Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

gonadic io posted:

I'm British and say zero day :shrug:

yeah i don't think i've ever heard anyone call it anything other than a zero day apart from right when the term first started gaining currency in the nineties (am i going completely senile or did it start in the warez scene?) when people would say oh-day.

mind you anyone using internet jargon in speech sounds like a loving idiot no matter how they pronounce it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ate all the Oreos posted:

i wouldn't mind this so much if I could just put a stock install on the phone or whatever via a process that's not "download some skeevy poo poo from xda-forums"

i'd think they could do something with the branding at least, like you can't use the Android name or call your phone a Certified Google Android(tm) Compatible Device or whatever if you don't allow users to run stock or uninstall poo poo or whatever

the latter is exactly what they do: you can't call your phone an android phone or include any google apps (including the play store framework) without signing into a huge largely secret device manufacturer agreement. the agreement ties all google apps together (so you can't install YouTube without also including Google Now) and mandates integration down to things like the google search bar being top center on the default home screen and having chrome be the default browser and be on the quick access bar.

you might be thinking that maybe google doesn't want to include bloatware controls for fear of antitrust prosecution but they already do include bans on preinstalling particular app types in the agreement, they just only do so when the apps compete directly with google (they prohibit including any competing search bars for example). and the other terms of the agreement are much much worse than any app restrictions, with the real nasty bit being that it straight up prohibits an android manufacturer from making any device based on open source android code, even if they don't brand it as Android or include google apps. that's why Samsung made Tizen instead of just using AOSP.

so in short google could probably make android less of a privacy and security nightmare but they apparently dgaf about anything past ensuring they get first crack at collecting user data.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

gonadic io posted:

zed's dead baby

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

so in short google could probably make android less of a privacy and security nightmare but they apparently dgaf about anything past ensuring they get first crack at collecting user data.

i'm really not sure why anyone thinks anything google has ever done has ever been about anything other than this

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, pagerank was a long con

:rolleyes:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, pagerank was a long con

:rolleyes:

as soon as google decided they wanted to make money they became an advertising company

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i'm really not sure why anyone thinks anything google has ever done has ever been about anything other than this

:jerkbag:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gonadic io posted:

you're not supposed to just go and blow up my cover like that :argh:

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

adorable

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/justin/status/883171036283285508

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

sms_is_not_secure_2fa_part1000000.txt

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

google should probably come up with some sort of certification for crapware free like microsoft's "signature edition" laptops.

It was going to be called Android Silver. The program was shut down after a grand total of zero manufacturers participated.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mrmcd posted:

sms_is_not_secure_2fa_part1000000.txt
well paypal doesn't have any other type of 2fa, are you saying people should just stop using paypal???????

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

i genuinely thought this was a repost, wasn't there someone else complaining about the exact same thing a few months ago?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i genuinely thought this was a repost, wasn't there someone else complaining about the exact same thing a few months ago?

it's just another example of why sms 2fa is dumber than poo poo

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

just let us use our own rsa dongles already

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

if you ever say it "zero day" to a british person you'll be laughed out into the loving oblivion. do you also "zero" when dictating a phone number with 0 in it?

what

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i hear it's pronounced zed-oh in canada

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i've literally never heard it pronounced anything other than zero day from english speaking peoples in the british isles as well as the colonies

when you say "oh-day" i think of his brother qusay hussein

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

I guess that it's odd that you'd say zero for the number in most situations, but oh when dictating phone numbers

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Language is weird

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

that's what ive heard in europe the few times ive got to hear it,, and most of countries here stick to british english :shrug:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

when you say "oh-day" i think of his brother qusay hussein
but enough about american sense of "humour"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i've only ever pronounced and heard it pronounced zero-day in real life, maybe actual scene hackers pronounce it differently but who cares

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that's what ive heard in europe the few times ive got to hear it,, and most of countries here stick to british english :shrug:

People saying oh-day ?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jre posted:

People saying oh-day ?

yea

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
nought-day

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

Dear Mr. Loaf

We wish to welcome you to [vendor]

You are now registered with our store and have account privileges: With
your account, you can now take part in the various services we have to offer
you. Some of these many services include:

Order History - View the details of orders you have completed with us.

Permanent Cart - Any products added to your online cart remain there until
you remove them, or check them out.

Address Book - We can deliver your products to an address other than yours!
This is perfect to send birthday gifts direct to the birthday-person
themselves.

Products Reviews - Share your opinions on our products with other customers.

Your account login details, which you can use to review your purchase, are
as follows:
Username: [my email address]
Password: [A PLAINTEXT loving PASSWORD]

barvo

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

also 0-day makes me think of buh'weat

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
as far as i know there aren't any national differences with oh vs. zero. zero is the name of the digit and the word for the exact value 0, and in pretty much every other situation where the digit is pronounced you say oh. so 500.09 is five hundred point oh nine, 1209 fifth street is twelve oh nine, and room 401 is four oh one. but the rules about pronouncing numbers are weird, like in addresses 1290 is twelve ninety and 410 is four ten, but in other contexts like phone numbers or id numbers they'd probably be one two nine oh and four one oh, unless they were actually counting something

oh but nought is different, that's not used in american english outside of idioms

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

rjmccall posted:

as far as i know there aren't any national differences with oh vs. zero. zero is the name of the digit and the word for the exact value 0, and in pretty much every other situation where the digit is pronounced you say oh. so 500.09 is five hundred point oh nine, 1209 fifth street is twelve oh nine, and room 401 is four oh one. but the rules about pronouncing numbers are weird, like in addresses 1290 is twelve ninety and 410 is four ten, but in other contexts like phone numbers or id numbers they'd probably be one two nine oh and four one oh, unless they were actually counting something

oh but nought is different, that's not used in american english outside of idioms

The idiom is naught. As in a synonym for nothing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

yeah i don't think i've ever heard anyone call it anything other than a zero day apart from right when the term first started gaining currency in the nineties (am i going completely senile or did it start in the warez scene?) when people would say oh-day.

mind you anyone using internet jargon in speech sounds like a loving idiot no matter how they pronounce it

it started in warez to denote a crack that was available the same day the software was released and made for mad bragging rights.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
oh no, i used an archaic variant spelling of an almost equally archaic word

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

nowt you've done it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

did anyone else notice SA was down for two hours due to a bad SSL certificate

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Wild

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

i only noticed for like an hour, yes

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
"oh" is sinokorean for 5

Not the native Korean counting system, where it's dasut, and not in actual Mandarin where it's wu3, just sinokorean

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I noticed a cloudflare error page and assumed either the lovely old forums software or the lovely bad cdn software had poo poo the bed. Again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
someone probably tried to turn on strict origin cert CN validation in cloudflare

https://crt.sh/?id=168610427

• Locked thread