there you go, relatively low effort method of encouraging people to do extra runs. The siren song of rank 6 materia that isn't based off awful hunt spam.

This is great, yeah.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Some newbie questions:

Extremely yes. It's a bit like gambling but quick ventures can bring back a very wide variety of items and are the only way of getting the rare dyes. Hunting ventures can save you a little farming too.

Gathering is pretty good money as long as you're not going for huge ticket items that everyone is fighting over. It's cake to spend a half hour or so watching a YouTube video and gathering many many logs that sell for 1k+ each.

And Gil is mostly for housing and buying expensive glamour stuff, although teleport fees are getting steep lately its not a real issue.

Couldn't tell you what the best GC item is though. Coke used to be hot for housing construction but it's next to nothing on the mb on Hyperion right now. Ventures are always good.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mordiceius posted:

Let's talk about two of my favorite things in this game: Crafting and Gathering!

We are two weeks into the patch and yellow scrips are out. It has been enough time to get leveled up and decently geared on combat classes, so I'm sure a lot of people are about to turn to leveling crafting/gathering.

As someone who is just hitting 70 on all my DoH/DoL classes, I figure I'd share some tips of what I did and what I've learned. Others may go about things a different way, but this is how I handled my journey.

1 - Do your GC turn-ins daily. SERIOUSLY. DO YOUR GC TURN-INS. These are worth massive amounts of experience and help you level while focusing on other things. Had you done your GC turn-ins daily from the first day of early access, you'd probably be about level 65 in all of your DoH/DoL classes.

2 - If you are undergeared (i.e. coming into SB without Ironworks), you may want to use a combination leves and GC turn-ins to get yourself from 60-63. Then you can buy some decent gear that will get you over the crafting/gathering up and and allow you to make decent collectibles.

3 - This one is important: USE COMMERCIAL ENGINEERING/SURVIVAL MANUALS. These can be purchased for 30 red scrips each and if you are doing collectibles, you will be loving swimming in red scrips. It's a bonus 300k XP while crafting. That poo poo adds the gently caress up. Generally, I found that I would use one up for about every 10 items I crafted. As for gathering, I didn't much use them on MIN/BOT since I just focused on the Unspoiled Node collectibles, but they were a lifesaver when leveling fishing.

For food, buy Tempura Platter from the vendor in Kugane if you need CP.

4 - Quests now work like the Ixal/Moogle quests. No longer do you have to buy/gather stuff for your quests. You will be handed a crafting reagent and asked to make your quest item from that. For gatherers, there will be special quest items on normal nodes. This means you can't buy yourself to quest completion, but I never found any of the quest crafting/gathering requests that hard. Plus, you can fail it as many times as you want and just request a new item and do it again.

5 - You get quests at level 60, 63, 65, 68, 70. The level 60-68 quests give massive amounts of experience. Personally, I held off on doing all quests until I hit level 68 in my classes. Then I did all of the quests in one go. This was enough experience to take each class from 68 to 69. Then, I used a handful of leves to get over the final hump from 69 to 70. You may prefer to do the quests as they come, but I just liked doing them all at once.

6 - The Yellow Scrip gear is not good. Don't buy it. Buy the tools. Do not buy the gear. Lightly melding the Level 70 crafted gear will give you better results.

Taken from Reddit:
In order to make the White HQ Lvl 70 crafting stuff match the new yellow script stuff, you would need to meld the following stats:
Main Hand: 28 Craft / 15 Control
Head: 7 Control
Body: 23 Craft / 7 Control
Gloves: 7 Control
Legs: 1 Craft / 7 Control
Boots: 1 Craft / 7 Control

At most, buy the body with the main hand, but even that isn't necessary (as you'd be buying a ton of chest pieces vs using a single crafted one).

7 - When pumping out massive amounts of items for collectibles, these were the macros I used. I was sitting at around 950 Craftsmanship/750 Control/385 CP (boosted to 428 with food). My gear was light melded level 65 gear (purchasable from the vendor for red scrips or fairly cheap on the MB).

For 40 durability items, I used this macro. It won't get you HQ that often, but that doesn't matter because the 80 Durability Collectible macro doesn't need HQ items. It mainly just gets the Quality high enough to give a big XP boost and only uses a single macro (I hate using two macros for 40 durability items). It requires 373 CP baseline. As my levels went up, or depending on the item, less Careful Synthesis's were needed, so on a per item basis, I would swap either of the first Careful Synthesis for a bonus Basic Touch. (Remembering this adds an extra 18 CP to the requirements).

/ac "Inner Quiet" <me><wait.2>
/ac "Steady Hand II" <me><wait.2>
/ac "Basic Touch" <me><wait.3>
/ac "Master's Mend" <me><wait.3>
/ac "Careful Synthesis II" <me><wait.3>
/ac "Great Strides" <me><wait.2>
/ac "Byregot's Blessing" <me><wait.3>

For the 80 durability collectibles, I used this macro. I think it only once failed to get me the required collectibility but that was only because almost every loving hasty touch failed. It requires 412 CP.

/ac "Muscle Memory" <me><wait.3>
/ac "Comfort Zone" <me><wait.2>
/ac "Inner Quiet" <me><wait.2>
/ac "Piece by Piece" <me><wait.3>
/ac "Hasty Touch" <me><wait.3>
/ac "Master's Mend II" <me><wait.3>
/ac "Comfort Zone" <me><wait.2>
/echo MACRO DONE

/ac "Great Strides" <me><wait.2>
/ac "Innovation" <me><wait.2>
/ac "Byregot's Blessing" <me><wait.3>

That was how I handled my journey from 60-70. Feel free to disregard any and all of this, but I figured it may help some of you. If you want to ask any more detailed questions, feel free to message me in game about it at Mordiceius Ketsumei.

Quoting this for any other people leveling crafting.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Speaking of rank VI materia, has anyone crunched the numbers and figured out if it's better to meld critical hit or direct hit when given the choice?

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Some newbie questions:

Very much so, but it's totally random. Once they level up a bit you can send them on 1h quick exploration ventures, which have a very large pool of possible items they can return with. Sure, most of the time it's going to be useless trash, but ever so often it's 2x pure white dye and then you're up 800k gil. (Prices on your server may vary).

quote:

Ventures like you said, and levelling gear. The higher level gear is locked behind ranking up though. Also the relic weapon quests have a stage where you need to buy items with GC seals.

quote:

Selling to crafters if you can stand the gathering, finding treasure maps, minions if you're lucky.

quote:

Money is mostly used on totally optional items in this game. Minions, glamour gear, housing.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Cythereal posted:

Some newbie questions:

Weighing pros and cons: Yes. Retainer ventures can be a way to get some rare and weird things, as well as crafting mats that can from time to time be quite annoying to get at hold of. And you don't lose much by sending them off.

Company seals aren't super important in the grand scheme of things. You can buy some weapons and armour for them - might come in handy as you level. Leveling up your rank should, I think, be your first priority. Once you hit sergeant, you'll be able to turn in dungeon drops for seals, which is not rarely a better use for those drops than most other things you could be doing with them (ie. vendoring them)

Gathering classes are quite the pain in the rase to get to 50, but after that it gets easier. That said, it's eminently possible to do without, even if you do decide to pick up crafting (which, I should mention, is a lot more involved in this game than most, and a bit of a puzzle minigame unto itself, albeit one it's very possible to look up solutions for)

Gold is super easy to come by enough of for regular gameplay. Apart from what you've been doing plus pittances for repairs, it's mostly if you want to buy some stuff to help you look good... Or if you want to craft.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Thanks for the responses.

Also noticed the leveling slowing down significantly now that I've hit 40, which I think I'm okay with. Was hoping to not need to make the call about whether to buy the expansions quite as fast as it was looking in the 20s and 30s. :v:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Question for PS4 users: If the power goes out do you always have to redownload the game? I'm pretty sure my system was completely off, not in rest mode, when I went to bed last night. We lost power briefly, but when I turned on the PS4 today I got a notice about not being shut down properly and now I have to download 23 gigs worth of data.

I'm just wondering, for the future, is this a regular thing? It's possible the PS4 was in rest mode, but we usually turn it off completely at night. Anyone else experience this?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I would be so on board with Omega stealing the aesthetic of the machine lifeforms from Nier:Automata. Personality-wise Omega's already not far off.

cant wait for the master servo fight

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
money is also used for potions and food if youre into high end raiding

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Here's my solution to the story mode loot system: nothing drops from story mode.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Here's my solution to the story mode loot system: nothing drops from story mode.

Nah, Savage mode shouldn't have drops. Why do you need better gear if you can kill the hardest stuff? The reward should be the sense of accomplishment and the friends you lost along the way!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Nah, Savage mode shouldn't have drops. Why do you need better gear if you can kill the hardest stuff? The reward should be the sense of accomplishment and the friends you lost along the way!

you can't kill the hardest stuff without the gear it drops. h t h

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

you can't kill the hardest stuff without the gear it drops. h t h

So make it a bit easier so you can. hth

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Oxyclean posted:

And the amazing mounts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Speaking of rank VI materia, has anyone crunched the numbers and figured out if it's better to meld critical hit or direct hit when given the choice?

I don't know if anybody has posted the numbers yet, but I'm fairly confident that crit will still outweigh other substats for most or all jobs.