Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Stan Lee's wife died. 93, Married for 70 years.

:smith: poor Stan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Maybe if he trains long enough he can break his limits like Saitama and defeat Superman in one punch

Batman doesn't do cardio. He'd do the pushups and situps, but like hell he'd run 10k every day, and screw not using the A/C - he's rich, that's what it's for.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

This thread made me dig out my BvS disc and gently caress me I forgot just how gorgeous this movie is.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Oh my God I cannot believe how much better Logan is than the last two Wolverine movies. like holy poo poo this is great.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Oh my God I cannot believe how much better Logan is than the last two Wolverine movies. like holy poo poo this is great.

Yeah, it was really really good. I'm kind of sad I didn't see it in theatres.

Wolverine is totally a character that benefits from the Hard R rating.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I still really like all the random character actors in it.

Yeah, definitely. This is also one of the standout features of Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Gorn Myson posted:

This thread made me dig out my BvS disc and gently caress me I forgot just how gorgeous this movie is.

Seriously. Find any frame in BvS and there's not a single comparable image in all the mcu

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gorn Myson posted:

Yes, you're absolutely right, but I could really do without the grain.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
For the first 15 minutes of Logan, Hugh Jackson did a wonderful impression of Mel Gibson as Wolverine.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

I do like the second Wolverine movie. But yeah, Logan is light years ahead of it and the vast majority of other comic movies.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He'll most likely follow in a few months. No way can he take it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i just remembered the worst thing about Age of Ultron

it comes so close to having Cap finally, finally loving yell AVENGERS, ASSEMBLE for the first time in the MCU

and then it just loving smash-cuts to credits halfway through the line

it is such an unbelievably petty thing for me to hate, but it just felt like the perfect cherry on top of the giant pile of poo poo that AoU was overall

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it comes so close to having Cap finally, finally loving yell AVENGERS, ASSEMBLE for the first time in the MCU

it is such an unbelievably petty thing for me to hate, but it just felt like the perfect cherry on top of the giant pile of poo poo that AoU was overall

They had to do that so that Captain America can die horribly in Avengers 3 and that way in Avengers 4 as Thanos is about to wipe out and recreate existence and either Thor or Iron Man is killed on screen, it suddenly does the anime thing and rapidly zooms in on a mountaintop 10,000 miles away from the action where Captain America is miraculously alive and he can finally bellow out an "AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" that's heard throughout the entire MCU and everyone answers the call. Like literally even the kid from Luke Cage that films superhero fights with a 4K rig to sell DVDs and the guy playing Galaga on the helicarrier in Avengers 1 and Toby McGuire in a cameo as Spider-Man 2099 just roll up to kick Thanos' rear end.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Well it was pretty filmmaking. "He almost said the thing! Tune in next time, true believers, to see if he says it!"

It would be like at the end of Star Trek First Contact that Vulcan walks up to Zephram Cochran, raises his fingers in the Vulcan salute, and says "Li-" HARD CUT TO BLACK. CREDITS.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Avengers 3 and 4 are already going to suck rear end because they won't be cool enough to have a scene where for whatever reason the Avengers need Turk Barrett to pick a lock for them.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Neo Rasa posted:

They had to do that so that Captain America can die horribly in Avengers 3 and that way in Avengers 4 as Thanos is about to wipe out and recreate existence and either Thor or Iron Man is killed on screen, it suddenly does the anime thing and rapidly zooms in on a mountaintop 10,000 miles away from the action where Captain America is miraculously alive and he can finally bellow out an "AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" that's heard throughout the entire MCU and everyone answers the call. Like literally even the kid from Luke Cage that films superhero fights with a 4K rig to sell DVDs and the guy playing Galaga on the helicarrier in Avengers 1 and Toby McGuire in a cameo as Spider-Man 2099 just roll up to kick Thanos' rear end.

i'm not gonna lie this would probably work for me, because i am a sucker for massively manipulative things like that

Neo Rasa posted:

Avengers 3 and 4 are already going to suck rear end because they won't be cool enough to have a scene where for whatever reason the Avengers need Turk Barrett to pick a lock for them.

i feel like there's actually pretty solid odds of Turk showing up, especially if the Defenders are still gonna be in it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What's the over/under on number of Agents of Shield characters who passively aggressively complain on Twitter they're not in the movie? Three?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i feel like there's actually pretty solid odds of Turk showing up, especially if the Defenders are still gonna be in it

I thought they weren't?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Al Borland Corp. posted:

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/883118278293544960

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Chairman Capone posted:

I thought they weren't?

No official word on that yet.

The Russos said that they want to and the guy who plays DareDevil on Netflix has had two meetings with the movie side, so people think they will.

It's not officially confirmed, though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I've also got to say, that as someone who was a massive X-Men and Spider-Man fan in the 80's, Homecoming is so so so good and I am really glad to have a Spider-Man movie I can say is unequivocally good for the first time in 13 years or so.

I was extremely worried about it at first, but Tom Holland is very good. I've never actually seen him as a lead before, but he nails the 1960's version of Peter Parker despite the movie being set in present day.

Random non-spoiler observations:

- Michael Keaton is loving amazing. I was pleasantly surprised by how good Ego was in GotG2, because comic movie villains have been weak recently. But Ego pales in comparison to Toomes. I liked Wonder Woman, but that third act and Ares were pretty meh. Keaton is probably the best comic villain in a long time. He's also not a complete moron and acts like a rational person, which kind of subverts audience expectations when you think they are going for a cliche.

- Except for the 15 minutes or so with Tony Stark, this could be a standalone movie. But weirdly, it feels like the movie that is most in the MCU of any Marvel movie.

It's all little background and easter egg things. Captain America appearing in detention videos, people in the background using technology, the toy stores and street vendors all having knockoff merchandise of heroes, normal people who have to live through alien attacks talking about insurance, conspiracy theorists who think that the NY attack was staged by the government or being used as an excuse to rip people off, buildings in the background and sections of New York that have no buildings, arguments about zoning permits in areas from the NY attack and whether it is "respectful" to build a new office building there. Just lots of little stuff that feels "lived in."

- The trailers are INCREDIBLY misleading about certain plot points. I thought I had 80% of the plot figured out before I went into the theater, but some of it is very off If you are going only by the trailers.

- This is one of the few movies where the after-credits stinger actually really builds on the movie and adds something to it. It is really good.

- They remix the '67 Spider-Man theme in an absolutely brilliant way.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 7, 2017

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Timby posted:

It's aging really poorly outside of Ledger and Oldman's performances, too. Roberts', too, I suppose. But it just feels so bloated when compared to Begins.

Begins is still far and away my favorite of the three. Dark Knight had fantastic character performances but the movie felt so bland to me otherwise.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

That was one of the best Spider-Man movies I have ever seen. I LOVE Spider-Man 2 so it's gonna rank up there with that for me.

I got to see it a day early yesterday at AMC and the theatre was packed, the line was out the door for tickets. Luckily, I went in on Tuesday and bought them early because they sold out almost immediately.

The ONLY thing I could see people not liking (and I personally had no issues with but I've heard my roommate and a YouTuber complain about it is when the new Shocker showed up at the school to attack Spider-Man almost immediately after Peter gets out of the car when Toomes figures out who he was. They both said that was way too quick for him to just show up like that when the scene before it wasn't that long ago. Personally, I didn't mind because Toomes did mention he suspected something the moment Peter walked into his house and spoke. But who knows.

Go see this movie. Holy poo poo go see this movie.

I've loved Spider-Man since I was about 5 so I might be biased but go see it anyway. Definitely the top superhero movie for me (I'm still super biased though).

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
The movie makes it work great, but I am a little sad that Parker and Cap never get to interact in this universe. Isn't Parker usually more enamored with Captain America than Iron Man? I was kinda hoping for an end credit teaser like Ant Man, where Cap's team was like "... We need Spiderman."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They fought a little in Civil War though. And he's going to be in Infinity War.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Neo Rasa posted:

This sounds.....really dope

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

They fought a little in Civil War though. And he's going to be in Infinity War.

As long as he gets one inspirational speech.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i'm not gonna lie this would probably work for me, because i am a sucker for massively manipulative things like that

Colonel Whitey posted:

This sounds.....really dope

I really do hate that that's not how it will play out.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Time to peace out from the thread while Spider-Man is being discussed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ThermoPhysical posted:

The ONLY thing I could see people not liking (and I personally had no issues with but I've heard my roommate and a YouTuber complain about it is when the new Shocker showed up at the school to attack Spider-Man almost immediately after Peter gets out of the car when Toomes figures out who he was. They both said that was way too quick for him to just show up like that when the scene before it wasn't that long ago. Personally, I didn't mind because Toomes did mention he suspected something the moment Peter walked into his house and spoke. But who knows.

Well maybe he was dropping his own kid off at the Homecoming dance so he was already in the area :v:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Time to peace out from the thread while Spider-Man is being discussed.

Particularly obnoxious when there's already a specific thread for the movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm curious to hear people's general reactions to the movie, here in the general chat thread.

Specific spoilered stuff should probably be taken to the specific thread.

Just a humble request from a thread regular.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I agree quick reactions are appropriate. I'm saying at the point where you're doing multiple paragraphs, lists of bullet points, extensive spoiler discussion, responding to other people, it should go in the specific thread.

My quick reaction: it's pretty good. Not as good as the Raimi movies, better than the Amazings on most counts, though ASM2 in particular was prettier. Serviceable Spider-Manning if you're interested in that sort of thing. Most standout thing for me was a pile of good actors in minor roles.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 7, 2017

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, I agree quick reactions are appropriate. I'm saying at the point where you're doing multiple paragraphs, lists of bullet points, extensive spoiler discussion, responding to other people, it should go in the specific thread.

My quick reaction: it's pretty good. Not as good as the Raimi movies, better than the Amazings on most counts, though ASM2 in particular was prettier. Serviceable Spider-Manning if you're interested in that sort of thing. Most standout thing for me was a pile of good actors in minor roles.

Yeah, please discuss Spider-Man in the thread for it, general "hey go see it" reactions here are fine but if you get to the point of needing to use spoilers you're better off posting in the other thread.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I had more consistent enjoyment of this movie over any of the others but the Raimi movies have the highest highs for me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The lack of an origin in this movie makes me think of Uncle Ben's death in the first movie and how terrible it was. And I mean that it was perfectly executed to be a terrible death.

It wasn't a noble and sanitized heroic death where he gives a knowing look of sacrifice as he fades away into the wind. It wasn't something left to the imagination like in the comics when Peter comes home later to find out what happened.

No, Ben takes a bullet to the chest and bleeds out in the street with a suffocating throng of slack-jawed gawkers surrounding him. He doesn't have any warm words or demonstrations of courage in his final moments. Instead he betrays to Peter the sheer terror and bewilderment of death as he suffers this senseless act of violence. All he can do is literally croak. I don't know whose idea it was for Cliff Robertson to slur like he had a stroke but that was morbid genius. The way we see and hear Uncle Ben die is what Peter will remember for the rest of his life and it's the goddamn worst.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

They sharpen it up with that final "Peter..." sounding scared as hell. Ugh. It's well done.

I may have mentioned it before but I saw Spider-Man 2 in a theater next to a lady who absolutely ate up every single melodramatic turn that popped onto the screen. She reacted vocally to every single Parker misfortune with a sad whispered "oooh" or "aaah" of sympathy. When Uncle Ben returns for the dream sequence and Peter sadly proclaims that he's "Spider-Man no more...no more..." she let out a terrified (but still whispered) "oh noooooo!" and I couldn't help but grin, despite the seriousness of the scene.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Love it when people get that into a movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
There's a great clip, that I think is on YouTube, from a bootleg recording of Lethal Weapon 4. The audience loses its poo poo over Jet Li's moves and it's wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

LesterGroans posted:

There's a great clip, that I think is on YouTube, from a bootleg recording of Lethal Weapon 4. The audience loses its poo poo over Jet Li's moves and it's wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D1CqVrGXdo

• Locked thread