Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Vic posted:

Every single fallout had a mcguffin that you could mention in almost every convo you have in those games. Have you seen a water chip, geck, my dad, benny, shaun? I'm looking for my water dad is no better or worse than the baby angle. Why are you hung up on that poo poo?

Yardbomb posted:

Having an ultimate goal is pretty different from the game trying really hard to force you to care about your ugly potato baby you got to know for like three minutes.

Being told that your goal is the water chip or the GECK and then being sent off to do your poo poo is pretty different from the game forcing SHAUN into tons of unrelated looking dialogue, constantly trying to reaffirm that yes you indeed must love your stupid child you never got to know and desperately need him back. One type is just the kickoff for your big dumb hero's quest, what that actually means to you is whatever, while the other is constantly putting words in your mouth and shoving a really played out, specific character onto you. Also Fallout 3 was real bad as well, water dad was a similarly lame story beat.

Vic posted:

Writing-wise the Fallout games are ranked as follows:
1. Fallout 4
2. Fallout NV
3. Fallout 2
4. Fallout 1
5. Fallout 3

Yeesh what the gently caress, missed this at first. Put 4 just above 3 and crank the rest up a notch as they are then you're good.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Jul 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"HATE NEWSPAPER"
-Pulitzer Award recipient John Fallout

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I just found out in H I T M A N that viewcones for enemies were originally based on chest position instead of head position. So now there's a random chance that even though you're at the periphery of an enemy's position you could still trigger an alert if they just happen to swivel their head in your direction.

I don't like that. I can deal with it but I don't like that kind of RNG in a game that's more or less systemic in design. I dunno if it's already in the game but I'd rather they randomized enforcers if they wanted to add some RNG to the game.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Pick a Baby Hater trait which replaces "Shaun" with "My immersion" in dialogue.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
Divinity: Original Sin

While Crafting systems are the worst feature in every video game that has them, Divinity's runs on the same impenetrable moon logic that old Adventure games used to use.

As an example, let's say you want to fill your empty cup with water. Can you use a puddle? No, gross. A stream? Nope. The ocean? Well no, that's salt water. How about this well in the middle of town that is the town's water supply? Nope, you can only fill buckets from the well. Can you pour a bucket of water into a cup? Of course not, that's ridiculous.

The only way you can fill a cup with water is from a barrel of water, which is also a highly destructible environmental hazard so I hope you've been aiming your spells carefully or else you'll have to go all the way back to town.

New Butt Order has a new favorite as of 17:47 on Jul 7, 2017

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I like Hollow Knight so far! I wish games would cut it with the "your hitbox touched theirs, you take damage!" thing, though.

If I walk into a spiky turtle thing or diseased dude, sure, but if I bump into a praying mantis man or mushroom buddy just idly standing there it's kind of silly.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
I would love to see Vic and Tiggum playing an actual tabletop roleplaying game

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Fallout 4's writing was dogshit. The sidequest that killed the game for me had me tracking down, picking up, and returning a mother deathclaw's egg for the good resolution, because MOTHERHOOD IS THE BEST THING, GEDDIT? PARENTING?! FIND SHAUUUUUN!

It makes no sense within the game world, had all the subtlety of a brick through a window, and looped back to the main plot in an incredibly hamfisted way. Credit where credit's due, it has the best gameplay of any of the Fallouts, but that one sidequest took me out of the game completely.

Non-Fallout talk, Hollow Knight is really good but I keep attacking unfamiliar NPCs because I can't tell if they're friendly or enemies. The one time I didn't I bounced off of an enemy, so now everything gets a whack to see if it takes damage.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

PubicMice posted:

People who play nothing but a stat sheet with min/maxed class and racial features (hiding in the back of the bar looking dour when the party has to RP and jumping to the forefront when poo poo turns into a miniatures wargame) are pretty common in the hobby.

People who call their character a toon or worse, a build.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

PubicMice posted:

Pretty sure Tiggum starts violently shaking and twitching if he has to talk to people irl without knowing and being able to maximise the outcome ahead of time

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Action Tortoise posted:

I just found out in H I T M A N that viewcones for enemies were originally based on chest position instead of head position. So now there's a random chance that even though you're at the periphery of an enemy's position you could still trigger an alert if they just happen to swivel their head in your direction.

I don't like that. I can deal with it but I don't like that kind of RNG in a game that's more or less systemic in design. I dunno if it's already in the game but I'd rather they randomized enforcers if they wanted to add some RNG to the game.

I don't get it - surely if an enemy turns his head and sees you it makes a hell of a lot more sense?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

OutOfPrint posted:

Fallout 4's writing was dogshit. The sidequest that killed the game for me had me tracking down, picking up, and returning a mother deathclaw's egg for the good resolution, because MOTHERHOOD IS THE BEST THING, GEDDIT? PARENTING?! FIND SHAUUUUUN!

It makes no sense within the game world, had all the subtlety of a brick through a window, and looped back to the main plot in an incredibly hamfisted way. Credit where credit's due, it has the best gameplay of any of the Fallouts, but that one sidequest took me out of the game completely.

Non-Fallout talk, Hollow Knight is really good but I keep attacking unfamiliar NPCs because I can't tell if they're friendly or enemies. The one time I didn't I bounced off of an enemy, so now everything gets a whack to see if it takes damage.

What? How can you hate a quest that gives you a deathclaw gauntlet?
And honestly, I loved the horror build up in that quest, then trying to fight the thing futility, and then stumbling on the holotape and returning the egg felt like the right thing to do.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I don't get it - surely if an enemy turns his head and sees you it makes a hell of a lot more sense?

I guess but it's an RNG thing that scrubs runs in some instances and not others.

It's one of those things where I think realism gets in the way of the game. Like weapon durability.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

OutOfPrint posted:

Yes, this too!
More than once I've walked into a new area, seen a derpy little buddy, and walked right into it and taken damage because I thought it was one of the (incredibly diverse and well designed) NPCs!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Vic posted:

Pick a Baby Hater trait which replaces "Shaun" with "My immersion" in dialogue.

You should create this mod and upload it to nexus or wherever the mods go these days. It'd be a top download, I'm sure.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Fallout 4 is bad because your character is always a soldier or lawyer regardless of stats. Unlike New Vegas, where a character is so mentally retarded that they can barely talk and is effectively blind with a Perception of 1 makes a living as a package courier. Or Fallout 1 and 2 where you an entire community always pins their sole hope of survival on you no matter how weak, stupid, or ill-prepared for basic survival you are.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Guy Mann posted:

Fallout 4 is bad because your character is always a soldier or lawyer regardless of stats. Unlike New Vegas, where a character is so mentally retarded that they can barely talk and is effectively blind with a Perception of 1 makes a living as a package courier. Or Fallout 1 and 2 where you an entire community always pins their sole hope of survival on you no matter how weak, stupid, or ill-prepared for basic survival you are.

Finally someone gets it. Those Fallouts let me play as me.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

Finally someone gets it. Those Fallouts let me play as me.

It's true, if you ratchet your int to the lowest you communicate in grunts

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Sloober posted:

It's true, if you ratchet your int to the lowest you communicate in grunts

Speech in general is just a series of grunts and mouth noises. 🤔

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vic posted:

False.

Writing-wise the Fallout games are ranked as follows:
1. Fallout 4
2. Fallout NV
3. Fallout 2
4. Fallout 1
5. Fallout 3

I'd put it at

1. Fallout NV
2. Fallout 1
3. Fallout 4
4. Fallout 3
5. Fallout 2

But I also really hate Fallout 2.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

The cold storage damaged you in your head canon. Have fun playing a genuinely good game Fallout 4

EDIT: I unironically like they stole my child as a main quest line. gently caress you goons!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'll gut every one of you fuckers before I let you slam a thing I enjoyed in a game!

JAY-SON

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Fallout 4 was a much better story than Heavy Rain.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vic posted:

The cold storage damaged you in your head canon. Have fun playing a genuinely good game Fallout 4

EDIT: I unironically like they stole my child as a main quest line. gently caress you goons!
This is the "dragging games down" thread, you'll want take your crusade to the little things in games thread.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

New Butt Order posted:

Divinity: Original Sin

While Crafting systems are the worst feature in every video game that has them, Divinity's runs on the same impenetrable moon logic that old Adventure games used to use.

As an example, let's say you want to fill your empty cup with water. Can you use a puddle? No, gross. A stream? Nope. The ocean? Well no, that's salt water. How about this well in the middle of town that is the town's water supply? Nope, you can only fill buckets from the well. Can you pour a bucket of water into a cup? Of course not, that's ridiculous.

The only way you can fill a cup with water is from a barrel of water, which is also a highly destructible environmental hazard so I hope you've been aiming your spells carefully or else you'll have to go all the way back to town.

I don't remember 100%, but I'm quite sure you are wrong about the water example. The system is pretty obtuse and superfluous, just like any crafting system, but iirc it is pretty good about interchangeability of items, moving contents between containers etc.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Vic posted:

Fallout 4 was a much better story than Heavy Rain.

As much poo poo as I'll give FO4, you could probably give it a little better of a comparison than that :v:

Also I'm at least glad it seems we generally agree that Fallout "We're gonna have to have a stern talk about that city you nuked son" 3 sucks.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 20:34 on Jul 7, 2017

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Maybe people just need a more flexible attitude towards roleplaying. I only wanted to find my stupid baby boy because he's my property and NO ONE STEALS FROM ME. I AM THE ONE WHO STEALS. Plus now that the world is an apocalyptic shithole, he'll make good bait. Or maybe I had a special gene or something? I forget. But I didn't want him for love.

Then I found out that the institute named my son "Father" and he was an old fart now so I shot him in the head because he's useless to me

Don't want to be a soldier? Fine, you were a [insert fantasy job here] and [choose way that poo poo went bad] and you found the corpse of a military man and stole his identity for those sweet benefits, and also boned his wife.

I don't really remember 100% but I think you can usually say "None of your loving business" when people ask what you're looking for, or why you're in town, or whatever. I'd prefer you had options for like, I want cheap booze, I want a job where I kill people, I want to steal everyone's stuff because this is a Bethesda game, etc. but its better than nothing.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Reminder that roleplaying in video games typically also involves making decisions at some point which has never happened in a bethesda game.

Even if you're a ex-soldier father looking for your son you can still ask the player whether X or Y is the better option in a scenario and ask them to really think about it.

Bethesda's version is always 'shoot puppies' or 'don't'.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Stuntman posted:

This is the "dragging games down" thread, you'll want take your crusade to the little things in games thread.

Shut up you're dragging games down. I've bitched more about Fallout than you probably will in your life!

Fallout 2 is a terrible game in which if you obtain a car which reduces the tedious jrpg like random encounters (your main source of xp) and your travel time. But if you accidentally leave the map after a random encounter with your car still in it, you lose the car forever.

Also in towns, if you have stuff in the trunk, the trunk can be separated from the car and appear randomly in other location you appear in. Like just a ghost trunk.

That happened in my unfinished playthrough like half a year ago. Right now Vic the trader refuses to talk to me. You can still use his repair skill but cant enter his combat menu.

Is this dragging this game down enough?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In the Far Harbor DLC the android dude talks about how you don't remember anything from the pre-war era except brief moments immediately before the bombs fell, not even allowing the player to suggest that he might have created some sort of past for himself. It is taken for granted that the character as well as the player never entertained the possibilities of their background. I think that sums up the attitude of Bethesda to roleplaying going forward - if a thing didn't happen on screen, it doesn't exist. You aren't expected to have your own agency and fill in the blanks, you are expected to follow a series of cues and passively accept your character's scripted interactions as you do so.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I liked Far Harbor and I thought the story implications that they left up to the player were good ones. At least compared to the main campaign. I will never suffer under the assumption that I'm not a synth with an implanted backstory ever again

Agree though that "hey your backstory is pretty sparse, what's up with that" is kind of a self-own on Bethesda's part.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Guy Mann posted:

They send you into the wastes in fallout 1 because you are : A so retarded you're basically expendable or B so intelligent and or physically capable that it's a no brainer.

Also you're not the first one they sent out,also on the back of the fallout 1 gamebox it mentions that you drew the short straw.

I loving love Fallout 1.

Things dragging a game down : Dishonored,everyone is American when they were clearly going for a Victorian steampunk vibe,even some of the dialogue subtitles make it pretty clear that it should be cockneys or northeners speaking,it sounds weird coming from americans.

Brazilianpeanutwar has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Jul 7, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Deified Data posted:

I liked Far Harbor and I thought the story implications that they left up to the player were good ones. At least compared to the main campaign. I will never suffer under the assumption that I'm not a synth with an implanted backstory ever again

Agree though that "hey your backstory is pretty sparse, what's up with that" is kind of a self-own on Bethesda's part.

Bethesda are capable of self-awareness.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Did fo4 get a rerelease or something

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Calaveron posted:

No it's just a hot button in this thread, like Dark Souls.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Calaveron posted:

Someone mentioned it in the thread. No one can have a sane discussion over this particular game so we all patiently wait for the inevitable Dr. Who war cry and, well, the thread starts looking like this:

until everyone gets it out of their system.

Poulpe posted:

No it's just a hot button in this thread, like Dark Souls.

Dark Souls chat never got this ugly in this version of the thread. People walked on eggshells talking about DS2 here back then because we all remembered how stupid the discussion got and never wanted to fall back into that cesspit.

Fallout for some reason brings out the worst in people.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Action Tortoise posted:

Someone mentioned it in the thread. No one can have a sane discussion over this particular game so we all patiently wait for the inevitable Dr. Who war cry and, well, the thread starts looking like this:

until everyone gets it out of their system.

Dark Souls chat never got this ugly in this version of the thread. People walked on eggshells talking about DS2 here back then because we all remembered how stupid the discussion got and never wanted to fall back into that cesspit.

Fallout for some reason brings out the worst in people.

You're being unreasonable. Please post about fallout dragging a baby

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Vic posted:

You're being unreasonable. Please post about fallout dragging a baby

quod
erat
demonstrandum

Vic
Nov 26, 2009