Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Just. Yeah. Embarrassing. Outscored 17-3 in 4 days and 3 games.

Onalfo out.

Hey remember when you thought you were better off than DC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
992 minutes in between scoring against Not Atlanta in the run of play is over. Multiple goals away from home, and all it took was sacrificing our brand new striker that we overpaid for.

We're actually tied for worst GD now with RSL and Minnesota, which says less about their ability to defend than it does about our inability to score. This team can't overcome a two goal deficit. Can't pass, can't defend, can't shoot on frame. We're now into the ninth year of defensive-third triangle passing between the DMids and GK. The only spark of creativity comes from a mid season import that we'll hammer the spark and life out of in the offseason.

There is no hope until the ownership flips this franchise like they've meant to this whole time. Until then, there'll be happy moments, a fun game somewhere against a trash team, and then the inevitable season-ending bollocking against some team with a competent manager and attacking flair.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Houston Home Form: 26 out of 30 points 28 GF 9 GA
Houston Away Form: 2 out of 27 points 6 GF 24 GA

:sigh:

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

this is the content you all wanted

http://www.gq.com/story/jozy-altidore-real-life-diet?mbid=social_facebook

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Hey remember when you thought you were better off than DC

I still think we are. You're going to keep your coach.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Ha, you've still got hope

That's the real mind killer

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I mean, I get that you guys are in the middle of an injury crisis but if Onalfo wasn't fired after Tuesday then what on earth would it take?

That said I won't believe that LA can't come back and make the playoffs like they always do until a) the transfer window closes without some big summer signing (like the rumoured Gignac bid I guess? I don't know if striker is LAG's biggest hole though, as opposed to, say, a better central midfielder than Jermaine Jones and a better keeper than Clement Diop), or b) immediately after the final whistle on October 22nd.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Dallan Invictus posted:

I mean, I get that you guys are in the middle of an injury crisis but if Onalfo wasn't fired after Tuesday then what on earth would it take?

That said I won't believe that LA can't come back and make the playoffs like they always do until a) the transfer window closes without some big summer signing (like the rumoured Gignac bid I guess? I don't know if striker is LAG's biggest hole though, as opposed to, say, a better central midfielder than Jermaine Jones and a better keeper than Clement Diop), or b) immediately after the final whistle on October 22nd.

I think as long as we're ravaged by injuries LA is pretty hosed. The front office gambled that they wouldn't need to have MLS level players ready to fill in for starters and instead tried to rely on their USL players.

They got absolutely smashed by the worst team in MLS.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

threeagainstfour posted:

I think as long as we're ravaged by injuries LA is pretty hosed. The front office gambled that they wouldn't need to have MLS level players ready to fill in for starters and instead tried to rely on their USL players.

They got absolutely smashed by the worst team in MLS.

Even after the ravaging and smashing, we're 2 points out of a playoff position and 4 points out of 3rd place. As long as more teams make the playoffs than don't, I can't seriously count us out. We'll get the "stars" back eventually, and the injuries will work themselves out. Everyone knows the MLS season doesn't actually start until August.

With that said, I'd love it if we could get a new striker/center mid/right back/keeper/head coach/GM, at the least.

That Gignac rumor is lovely, as is the Movsisyan if the price was right.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Yura would only be ok at like 150k. 1.9m is insane.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Tigren posted:

Even after the ravaging and smashing, we're 2 points out of a playoff position and 4 points out of 3rd place. As long as more teams make the playoffs than don't, I can't seriously count us out. We'll get the "stars" back eventually, and the injuries will work themselves out. Everyone knows the MLS season doesn't actually start until August.

With that said, I'd love it if we could get a new striker/center mid/right back/keeper/head coach/GM, at the least.

That Gignac rumor is lovely, as is the Movsisyan if the price was right.

Yea but what if Alessandrini turned out to be a bust?

So much of the Galaxy offense has run through him that it's not a stretch at all to imagine a record much worse than this one if he hadn't turned out to be great, and a record in the future that could be outside of the playoffs should he get injured for a significant stretch of time.

There's so little depth in the Galaxy roster right now that a few injuries to key players leads to a situation where you have to field six USL guys all at once and make desperation signings like Jack McInerney.

That's just problems with the roster itself. You then have to remember Curt Onalfo is in charge of this team.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 7, 2017

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Curt would have been fired if Jermaine Jones had been healthy. Remember that. He's been promoted past his competency.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

threeagainstfour posted:

Yea but what if Alessandrini turned out to be a bust?

So much of the Galaxy offense has run through him that it's not a stretch at all to imagine a record much worse than this one if he hadn't turned out to be great, and a record in the future that could be outside of the playoffs should he get injured for a significant stretch of time.

There's so little depth in the Galaxy roster right now that a few injuries to key players leads to a situation where you have to field six USL guys all at once and make desperation signings like Jack McInerney.

That's just problems with the roster itself. You then have to remember Curt Onalfo is in charge of this team.

I totally agree with you. Curt Onalfo is not MLS caliber and I'd be happy if we could replace him with a Miguel Herrera type. Onalfo didn't address the team needs and made poor signings. Thankfully, that can still limp you into the playoffs.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Tigren posted:

Onalfo didn't address the team needs and made poor signings.

Onalfo or Klein?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Onalfo or Klein?

I didn't want to be the one to say it, but yes. Vagenas is part of the problem as well. It's like the whole organization went Homegrown real quick. Hopefully they can figure it out sooner rather than later. It would be really great if the Club could produce something great from within.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Tigren posted:

I didn't want to be the one to say it, but yes. Vagenas is part of the problem as well. It's like the whole organization went Homegrown real quick. Hopefully they can figure it out sooner rather than later. It would be really great if the Club could produce something great from within.

I actually think they can produce something good. I don't however think the Galaxy can really develop these guys if they are all on the field at once.

Consider Steres debut year where he was the only USL guy starting regularly, surrounded by MLS guys. With Less pressure on him and with veteran support he was able to develop well. He had a great year and looked good this year when he was healthy.

Now you have guys like Nathan Smith out there with a bunch of other USL guys, Yolo Van Damme, Ashley Cole, and a half engaged GDS.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I personally love the LA meltdown almost as much as I like Seattle's marginal competence.

I still am baffled as to how lovely Movsisyan has been in MLS, he was an exponentially better striker in Russia than Martins, but has been exponentially shittier in MLS. Like is it just he doesn't give a poo poo in RSL and a move elsewhere would make him decent?

Also lol the Sounders are sitting on the most allocation money in the league.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 7, 2017

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Adrian Heath has a podcast.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Seltzer posted:

Adrian Heath has a podcast.

Who knows, maybe he's a better radio host than coach.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Twitter is claiming Quintero to Chicago is impending. That would be a surprise to me, considering almost all reports had him going elsewhere. But I guess that's what happened with Schweinsteiger too.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Just. Yeah. Embarrassing. Outscored 17-3 in 4 days and 3 games.

Onalfo out.

another interesting thing I noticed when I was checking the standings the other day:

LA simultaneously has the worst home record and the best away record in the league

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

for the first time in toronto football club history, a coach has received a second contract

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Congrats, only took you guys 11 years to do what Chivas did in 3.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Congrats, only took you guys 11 years to do what Chivas did in 3.

hmm, and how'd that work out for them in the end

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
There was a time when Chivas USA was a playoffs team. For multiple seasons!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Chivas USA was once the 1 seed in the West! Not a dream, not a what-if!

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Free Dan Kennedy

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
Well we finally have a transfer rumor in Colorado!

:siren:

And it's stupid. Really stupid.

https://twitter.com/TTSportsHQ/status/887589466176618496

Unless he can play as a 10 I don't get it.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 20, 2017

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Take a bow DC United:

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/887893701376303104

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Seattle's now twice to come away with a result (points) this year after trailing by 3 goals. They were down 3-0 to New England earlier in the year and came away with a draw. If that game was 5 more minutes longer it would also have likely been a win.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Oh, you Black-and-Red.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
That was the best counterattacking I've seen from Seattle in three seasons.

In that there was counterattacking.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Went to work, sad I was gonna miss the game. Checked the score at halftime, sad I missed the game. Saw the final, decided not to buy tickets for Saturday because Jesus Christ

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Thanatosian posted:

That was the best counterattacking I've seen from Seattle in three seasons.

In that there was counterattacking.

In the last twenty five to thirty minutes or so. I guess losing 3-0 to United was a low they refused to stoop to. Pretty dramatic change in quality of play.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Well we finally have a transfer rumor in Colorado!

Unless he can play as a 10 I don't get it.

The same site that said "Rapids are chasing Carrick!" now says "the Rapids have denied this rumor."

https://twitter.com/TTSportsHQ/status/887967786089271302

I hope so. They sure don't need another d-mid.

Edit - If they're planning on trying what Chicago did with Schweinsteiger, fine, I guess, but the Rapids don't have an equivalent to McCarty or Nikolic or Juninho. They also have a coach that puts 9 guys behind the ball and thinks "heart beats stats!" I don't see how it would work.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 20, 2017

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Whitecaps traded GAM to Montreal for an international spot in order to sign a Kiwi GK. Fully expecting him to get a DUI by season's end.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

The Fire have been absurdly lucky so far this season. Without Dax, this team is god-awful. So much for that first place.

No matter how many games we won, I still got that imposter syndrome feeling that we shouldn't be even sniffing first place. And this loss to loving NYC proves it.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Went to work, sad I was gonna miss the game. Checked the score at halftime, sad I missed the game. Saw the final, decided not to buy tickets for Saturday because Jesus Christ

Ho boy do I have a Saturday game for you.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

joshtothemaxx posted:

Ho boy do I have a Saturday game for you.

I talked myself into it. Toxxing now: I'm staying the gently caress away on August 5th. These bitches don't get my loving money anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

For any Rapids fans out there Omar Cummings has retired.

https://twitter.com/fccincinnati/status/889258828201689088

• Locked thread