Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

el oso posted:

I'm going to love Valerian so much but it's going to bomb so hard.

My fiance hates sci fi that isn't Star Wars or Star Trek and is interested in Valerian, so now I'm not sure how it's going to do.

Semi-relatedly she has never seen Blade Runner but despite the sci-fi figured it'd be up her alley so I showed her a trailer on Amazon. It made it look like the world's shittiest 90s direct-to-tv movie Matrix knockoff and more or less killed that idea. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The newest trailer I saw for Valerian was bizarre yesterday. It was cut to look like a kids movie with lots of burp and fart jokes. This was before Minions 3 though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

PotatoManJack posted:

Just on how awesome Keanu is chat,

There's a video that's been around for a while about just how nice and non-ego Keanu is. He often takes public transit / the subway to get around and there's a clip of it where he gives up his seat to a lady or something who had a heavy bag. He also supposedly donates a huge portion of his income to charity.

There's plenty of airport/sidewalk videos of people approaching him, and one time he actually got annoyed with a camera guy and said "you suck". So that's Keanu's version of being a dick.

The subway video is crazy because it looks like he's on his way to a meeting or something, not just going somewhere for fun. You'd think he'd take a car service for something like that .

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Being a total dick on set also killed Val Kilmer's career. Guy was one of the biggest stars in the world in the 90s but by the early 2000s was barely getting DTV work.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Being a total dick on set also killed Val Kilmer's career. Guy was one of the biggest stars in the world in the 90s but by the early 2000s was barely getting DTV work.
Watch Lost Soul. Brando had a reputation for being a dick but got on well with most of the cast and crew of The Island of Dr. Moreau , save the 2nd director. Kilmer on the other hand is described as a schoolyard bully and nobody steps in to defend him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Had he stayed pretty that may have gone differently. He gained like 50lbs, and once the pretty face was gone so were the leading roles.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

Had he stayed pretty that may have gone differently. He gained like 50lbs, and once the pretty face was gone so were the leading roles.

Wasn't there a rumor that he developed a huge drinking problem after Batman Forever?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He was great in Magruber.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked him in Spartan also Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is certainly a classic

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Chicken/egg problem. Did the drinking make him a fat rear end in a top hat nobody wanted to work with, or did he drink because he was an rear end in a top hat that nobody wanted to work with and that made him fat, or does drinking make him an rear end in a top hat, etc...

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Gene Hackman also has a reputation for being a dick.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

Chicken/egg problem. Did the drinking make him a fat rear end in a top hat nobody wanted to work with, or did he drink because he was an rear end in a top hat that nobody wanted to work with and that made him fat, or does drinking make him an rear end in a top hat, etc...

Well, I don't know about the rear end in a top hat part, but the rumour is that he was being treated for cancer and that's what made him swell up.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Did you know that Keanu is Mandarin for Chosen One? :2bong:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gatts posted:

Gene Hackman also has a reputation for being a dick.

Gene Hackman can be whatever he wants.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

Also, his whole career was the result of a bet. Some producer or agent bet another that he could turn anyone into a star. It's the same sort of process that gave us this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKX1EY6dkIY Be warned that that's more or less the worst song ever.

I'd always assumed Segal was a middling martial arts instructor in Hollywood who fell rear end-backwards into a dumb industry client that bought his sensei routine and pulled strings to cast him. Good to know I wasn't too far off.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkskuSXqUD0

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dinosaurs! posted:

I'd always assumed Segal was a middling martial arts instructor in Hollywood who fell rear end-backwards into a dumb industry client that bought his sensei routine and pulled strings to cast him. Good to know I wasn't too far off.
"Did I ever tell you about the time a dog told me my dojo was burning down?"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dinosaurs! posted:

It's a bit like that, but, IIRC, Seagal was the first foreigner to run an Aikido dojo. He did this by marrying the daughter of the dojo's sensei.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Seagal is a punk even to people like me who idolize the notion of badass 80/90s action flicks. He's always been the lowest tier of watchable with no charisma. I think the only passable movie that fits the bill is the one where he hits people with a pool ball over and over.
I vaguely remember him making movies where he aikido flips people from Big Oil playing a native american stereotype as a message. He has legit aikido chops and was apparently one of the first westerners to earn the King Big poo poo title (roughly translated) in Japan, but that did fuckall when the "bullshido" craze swept the combat sports world that started to crack down on everything that wasn't "live" (ie- boxing good because you spar other people to get better, kungfu bad because your teacher tells you never to practice this because it kills people, honest). His Aikido performances turned into pro-wrasslin' where the guys he flips started throwing themselves around comically to prostrate themselves before his movie badass persona.

I also briefly remember him doing some stuff with UFC (not fighting), which is funny considering MMA is about punching people and not fancy dances or phony wristlock tumbles.

.... Ahhh, that lovely Johnny Cage era of cinema where to be a tough guy who does choreography, you actually needed a black belt in something and some amateur fighting record. What horseshit.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 6, 2017

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Seagal has a solid handful of really good action films, and while I wouldn't necessarily say I find him charming I do think he has an entertaining presence. He's low on my list of 80s/90s action stars as well but I wouldn't write him off completely.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Val Kilmer = Best Elvis?

Well, after Bruce Campbell

LesterGroans posted:

Seagal has a solid handful of really good action films, and while I wouldn't necessarily say I find him charming I do think he has an entertaining presence. He's low on my list of 80s/90s action stars as well but I wouldn't write him off completely.

I still really enjoy the first Under Siege. I just watched it the other day and I think it still holds up.

And I still love that the main villain's only defense in the final fight is "wearing a leather jacket"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Seagal had this thing where he never wanted to be seen looking like he was struggling in a 1on1 fight, didn't matter if it was some thug in the first 5 minutes of the movie or the big bad villain at the very end. Typically in his movies the villain never stands a chance against him in an actual physical confrontation.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Alright. Where I can I stream or spend a few dollars on Under Siege 1 and 2. I don't know that I've ever seen a Seagal movie despite my love for Arnold / Willis / JCVD.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Asnorban posted:

Alright. Where I can I stream or spend a few dollars on Under Siege 1 and 2. I don't know that I've ever seen a Seagal movie despite my love for Arnold / Willis / JCVD.

Only place its free right now is HBOGO.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Watch Out For Justice instead.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ugh, Polygon Pictures. I hate their style. Everything always looks really badly frame-y and stiff.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Under Siege 1 is good, but instead of Under Siege 2, I'd watch Out For Justice or Above the Law instead. Those two at least have great villains (William Forsythe and Henry Silva respectively) and Seagal sadistically maims and butchers pretty much anyone he encounters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_An5h3v00Ng

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hard to Kill is my favorite Segal movie, because it has one of the best scenes of the hero turning around the villain's catchphrase in the third act.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I remember a Seanbaby article saying that even in his prime, Seagal ran "like a penguin was kidding".

Seagal also creeped out Katherine Heigl when she was acting with him in Under Siege 2. He said to her that his girlfriend at the time was Heigl's age, and she was 16 at the time.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ruddiger posted:

Under Siege 1 is good, but instead of Under Siege 2, I'd watch Out For Justice or Above the Law instead. Those two at least have great villains (William Forsythe and Henry Silva respectively) and Seagal sadistically maims and butchers pretty much anyone he encounters.

Above the Law also has Pam Grier as a bonus. And Sharon Stone but that doesn't really count because she has next to nothing to do.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQt6r_RCV1M

I just realized the story about getting choked out/pooping one's pants, they totally enacted this tale with Mac on the Alway Sunny episode with "Country Mac." :laffo:

I will say though I LOOOOOOOOVE Under Siege 2 (and the first one also).

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Is this the first Godzilla anime? I can't imagine it is. I'm willing to check that out, though. It could be cool, especially since they won't have costume or realism limitations to work around.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

You're forgetting about this classic anime https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTItRfN-LO8&t=4s

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Ugh, Polygon Pictures. I hate their style. Everything always looks really badly frame-y and stiff.

Yeah that does not look that good at all, animation-wise.

The Godzooky portion always loving gets me. He doesn't even look like he came from the same show, like Hannah-Barbara adult-swimed their own show 40 years ago and badly

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Well alright then. Under Siege tonight and then Out for Justice tomorrow.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

Gene Hackman can be whatever he wants.

When they were younger, struggling thespians Dustin Hoffman and Gene Hackman lived together and hung out with Robert Duvall. They'd go out, eat, drink, be merry - young actors on the cusp.

Occasionally, Gene would get 'intense', as Dustin tells it. He would make his apologies, leave the group... and go look for a fight to get involved in. Invariably, he'd show up the next day, bruised and bloodied, grinning from ear to ear.

I resolved never to mess with Gene, should our paths ever cross, after I heard that

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Which is the Seagal with Erika Eleniak coming out of the cake?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Which is the Seagal with Erika Eleniak coming out of the cake?

Under Siege

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I forget the explanation for why the deadliest guy on the whole ship is the cook but I don't think they dwell on that point for very long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Moreau posted:

When they were younger, struggling thespians Dustin Hoffman and Gene Hackman lived together and hung out with Robert Duvall. They'd go out, eat, drink, be merry - young actors on the cusp.

Occasionally, Gene would get 'intense', as Dustin tells it. He would make his apologies, leave the group... and go look for a fight to get involved in. Invariably, he'd show up the next day, bruised and bloodied, grinning from ear to ear.

I resolved never to mess with Gene, should our paths ever cross, after I heard that

Didn't he get into fistfight with someone over a fender bender like four years ago? Guess it never left him.

• Locked thread