Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Tobey Maguire's original screen test for Spiderman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J61RWkXEKTc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Tobey Maguire's original screen test for Spiderman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J61RWkXEKTc

This makes me think of a Spider-Man that kept a closer tonal similarity with The Fly. Which, as much as I like Raimi's Spider-Men, would be interesting. Play up mental changes rather than just physical.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Drifter posted:

Reeves is talking an awful lot about Chris Nolan but Snyder made the best Batman movie of the two of them. :colbert:

It could have been better if only it wasn't yoked to an "extended universe" like some unwanted fatty tumor

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
it's a three way tie between Batman V Superman, Dark Knight Rises and Batman Returns.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Burkion posted:

You'd think he would have been let in on it regardless if only so that when he made a sequel it wouldn't be tonally inconsistent

But then again what do I know

The best / worst thing about Whedon's Avengers movies was that he just couldn't accept that other designers put together better-looking costumes for Captain America. The one used in The First Avenger is pretty much pitch-perfect, and then Whedon goes, "No, I want something more comics-accurate" and signs off on what looked like a $10 Rubie's costume you'd get from Party City. Then the Russos do a pretty decent job with adapting the Secret Avenger suit (as well as going back to the one from First Avenger), and what does Whedon do for Age of Ultron? Goes right back to a garish piece of poo poo.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

and what does Whedon do for Age of Ultron? Goes right back to a garish piece of poo poo.

Eh, the Age of Ultron suit was a decent halfway between the 1940's paratrooper suit and the cartoonish suit. The strap business was really the best thing they did to the suits to sell them as tactical-looking

edit: VVVV I agree but I also gotta give props to Winter Soldier. The airforce stripes around the star are great and the vents/layers in the rest of his suit really sell "tactical" almost as well as the straps

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 6, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Civil War has the best suit honestly.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They all look fine. I don't really get the big deal over them. The middle one which I assume is Avengers is the least "realistic" of them but that doesn't really bother me at all

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I still think that Tobey Maguire had the perfect look and voice for Spider-Man. I also really like Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland. As far as I'm concerned Spidey has never been badly cast.

Ironically enough out of all media I've seen the only Peter Parker look I've truly hated is McFarlane's.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Even the most buck wild cartoon-rear end cap costume could have been made to work if the director knew how to shoot it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I just re-read Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man #1 and I forgot that it ends with NEXT: PART 2. No poo poo, you idiot.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They all look fine. I don't really get the big deal over them. The middle one which I assume is Avengers is the least "realistic" of them but that doesn't really bother me at all

It looks like a lovely Halloween costume

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Cap changes his fighting style in The Avengers, too. In The First Avenger he's tossing dudes around and loving people up, and then in The Avengers he's doing pirouettes and poo poo.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I still think that Tobey Maguire had the perfect look and voice for Spider-Man. I also really like Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland. As far as I'm concerned Spidey has never been badly cast.

Ironically enough out of all media I've seen the only Peter Parker look I've truly hated is McFarlane's.

They're all very different versions of Peter Parker, none of them feel like one actor copying another, which is nice. Tobey McGuire played the perfect Ditko-era Total Dork Peter Parker, Garfield was really great as a modern version of a John Romita-esque romantic lead, adjusted so that he still comes off as a loser, and Holland feels like a cross between Bendis' two young Spider-Men, complete with extended supporting cast (though still deeply, deeply nerdy).

I like Garfield's the most, but I don't think I begrudge anyone for liking one Parker over the other. I think McGuire suffered a bit in the suit compared to the other two though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Reeves has said that The Batman solo film is going to be different from BvS and The Batman from BvS.

He said he wants to do a Noir-style Batman that is very visually minimalist. He wants to focus on Batman as a Detective and Investigator and not the grizzled guy out for revenge.

He said Batman is going to be similar to Caesar in the new Planet of the Apes movie, where he is an invisible/calm force in the middle of chaos trying to figure it all out.

Considering Superman saved Batman's soul in BvS, a less violence incarnate version makes sense. Especially since Batfleck is one of the few Batmen to do actual detective work.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well there was that whole "piecing the bullet together" thing in TDK. I guess that's more forensics.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Steve Yun posted:

edit: VVVV I agree but I also gotta give props to Winter Soldier. The airforce stripes around the star are great and the vents/layers in the rest of his suit really sell "tactical" almost as well as the straps

Winter Soldier's still my favorite of them. To me it gives a feeling of being armored, which the other suits lack.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Well there was that whole "piecing the bullet together" thing in TDK. I guess that's more forensics.

How did that work again?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

DC Murderverse posted:

I don't think I begrudge anyone for liking one Parker over the other. I think McGuire suffered a bit in the suit compared to the other two though.

I absolutely agree that Maguire's Suit Presence was poor. See I actually thought that Maguire could have transitioned into that Romita-esque guy. I could see him being a picked on dork and a dude who ladies swooned for (but with a bit of a marshmellow center). He could look like a doughy dork or a handsome dude, as permitted. I like a lot of what Raimi did but he never really did the transition between Ditko -> Romita Spidey. Him coming out of his shell and becoming more "normal" socially. I would like to have seen Pete's College Days. Also, secretly, I've always wanted Spider-Man to actually be set in 1963 and be a period piece.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

hiddenriverninja posted:

How did that work again?

Alfred test-fires like five different guns into pieces of concrete to see which most accurately matches the bullet pattern. It's pretty goofy and Nolan very smartly edited it to get through that scene as quickly as possible.

I absolutely agree that Maguire's Suit Presence was poor. See I actually thought that Maguire could have transitioned into that Romita-esque guy. I could see him being a picked on dork and a dude who ladies swooned for (but with a bit of a marshmellow center). He could look like a doughy dork or a handsome dude, as permitted. I like a lot of what Raimi did but he never really did the transition between Ditko -> Romita Spidey. Him coming out of his shell and becoming more "normal" socially. I would like to have seen Pete's College Days. Also, secretly, I've always wanted Spider-Man to actually be set in 1963 and be a period piece.

Maguire suffered from having stunt doubles that were easily like 20 pounds more lithe than him, and also from some pretty rough CGI. It got a little better in Spider-Man 2, but especially in the first movie it's transparently obvious when it's not him in the suit -- he had a weirdly chunky build in his torso that stuck out like a sore thumb.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 6, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This review alleviates most of the worries I had about Homecoming. The bolded part is extremely good to hear.

quote:

Review: Spider-Man: Homecoming is the best superhero movie of 2017
Spider-Man: Homecoming gets Peter Parker right. That’s what makes it so good.

The movie is a soaring, fearless teenage dream.

Spider-Man: Homecoming isn’t really a story about a man, but about the journey toward becoming an adult

Within the pop culture sphere, Spider-Man’s origin story has become an American superhero nativity scene of sorts. Even if you haven’t read any Spider-Man comics or seen any Spider-Man movies, you likely know that a radioactive spider bites Peter Parker, giving him superpowers — strength, the ability to cling to walls, a sixth sense, etc. — and that Peter’s beloved Uncle Ben dies because Peter didn’t stop a criminal when he had the chance. Except for Batman, whose story is rooted in the deaths of his parents, Thomas and Martha Wayne, there is no other superhero whose beginnings are as well-known as Peter Parker’s/Spider-Man’s.

It’s curious and savvy, then, that Spider-Man: Homecoming writer-director Jon Watts and co-writers Jonathan Goldstein, John Francis Daley, Christopher Ford, Chris McKenna, and Erik Sommers eschew all of those basic details.

We don’t see Peter Parker (Tom Holland) get bitten. There aren’t any references to Uncle Ben. We don’t even know the full extent of Peter’s powers; the limits of his strength, durability, “Spider-Sense,” and agility are never fully explained.

What Homecoming does show us is a Peter Parker who’s just an underappreciated high school sophomore with a superhero secret identity, and who’s itching to get back into action after taking on Captain America and the rest of the Avengers in last year’s Captain America: Civil War but can’t tell a soul about it.

Michael Keaton is chilling as Adrian Toomes, a struggling contractor who, in Homecoming’s world of gods and monsters, has found a way to carve out his own pocket of power. Keaton knows how to flash his own brand of sinister, sharpening the pricks in his voice and conveying heat in his eyes. But the compelling thing about Toomes is that, like a lot the very best comic villains, he’s impossibly human — if he’d had even one lucky break, it seems, he wouldn’t be on this path.

Toomes and Peter’s clashes are gorgeous flourishes of superhuman physics, power versus agility, speed versus brutality, and opposing worldviews: hardened jadedness versus restless optimism.

And Watts’s film is a visual treat; but really, the magic is in the heart and soul given to Peter, to the villainous Toomes, and to Peter’s teenage spirit. Past Spider-Man films have failed to give us a Peter Parker worth rooting for, worth protecting, worth looking up to. But in Watts’s and Holland’s hands, for the first time in a decade, Spider-Man: Homecoming gives a version of everyone’s favorite neighborhood web slinger who feels as amazing as he was created to be.

Tweaking the tension that surrounds his protagonist allows Watts to delve into new territory with the character.

Instead of holding our breaths for that “Uncle Ben” moment, we get to experience and understand the conflict at Spider-Man’s core: having to balance all the anxieties and uncertainties of being a teen while also knowing the thrilling power of being a superhero.

Being a superhero is the one thing that makes Peter happy, but it also eats up his time, interfering with his status on Midtown High’s Academic Decathlon team and fracturing his friendships.

He and his best friend Ned (Jacob Batalon) suddenly don’t have time to mess around with their Star Wars toys. It kills him that he can’t get Liz (Laura Harrier), the girl of his dreams, to notice him even though she’s in love with Spider-Man. And he’s always lying to his Aunt May (Marisa Tomei) about his “internship” at Stark Enterprises.

Tom Holland masterfully channels Peter’s teenage angst, which could easily come off as melodramatic or superficial, and infuses it with respect. Watts’s artful work makes you realize how often we don’t take teenagers’ anxieties, joys, and fears seriously. Peter’s life in Homecoming is a frustrating, jagged journey toward figuring out what kind of person he is.

Holland can be effortlessly likable; he proved as much in Civil War. What’s more impressive in Homecoming is how adept he is at doing the tougher stuff too. He flashes teenage stubbornness in defying Iron Man (and everyone who seems to know better). But he also sheds tears, and your heart hurts with him, giving Peter Parker an aching vulnerability that we don’t see in most superheroes.

This movie marks a big a moment for Holland, who, for the first time in his career, has to carry a gigantic blockbuster and does so handily. As Peter, he will remind you of your childhood best friend and, as the movie unfurls, become a hero to look up to. Quite simply, Homecoming proves that Holland is a star and the best Spider-Man we’ve seen onscreen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sounds like a book report.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Timby posted:

Maguire suffered from having stunt doubles that were easily like 20 pounds more lithe than him, and also from some pretty rough CGI. It got a little better in Spider-Man 2, but especially in the first movie it's transparently obvious when it's not him in the suit -- he had a weirdly chunky build in his torso that stuck out like a sore thumb.

They had to give him a digital tummy tuck in 3 because he just refused to work out for it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The author of that Spidey Homecoming review is a Vox writer named Alex Abad-Santos, who you might know as the guy who wrote a review entitled Batman v Superman review: this movie is a crime against comic book fans

This is not a slam on him, it just provides some context as to what he's looking for in a superhero movie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The author of that Spidey Homecoming review is a Vox writer named Alex Abad-Santos, who you might know as the guy who wrote a review entitled Batman v Superman review: this movie is a crime against comic book fans

What about his other reviews? Does he have any inaccurate ones?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I remember a lot of reviewers back when TDK came out making a big deal about how the movie was the first to finally remember that he's also the World's Greatest Detective.

Also, man, I can't believe it's almost a decade since TDK came out.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

That quip's so on-point it could be in a Joss Whedon movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's a pretty bad review that says the worst part of the movie is when Batman does Crossfit...and that's bad because it won't logically help him beat Superman.

Maybe you should actually read/see the stuff you're discussing. I certainly learned my lesson on that front with Lego Movie.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

It's a pretty bad review that says the worst part of the movie is when Batman does Crossfit...and that's bad because it won't logically help him beat Superman.

Maybe you should actually read/see the stuff you're discussing. I certainly learned my lesson on that front with Lego Movie.

Maybe if he trains long enough he can break his limits like Saitama and defeat Superman in one punch

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Did we not watch the same film where Batman is wearing so much armor and carrying so much equipment he appears to be a bronze statue brought to life rather than a man in a suit?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Barudak posted:

Did we not watch the same film where Batman is wearing so much armor and carrying so much equipment he appears to be a bronze statue brought to life rather than a man in a suit?

Shhhh. This is not important. What's important is that we signal to the thread, for the 1000th time, that we hate Batman v Superman. Even if it means defending a really bad review.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chairman Capone posted:

Also, man, I can't believe it's almost a decade since TDK came out.

It's aging really poorly outside of Ledger and Oldman's performances, too. Roberts', too, I suppose. But it just feels so bloated when compared to Begins.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

It's aging really poorly outside of Ledger and Oldman's performances, too. Roberts', too, I suppose. But it just feels so bloated when compared to Begins.

I still really like all the random character actors in it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I still really like all the random character actors in it.

Oh, absolutely. Keith Szarabajka is always a delight, and then you've got people like Michael Jai White and Ron Dean showing up for bit parts (Dean as the corrupt cop is a fun reversal of his role as the CPD detective who's bloodthirsty for Kimble in The Fugitive). I'm always happy to see Nestor Carbonell and Melinda McGraw getting work, too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Nolan resembles Hitchcock in no other way so much as his appreciation of character actors. Tom Wilkinson, for example, was perfect casting.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nolan resembles Hitchcock in no other way so much as his appreciation of character actors. Tom Wilkinson, for example, was perfect casting.

Matthew Modine in Rises, too. I had pretty much forgotten that Modine even existed and then he comes out of nowhere and makes the most of a garbage role.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Man, that meeting in the bar. Wilkinson kills it.

It also can't be overstated how fun Cillian Murphy is in that trilogy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LesterGroans posted:

Man, that meeting in the bar. Wilkinson kills it.

"You're taller than you look in the tabloids, Mr. Wayne." Sold me on his character right then and there.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Wilkinson's bored phony insanity is one of my faves, too. "Doc, I can't take it, the walls are closing in on me, yadda yadda yadda" while he rolls his eyes and drat near makes a jerk-off motion with his hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Stan Lee's wife died. 93, Married for 70 years.

• Locked thread