Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If too many people talk poo poo right off the bat he won't come back and give us the citrusy details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I was trying to stay positive. I don't want him to have a sour experience.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

So I discovered yesterday that the Coleman cooler I had (which fit just fine in the back of my Frontier) doesn't actually fit in the trunk of my '17 (luckily it fit in the back seat [unlike any actual person lol]). Anyone have a rec for a cooler which fits in the trunk while being as large as possible? Hard sides better than soft, TIA.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Buhbuhj posted:

I was trying to stay positive. I don't want him to have a sour experience.

Not all lemon cars are terminal. My mom had a Fiat500 which was about to get lemon law'd for the tire pressure sensors flat refusing to work. Silly and annoying because it flashed a warning every time you started it, but hardly critical. (They ended up dragging it out long enough that the limited time period for lemon returns elapsed and she was stuck with it. The then transmission exploded).

..OK maybe that's not the best example.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Dick Burglar posted:

Looking forward to you coming back here complaining that the lemon lawed car you bought is, in fact, still a loving lemon.

Don't listen to these people, proceed with this great idea! Please post pics of the sunken tub you put in your car for the :females:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You guys are crazy a body in white is what 15k? How bad can it be? Worst case I put in a real 5.0 with a bitching carb for $2,000.

Edit: And sell the eco boost to some sucker for $6,000 I can't lose! By the end of this I will have made money.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 6, 2017

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
:munch:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

kalvick posted:

why is it a lemon?

Cage posted:

Why is it a lemon?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

While I'm certainly curious why it was lemoned, why is everyone so salty about the idea of someone buying a lemon?

I'm pretty sure everyone here has owned a POS car at some point in their life. Some of us are certainly still in glass houses.

Chill. He's buying a mustang. He knows it's a lemon. I think he's gotten the point that you don't think it's a good idea. Lean back and let him post about how good or bad of an idea it was.

Elephanthead, I look forward to how you fix the misaligned trunk or whatever the gently caress is wrong with it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
No ones salty, we're just curious and want to help.

Why do you think the car you drive is a POS?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Krakkles posted:

While I'm certainly curious why it was lemoned, why is everyone so salty about the idea of someone buying a lemon?

I'm pretty sure everyone here has owned a POS car at some point in their life. Some of us are certainly still in glass houses.

Chill. He's buying a mustang. He knows it's a lemon. I think he's gotten the point that you don't think it's a good idea. Lean back and let him post about how good or bad of an idea it was.

Elephanthead, I look forward to how you fix the misaligned trunk or whatever the gently caress is wrong with it.

Ask me about Mustang projects and how they can morph out of control. :v:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

frozenphil posted:

Ask me about Mustang projects and how they can morph out of control. :v:
Isn't that what the word "project" actually means?

Cage posted:

No ones salty, we're just curious and want to help.

Why do you think the car you drive is a POS?
Bullshit, and I don't.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I doubt he'll be able to find out any real reason why it was lemoned.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
In other news... I actually drove my car the other day.
A bird pooped on it so I drove it home. This is why I never drive it.

kalvick fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 6, 2017

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Krakkles posted:

Isn't that what the word "project" actually means?

No? A "project car" is just a car that has something that needs to be fixed up in some way. It's not a requirement that the car is doomed to have ten times the gremlins that you think it has once you open it up.

quote:

Bullshit, and I don't.

Nobody is "salty" because that requires us to be jealous and upset. We are concerned because dude is buying an admitted lemoned car and doesn't seem to think anything of it. If it was lemoned over a trunk alignment or some poo poo that's fine, but if it was lemoned for reasons like DasVolk's Z06 then there's reason for concern. And Elephanthead seems to be intentionally evading the question of why it was lemoned, which is worrying because it reeks of classic goon-in-a-well behavior.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Dick Burglar posted:

No? A "project car" is just a car that has something that needs to be fixed up in some way. It's not a requirement that the car is doomed to have ten times the gremlins that you think it has once you open it up.

Nobody is "salty" because that requires us to be jealous and upset. We are concerned because dude is buying an admitted lemoned car and doesn't seem to think anything of it. If it was lemoned over a trunk alignment or some poo poo that's fine, but if it was lemoned for reasons like DasVolk's Z06 then there's reason for concern. And Elephanthead seems to be intentionally evading the question of why it was lemoned, which is worrying because it reeks of classic goon-in-a-well behavior.

Is this the Mustang equivalent of GroverHaus? God I hope not. Good luck dude!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

kalvick posted:

Is this the Mustang equivalent of GroverHaus? God I hope notso . Good luck dude!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Dick Burglar posted:

It was a joke, dude.

Dick Burglar posted:

Oh, I see, you're defining the word as jealous and upset, whereas I was using it to mean "overly concerned, often in a frankly insincere manner".

:lol:

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 7, 2017

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
ok puppetmaster

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I lemon lawed a car once. I was happy to get rid of it. For mine they dumped at least 10k into the car (I bought it for 14k, lol) including a brand new engine and trans and it was leaking like a sieve when they gave it back (before buyback was processed).That's my story.

Saw this, even though I dislike DeMuro.

http://jalopnik.com/should-i-purchase-a-manufacturer-buyback-vehicle-1682794147

Sounds like you're buying off the internet...hopefully you're getting a good inspection done?

I've heard stories of people trying to lemon law cars doing all sorts of things, like unplugging sensors from under the hood to set MILs then plugging them back in when they go to the dealer. I heard of one where where the guy kept doing it so they put tamper proof stuff on the connectors so they could prove if it was disconnected. :v: Some people are slime, and some issues are complex that aren't easy to diagnose as cars have become more complicated. Know that if they didn't fix it in 3 tries, it's likely not going to be fixed when you buy it. So just be careful.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
At the risk of killing any posts to this thread the lemon stang is off. They refused to cave on a $495 document fee even after a week. Moving on to a nice black one with leather seats. Thanks for everyone concerned I not spend the market adjustment on a GT 350 on a lemon stang.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Speaking of theres a GT350 sitting on a lot out in the middle of loving nowhere about 50 miles from me in an area that it will literally never sell.....

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

At the risk of killing any posts to this thread the lemon stang is off. They refused to cave on a $495 document fee even after a week. Moving on to a nice black one with leather seats. Thanks for everyone concerned I not spend the market adjustment on a GT 350 on a lemon stang.

While this is the Right Choice, I have never, ever heard of any dealership budging on that. They all charge the local legal maximum or drat near it.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Digital_Jesus posted:

Speaking of theres a GT350 sitting on a lot out in the middle of loving nowhere about 50 miles from me in an area that it will literally never sell.....

Priced at reasonable 89,250$ or something.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Here is blackie the Mike Pence approved Mustang. It was more then the other one. I love these dumb cars for some reason.

Edit:
The dealer couldn't even keep from smashing into some pedestrians before I signed the purchase agreement.

They are respraying it but I know it won't be long before it craves more blood for the blood god.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 11, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

For some reason I thought lemon buy-back vehicles were just taken back by the manufacturer were recycled or otherwsie and destroyed or something. I never thought they'd just be turned around and offered for resale. Sounds like an express way to have never ending problems, even from the manufacturers viewpoint. I have no idea why I thought that but learn something new I suppose.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sometimes they're brought back to engineering to root cause and see where the breakdown in the process is or to better understand the fault. Usually it's the dealer not having a good service procedure to diagnose the fix correctly, or they're dumb and throw parts at it hoping 1 out of 3 times it fixes it. I just looked into a case of this the other day where our OEM did a buyback and brought it back to engineering finally. Looking at what the dealer did to fix it was kind of :psyboom: from my perspective. But they don't have the in depth documentation on how many of the DTCs work and never ask until it's too late, if they ask at all for help.

On my personal buyback, they involved engineering and even then the parts that the field engineer said to replace parts that were moonshots. But that's not his fault the transmission was poorly designed and they were all bad (even new) and exhibited the problem. For this case, it was cheaper to continue to throw out a known bad product with low take rate (manual trans) and eat the few buybacks than actually fix the design issue. :(

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Got a set of one winter used snow tires that fit the 19 inch wheels from a nice dad whose son moved to where it doesn't snow. Thanks for loving your son enough to buy $800 worth of tires and selling them to me for $135 a set. Now I just need the car and some snow.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
2012 Boss or a 2015/16 GT with performance pack?

Finding that they are about the same price, with about the same mileage (10-20k).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The new GT is going to be much nicer interior wise, and will handle better, but the Boss gets the bonus of REVS and best god damned stock exhaust note ever. (Assuming the side pipe restrictors are taken out.)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Are either of them lemons? :v:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The difference in quality between a lemon ford and a non lemon ford is negligible.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Why was the prospective car a lemon?

Anyone answer that yet?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Who cares about the lemon car.

The 302 is a pretty sick car and if you don't care about the upgrades the s550 brings I would say go for it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Dinurth posted:

2012 Boss or a 2015/16 GT with performance pack?

Finding that they are about the same price, with about the same mileage (10-20k).

2016 GT/PP, without a doubt.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Hey guys I did a mod

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

It so cleeeeeeeeeeeeean.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Digital_Jesus posted:

It so cleeeeeeeeeeeeean.

What do you mean? It looks like someone got pee all over it!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
That's the first time I ever zoomed in on a picture and went "Huh, wait a sec"

I knew one of you lived near me but forgot it was you. If I see you I'll honk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Cage posted:

Hey guys I did a mod

That looks like a glarebomb.