Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

This is bullshit.

Sarcasm is the X button.

This is bullshit.

It's Sarcastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Playing Until Dawn because it's free and I just... don't get why I see people saying it's so great.

It might be because I'm early on still, only just made it to the separate cabin and had things happen, but it's just blah. The characters are all awful and stupid as gently caress with terrible dialogue. They all just make the dumbest goddamn decisions ever at every possible opportunity, it's infuriating. I also can't tell if they're supposed to be adults, or in college, or just out of high school, they loving act like all three at different times. Make up your goddamn minds! :argh:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

No you don't understand. These games don't have stories (even though they do) and how dare they give me a real character to be! :spergin:

Besides everyone knows Bethesda games aren't actually fun until you add like 20 mods :rolleyes:

Oh and Skyrim is bad because you can forge broken gear even though that's optional and you don't have to.

Do you want to play the next game in this series defined by player choice and openness? We've got freeform city building mechanics, a massive perk-based levelling system, Diablo-style gear drops and some cool new graphics tech going on. gently caress yeah! Go wild!

Also if you want to play this game you have to be a parent whose main motivation is their kid and you can't say no to quests anymore. Those are part of it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ShootaBoy posted:

Playing Until Dawn because it's free and I just... don't get why I see people saying it's so great.

It might be because I'm early on still, only just made it to the separate cabin and had things happen, but it's just blah. The characters are all awful and stupid as gently caress with terrible dialogue. They all just make the dumbest goddamn decisions ever at every possible opportunity, it's infuriating. I also can't tell if they're supposed to be adults, or in college, or just out of high school, they loving act like all three at different times. Make up your goddamn minds! :argh:

It's been ages but I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be college kids in the intro and twentysomethings in the regular game? I don't remember anyone saying it was super great though, just that it had some nice touches.

The real way to play it is to have a bunch of people over, make popcorn, and pass the controller back and forth all night while talking about how dumb all the characters are...but then if you're like me you end up tooootally forgetting to ever finish it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ShootaBoy posted:

They're horror movie characters. Pick which ones you like (if any) and consign the rest to a horrible death.

I think you can get them all killed if you try really hard.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Bethesda decided to create a random MMO fetch quest generator instead of adding cool side stuff they normally have. gently caress fallout 4.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Somfin posted:

Do you want to play the next game in this series defined by player choice and openness? We've got freeform city building mechanics, a massive perk-based levelling system, Diablo-style gear drops and some cool new graphics tech going on. gently caress yeah! Go wild!

Also if you want to play this game you have to be a parent whose main motivation is their kid and you can't say no to quests anymore. Those are part of it.

I haven't played a Bethesda game since Oblivion/FO3 but the player choice boiled down to "do quest" or "don't do quest" you were a blank slate who had canned responses. This time they mention having a son instead of being generic things. Oh the inhumanity!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

You're right, FO3 is also a huge disappointment to the fallout series. Maybe people were talking about the standards set by the first two games and not the bethesda ones. Crazy thought.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Agent355 posted:

You're right, FO3 is also a huge disappointment to the fallout series. Maybe people were talking about the standards set by the first two games and not the bethesda ones. Crazy thought.

At this point the Bethesda games are the standard though?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

This time they mention having a son instead of being generic things. Oh the inhumanity!

They don't ~mention~ it, it's the core of your character.

All other Fallout games gave you an origin, this one saddles you with a motivation.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Len posted:

At this point the Bethesda games are the standard though?

Two games in it are Bethesda, so there are still more of the better kind.

Only 3 and 4, and 4 following new Vegas makes it worse.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
Bethesda hasn't made a good game since Morrowind, which was still a huge pain in the rear end to play.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Somfin posted:

All other Fallout games gave you an origin, this one saddles you with a motivation.

Not only that, the origins provided in 1, 2 and New Vegas all had a ridiculous amount of background that was up to the player or the skillset chosen by the player.

It wasmore about what you wanted to do or your personal motivations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Fallout 4 even injects "WHERE IS CHILD" into options that don't seem like they'd mention it. Before I changed the dialogue display, I wanna say that picking some things that were just [Regular Phrase] came out with "ALSO I'M LOOKING FOR SHAUN HAVE YOU SEEN A BOY?" stapled onto it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Len posted:

I haven't played a Bethesda game since Oblivion/FO3 but the player choice boiled down to "do quest" or "don't do quest" you were a blank slate who had canned responses. This time they mention having a son instead of being generic things. Oh the inhumanity!

Great opinion on a game you haven't played there, Champ, I'm really glad you shared it with us all, but let me tell you (as someone who experienced the thing being discussed as recently as last night, after literally 20 years of playing other Bethesda games), the main plot of Fallout 4 is really, really bad and you look really dumb for defending it.

Can you share any more staggering insights on matters you have no actual experience with? :allears:

e: if I had made this post in Fallout 4 it would have said "Also I'm looking for my son, Shaun, have you seen him? My son? Where's my son?!" about six times at random points in the text

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Jul 7, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also the MC voice acting is still bad for a few reasons.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
AND IT DOESNT EVEN LET YOU PLAY AS DR WHO!!!!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Oh hi, you're still bringing up that one post you misread months ago for some reason. Is it really that funny to you?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Like loving clockwork.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RBA Starblade posted:

A friend convinced me to buy it and I'm enjoying it but yeah nothing really clicks for me in it.
Hollowknight, amusingly enough, feels very hollow. Also the first like hour of the game is extra lovely because you have zero mobility and every enemy is a drat tank. Even Symphony of the Night started you off better than that.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Somfin posted:

Oh hi, you're still bringing up that one post you misread months ago for some reason. Is it really that funny to you?

It is hilarious to me, yes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Somfin posted:

In the original Fallout the game literally ends if you don't advance the main quest quickly enough.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

It is hilarious to me, yes.

That's great to hear. I wish I could laugh at my own mistakes.

E:

Guy Mann posted:

In the original Fallout the game literally ends if you don't advance the main quest quickly enough.

A ticking time bomb and a personal motivation are not the same thing.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Somfin posted:

A ticking time bomb and a personal motivation are not the same thing.
Your personal motivation is finding a water chip to save your town, and most of your interactions are based on this. Literally every Fallout game gives you a personal motivation. The people who like to pretend there is some other story to the game that exists only in their heads are just loving weird.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Your personal motivation is finding a water chip to save your town, and most of your interactions are based on this. Literally every Fallout game gives you a personal motivation. The people who like to pretend there is some other story to the game that exists only in their heads are just loving weird.

Your motivation there is not personal, it's imposed externally.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Todd Howard spotted.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

There is a difference between 'please find a water chip to save our town' and 'you need to find your son'

One of those allows for you to explore your own motivations for doing so and the other does not.

On top of that FO1 allows you to do all sorts of roleplaying and exploration of detailed stories outside of just the mainquest and in those areas the mainquest isn't mentioned at all. You aren't constantly browbeating every npc you meet about your missing son.

Man it's been like 10 years or something and I'm STILL mad about FO3. My childhood :negative:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Having an ultimate goal is pretty different from the game trying really hard to force you to care about your ugly potato baby you got to know for like three minutes.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Triarii posted:

By counter do you mean when your sword clangs against an enemy's? Because I never took that to be a deliberate action you would aim for, just a neat atmospheric thing that happens sometimes. And enemies never felt damage spongey to me; the flow of combat felt very smooth and quick. For example, here's someone beating the game's hardest arena challenge (which has tougher enemies than most of the game, plus the player is playing defensively to get a no-damage run, and not using any spells):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJnpYTq8KWE

You can do that deliberately but the timing is really tight. I wasn't good enough to do it consistently.

I think I've enjoyed it more than any other game I've played this year, but your character sucks poo poo at the beginning so it takes awhile to get into.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Fallout 4 sucks for the reason all Bethesda games suck: the writing, voice acting and combat are bad

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Fallout 4 sucks for the reason all Bethesda games suck: the writing, voice acting and combat are bad

What sucks is that the shooting and junk actually felt marginally better in 4, but at the cost of the writing suffering even more than usual.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Schneider Inside Her posted:

At some point you realize that all those cool powers that are in your level list or whatever are going to be completely inconsequential by the time you can get them because even with heavy level-scaling the game is trivial by the time you're level 15 or so. Once you realize that you can never really play the game again.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

What sucks is that the shooting and junk actually felt marginally better in 4, but at the cost of the writing suffering even more than usual.
And they still aren't good.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

food court bailiff posted:

Great opinion on a game you haven't played there, Champ, I'm really glad you shared it with us all, but let me tell you (as someone who experienced the thing being discussed as recently as last night, after literally 20 years of playing other Bethesda games), the main plot of Fallout 4 is really, really bad and you look really dumb for defending it.

Can you share any more staggering insights on matters you have no actual experience with? :allears:

e: if I had made this post in Fallout 4 it would have said "Also I'm looking for my son, Shaun, have you seen him? My son? Where's my son?!" about six times at random points in the text

At no point did I say it wasn't a bad story. I just don't understand why them trying to actually give their games a story is such a horrible thing. I mean hell Fallout 1 is "looking for a water chip" 2 "the GECK" 3 "my father" NV I'm honestly unsure about why is "my son" such a crazzzzzy thing? The complaint that pops up the most isn't "it's a bad story" it's "how dare they make a story that interferes with me being The Man With No Name/Dr Who/whatever else you want to pretend you are that the game literally doesn't react to

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Len posted:

At no point did I say it wasn't a bad story. I just don't understand why them trying to actually give their games a story is such a horrible thing. I mean hell Fallout 1 is "looking for a water chip" 2 "the GECK" 3 "my father" NV I'm honestly unsure about why is "my son" such a crazzzzzy thing? The complaint that pops up the most isn't "it's a bad story" it's "how dare they make a story that interferes with me being The Man With No Name/Dr Who/whatever else you want to pretend you are that the game literally doesn't react to

Because it puts the focus firmly on your character rather than the world around them and the people they meet. By the nature of the thing, your character is naturally going to be the most boring person in the world in one of these open-world games because their only defining characteristics are that they're very good at killing things and surviving, and they don't seem to worry about death much. Fallout 1 and 2 use the story as an excuse for your character to explore and learn more about this weird world and its weird locations and people and ideas, fallout 3 and 4's main plot give a huge poo poo about your boring-rear end main character.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Worth noting is that neither FO1/2/NV actually have the opening story be THE story.

THE story is always about some threat to the area that kind of unfolds as you follow your own reasons for being there. This allows you to decide for yoruself why you're following along and doing these things because you have control of your character before you're even introduced to concepts like 'the Master/Enclave/Caesar is trying to destroy the world'.

It's almost like the game utilizes story telling instead of making you follow other people who actually make the story decisions while you just tag along. TELL ME WHERE MY SON IS.

Agent355 has a new favorite as of 03:23 on Jul 7, 2017

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In Fallout 4 you can't turn your dead wife into a cyborg.
We can rebuild her, we have the technology!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

scarycave posted:

In Fallout 4 you can't turn your dead wife into a cyborg.
We can rebuild her, we have the technology!

You can't eat her corpse either. The least they could have done was give you an achivement for that. IIRC New Vegas had one for eating a bunch of important NPCs.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
New Vegas had an entire evolving perk, Meat of Champions, that gave you bonuses to your SPECIAL stats by devouring the flesh of faction leaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

As others have said, fallout was memorable because you were the person who knew nothing thrust into an established world you have to experience and learn, and from that you would make decisions that allow you to reach a known ultimate goal. You interacted with the world as a player reaching a water chip/geck/platinum chip, and you could vary playthroughs by picking different dialogue options and weapon loadouts based on the "personality" you wanted to try out that play through, a "role" you "play" in a "game"

3 and 4 immediately detail your backstory after deciding what you look like. You can't buck it, you can't go around it even in side quests. The game is constantly using the dialogue sysyem in other sidequests to steer you back onto one of the wettest farts of a main quest Bethesda have ever made. You didn't get hints dropped that you could go visit to uncover what you need, you get to see a dialogue option with a one word description tear away from your intended statement to include "HAVE YOU SEEN MY SON"

It's garbage storytelling in every capacity, from a Fallout-level storytelling standard and even a basic storytelling standard. It's loving garbage, it's lazy and forced and almost desperate in making you care about the story because one dude really wants you to be surprised at the neat twist he made but he's worried you might actually play the game like you want instead of finding out his cool story idea guys!!