Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so, genuine question

what's the best RPG for running a setting primarily inspired by Heavy Metal, 2000AD, Berserk, and Manowar album covers

I'm thinking Shadow of the Demon Lord, DCC or LotFP

Not LotFP, the characters are too dirtfarmer for what you would want to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plutonis posted:

Well dude in tactical combat videogames like Fire Emblem I place my archers to shoot those loving Pegasus Knights for their combo damage bonus and they still manage to loving miss in a 80 to 90% hit chance so 4E definitelt catches that feel.

This is why you play Advance Wars so you don't have to put up with that poo poo.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

okay, legit question: how easy is it to transfer NBA to an American setting? it seems like Dracula Dossier in particular is absurdly loving British, and the way I'm planning to run it would likely necessitate me transferring the setting to Texas (I'm doing it as a pseudo-LARP/ARG and I live in Texas; the PCs are internet normies recruited by a rogue Edom agent and sent PDF copies of the Dossier/Dracula Unredacted, and I'm going to be running a 24/7 IC discord for them to discuss their findings with each other and me. if they find something and enough of them can agree that it's a thing, I go into OOC mode and run it as a mini-session).

there's a pretty obvious connection in Quincey Morris, but I feel like I'd have to either ditch the 1894 Network entirely otherwise or seriously kludge it for this to work.

e: maybe I should be asking this in the GM Advice thread? I dunno

Honestly, adapting Dracula Dossier as it is to America is pretty difficult. As you correctly point out, it's fairly setting specific in terms of the history of British espionage, Dracula's history in Europe, etc. Honestly, Dracula just isn't going to loving care about America when there are any number of incredibly vulnerable first world governments within a much easier reach. It's tightly married to its source material, which is on balance a good thing but does throw a wrench into your plans.

My approach would be to take the generic high level structure and translate the themes over to work with the history of American espionage. Boiling it down to the thickest, saltiest solution makes the story about "Movers & shakers in American espionage learn of a powerful sentient being from native folklore, decide to make it an asset, get played and it takes a century of work to correct the original mistake." You'd need to dig around in Native American folklore to find something suitable as the asset, then sketch forward the equivalent of the individual eras as the various incarnations of US spy agencies wrestle with the thing they dug up that they should have left alone.

Now, if your players are set on vampires then you've got to alter the thesis a bit. Let's say that the first part of the Dracula Dossier happened, but Dracula decided that returning to his homeland was untenable and any territory of the British Empire was right out. He finds a way to travel to America where he, like all American immigrants, can make a fresh start. If the native soil theme is important to you, his dwindling powers are such that he gets to America only long enough to sire progeny (maybe he takes a new bride?) and the story is about how American intelligence tries to prove they're better than their OId World counterparts by succeeding with the child where the British failed. They gently caress up of course, and you're off to the races.

Or as a third option, work backwards instead of forwards. Instead make the thesis "Pop culture story about vampires is a cover-up for what REALLY happened, and the players learn The Truth." Interview with a Vampire is the obvious choice, but you might also find good raw material in something like The Hunger or The Lost Boys. However, this means you have to throw out Dracula Unredacted entirely and create some sort of new secret source material for your players to comb through for clues.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

This is why you play Advance Wars so you don't have to put up with that poo poo.

Too bad Advance Wars is a dead series

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah sure, waiting for the new one to come, Intelligent Systems is sure to make one this year instead of yet another loving FE. :qq:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Better that Advance Wars fell on its sword than becoming whatever the gently caress Fire Emblem is now.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Two things that I think are important to Fail Forward, and help prevent a lot of abuses.

First of all, the players should know the consequences are related to the roll. It shouldn't be something the GM does behind the scenes because it lets the players know that the dice they roll are important. Second, it should be something that springs naturally from the narrative.

To take an example earlier, you wouldn't just switch out goblins for tougher kobolds because either you aren't telling your players (which disconnects that roll from the narrative as they experience it), or else it doesn't spring from the narrative (it doesn't make sense for the goblins to "turn into" kobolds).

What would work would be if they failed their gather information, survival, or what-have-you roll and ended up in the wrong village, running into angry, more dangerous kobolds instead of the goblins they were expecting. This connects their roll to the consequences and it's a natural consequence from what they're doing in the story.

Now, you also want to make sure that there's some way to advance the story from there, so it's properly Fail Forward. Maybe the kobolds have information that lets them bypass the goblins. That'll depend on why they were going after the goblins to begin with.

The other issue, of players feeling like they made things worse, is an issue of stakes. The stakes have to be something that's appropriate to what the roll is. What feels appropriate is going to depend on how the scenario is set up, and what the expectations of the players are. One thing that can help a lot is that you don't have to wait until they fail to tell them what the stakes are. Sometimes, especially when the stakes flow out of the narrative naturally, the characters can know that, hey, there are guards listening around. There are multiple hostile villages in the area. There are bears in the woods. Not only does this help make the stakes seem more natural, it also makes them feel better about their rolls when they succeed.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

The Deleter posted:

Better that Advance Wars fell on its sword than becoming whatever the gently caress Fire Emblem is now.

A really good and popular series?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

A really good and popular series?

For weirdos.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Deleter posted:

Fire Emblem Fates is really, really good from a gameplay standpoint, though. Like I know people get annoyed at the relationships/kids stuff, and I can't blame them (the kids were really shoehorned into Fates and didn't belong at all), but Fates has some incredible map design, especially in the Conquest campaign. Playing Conquest on Hard/Classic (permadeath) and getting through with zero deaths was one of the most satisfying tactics game experiences I've ever had. The maps use enemy skills in really clever (and mean) ways and they're legitimately challenging and fun to think through and play.

The story is absolute garbage, but this is one time where the sheer quality of the gameplay way more than made up for it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I liked the Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Conquest but the rest of the games since the Wii one was really really uninspired. Valentia took away the stupid genetics mechanic but now you have insanely lovely growth rates and repeated crappy maps, jfc.

E: Yeah Fates Conquest kicked rear end and had some real cool and challenging maps and had good ways to use the Dragon Vein gimmick

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Plutonis posted:

I liked the Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Conquest but the rest of the games since the Wii one was really really uninspired. Valentia took away the stupid genetics mechanic but now you have insanely lovely growth rates and repeated crappy maps, jfc.

Valentia is kind of weird in that it's a faithful remake of a game from back before they'd really nailed down what Fire Emblem is. It carries a lot of its original incarnation's weirdness.

I'm hoping the next actual new Fire Emblem game continues in the direction Fates went in, specifically Conquest. Though I hope they ditch the "marry and have kids and then recruit those kids" thing, because the justification for it in Fates was amazingly stupid. Like they can keep romantic supports and stuff, I know that's a big draw for some players who came to the series with Awakening, but the kid unit part is going to get harder and harder to shoehorn in.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

JackMann posted:

First of all, the players should know the consequences are related to the roll. It shouldn't be something the GM does behind the scenes because it lets the players know that the dice they roll are important. Second, it should be something that springs naturally from the narrative.

I was just about to post this. Setting transparent stakes for a roll goes hand-in-hand with the fail-forward concept. I once had a player much like hyphz described, who hated making difficult rolls for fear of what the consequences would be - she hated the tension. Once I started setting stakes, that all changed. There was still plenty of tension (I'd argue more), but because she knew exactly what would happen if she failed a roll, suddenly there was a lot more buy-in. Doing it this way makes it clearer when a player is going to want to spend their metagame resources (if you're playing with those) to improve the odds of a roll, rather than "Well, if I'd know *that* was going to happen, I would have/wouldn't have bothered spending all my hero points on the roll."

I also stopped getting objections along the lines of "Hold up, I want a sense motive check to see if I can tell he gave us wrong directions" when I started setting stakes on the roll: i.e., "Succeed and he gives you directions to your destination. Fail and he's a street thug who leads you to his gang's ambush."

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Plutonis posted:

E: Yeah Fates Conquest kicked rear end and had some real cool and challenging maps and had good ways to use the Dragon Vein gimmick

I like the low growth rates

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hyphz posted:

The last case is especially bad because it tells players "an easy way to progress is to be bored".

Are you worried that your players will choose to be bored in order to advance a plot they care about advancing?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I got really fed up with Fates, but I bought Birthright cos I assumed I was a scrub who would get owned. If Conquest is good I might try that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Deleter posted:

I got really fed up with Fates, if Conquest is good I might try that.

Just don't expect even a passable story.

The gameplay is excellent, the story not so much.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Andrast posted:

I like the low growth rates

Man killing twenty gargoyles for a level up that gives me just a goddamn +1 on luck is a horrible experience

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Conquest has Odin Dark and Arthur so it actually has the best fire emblem story

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Subjunctive posted:

Are you worried that your players will choose to be bored in order to advance a plot they care about advancing?

If the players are excited to try and defeat Mr Dragon, but they're exploring a planar fortress and enjoying it, occasionally finding a hint or a power up but never a lead to where he is, they would be mightily annoyed to tell them that they would never have been able to learn where to find Mr Dragon until they were bored of the fortress. Or "until the end of the session" which is the other horrid pacing fudge.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hyphz posted:

If the players are excited to try and defeat Mr Dragon, but they're exploring a planar fortress and enjoying it, occasionally finding a hint or a power up but never a lead to where he is, they would be mightily annoyed to tell them that they would never have been able to learn where to find Mr Dragon until they were bored of the fortress. Or "until the end of the session" which is the other horrid pacing fudge.

That was the other half of your post, which I didn't quote because I don't care about it. I'm not asking about "bored as only way to advance", that's obviously stupid if not a straw man. I'm asking why it's harmful for players to know that if they get bored, you as the representative of the world will move things so they stop being bored. Will it make your players decide to be lazy in order to not have to do something fun?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I mean, there's a balance to be struck there. Players should feel that their actions should be what's driving the story, not their GM worrying that they're bored. On the other hand, GMs should avoid boring their players, and may need to shorten sections to do so.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Deleter posted:

I got really fed up with Fates, but I bought Birthright cos I assumed I was a scrub who would get owned. If Conquest is good I might try that.

Yeah, Conquest's gameplay is seriously among the best in the series, but do yourself a favor and skip every cutscene. Conquest is definitely harder than Birthright, but it's harder for interesting reasons (enemy skill combinations and map design) instead of just swarming you with strong enemies.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hyphz posted:

Literally every GM I've played with, as well as myself, know to move things forward somehow when players get bored. And, honestly, the idea behind "fail forward" is something we've been doing long before anybody gave it a name because it's basically the codification of common sense, sound advice that you see in a lot of core rulebooks for a lot of games that aren't D&D.

Because, frankly, smaller games don't have the same wealth of resources that allow for the same meticulously-planned, little-improvisational-skills-required experience that, apparently, certain D&D GMs create and certain D&D players crave.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent bear rpg

Clearly you need Drunken Bear Fighter: http://lookrobot.co.uk/2012/04/03/drunken-bear-fighter-an-rpg-i-wrote/

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

hyphz posted:

What scenario are you arguing here? All I can decipher is: "The players are excited to do Thing A. They are currently doing Thing B, which they also like. They'd be annoyed if Thing B didn't somehow feed into Thing A organically." Which, I mean... yeah. That's good narrative design, especially in a goal-focused tabletop RPG, or really any episodic story that still has an overarching plot. But what does that have to do with failing forward?

Dec 26, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Yeah sure, waiting for the new one to come, Intelligent Systems is sure to make one this year instead of yet another loving FE. :qq:

RIP.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm too depressed and it's affecting my GMing... someone do a fire emblem rpg based on the good ones...

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Plutonis posted:

There's a new Advance Wars coming out, it's called Wargroove and set in a fantasy universe for some reason.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Moriatti posted:

There's a new Advance Wars coming out, it's called Wargroove and set in a fantasy universe for some reason.

We have no idea if the developers of that are any good at all

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Oh, I'm aware, I just hadn't seen it mentioned and figured I'd bring it up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of tabletop RPGs based on video games, I was wondering what it would take to do a good Monster Hunter-ish tabletop game. I'm thinking something where a big draw is fighting big creatures that require preparation ahead of time. I've tried to think through it and I'm not sure how to make that fun, though. Anyone tried a similar sort of game?

Also I really want to play in a Final Fantasy-based Strike! game now that I've been playing way too much FFXIV. I want to do like a Martial Artist/Leader Red Mage, where stances are Enspells where you enchant your weapon with elemental magic and Leader powers are white magic, or maybe see if I can flavor the Archer class to be a Dragoon (all the shots are jumps instead).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 7, 2017

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I think Strike's Titans are probably your best bets. you can use typed damage optional rules if you want to emulate the prep time.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Try playing FFD6! It's actually good!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm playing in a D&D4e game set in an alternate Ivalice from FF12. I couldn't tell you how well it matches the feel because I only ever played the first one on NES and the SNES one with the giggling psycho god-clown, but the other players are all far more familiar with FF12 and seem to enjoy it fine. Mechanically just about the only thing that's differed is home brew Ivalice races - I play a Bangaa.

Edit: oh, and he's set up custom abilities for Job Crystals and the traditional FF status effects and such.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Well as far as Ivalice is concerned the only games that are set in it are FF12 and FF Tactics.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

And Vagrant Story + the Tactics Advances

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Neither of those count

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

S.J. posted:

Neither of those count

:wrong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i'm fairly certain that the only game which takes place in Ivalice is Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift.

• Locked thread