Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

My birthday is next week and my present to myself is to watch lovely animated movies that I've never seen.

So far, my list is Thugaboo: A Miracle on D-Roc's Street and this Tom and Jerry Wonka movie.

Also, I'm gonna check out American Gods too so that I don't go completely insane.

Anyone have any other ideas?

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/dvd/animated-mockbusters-list-94032.html

anything from this list that can make the cut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Secret of NIHM 2.
For maximum effect, watch the original right before it.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Honestly, I would just go down this list and pick the things that a) no reasonable person has heard of and b) made absolutely no money. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=animation.htm&sort=date&order=DESC&p=.htm

I think Spark just came out on DVD. Especially bad ones I've seen thrown around include The Trouble With Terkel, a 10+ year old Swedish animated film that got picked up and dubbed for something like $70 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=459ajX4zn_E), The Wild Life, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNCjU9VEuNc), and The Hero Of Color City, which I think is about crayons? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYp1g4h4y6k

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Secret of NIMH 2 has to be seen for at least the sheer level of 'They just didn't care' cash-in sequel it brings.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

ExplodingSims posted:

So is it literally just the Wonka movie but with Tom and Jerry and Cuebert Farnsworth?

Yes. Apart from a few lines peppered throughout about Tom and Jerry belonging to Charlie it is the original movie (only worse and cut down), pausing every few minutes to cut to Tom and Jerry and another mouse that wants to be an Oompa Lompa. They tried to make Slugworth an actual physical antagonist for a few scenes but it comes across as very bizarre considering he isn't Slugworth (I'm not spoiler tagging Willy Wonka folks), and I can't stress this enough, Charlie straight up murders him.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Martytoof posted:

Bottom right face was me when I learned this movie even existed.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Das Boo posted:

Secret of NIHM 2.
For maximum effect, watch the original right before it.

I read both books before I saw the movie and Racso and the Rats of NIMH was cool because the big climax was the rats learning how to use Xerox machines to forge documents to stop a dam from being built.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

dirksteadfast posted:

And for all the purists out there, do not worry, they kept in Slugworth's song and the flying Mexican Droopy.
Slugworth had a song?

I expect :thejoke:, but I have to double-check...

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So I started watching this abomination and I'm only like 15 mins in, but good God the faces. Everything is so stiff, and their faces just kinda...flop around.
Except Slugworth. His doesn't move at all.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

Slugworth had a song?

I expect :thejoke:, but I have to double-check...

They just gave him Veruca's song and changed a few lyrics...I think. I'm already blocking the memory of this poo poo from my mind. And no, not originally.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CRINDY posted:

mentally punched myself in the face

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I just watched the Gene Wilder movie last night - even all the outfits in those screencaps are loving identical to the movie - how loving lazy can you be?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, it's a WB presentation and they have the rights to their own movie adaptation, but not to the book itself anymore, so they can't like make a new adaptation of the book.

Also, it's the most recognizable version of the story. It's the same reason the T&J Wizard of Oz one was basically the Garland movie.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I watched it out of morbid curiosity, it's weird because a lot of the appeal of the original Gene Wilder movie was it effectively being a live-action cartoon but then this animated version is really sedated and boxed in. The bits that seems like they would lend themselves well to stretch and squash animation like Willy Wonka's cane getting stuck in the ground and him walking without it or Augustus Gloop being shot through the pipe like a cannon are more or less directly copied from the movie, if anything they're slower and more subdued.

Even the Oompah Loompah songs were copied from the live-action movie, complete with 70s fonts and graphic effects. It feels more like something they did to keep the rights than anything else because you can ostensibly recognize original movie but every character is animated with a sound-alike voice actor. It's uncanny. It's like the Sam's Club Cola of movies.

DreamScythe
Jul 25, 2007

CRINDY posted:

Honestly, I would just go down this list and pick the things that a) no reasonable person has heard of and b) made absolutely no money. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=animation.htm&sort=date&order=DESC&p=.htm

I think Spark just came out on DVD. Especially bad ones I've seen thrown around include The Trouble With Terkel, a 10+ year old Swedish animated film that got picked up and dubbed for something like $70 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=459ajX4zn_E), The Wild Life, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNCjU9VEuNc), and The Hero Of Color City, which I think is about crayons? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYp1g4h4y6k

Holy crap, look at the number of sequels/spinoffs from the nineties and mid/early 2000s, and then look at the number of sequels/spinoffs from recent years. Hollywood originality is DEAD. Shrek/Madagascar killed it.

Then look at the upcoming releases. :suicide:

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

dirksteadfast posted:

They just gave him Veruca's song and changed a few lyrics...I think. I'm already blocking the memory of this poo poo from my mind. And no, not originally.

This is literally what they did.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And they cut out Mrs. Bucket's song, so they removed half of the female led songs in the original and shared the other with a man.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Waffleman_ posted:

And they cut out Mrs. Bucket's song, so they removed half of the female led songs in the original and shared the other with a man.

In this particular case I'd say it's a win for women

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

My birthday is next week and my present to myself is to watch lovely animated movies that I've never seen.

So far, my list is Thugaboo: A Miracle on D-Roc's Street and this Tom and Jerry Wonka movie.

Also, I'm gonna check out American Gods too so that I don't go completely insane.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Yeah do something nice for yourself instead!

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

DreamScythe posted:

Holy crap, look at the number of sequels/spinoffs from the nineties and mid/early 2000s, and then look at the number of sequels/spinoffs from recent years. Hollywood originality is DEAD. Shrek/Madagascar killed it.

Then look at the upcoming releases. :suicide:

It's crazy watching the acceleration of the medium. Box Office Mojo records begin in 1980, and of 440 total listed releases, it takes 37 movies to get from 1980 to 1989. The next 100 movies go from 1989 to 2001 (12 years), then 2001-2008 for the next set (seven years), 2008 to early 2014 for the next set (5.5 years) and the most recent set of 100 only goes from 2014-2017, just over three years.

At that pace, we're due for something like 15-20 major animated movies in future years, and that might be a low estimate.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So Overwatch decided to announce their next playable character with an actual animated trailer, instead of the in-game engine ones they've done for the last few, and... Am I wrong in thinking that something just looks off with it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaZfZFNuOpI

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"doom fist"?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pick posted:

"doom fist"?

Overwatch is theoretically a superhero universe.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Regalingualius posted:

So Overwatch decided to announce their next playable character with an actual animated trailer, instead of the in-game engine ones they've done for the last few, and... Am I wrong in thinking that something just looks off with it?

I think it looks alright. The animation for the Doomfist origin story short was done by a boutique animation studio based out of Shanghai called Wolf Smoke Studio. https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/6/15930098/overwatch-anime-doomfist-origin-video-wolf-smoke-studio

I honestly wouldn't mind that kind animation style for an OW series over CG if it means it's more reasonable/plausible.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 7, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Regalingualius posted:

Watching that just made my eyes tired. Very spastic and a lot to follow.

I'm getting old.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I wonder if there's something distinct about how animation is taught and practiced in China; there's something about the way characters move and interact with the world in that video, The King's Avatar, and Big Fish & Begonia that seems different and noticeable to me, but I'm not really technically proficient enough to say what it is or even if I'm just imagining it.

It looks great to me though and I hope Blizzard has more of their cinematics done in 2D.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Hey, I dunno where else to post this but Castlevania is actually good. For a moment I thought they were gonna go "look at us trying to look like some awkward crappy anime from the 90's" but,it was nice. Quite gory, but it's ok. I liked the animation and although I haven't ever played the game (I still ask myself why), it's easy to follow. I haven't finished the series, but I loved to their choice of voice actors. (Oh, Tony Amendola! :allears:).

Who was the studio working on it? I completely forgot and I know they've done stuff I've liked.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 7, 2017

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Desperado Bones posted:

Hey, I dunno where else to post this but Castlevania is actually good. For a moment I thought they were gonna go "look at us trying to look like some awkward crappy anime from the 90's" but,it was nice. Quite gory, but it's ok. I liked the animation and although I haven't ever played the game (I still ask myself why), it's easy to follow. I haven't finished the series, but I loved to their choice of voice actors. (Oh, Tony Amendola! :allears:).

Who was the studio working on it? I completely forgot and I know they've done stuff I've liked.

Its Wow Unlimited Media, which was formed from a merger of Rainmaker and Frederator.Studios.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Trevor is very good in it, but I wish there were more episodes. Oh well, at least season 2 is already a go.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Its Wow Unlimited Media, which was formed from a merger of Rainmaker and Frederator.Studios.

Thank you, yeah, just checked their wikipedias.

Waffleman_ posted:

Trevor is very good in it, but I wish there were more episodes. Oh well, at least season 2 is already a go.

Everyone is so good in it. And they asked 8 the episodes! :) I guess will get them for next year?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I haven't seen much discussion of Despicable Me 3, probably because it's mediocre as hell. I can't really think of anything interesting to say about it. It just felt like it wasn't doing enough, and a good editor could fit the same amount of content into 44 minutes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

More like Despicable D-

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Is Trey Parker in it as much as the first trailer

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He plays the main villain, so I'd imagine so.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Waffleman_ posted:

He plays the main villain, so I'd imagine so.

There's not enough. There's not enough anything, really.

I mean, what happens in the movie that isn't in the trailer.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
To top it all off there honestly isn't that much minion shenanigans either, even when compared to the first film (let alone the second)

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Next Tom n Jerry looks better than the Wonka one.
https://twitter.com/Arielrocks5/status/883586745190809600

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy poo poo that last frame, I can't breathe

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Despicable Me 3 had six different plot lines: Two could have carried their own movie (Dru and Evil Bratt), one seemed to spring out of nowhere (Was the mom really self-conscious about her relationship with the girls in the second one? I thought they were gung-ho about having a mom? And she didn't have a character arc or anything, they were just, "Oh, right, she's awesome."), and the other three had no bearing on the plot at all (Unicorn, minions and that weird engagement plot that dropped off the face of the earth).

There was no theme or message that tied any of these together. There was no emotional investment. I kept predicting lines when I didn't even want to and yes, having seen this in theaters I can conclusively say that the comedic timing is way off.

Trey Parker's character was the only worthwhile element and he had around 15 minutes of screentime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
it's almost 4am and I can't sleep

saw this and thought of the thread

so at this point I'm pretty sure I am asleep and dreaming which is neat, I don't have livid dreams very often