Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I just push my buttons real hard and hope for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Kongming posted:

The worst times I've ever had in an MMO is when everyone is too polite to tell someone they seriously suck poo poo and need to improve because they're holding everyone else back. Sometimes someone has to be the rear end in a top hat.

Those assholes have helped me a better player.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ImpAtom posted:

Not really in my experience. A 15 minute run where things go a little slower is better than a 15 minute run where things go slower still because two people are sniping at each other in chat.

It really depends though. Going slower is fine. Somebody not paying attention to a major mechanic like "the bomb" in wow can wipe the whole raid and its not worth just wiping it over and over hoping the stars align and that person doesn't get targeted. Sometimes you gotta tell people to pay attention, but in a nice way.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

homeless snail posted:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
About 50% of why I quit raiding was because replacing people is just a never-ending revolving door of poo poo--kick one shitter out, get another shitter two weeks later after pugging your eighth for a while (the other 50% was that holy poo poo it is impossible to get eight people to all show up on time every week). Cross-world PF presumably would have fixed that but I was long done by that point. I probably would have quit anyways even if my static wasn't crap because that was Gordias and we hadn't even hit A3S yet.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 6, 2017

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Holyshoot posted:

so they cant give us a real threat meter with numbers because?

there is no 'cant', they dont want to

Holyshoot posted:

When a tank has 900k threat and the second highest has 600k, on the SE threat meter it looks like to the DPS they are super close to the tank. So they freak out and use a threat drop when it isn't needed.

unless dps are supposed to take agro at some point, I don't see why encouraging dps to use threat drops is a bad thing

KoB
May 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I finished leveling up my tank class and hoo boy are there some terrible healers out there. I don't nag because it's pointless but it drives me nuts when I get a White Mage who never casts Holy or Assize or who just sits there doing nothing if they don't need to heal.

You can tell the good healers because theyre the ones that make the orbs explode before reaching DPS in Temple of the Fist.

FrozenMeats
Apr 28, 2003

Preserved for the ages.

cheetah7071 posted:

About 50% of why I quit raiding was because replacing people is just a never-ending revolving door of poo poo--kick one shitter out, get another shitter two weeks later after pugging your eighth for a while (the other 50% was that holy poo poo it is impossible to get eight people to all show up on time every week). Cross-world PF presumably would have fixed that but I was long done by that point. I probably would have quit anyways even if my static wasn't crap because that was Gordias and we hadn't even hit A3S yet.

Going back to WoW... getting 40 people to show up regularly was a chore. That and raid bosses in FFIX taking hours or in some cases days to kill. It's definitely a different world now.

Trying to do Susano/Lakshmi Ex as a solo dps is slowly killing my soul. At least I'm getting my crafting/gathering up again.

Feeling any SAM envy fellow DRG buddy? They seem to put out stupid numbers and have much more forgiving class mechanics...

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
If the run is 20 mins or less I'm good. If it isn't I just sigh internally and power through it. That blm incident was a rarity for me. I want my comms! I am noticing a lot more dps healers then honest healers which is nice.

When I did my delta I had to pug one healer for all four through DF and every single one was throwing out some sick damage.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FrozenMeats posted:

Going back to WoW... getting 40 people to show up regularly was a chore. That and raid bosses in FFIX taking hours or in some cases days to kill. It's definitely a different world now.

Trying to do Susano/Lakshmi Ex as a solo dps is slowly killing my soul. At least I'm getting my crafting/gathering up again.

Feeling any SAM envy fellow DRG buddy? They seem to put out stupid numbers and have much more forgiving class mechanics...

Until SAM can shoot dragon lasers it's a no-sell

We're gonna get buffed in 4.05 anyways, I can feel it. I'm expecting some sort of change to the LotD mechanic (though there's so many directions they could take it it's hard to predict), yet another buff to full thrust (500 here we come!) and yet another reduction to jump's animation lock because they do that every time they touch dragoon.

e: I actually really enjoy optimizing LotD, though I wish you got more of a reward for doing it right. The difference between loving up horribly and doing it all perfectly is less than a thousand potency every 80 seconds.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

FrozenMeats posted:

As someone who raided back in Vanilla, how the gently caress did we ever manage to get 40 people raiding at the same time? It's loving baffling to me.

At one point my guild was running simultaneous Molten Core runs. 80 loving people raiding at once. I don't know how we did it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So I read earlier that rolling only on the thing you want in Omega is a dick move. Why? I want to see if I'm gonna get what I wanted. If not, then I'll just roll on the rest (cause gently caress if I'm gonna do poo poo multiple times in the very first week). But multiple times have I forgotten the way things worked, gotten something I didn't want, and then got locked out of the thing I actually wanted because of the way everyone else voted. Is it just like...poor form to have a "Got mine gently caress yall" mindset? Cause that is not a deterrent considering the way the poo poo loot system works.

homeless snail posted:

:same:

I tried being super into my DPS, but it doesn't matter. I've hit enrage like 10000x less than I've experienced a wipe because of deaths or mechanics done poorly.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SonicRulez posted:

So I read earlier that rolling only on the thing you want in Omega is a dick move. Why? I want to see if I'm gonna get what I wanted. If not, then I'll just roll on the rest (cause gently caress if I'm gonna do poo poo multiple times in the very first week). But multiple times have I forgotten the way things worked, gotten something I didn't want, and then got locked out of the thing I actually wanted because of the way everyone else voted. Is it just like...poor form to have a "Got mine gently caress yall" mindset? Cause that is not a deterrent considering the way the poo poo loot system works.

:same:

I tried being super into my DPS, but it doesn't matter. I've hit enrage like 10000x less than I've experienced a wipe because of deaths or mechanics done poorly.

The problem is that if everybody does it then you just sit there for five minutes waiting for the loot timer

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Pro tactics are passing everything but the thing you want and letting the dudes who roll on everything get their weekly first.

Less competition for the thing you actually want.

e: also if everything but the thing you want drops to the floor you know you're in for a fight.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Pro tactics are dumb, I just need what I want and pass on everything else and alt tab if someone is playing silly buggers v:shobon:v

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Mordiceius posted:

As someone who raided back in Vanilla, how the gently caress did we ever manage to get 40 people raiding at the same time? It's loving baffling to me.

At one point my guild was running simultaneous Molten Core runs. 80 loving people raiding at once. I don't know how we did it.

Problem was raiding back in Vanilla WoW you had half the raid carrying the other half and you always over recruited so you had 50+ members with some to spare incase if some members in your core raid team were missing.

Also, have what may be the reason why the servers be going down tonight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Is it just like...poor form to have a "Got mine gently caress yall" mindset?

Yes? You're forcing literally everyone, even the people not doing that, to linger for five minutes dealing with your lame rear end.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The real pro tactic is to not worry about getting your gear marginally earlier and just roll on everything that would be useful to you

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I think the normal mode token system sucks but it confounds me that between three free companies of goons, six to eight people are having trouble getting together and saying "hey a couple of nights this week lets run Omega for an hour and try to get everyone tokens".

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it's not that surprising, half the reason people don't raid is because they hate scheduling their video game leisure time, even if they'd be playing 3x as much as that anyway.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Lemon King posted:

Also, have what may be the reason why the servers be going down tonight.

Huh, I remember people posting screens of similar hair colors (and pitch black skin tone) around 4.0, saying that it got patched out. I'm guessing that's not the case, whatever that is?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I might actually see if I can get into a casual static that raids one night a week and doesn't really care if they don't make it all the way to the end of the tier each patch, assuming omega savage is around creator difficulty

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Oh, that makes sense. I can imagine that must suck for someone who's rolled on a foot piece or whatever and can't get it because person #5 decided to try and wait me out on the chest piece. I'm still gonna do it, because "Got mine, gently caress y'all" but I get it.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

you suck

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Countblanc posted:

it's not that surprising, half the reason people don't raid is because they hate scheduling their video game leisure time, even if they'd be playing 3x as much as that anyway.

This is exactly the reason I stopped raiding. I hated scheduling around video games. Short puggable raid content is totally my poo poo.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Rainuwastaken posted:

Huh, I remember people posting screens of similar hair colors (and pitch black skin tone) around 4.0, saying that it got patched out. I'm guessing that's not the case, whatever that is?

That was me, shortly after I had made that post I found another bug.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

pubbies.txt

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
There's only one ability macro I will ever abide, and it's a MNK parroting the Erupting Burning Finger during LB3.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Coerthas and the work towards Garuda is beginning to annoy me almost as much as the Titan arc. "gently caress you filthy foreigner, do some tedious fetch quests and collect some bear asses so I can give you a letter to go see the next guy who will make you do exactly the same thing" repeated half a dozen times.

Game's making me really want to not save any of these assholes.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Renegret posted:

pubbies.txt

I'm Ravana, just coming up with an excuse to not be in the same room as that guy any longer.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cythereal posted:

Coerthas and the work towards Garuda is beginning to annoy me almost as much as the Titan arc. "gently caress you filthy foreigner, do some tedious fetch quests and collect some bear asses so I can give you a letter to go see the next guy who will make you do exactly the same thing" repeated half a dozen times.

Game's making me really want to not save any of these assholes.

Nobody would blame you (well, except Verranicus but you can safely ignore them) if you skipped cutscenes until somewhere around Leviathan

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 6, 2017

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Coughing Hobo posted:

There's only one ability macro I will ever abide, and it's a MNK parroting the Erupting Burning Finger during LB3.

back in the 2.x days I challenged myself to come up with the most over the top and ridiculous resurrection macro.

I ultimately failed because no matter how stupid I made it, it still read like a completely vanilla pubbie macro.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Lemon King posted:

That was me, shortly after I had made that post I found another bug.

Tell me your secrets.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Renegret posted:

back in the 2.x days I challenged myself to come up with the most over the top and ridiculous resurrection macro.

I ultimately failed because no matter how stupid I made it, it still read like a completely vanilla pubbie macro.

And it certainly doesn't matter, both healers will blow swiftcast to Raise the same idiot dead Samurai, meanwhile the Redmage has already Dualcasted Raise five seconds earlier, meanwhile the Dragoon is about to die and the Redmage will dualcast Raise again, meanwhile both healers will hardcast Raise anyway.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cheetah7071 posted:

Nobody would blame you (well, except Verranicus but you can safely ignore them) if you skipped cutscenes until somewhere around Leviathan

This isn't even cutscenes, it's generic meteor quests.

The number one weakness of the FF14 story so far, I feel, really is that I feel like I'm trying to save a bunch of obnoxious, lazy asshats who can't be bothered to get a snack from the buffet table without hiring an adventurer to do it. Counting the class quests I've done, the only NPCs I feel like are even trying to pull their weight in this story are Y'shtola, Thancred, and loving Sylphie.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

FillInTheBlank posted:

Tell me your secrets.

I told Square them. :P

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cythereal posted:

This isn't even cutscenes, it's generic meteor quests.

The number one weakness of the FF14 story so far, I feel, really is that I feel like I'm trying to save a bunch of obnoxious, lazy asshats who can't be bothered to get a snack from the buffet table without hiring an adventurer to do it. Counting the class quests I've done, the only NPCs I feel like are even trying to pull their weight in this story are Y'shtola, Thancred, and loving Sylphie.

That part at least gets fixed by the expansions. Both Heavensward and Stormblood are basically road trips where you go on an adventure with the NPCs du jour and while you're the star, they do stuff too.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Countblanc posted:

I don't raid because I'm constantly bouncing around between activities in the game and doing something sustained for multiple hours is torture. Plus, I don't have have multiple hour blocks available during the week where I can just raid with no break or interruption.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Coughing Hobo posted:

And it certainly doesn't matter, both healers will blow swiftcast to Raise the same idiot dead Samurai, meanwhile the Redmage has already Dualcasted Raise five seconds earlier, meanwhile the Dragoon is about to die and the Redmage will dualcast Raise again, meanwhile both healers will hardcast Raise anyway.

I always feel super bad when I see 3 raises hit me at once. I don't play any healers, but I know a lot of MP and time just got wasted.

Mordiceius posted:

I don't have have multiple hour blocks available during the week where I can just raid with no break or interruption.

This is where I'm at. Hopefully that'll change in the next month or so, because I would actually like to try my hand at savage raiding at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Vitamean posted:

I think the normal mode token system sucks but it confounds me that between three free companies of goons, six to eight people are having trouble getting together and saying "hey a couple of nights this week lets run Omega for an hour and try to get everyone tokens".

Running all 4 raids to get 8 people the tokens they want is really freakin' exhausting. My personal pro-strat is 'need on whatever I want, make no bones about if I get something or not. unless it's a chain/bolt, those are the most translatable tokens GDI why didn't I get a chain or bolt that run.'

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 6, 2017