Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Powered Descent posted:

I once got my carry-on selected for a random explosives swabbing.

My carry-on was a mesh-sided cat carrier that clearly and obviously contained a living cat and nothing else.

I have no idea what they thought they were looking for.

Is this your cat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I got a pat-down the last time I flew because I didn't think you would need to also remove paper from your pockets. I had my boarding pass folded up in my pocket and they even asked if I had paper in my pockets when I went through the scanner and they saw it, but after I took it out they went for a pat-down and wand anyway.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I once ended up in some bumfuck airport in the outback of Australia, where the friendly security official woman dug through my backpack and found a screwdriver that had been somehow stuck/concealed in the cushioning fabric. My first reaction was surprise and glee that the screwdriver I thought I had lost was finally back, then I realized the backpack had gone through a total of 14 security checkpoints between Germany, Singapore, and Australia on the entirety of that trip.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
im the dangling propane tank

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Jesus Christ posted:

im the dangling propane tank

suicide is something you wanna rube goldberg a little.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I once ended up in some bumfuck airport in the outback of Australia, where the friendly security official woman dug through my backpack and found a screwdriver that had been somehow stuck/concealed in the cushioning fabric. My first reaction was surprise and glee that the screwdriver I thought I had lost was finally back, then I realized the backpack had gone through a total of 14 security checkpoints between Germany, Singapore, and Australia on the entirety of that trip.

The last time I flew down to D.C. I forgot to take my work gear out of my backpack. Cleveland TSA let me right through without a second glance, but on the way home the guys in D.C. saw something they needed to check out. I initially thought it would be the random tangled mass of 50' patch cables or my screwdriver, then a few moments later realized I also had a knife in there.

The problematic item was my toothpaste. Too large of a container.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
That's why we call it security theater guys.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Lost toothpaste at TSA, let my braid scissors for fishing through. On the same trip.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I've been on the Channel Tunnel and it is quite airport-like at the terminals.

I went though a barrier and ended up at the security check before I realised. It was with horror that I remembered that my case had two 1.5litre bottles of water in them.

Horror turned to near-panic as I then discovered that I still had my Swiss Army knife in my pocket.

Trembling, I apologetically pointed this out to the security staff, expecting the rubber glove treatment.

They smiled, said 'no problem' and waved me and my massive bottles of liquid and sharp object onto the train.

Took me quite a while to realise that something is seriously wrong when you've normalised getting treated so badly at a transportation terminal.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Pander posted:

PCB is trans-fat free!
I'm doing a distribution study for a complex that has splices in drat never every EM. Guess their #1 mode of system failure!

Not that I can really tell, my walkdowns are strictly visual and I don't do anything more than look into the manholes. So I just see this and have to kinda trust everything's in order under that tape.

I like the resistive-grounded Wye power systems when you're at medium voltages like 4160V or 7kV or 14kV. On the transformer you run the neutral to earth via a really big-assed resistor that's sized to handle a thousand amps or so for ten seconds.

So if you do have a line-to-ground fault it won't be nearly as spectacular and you should have plenty of time for your overcurrent relay element to assert and shut down the faulted area. With a straight delta system there is no ground reference so if you do have a phase get grounded you need to find and fix it before another phase goes to ground and then you get some real fireworks.

Only for medium voltage, though. I don't think you would ever do that on a 600/347, 480/277, or 208/120 low-voltage system.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Three-Phase posted:

I like the resistive-grounded Wye power systems when you're at medium voltages like 4160V or 7kV or 14kV. On the transformer you run the neutral to earth via a really big-assed resistor that's sized to handle a thousand amps or so for ten seconds.

So if you do have a line-to-ground fault it won't be nearly as spectacular and you should have plenty of time for your overcurrent relay element to assert and shut down the faulted area. With a straight delta system there is no ground reference so if you do have a phase get grounded you need to find and fix it before another phase goes to ground and then you get some real fireworks.

Only for medium voltage, though. I don't think you would ever do that on a 600/347, 480/277, or 208/120 low-voltage system.
I mean, how long would a medium voltage ground fault before tripping something upstream? I can't fathom that persisting long enough to cause another phase to ground, but then again I only tend to work on systems that have been competently coordinated.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Spatial posted:

Lame, blow up the executive office of Boeing or something instead.

Just not between 8 and 830 am, I walk by there every work day.

Their maintenance guys literally squee the granite facings.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Pander posted:

I mean, how long would a medium voltage ground fault before tripping something upstream? I can't fathom that persisting long enough to cause another phase to ground, but then again I only tend to work on systems that have been competently coordinated.

In a delta system, theoretically one phase could be ground faulted indefinitely. That's the whole idea and that made ungrounded systems popular at places like factories and mills where you don't want to shut down unexpectedly. So what happens is you have a ground fault, it's detected, and as soon as you can you find and fix the problem. If a single phase is grounded on an ungrounded system there is some current flow (capacitive coupling) but it's very small.

It depends a lot on the fault too - like with one crappy connection you could get a fault on one phase, by with a stalled motor that's badly overloaded and not properly protected/coordinated you could have faults sorta propagate. One phase arcs to ground then suddenly two are all three are blasted.

With the resistor grounding system you can put a single current transformer to measure ground current and have that trip the feeder breaker when a significant amount of current starts to flow through the resistor.

On a regular grounded and properly coordinated system it would trip pretty quick but there are cases where there still could be damage depending on the impedance in the circuit. So in a grounded system you may have 10,000 amps for a quarter of a second versus 1,000 amps for maybe half or one second where the source transformer secondary has a resistive ground that limits fault current. (EDIT: I mean the neutral of the secondary, wye connection, is connected to earth via a resistor.)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 7, 2017

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

One time about 10 years ago I got a very puzzled look from the TSA agent watching the X-ray machine. He called someone else over, they discussed for a minute, then asked if they could look in my bag. Turns out there was a paint can opener that I didn't know had been left in there, so I told them they could keep it. They said "No, it's fine. It's not on the list so you can have it on the plane." I had no idea the list was explicit.

I mean, it's basically a flat blade screwdriver, which is on the list, but it isn't so it's cool.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
On the way to deploy from Vegas to Killeen, they took my Knipex pliers wrench at McCarran.

Overall length of 6.25 inches. Just too long, could've hurt someone with that. On my flight full of soldiers. That are all getting on together. As a unit.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I get funny questions about rocks on a regular basis. Yes, that is a bag of rocks. No, just rocks. Yes, you can search my rocks. They're rocks. Yes, you can swab my rocks for explosives.

Seriously, you can do whatever you want to them. They're rocks.

Pro-tip though: when you're bringing through certain types of rocks, do not use their technical names. Friend of mine spent about four hours in a TSA backroom because he referred to some volcanic bombs he had in his checked luggage coming back from Hawaii.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Memento posted:

I get funny questions about rocks on a regular basis. Yes, that is a bag of rocks. No, just rocks. Yes, you can search my rocks. They're rocks. Yes, you can swab my rocks for explosives.

Seriously, you can do whatever you want to them. They're rocks.

Pro-tip though: when you're bringing through certain types of rocks, do not use their technical names. Friend of mine spent about four hours in a TSA backroom because he referred to some volcanic bombs he had in his checked luggage coming back from Hawaii.

Ooh are those the fancy crystal energy rocks that can like balance psychic power and Chee and things like that?!

Also does Tourmaline taste like watermelon if you lick it?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Memento posted:

Pro-tip though: when you're bringing through certain types of rocks, do not use their technical names.

No kidding.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Of all the nerds in this thread I think geology nerds are my favorite.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Zil posted:

Sure nothing bad will happen here.

This is from a few pages back, but I believe those displays are just empty boxes taped together. It's not literally a ton of soda.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Three-Phase posted:

Ooh are those the fancy crystal energy rocks that can like balance psychic power and Chee and things like that?!

Also does Tourmaline taste like watermelon if you lick it?

lol

The vast majority of Tourmaline is actually jet black (sodium-iron endmember, commonly called schorl) and it's known as a "garbage can" mineral in geoscience. Basically every element in the rock will make its way into the tourmaline, and this can make it fairly useful for determining provenance (pressure/temperature of formation, chronology, fluid composition etc).

Please don't lick rocks unless you know what you're doing because sometimes they contain things that don't play well with human biology. And if you do lick a rock and it tastes like watermelon, please see your doctor as you might be having a stroke.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Memento posted:

Some years ago I got a quantity of fine-grained magnetite. The stuff's great, it's basically like a dry sand version of ferrofluid. (Google "magnetic sand" if you want to see it in action with a magnet.) Anyway, at some point, I showed the stuff to my girlfriend when she came to visit and she fell in love with it. I had plenty so I gave her a jar of it to take home.

It occurred to me after I'd dropped her off at the airport that I'd just sent her to the security checkpoint with a fair-sized jar of an unlabeled black powder in her carry-on.

The TSA didn't bat an eye and let it right through.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Whenever I see this, I have to wonder about the "Others". "Here in Albuquerque, we calls it Sodie-Coke, dagnabbit!".

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I've seen this fairly often. Not 100% of the time, but ever since they stopped doing the V-cut thing, some staff just get lazy and cut the bread completely in half.

I wonder if the old "protest the end of the u-gouge" website is still on line. I can't find it anymore.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

DiHK posted:

Of all the nerds in this thread I think geology nerds are my favorite.

I use my lava bomb/assorted opals to hold down my napkins during cookouts:

edit: All three have been snuck through airport security to get them out of Iceland.

Ornamental Dingbat fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 7, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hobnob posted:

Whenever I see this, I have to wonder about the "Others". "Here in Albuquerque, we calls it Sodie-Coke, dagnabbit!"

"Soft drink."

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Three-Phase posted:

It's spelled "Chi", to spare you embarassment in the future.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/001gEpY.mp4

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

trapped mouse posted:

It's spelled "Chi", to spare you embarassment in the future.

Ohhh. Good to know. Also this isn't for me but are there crystals or ways to adjust charkaras to help cure things like someone's erectile dysfunction?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o9rmfnnOF51sk1f5l.mp4

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Definitely time to run like hell, that will be an explosive inferno in just a few minutes with the stuff next to it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

That's gotta be an arson charge

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

MausoleumExtremist posted:

I use my lava bomb/assorted opals to hold down my napkins during cookouts:

edit: All three have been snuck through airport security to get them out of Iceland.

Those are some tall boys you got in that reflection. Anyway, my uncle (trained paleontologist, working geologist) collects "trash" pieces of flagstone(or maybe it's sandstone?) with ancient footprints from a quarry owned my some cousins in Arizona. Sells them for many times the rocks worth as coffee tables.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

DiHK posted:

Those are some tall boys you got in that reflection. Anyway, my uncle (trained paleontologist, working geologist) collects "trash" pieces of flagstone(or maybe it's sandstone?) with ancient footprints from a quarry owned my some cousins in Arizona. Sells them for many times the rocks worth as coffee tables.

I live in an area of NE Ohio that's, like, exclusively sandstone. I was at a bonfire once where the host had built a rock wall around the firepit out of local sandstone farmers had been tossing out of their fields. One night he had a particularly hot fire burning, and one of the sandstone chunks cracked and split from the heat. Inside there was a perfect, large, brachiopod fossil. I was amazed (I grew up in SW Ohio where the limestone was full of fossils usually) because I was kind of taught that sandstone almost never contains fossils (at least in this area). Unfortunately, I was too drunk to remember to pick it up and bring it home, and it was lost forever.

That's my sandstone story.

E: And Three Phase, you're a treasure to this thread. I've learned more about electricity from you in the last couple hundred pages than I have my entire life. Thanks dude!

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 7, 2017

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Spatial posted:

Definitely time to run like hell, that will be an explosive inferno in just a few minutes with the stuff next to it.

Yeah, I'm hoping that whoever took the video didn't think it was much until they turned the corner then it took a couple seconds to process before they turned and sprinted away, as you can see the sane person doing about half-way through.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Well, that's definitely a convenient place for a bottled water display.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Spatial posted:

Think about this: what if they had a thin vertical metal partition between each part of the display? So you could stack packs facing outwards but they would not be in "side by side" contact.

My hypothesis is that could dramatically reduce the speed at which that kind of fire would spread through the display for minimal additional cost.

Anyone do FDS (fire dynamics simulation)?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/carbinekane/status/882981490337992707

Result: $1000 fine.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Three-Phase posted:

Think about this: what if they had a thin vertical metal partition between each part of the display? So you could stack packs facing outwards but they would not be in "side by side" contact.

My hypothesis is that could dramatically reduce the speed at which that kind of fire would spread through the display for minimal additional cost.

Anyone do FDS (fire dynamics simulation)?

i'm sorry, did you just say "cost"? we don't have room in our budget for that sort of frivolous nonsense

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why use expensive metal when you can use cheap polyurethane foam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I like this angle with the dude just casually strolling away, carrying flowers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOyvwLH1asw

Also from the fire department press release:

quote:

Firefighters were able to put the fire out before it spread to a nearby row of charcoal lighter fluid and propane bottles, McDade said.