Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well, no, not quite. Ciri is Geralt's adopted daughter in the proceeding books and he definitely is more of a father figure to her than the nilfgardian emperor. I suppose its a testament to the game that it still worked for you despite not knowing that though.

I don't think I played far enough to actually meet Ciri and I wasn't familiar with the previous story, so I probably just missed that. I didn't have any particular problem with the story (I just don't play games for their stories generally) and there definitely wasn't the obvious mismatch in how much I cared vs how much the game expected me to care like in FO4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I suppose the reason why I'm not too bothered by 4 forcing you into a character (a dad that was a solider once, and he had a wife and son) is that all I really care about in a fallout game is exploring a big post apocalyptic wasteland with a dog and punching people to death with my robot fist.

Also, I did like the whole intro segment of 4 when the bombs get dropped. That's pretty cool.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tiggum posted:

"Role playing" in a video game is the most hilariously dumb thing that comes up in this thread. "This game's story is vague enough that it doesn't conflict with my head-canon, and that's what makes it great! This other game has enough of a story that I can't imagine I'm playing a totally different character to the one actually present in the game, therefore it is bad!"

This is exactly it. These people are writing their own fan-fiction and then getting upset that the original authors don't respect it. "Empire Strikes Back is poo poo because it directly contradicts the fact that Obi-Wan is Luke's father, as revealed in my imagination when I was watching A New Hope!"

Every game is an RPG but some are just more or less heavy on the 'RP' part. There's not a ton of character decisions to be had in Minecraft or Dynasty Warriors, compared to something like KoTor or Shadowrun.

Dragon Quest 83DS

Okay, so I like doing dress up and stuff in games when that's not the entirety of it. Sure, I'm probably going to just go for the premade kung fu outfits instead of mixing and matching random junk like daisy dukes, thigh high boots and a trenchcoat in Dead Rising, but I like having the option. Terraria was super neat and smart about this, by letting you have an additional slot in your inventory that you can put armor into that just shows up on the character model and doesn't affect stats in any way.

This remake doesn't have anything like that- which I wasn't expecting but I wish it did- but what really annoys me is how long it takes to get anything that actually doeschange what you're wearing. One character gets like two different outfit changes (and out of all of them only two aren't fanservicey) like three hours apart and the first one any other character can get is like another nine hours away from there! Since there's no way to just have people wearing different outfits for appearance's sake, you're gonna get slaughtered in fights because you'll be walking around with 20 or more points less defence than anything you could buy currently!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
You should all just play Fallout 1 and 2 like normal people with good taste,you can thank me later.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

You should all just play Fallout 1 and 2 like normal people with good taste,you can thank me later.

Good idea, then they will have content for this thread about all the ways those games have not aged well at all.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

SiKboy posted:

Good idea, then they will have content for this thread about all the ways those games have not aged well at all.

Fallout 1 is the kid you love, fallout 2 is the kid you didn't plan for who's a bit of a fat spaz but you love him all the same.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Enjoy them now, because in three centuries the Wikipedia page is gonna read like 'Fallout 4 is the fifth major installment in the original Fallout series. Chronollogically, it is the seventeenth game in the Expanded Fallout Fantasy multiverse'

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Dragon Quest 83DS

Wow I can't believe they were on Dragon Quest 83 back when the DS was big. How many have they made by now?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Fallout 1

The game's terrible and nearly unplayable mess. 20 Years after it's release game breaking bugs weren't patched out. You have to constantly save in case your companions decide to stand in the doorway whenever you enter a small room with no other exit. There's no way to move them, except to kill them.

Another thing with companions is that you have to barter with them in order to move things in and out of their inventory. As in if you give them something they'll respond with "OK, that's a good trade" but when you want to take something away from their inventory, you have to give them something of equal value in return. The only way to do this is via your Steal skill but guess what. The NPCs move around randomly so if they move after you target them with your steal skill it'll interrupt the two second bend forward and wave your hands animation that precedes any loving action in that game.

The user interface is terrible and clunky and most of the time in the game is spent on waiting for different useless animations to play. You enter combat, that's two seconds. You exit combat, that's two seconds. You switch hands, that's two seconds.

Then there are bugs like the one in The Glow which just crashes the game if at any point there was an explosion in the map and you want to enter an elevator to the 4th floor. Just hard crash at that same point because you used a grenade on any of the three floors you had to go through previously (I looked it up, that's what triggers it). I kept several saves but eventually overwrote the one before entering the glow, so I had to start the game nearly from the beginning.

Another thing happened when the whole population of Adytum turned hostile on me because the game randomly decided my follower missed and hit a townsperson in a giant firefight to free the townspeople of a fascist group of militants. The whole loving town descended on me after killing like 6 armored dudes that opressed them. There's no way to know if an entity is hostile to you. I had to save and load countless times because I was playing a nonviolent character so all the encounters could end for me with one critical hit on me which would be 2x my max HP. So yeah a slog of a battle and then suddenly the whole town goes after my neck.

Also gently caress me for trying to play a pacifist build - sneak skill just plain old doesnt seem to work in any appreciable manner - of course you find that out by putting all your skill point into it hoping it'll pay off. It doesn't. The only skill you really need is speech and that's about the depth of that. Everything else you use once or twice in the entire game and some skills you won't even use at all. There's a very specific character build that's just better than anything else - that's just bad game desing.

The game's broken as gently caress but at least the story is good, right? Well the story is I'm a vault dweller and need to find a water chip because the vault is running out of water. I have literally no connection with the vault, they don't provide me with any gear or anything, in fact it feels like a suicide mission. So gently caress the main "quest" I'm gonna make my own story. You can't. The game just ends if you dont deliver the water chip in 150 days. Have fun starting over. Regarding the dialogue options, these are the dialogue options in that game:
"Who are you"
"What can you tell me about [town]"
"Do you know where I could find a water chip"

For about every NPC in the game.

I could go on but the best thing is after I finally completed the game for the third time in a row due to the terrible game design (had to start from scratch several times due to above) is the final showdown with the Master and the big smart mindblowing moment of you can talk down the final boss and win the game that way is: "Mutants are sterile" (You learn this by randomly clicking around in the Brotherhood of steel base and one same looking npc just tells you "Oh btw im a scientist and mutants are sterile. Wild huh?"). So this all powerful master of mutants who constantly communicates with the mutants telepathically goes "wow really? let me ask one of my scientists... no he says its ok" then you retort "have you asked a female mutant?" and the master is like OH WOW GREAT IDEA and asks and goes "you sure? nobody? nobody had mutant kids? NOOOOOOOOOOO IVE BEEN A FOOL" and self destructs the entire compound thus ending the loomin giant mutant threat.

gently caress you Bethesda

Vic has a new favorite as of 13:35 on Jul 7, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Every game is an RPG but some are just more or less heavy on the 'RP' part. There's not a ton of character decisions to be had in Minecraft or Dynasty Warriors, compared to something like KoTor or Shadowrun.
I used to joke that Halo is an RPG because you play the role of Master Chief. Little did I know that yeears later my joke would be taken literally by the wild cave people of 2017

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well, no, not quite. Ciri is Geralt's adopted daughter in the proceeding books and he definitely is more of a father figure to her than the nilfgardian emperor. I suppose its a testament to the game that it still worked for you despite not knowing that though.

Edit: beaten.

I haven't read any of the books, and that's why I like the Witcher games so much. They're compelling on their own without relying on the books. Ciri got namedropped in W2 during a cutscene and forgot about that until my third run just before I started W3.

I like the parent-child dynamic on W3 because the story fully commits to that dynamic. Geralt and Yennefer feel like a divorced couple coming together for the sake of their child and that gets carried through the whole game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I used to joke that Halo is an RPG because you play the role of Master Chief. Little did I know that yeears later my joke would be taken literally by the wild cave people of 2017
In Metal Gear Solid I pretend I'm Raiden playing through the Shadow Moses simulation, and that's why I'm so bad at it.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Vic posted:

Fallout 1

That's all minor compared to the real thing dragging Fallout 1 (and 2) down: the jiggle your character does if you want to move straight up or down because the hex grid doesn't support it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

In Metal Gear Solid I pretend I'm Raiden playing through the Shadow Moses simulation, and that's why I'm so bad at it.

It's really clever/funny that the hardest metal gear game by a loving mile is the one where you're basically playing as yourself trying to relive mgs1 in real life

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's really clever/funny that the hardest metal gear game by a loving mile is the one where you're basically playing as yourself trying to relive mgs1 in real life
I found MGS2 a lot easier than MGS1.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I found MGS2 a lot easier than MGS1.

First person aiming trivializes the Mantis fight in Twin Snakes because you can lay prone to avoid the floating chairs and go for headshots.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Fallout 1 + 2 are fun games, but really unbearable for me if you don't speed up the game play by editing some of the games files.
Also not being able to command dogmeat (in 1) and your wife/husband in 2 led to so many reloads. I actually just ended up divorcing the later because she kept following me into a poison mine but keeping dogmeat alive in 1 is worth it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

All games are RPGs. It's very confusing when all games start getting labled action RPGs, however.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm playing Axiom Verge and I'm loving it. It's scratching that Metroid itch I'd had for a while, but I have two major complaints.

The grappling hook doesn't seem as useful and awesome as it should and, while there are tons of weapons, only a few of them seem to be really useful.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Vic posted:

Fallout 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI0MRyUFIXU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

All games are RPGs. It's very confusing when all games start getting labled action RPGs, however.

all games are actually farming simulators

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Fallout 4's story would be improved dramatically by taking out the 'Married with a baby' bullshit and just making you a dude (or lady) with a dog. You sons of bitches stole my puppy and I will move heaven and earth to destroy you and get him back :mad:

AND it would give you more RP opportunities with dogmeat. Do you just like dogs? Or is your fear that you'll never find your puppy, or find him dead, make you start to transfer your affection to this new dog so you don't feel the pain of loss for your prewar pup? Maybe you always dreamed of having a litter of puppies to love and cuddle. Or maybe this destroyed world has made you callous and malicious, and you want to raise an army of attack dogs.

But yeah I totally want to find and raise my son in this piece of poo poo wasteland full of psychopaths and monsters and murderous robots, I sure hope he isn't being raised by the only people on the planet with clean loving water.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

dromal phrenia posted:

Fallout 4's story would be improved dramatically by taking out the 'Married with a baby' bullshit and just making you a dude (or lady) with a dog. You sons of bitches stole my puppy and I will move heaven and earth to destroy you and get him back :mad:

AND it would give you more RP opportunities with dogmeat. Do you just like dogs? Or is your fear that you'll never find your puppy, or find him dead, make you start to transfer your affection to this new dog so you don't feel the pain of loss for your prewar pup? Maybe you always dreamed of having a litter of puppies to love and cuddle. Or maybe this destroyed world has made you callous and malicious, and you want to raise an army of attack dogs.

But yeah I totally want to find and raise my son in this piece of poo poo wasteland full of psychopaths and monsters and murderous robots, I sure hope he isn't being raised by the only people on the planet with clean loving water.

How did Shawn get all the way to the NCR and Lake Mead?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Hm, the defining moments of Skyrim for me all have to do with being unable to conform the world to your preferences, or vice versa in a way that would be logical or consistent.

True, Skyrim's got its own problems, but if you want to play as a drugged-up catman dragonpuncher, it never slaps your hands away to tell you how much Whiskers the Wonder Cat cares about orphan #1 and Lydia because of all the good times they had while working as court magician for the Emperor.

Things dragging 3/NV/4 down: you can no longer target the groin for attacks in VATS.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

dromal phrenia posted:

If they made the main story just post-apocalypse John Wick I'd be super cool with that.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I do think it sucks pretty bad that you can't bring a companion, and dogmeat with you. Apparently it's possible to do so with console command trickery but I could have sworn reading that is was actually planned at one point (and that there are two different "follower" variables, one for everyone that isn't dogmeat, and one specifically for him.) but it apparently didn't really mesh well with the new companion system.

I was really hyped for fallout 4, which is something I really try to avoid to do ever since sticker star came out, and while I don't think it lived up to my expectations, I really did enjoy playing it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Byzantine posted:

Things dragging 3/NV/4 down: you can no longer target the groin for attacks in VATS.

Didn't a goon do an lp where he only either punched people in the groin or went for the eyes?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

RagnarokAngel posted:

I also disliked some of the other details it tries to wedge in. Like a male PC is always a soldier pre-war even with a gun skill of 20%. A female PC is always a lawyer even if her int and persuasion are rock bottom.

Yeah that was screwy. PC as a former soldier makes sense - you appear to have no small degree of weapons training and take to using power armor like a fish to water, you've clearly used these things before and you're just putting your skills to work. Female PC as a lawyer who suddenly knows how to headshot a guy through the handle of a teacup from a mile away doesn't make any sense, there's no origin for her combat skills, and it would have made a lot more sense if the PC was always a former soldier and their spouse always the lawyer regardless of gender.

Going to second the impression that with Fallout 4, Bethesda chased two conflicting goals of "open world where you can do anything" and "intimate storyline with higher personal stakes", not realizing that you can't really pursue one without reducing the other. Witcher 3 is the best this has ever been done, a true anomaly, but even it suffered from bloat and a general feeling of "Geralt has better things to be doing right now than running errands for peasants". it's kind of impossible for these two philosophies not to run up against each other.

On the subject of role playing in...roleplaying games, I've found that you can't really describe it to someone who doesn't get it without coming across as a crazy person, so I don't even try.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Byzantine posted:

In FO1 and 2 it was practically the only good way to deal with deathclaws (IF you had a sniper rifle and IF you were a crackshot)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

When I played FO2 literally every action on the oil rig that could lead to a victory state instead crashed the game.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Yeah that was screwy. PC as a former soldier makes sense - you appear to have no small degree of weapons training and take to using power armor like a fish to water, you've clearly used these things before and you're just putting your skills to work. Female PC as a lawyer who suddenly knows how to headshot a guy through the handle of a teacup from a mile away doesn't make any sense, there's no origin for her combat skills, and it would have made a lot more sense if the PC was always a former soldier and their spouse always the lawyer regardless of gender.

Orrrr just have you set up your starting stats and skills first and have the game declare your profession from that. Have guns and first aid skills? Combat medic. High repair skill? Mechanic. And so forth and so forth.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Slime posted:

Orrrr just have you set up your starting stats and skills first and have the game declare your profession from that. Have guns and first aid skills? Combat medic. High repair skill? Mechanic. And so forth and so forth.

Much more important to have a huge voiced name list. The robot calling you Fuckface will never get old!

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Fallout 4 was written for the player character to be a cipher, with the character's motivation coming from the player themselves, but then they added the ever-present "kidnapped baby" plot. This might have worked, but Bethsoft didn't put in the effort to get me invested in this plot, so it fell flat, and it fell flat hard. Because they wrote the main character without a character (as you would a player cipher), but with a motivation separate from the player, the main character just felt super one-dimensional and boring as poo poo to me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dromal phrenia posted:

Fallout 4's story would be improved dramatically by taking out the 'Married with a baby' bullshit and just making you [...] Rick Sanchez looking for the Szechuan sauce.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Fallout 4 is the best one in the series.

Every single fallout had a mcguffin that you could mention in almost every convo you have in those games. Have you seen a water chip, geck, my dad, benny, shaun? I'm looking for my water dad is no better or worse than the baby angle. Why are you hung up on that poo poo?

They literally don't mention your character's profession after the beginning and even there it's not explicitly stated. A soldier who's not good with guns? Inconceivable. Stupid lawyer? Lawyers are all geniuses!

The dialogue select being boiled down to 4 options max has nothing to do with how much boring poo poo are you gonna have the npcs ramble about. Y'all misremembering that the dialogue in the games went like pick a topic, then click continue until the npc is done talking about it. Back to main dialogue menu, do the same for topic b. In fallout 1 & 2 the tree was very rarely more than 4 options, and even then it was a list kinda thing.

I'm playing through the terrible Fallout 2, currently in Vault 15 wishing I was playing Fallout 4 each time I press F5 for quickload because I did character creating wrong and can shoot only once a turn. Also Marcus kills Ian Sulik with burst fire every second turn. There's no way to avoid this. I'm doing this because the terrible village elder is crying in my dreams about my village dying!

Gonna stab next post waxing philosophical on the ludonarrative dissonance in fallout 4 in the groin.

Inco posted:

Fallout 4 was written for the player character to be a cipher, with the character's motivation coming from the player themselves, but then they added the ever-present "kidnapped baby" plot. This might have worked, but Bethsoft didn't put in the effort to get me invested in this plot, so it fell flat, and it fell flat hard. Because they wrote the main character without a character (as you would a player cipher), but with a motivation separate from the player, the main character just felt super one-dimensional and boring as poo poo to me.

Hey idiot how about you bring me a water chip because I told you to.

Vic has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Jul 7, 2017

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
"I'm looking for inanimate object X for unstated reason Y" allows a lot more wiggle room than "HAVE YOU SEEN MY SWEET BABY BOY???!"

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Vic posted:

Gonna stab next post waxing philosophical on the ludonarrative dissonance in fallout 4 in the groin.

It's not even ludonarrative dissonance. Fallout 4's writing is the worst I've ever seen in a narrative-focused genre.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Inco posted:

It's not even ludonarrative dissonance. Fallout 4's writing is the worst I've ever seen in a narrative-focused genre.

False.

Writing-wise the Fallout games are ranked as follows:
1. Fallout 4
2. Fallout NV
3. Fallout 2
4. Fallout 1
5. Fallout 3

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Prey is a very fun game but the AI for enemies can be really awful. I entered the Crew Quarters and within three minutes all but two mind-controlled humans incinerated themselves on an open flame in a hallway. Human A died to fire, Human B sees Human A's corpse and tries to investigate, and so on.
Then the Telepath that controlled these humans floated above my head helplessly - despite having a ranged attack - as I ran circles in an empty pool and shot the Typhon to death. Meanwhile Nightmare couldn't navigate a basic double-wide door and grunted at me as I ran circles under the space-squid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Inco posted:

I hear you but it can't really be understated how much worse Fallout 3 is in the narrative department, though it has less to do with the character you play as and more the events surrounding them.