Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

RedSpider posted:

Thats the problem, there is none. That civil war has been going on for six years now and she hasn't given an answer on Assad.

You flat-out said that she wants regime change two posts ago. My God, man, have some self-respect and admit that you were wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Nothing makes me side-eye white American leftists more than spending months (rightfully) saying the democrats need to field better candidates and then floating Tulsi loving Gabbard.

Hey man, you're the one that wants an old white lady to run again. :smug:

Majorian posted:

You flat-out said that she wants regime change two posts ago. My God, man, have some self-respect and admit that you were wrong.

I don't really see it that way. Why won't she publicly say no to regime change in Syria?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

RedSpider posted:

I don't really see it that way. Why won't she publicly say no to regime change in Syria?

This is what you posted:

RedSpider posted:

You're making GBS threads me, right? She says Assad needs to be 'handled' and removed. Supporting Assad's stay is career suicide in the DNC right now.

E; Jesus, she just toured Afghanistan.

Stop trying to distract from the fact that you couldn't back up this claim.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Majorian posted:

This is what you posted:

Stop trying to distract from the fact that you couldn't back up this claim.

Okay, I worded that poorly. I admit it. Now, answer my question please?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RedSpider posted:

Here's a prose tip: when you use quotation marks it generally implies you're quoting someone rather than projecting your assumptions on their lack of a statement.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

RedSpider posted:

The reason why she hasn't said no to regime change in Syria is because, if Assad decides to start launching more chemical attacks against civilians, she would end up looking pretty stupid to a lot of voters. At this point, her criticizing the Trump administration's interventionism is a perfectly adequate response from her.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't really understand the point of this particular discussion with regard to a theoretical future version of the Democrats that could be considered anything better than a complete loving waste.

Why should the American left be so very concerned about the fate of a doomed country in the middle east, exactly? I can't see much reason for the average person to give a poo poo what happens to Syria when they've got no healthcare and are making $4/hour or whatever the minimum wage in most of America is. I think enough people are getting wise to the fact that this is just going to be the way of things for a long long time in the parts of the world that are getting hosed over by climate change the worst. Whatever pitiful influence the American left can momentarily pull together before being torn apart by infighting should probably be directed toward worrying about what's going on inside the country rather than on the other side of the world.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

ChairMaster posted:

I don't really understand the point of this particular discussion with regard to a theoretical future version of the Democrats that could be considered anything better than a complete loving waste.

Why should the American left be so very concerned about the fate of a doomed country in the middle east, exactly? I can't see much reason for the average person to give a poo poo what happens to Syria when they've got no healthcare and are making $4/hour or whatever the minimum wage in most of America is. I think enough people are getting wise to the fact that this is just going to be the way of things for a long long time in the parts of the world that are getting hosed over by climate change the worst. Whatever pitiful influence the American left can momentarily pull together before being torn apart by infighting should probably be directed toward worrying about what's going on inside the country rather than on the other side of the world.

I dunno man, why does the left care about things that aren't them personally? Crazypants

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

ChairMaster posted:

Help me understand how this goes against the idea that America shouldn't be intervening in the Middle East then

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tulsi's behavior re:Syria indicates she is probably on the take with Putin, which is a good enough to reason to never let her sniff higher office.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

dont even fink about it posted:

Tulsi's behavior re:Syria indicates she is probably on the take with Putin, which is a good enough to reason to never let her sniff higher office.

The neo-McCarthyist has entered the thread.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Here's a better reason not to run Gabbard, literally no one outside of this forum has heard of her.

Running a total unknown versus an incumbent candidate is not a recipe for success.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm willing to entertain other arguments as to why Tulsi's rhetoric on Syria matches RT's exactly, and why she ignored all diplomatic and government conventions to do publicity work for Assad with Dennis Kucinich, who for his part has gone one step further and become a Trump surrogate.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I'm willing to entertain other arguments as to why Tulsi's rhetoric on Syria matches RT's exactly, and why she ignored all diplomatic and government conventions to do publicity work for Assad with Dennis Kucinich, who for his part has gone one step further and become a Trump surrogate.

Oh my god please don't.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I don't give a gently caress what some rear end in a top hat said about some other Indian rear end in a top hat if she promises to give my family healthcare and better jobs, tbqh

ChairMaster posted:

loving exactly, these comfortable corporate/college "leftists" will learn this soon enough. Nobody gives a gently caress about Syria and no one in America will ever change their votes because of it when they're loving dying due to cops, opiates, and lack of money. Maslow's hierarchy is a bitch.

call to action fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 6, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

call to action posted:

I don't give a gently caress what some rear end in a top hat said about some other Indian rear end in a top hat if she promises to give my family healthcare and better jobs, tbqh

Hey, remember when you wanted me to quote you saying something regressive?

"gently caress them if I'm gonna get mine" isn't a good look.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Hey, remember when you wanted me to quote you saying something regressive?

"gently caress them if I'm gonna get mine" isn't a good look.

Red text me with it then, rear end in a top hat. We need economic populism now if we want to avoid full on fascism. The next crash will bring fascism to the US if we don't try to stop it now.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Hey everybody, just popping in to say you can stop debating this, good old Mark Penn has the answers for you!

Back to the Center, Democrats posted:

The path back to power for the Democratic Party today, as it was in the 1990s, is unquestionably to move to the center and reject the siren calls of the left, whose policies and ideas have weakened the party.

Easily lost in today’s divided politics is that only a little more than a quarter of Americans consider themselves liberals, while almost three in four are self-identified moderates or conservatives. Yet moderate viewpoints are being given short shrift in the presidential nominating process. So Democrats should change their rules to eliminate all caucuses in favor of primaries. Caucuses are largely undemocratic because they give disproportionate power to left-leaning activists, making thousands of Democrats in Kansas more influential than millions of people in Florida.

Americans are looking for can-do Democrats in the mold of John F. Kennedy and Bill Clinton — leaders who rose above partisanship to unify the country, who defended human rights and equality passionately, and who also encouraged economic growth and rising wages. That is the road back to relevance, and the White House, for the Democrats.

You heard it folks!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mozi posted:

Hey everybody, just popping in to say you can stop debating this, good old Mark Penn has the answers for you!

You heard it folks!

This is why I cringe at people hoping Trump gets impeached or even killed. There's a lot of non-trump republicans you could see Very Serious Democrats compromising with.

Trump at least makes it clear that they're all horrible, whereas I could see Pence appealing to career democrats obsessed with looking professional and adult. Keep on posting WWE memes, president.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 6, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mozi posted:

You heard it folks!

The thing that gives me hope is that all of the comments are calling it out as loving insane.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

WampaLord posted:

The thing that gives me hope is that all of the comments are calling it out as loving insane.

Why would that give you hope?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Why would that give you hope?

That even NYT readers are realizing that centrism is a loving dying ideology.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Mozi posted:

You heard it folks!
I like how the cowards can't name a government program to cut and want to defend Obama care. No actual ideas offered beyond that Sanders and Warren are too "extreme ".

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

WampaLord posted:

That even NYT readers are realizing that centrism is a loving dying ideology.

The opinion of the public has little to zero interaction with what the democratic party leadership and commentators do or say, as well as having almost no impact on policy.

Cool to watch them get roasted all the same, though.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Upthread it was asked what could be done to win 2018 and a lot of obvious answers were given, so I figure I'd Xpost a less obvious point:

Neurolimal posted:

There's also the issue where republicans are much, much better at motivating their base. It doesn't matter if you have twice the other parties' registrations if only a third of them are interested in actually voting for the party candidate.

What needs to happen is exactly what core democrat officials don't want: open up the primaries, push for registered members to vote in them, and encourage opposing candidates. Supporting a primary candidate results in much heavier investment in said candidate, as well as a greater perception that the result is a legit representation of the party. Nobody is convinced by a suit being airdropped into Georgia.

I mean, it's a big part of why Corbyn had the rapt attention of the youth vote, and gave Labour a stronger leader by weeding out the Kendalls and Coopers.

Contrary to what centrist dems would have you believe, contested primaries are exactly what result in stronger candidates, and its ironic that the officials most likely to believe in a Free Market would be so opposed to the biggest regulators in that concept (competition). It's what weeds out people like Cruz and Jeb!.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

The opinion of the public has little to zero interaction with what the democratic party leadership and commentators do or say, as well as having almost no impact on policy.

The opinion of the public has a lot to do with how they vote, though.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

WampaLord posted:

The opinion of the public has a lot to do with how they vote, though.

Sorta, but that usually doesn't get translated into policy anyway (unless you are rich)

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Cool to watch them get roasted all the same, though.

It will when we primary all of their asses

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

Probably a little more complex than that.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Feldegast42 posted:

Serious question, how often has running a primary candidate from the left against an incumbent worked? I can think of one or two examples locally, but nationally the only example I can think of just ran as independent and won anyways.

twodot fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 6, 2017

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I hear Seth Rich was gonna expose this and then he turned up dead.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

call to action posted:

Red text me with it then, rear end in a top hat. We need economic populism now if we want to avoid full on fascism. The next crash will bring fascism to the US if we don't try to stop it now.

So your solution is to nominate someone who is both mostly unknown, and also has some really execrable opinions that would turn off a sizable portion of the Democratic base. Brilliant.

And also your opinions on Gabbard are pretty FYGM.

Mozi posted:

You heard it folks!

Holy :lol: Not a hint of self-awareness in him, is there?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

So your solution is to nominate someone who is both mostly unknown, and also has some really execrable opinions that would turn off a sizable portion of the Democratic base. Brilliant.

I'm not sure you have the best track record at predicting what's going to happen re: voter response

If wanting my American brothers, sisters, and non-conforming individuals of all races and ethnicities to succeed even if we can't save everyone else in other countries is FYGM, then I guess I'm FYGM.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Neurolimal posted:

Economic leftism does not need to be colorblind. Neither do we have to ignore the fact that generic economic leftism will help black communities, even if it will not help them as equally as white communities.

Actually, it will help them more, as minorities have disproportionately higher rates of extreme poverty, hunger, lack of healthcare, etc.. They will realize the biggest personal improvements, and faster.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

call to action posted:

I'm not sure you have the best track record at predicting what's going to happen re: voter response

If wanting my American brothers, sisters, and non-conforming individuals of all races and ethnicities to succeed even if we can't save everyone else in other countries is FYGM, then I guess I'm FYGM.

Yeah I bet you're real supportive of your races and ethnicities in regards to known Islamaphobe Tulsi Gabbard

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

I dunno man, why does the left care about things that aren't them personally? Crazypants

I understand your argument here, but this logic has a limit. If you take "America shouldn't prioritize its citizens over people in other countries" to its logical conclusion, then America should redirect a huge portion, if not all, of its current safety net spending (as well as other spending) towards poor countries (since a person living in poverty in a third world nation is usually worse off than a person living in poverty in the US). In practice this is a dumb idea, because less money directed to American citizens would end up harming domestic economic productivity and result in less to spend in the long term (without risk of an excessive increase in inflation, at least).

In theory I'm all for removing borders and eliminating the existence of separate countries, but until that happens nations should prioritize the people who live there (and this includes undocumented immigrants in my opinion, since they also contribute to the domestic economy).

One other thing that really rubs me the wrong way about this sort of argument is that it's usually made by liberals who never apply the same logic to the issue of dramatically raising taxes, instituting a wealth tax, or anything else that would significantly decrease domestic wealth inequality. They'll argue in favor of sweatshops because the people living in those countries might be technically better off than if there were no foreign investment at all, but they never bring up the idea of just taxing the wealth of the rich and greatly increasing its redistribution to the poor. As a result, it ends up coming off like a concern troll argument rather than serious concern for the global poor.

call to action posted:

Honest question - aside from supporting Bernie, what has Gabbard said that makes you think she's particularly leftist? I haven't seen any rhetoric from her that differs significantly from a number of other Democrats (on the topic of economic leftism, that is), and she doesn't really have much of a history of advocating for leftist causes so I don't see any reason to place much trust in her.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 6, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

call to action posted:

I've been correct on every election call I've made over the past several years, except for Hillary losing - which is obviously an important one, but come on, even Trump was sure he was going to lose. So I'm not sure this is quite the zing you think it is.

quote:

Except for, you know, Gabbard being anti-marriage equality and being extremely likely to crack down on Muslim civil liberties if she's elected to the presidency.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah I bet you're real supportive of your races and ethnicities in regards to known Islamaphobe Tulsi Gabbard

At least I didn't vote for a slaveowner

Ytlaya posted:

Honest question - aside from supporting Bernie, what has Gabbard said that makes you think she's particularly leftist? I haven't seen any rhetoric from her that differs significantly from a number of other Democrats (on the topic of economic leftism, that is), and she doesn't really have much of a history of advocating for leftist causes so I don't see any reason to place much trust in her.

She supports single payer and all the idiots who are always wrong about poo poo hate her, which is pretty much good enough for me.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

call to action posted:

She supports single payer and all the idiots who are always wrong about poo poo hate her, which is pretty much good enough for me.

Then you're an idiot who really shouldn't vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

Then you're an idiot who really shouldn't vote.

Aww, but I do. And I live in a swing state, too!

• Locked thread