Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Givin posted:

Not sure if you knew this but:

You can technically get two rings of the same type. Buy the first, then upgrade it, (I forgot how to do this with ironworks gear) then buy a 2nd base ring. Vola. Two good rings.

Nope, wasn't aware! I'm still on my free 30 days. Started playing the day SB dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cythereal posted:

Would if I had the expansions and dark knight wasn't a tanking class. :v: Yes, I've heard about Fray.

But drat do I hate tanking, so I doubt I'll ever touch warrior, paladin, or dark knight.

IMO even if you don't like tanking DRK is worth taking from 30-50 just for the job story

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Tanking is Good, you feel Needed and Powerful and it is very Satisfying. Also tank jobs are very easy to actually play.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't like tanking much but Dark Knight is a really fun tanking class to play and feels super-satisfying.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Sade posted:

Tanking is Good, you feel Needed and Powerful and it is very Satisfying. Also tank jobs are very easy to actually play.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't like tanking much but Dark Knight is a really fun tanking class to play and feels super-satisfying.

Become Tank. Feel Joy. A Love to make you Beautiful.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I tanked some in HW as DRK and the thing that always annoyed me was that against bosses you're basically always doing a really simple combo. It's fun when you're pulling a shitload of mobs at once and hitting cooldowns in pairs just to stay alive, but given that the bosses actually hit less hard outside of savage/EX stuff it just felt boring. Same thing with healer DPSing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sade posted:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Cythereal do not tank in this game. I've seen your posts in the WoW subforum and people will be just as lovely here as they are there for doing single pulls in dungeons once you get to around level 50. Earlier too depending on group make-up since the only reason people don't do massive pulls at low levels is that lots of jobs don't get AE attacks until the 30's and 40's.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I always laugh at how many people completely missed the point of this statement and 1-30 Conjurer :v:

(of course I guess SE doesn't really expect healers to do damage but let me have this)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Failboattootoot posted:

Cythereal do not tank in this game. I've seen your posts in the WoW subforum and people will be just as lovely here as they are there for doing single pulls in dungeons once you get to around level 50. Earlier too depending on group make-up since the only reason people don't do massive pulls at low levels is that lots of jobs don't get AE attacks until the 30's and 40's.

Yup, I played a gladiator to 15, went through the adventurer's guild tutorials, and decided nope this is not for me.

I really do enjoy playing a healer and I don't mind dps (not that I'm an honest healer). Tanking just isn't for me - I realized my problem with tanking is that I'm a control freak, and I find tanking for pubbies stressful. Healing pubbies doesn't bother me as much.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I always laugh at how many people completely missed the point of this statement and 1-30 Conjurer :v:

(of course I guess SE doesn't really expect healers to do damage but let me have this)

S-E could go whole hog on lore integration and give honest healers an uncleansable stacking debuff that persists across sessions and eventually deletes their character.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Kongming posted:

The worst times I've ever had in an MMO is when everyone is too polite to tell someone they seriously suck poo poo and need to improve because they're holding everyone else back. Sometimes someone has to be the rear end in a top hat.

It's me, I'm the poo poo player. I quit my static about 5 minutes before I was thrown out.

That was as healer, and I wanted to try this cycle as a dps, but I'm not even ilvl 300 yet so whelp

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Yo goons, when you hit the 70 MSQ trial, yell in FC chat to get a goon group, because pubbies seriously suck at it.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Philonius posted:

My dream is still to find a group of people to raid once a week for at most 2 hours with. I can justify blocking that off in my schedule. Unfortunately most people who are actually competent at the game tend to want to raid more than that, and people who want the same laidback schedule can be hard to get to show up consistently.

I kind of ran into the same thing since I enjoy the more challenging parts of the game, but I've found that with the Party Finder even the parties labeled as learning parties have a lot of people who don't actually handle learning or basic communication very well.

So if anyone wants to run things no more than two nights a week and needs another healer, let me know :)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

dogsicle posted:

S-E could go whole hog on lore integration and give honest healers an uncleansable stacking debuff that persists across sessions and eventually deletes their character.

Hold up. I don't play healer, what's this about lore and healers needing to do damage or they die or something? Spoil me, I don't mind.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I kind of ran into the same thing since I enjoy the more challenging parts of the game, but I've found that with the Party Finder even the parties labeled as learning parties have a lot of people who don't actually handle learning or basic communication very well.

So if anyone wants to run things no more than two nights a week and needs another healer, let me know :)

The problem is that people that can do the fight move on to farm parties leaving the same people that can't clear to keep putting up pfs expecting to get carried.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sotar posted:

Yo goons, when you hit the 70 MSQ trial, yell in FC chat to get a goon group, because pubbies seriously suck at it.

I actually really enjoy helping bads out on Royal Menagerie. It's a fun fight and it's not too demanding on your DPS as long as you nail every single mechanic. I'm really excited for the Extreme version of that trial.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

Hold up. I don't play healer, what's this about lore and healers needing to do damage or they die or something? Spoil me, I don't mind.

Part of the lore of the CNJ 1-30 quests is that Sylphie's mom was an honest healer that refused to ever use stone/water/air spells and so she wound up depleting her own life force, which killed her. Apparently casting DPS spells replenishes your life force or something, I don't remember.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sylphie was super awesome at healing like her mother was but they had a fatal flaw of not communing with the elementals and borrowing their power so they healed with their own lifeforce instead. Sylphie's mom died like an idiot for this while Sylphie nearly did the same until you and your CNJ senpai both slap sense into her.

It's a metaphor for "hey you know those elementally themed buttons like Aero and Stone? You should use those too."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Conjurers draw their aether from the elementals in and around the black shroud. The elementals apparently like blowing things up.

The CNJ in the screenshot is a novice who doesn't want to draw on the elemental's aether because her mom healed people just fine without any of that! Until she died healing someone because if you don't draw on the elementals you draw on your own aether and eventually kill yourself.

Moral of the story: wreck poo poo with stone and wind so you have their aether to heal with.

edit: are we putting spoiler tags on the first couple hours of arr?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Renegret posted:

pubbies.txt

this guy loving rules

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Farg posted:

this guy loving rules

if you don't say "to you!" and "to me!" over voice chat every time you do a tank swap i dont wish to know you

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

Conjurers draw their aether from the elementals in and around the black shroud. The elementals apparently like blowing things up.

The CNJ in the screenshot is a novice who doesn't want to draw on the elemental's aether because her mom healed people just fine without any of that! Until she died healing someone because if you don't draw on the elementals you draw on your own aether and eventually kill yourself.

Moral of the story: wreck poo poo with stone and wind so you have their aether to heal with.

Eh, I just got in the habit of tagging things, I don't think anyone actually cares.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

That sucks, I had 54 gathering ones saved up as vain progress towards the next book

I think you can turn the blue scrip tokens into the i180 gear. I got my gatherer retainers some full sets of i200 gear this way.

If you have some insane patience you could probably buy the jewelry and convert it into materia.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

If they weren't so adamant against the idea of healers dpsing, they could give white mages a mechanic where damage spells enhance their healing abilities in some way to fit with this theme. That would be a lot more exciting than lilies.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sylphie's Mom must've been a scrub. Red Mages use only their own internal aether just fine. Of course, they've spent a few hundred years developing techniques to use their body as a focus and accelerator, so what I'm trying to say is :gitgud:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Sylphie's Mom must've been a scrub. Red Mages use only their own internal aether just fine. Of course, they've spent a few hundred years developing techniques to use their body as a focus and accelerator, so what I'm trying to say is :gitgud:

I thought RDM used their swords/crystals as their focus, not their bodies.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm a casual but by being in several linkshells and keeping an eye on FC chat, I've gotten my Omega drops done with one group in one night, cleared LakEx a buncha times, and beat SusEx enough times to buy my RDM a rapier and get the BLM weapon as a drop. Get to know people and if you're good enough, they'll remember you.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SKULL.GIF posted:

I thought RDM used their swords/crystals as their focus, not their bodies.

It's sorta both, though either one could be a metaphor - not a lot of time is spent on the actual physicality of spellcasting and more the significance of it being your own energy rather than the world's.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Argas posted:

I'm a casual but by being in several linkshells and keeping an eye on FC chat, I've gotten my Omega drops done with one group in one night, cleared LakEx a buncha times, and beat SusEx enough times to buy my RDM a rapier and get the BLM weapon as a drop. Get to know people and if you're good enough, they'll remember you.

Networking... is good??

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

homeless snail posted:

Eureka is going to be incredibly good. Here's my evidence: Stormblood dungeons are great -> they're making one less dungeon on the patch that Eurkea will come out -> that missing dungeon energy will be transferred to Eureka via the law of energy transference -> Eureka is good.

This is also why Blitzball is going to be sick.

What is Eureka

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sylphie hosed up because she was blowing off guild lessons to spam healing. The metaphor works for healer DPS but it's not meant to be a 1:1 taken as a whole. There's more to conjury than spamming heals and part of what the conjurer's guild teaches is to not gently caress yourself from healing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

If they weren't so adamant against the idea of healers dpsing, they could give white mages a mechanic where damage spells enhance their healing abilities in some way to fit with this theme. That would be a lot more exciting than lilies.

Make stone proc lilies, maybe 20%. Bam, done.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

hobbesmaster posted:

Make stone proc lilies, maybe 20%. Bam, done.

Make it so that only DPS spells proc lilies.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It doesn't matter what procs lilies until they make Lilies actually good instead of bad

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wish I didn't hate Plenary Indulgence more than Lilies to be honest. What a dumb stupid spell that is.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Countblanc posted:

It doesn't matter what procs lilies until they make Lilies actually good instead of bad

They might as well just make lily procs directly reduce the cool down on assize because that's what's going to consume them. Maybe asylum.

PvP lilies reduce the cd of benediction to 60s and it's as good as it sounds.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

What is Eureka
Diadem III. The way Yoshida has described what he would like it to be tbh it sounds like some old school Castle Crushbone/Abyssea poo poo, just farming camps and NMs all day. Diadem is almost that already really but completely lacking in any kind of long term incentive structure for being there.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Kalenn Istarion posted:

What is Eureka

it's an upcoming zone or series of zones or something that's intended to fill a similar niche to diadem, except presumably not boring/awful, and it'll be involved in upgrading the relic weapon - that's all we know right now

efb god dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

They hate the idea of healers DPSing which is why this expansion made it more convenient to DPS as a healer and all the healers got upgrades to their basic offensive spells.