Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Kibayasu posted:

"You're going to hit them with a box?"

"I will kill him!"

"With what?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He was Pied Piper's lawyer in Silicon Valley and loving kills it, he's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drXzppfQE8Q&t=11s

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

That's Lloyd Braun.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

poo poo I got some watching to do

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Lord Hydronium posted:

That's Lloyd Braun.

He's crazy. There was no wormhole. He just liked ringing that bell.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lord Hydronium posted:

That's Lloyd Braun.

WampaLord posted:

Serenity now, Deanna.

Insanity later.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

They made such a big deal about the advantages you can get as an empath but has there been a single time Troi gave the Enterprise an advantage in anything so far? Seriously. Even in this episode where she owned Creep at the end it didn't even matter because the wormhole was a dud and the agreement was already made.

That's the advantage - Troi can keep her job even though she's useless.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lord Hydronium posted:

That's Lloyd Braun.
He always made me uncomfortable.

You know, not with the mindrape. Mindrape is part of the package. But did he have to be so close when he was mindraping.

you mean he's a close mindraper?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

They're making a big deal about a stable wormhole's value but you'd think it wouldn't be as big of a deal if they already have FTL travel. I dunno maybe if it goes outside the classically observable universe or something.

I don't know, I think a wormhole to the gamma quadrant might actually turn out to be kind of a big deal.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Thanks to this thread I've been binging Star Trek: Enterprise. The first two seasons weren't as bad as I've heard, just mostly boring with a couple of decent hits. Not even close to Voyager terrible just... bland. Just finished season 3 and that was far better. I'm a bit sad knowing I only have one more season and that it ends on the wettest of fat man farts. Cast was pretty decent. No hologram Doctor but no Neelix. Jeffrey Combes is amazing and I sigh with longing every minute he is onscreen. Loved the idea of a the whole early days of Star Trek and seems like such a rich environment for stories. That and the brewing Romulan War seems like it would be fun to watch. Really wish this show would have lasted longer. The guy that introduced me to Star Trek hated this show but loved Voyager. Don't get that at all. Seems many on the internet hated this show and I just don't understand why. Also seems weird to blame this show for "killing Star Trek". Thanks Günes for the recommendation.

Also laughed at the idea of a Beagle running amok on a starship and leaving poops everywhere. Wish they had devoted part of an episode to that poor red shirt that has to follow the dog around with a bag and the future equivalent of a pooper scooper. Porthos is officially my favourite Star Trek character. If only they would make him a sweet cosmonaut style suit to wear around the ship.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jeb! Repetition posted:

They're making a big deal about a stable wormhole's value but you'd think it wouldn't be as big of a deal if they already have FTL travel. I dunno maybe if it goes outside the classically observable universe or something.
A stable wormhole would be a crazy good scientific find. They'd be probing and running level 4 sensor sweeps of it until Bajor joined the Federation.

Things like wormhole warp could result from it.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Stable wormholes are incredibly valuable in Trek because the holy grail of 24th century science is to learn how to artificially construct stable wormholes exactly where you want them. Once you can do that you can cut a trip across Federation space that takes a month in a warp-capable starship down to a six hour ride in an impulse-only shuttlecraft (including the connection at Space Atlanta).

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Von_Doom posted:

Seems many on the internet hated this show and I just don't understand why. Also seems weird to blame this show for "killing Star Trek".

I guess there were two possible ways to react to Enterprise after Voyager. You could either say "at least this isn't nearly as bad as Voyager" or "I can't believe they're squandering the premise of another Star Trek series." I think both of those things are true, but which one you choose to focus on depends on how prepared you are to forgive the franchise's shortcomings at the time you watch it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Warp drive is fast... but a wormhole is much faster. Cross the galaxy instantly instead of in decades. Or if you can figure out how to custom build a wormhole, cross the Federation instantly instead of in three months.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Jeb! Repetition posted:

He just looked directly at the camera, it's killing me

This happened once in TOS:

"Well would you look at that - I finally got the last word!" :haw: [Executive Producer Gene Roddenberry, closing credits]

[e] this was also the episode where they dubbed in the comedy coconut-falling-on-head *donk* sound to a Kirk fight scene

spincube fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 7, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

spincube posted:

This happened once in TOS:

"Well would you look at that - I finally got the last word!" :haw: [Executive Producer Gene Roddenberry, closing credits]

If you cover each half of his face, you either get Sad McCoy or Grinning McCoy.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

There's also the limitation of poo poo breaking down; if you're running with enough energy to power replicators and getting raw matter and all your components are easily replicable that's fine if you have a crew to install poo poo.

Voyager supposedly didn't have much energy to spare for that, presumably because she wasn't willing to meander at Warp 5 in order to leave enough spare. Also, Voyager had some non-replicable components and occasionally would run out of critical rare elements or whatever.

It's also easy enough to conjecture that a smaller ship like Voyager doesn't have the space to spare for an antimatter generator, and that it was considered an acceptable design trade-off for a ship not expected to go as far afield as one of the big explorer-type ships.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Von_Doom posted:

Thanks to this thread I've been binging Star Trek: Enterprise. The first two seasons weren't as bad as I've heard, just mostly boring with a couple of decent hits. Not even close to Voyager terrible just... bland. Just finished season 3 and that was far better. I'm a bit sad knowing I only have one more season and that it ends on the wettest of fat man farts. Cast was pretty decent. No hologram Doctor but no Neelix. Jeffrey Combes is amazing and I sigh with longing every minute he is onscreen. Loved the idea of a the whole early days of Star Trek and seems like such a rich environment for stories. That and the brewing Romulan War seems like it would be fun to watch. Really wish this show would have lasted longer. The guy that introduced me to Star Trek hated this show but loved Voyager. Don't get that at all. Seems many on the internet hated this show and I just don't understand why. Also seems weird to blame this show for "killing Star Trek". Thanks Günes for the recommendation.

Too little, too late. That's pretty much Enterprise in a nutshell. It didn't commit to its premise, and instead doubled down on entrenched Star Trek tropes, which were already getting super stale with Voyager. It didn't ever do much to rise above the - you said it - blandness of workaday Trek. The entire franchise settled into a deep, deep rut because everyone involved was either burned out, checked out, or kicked out.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Hollismason posted:

The Prophets also never make sense anyway because Sisko supposedly joined them but also met them in the past and if the prophets exist at all times then why the gently caress didn't Sisko appear to himself and be like " Look this is what's going down".

Like there are two Siskos basically.

Normal Time Sisko

Prophet Time Sisko

Prophet Time Sisko has a point of reference for when he firsts meets the Prophets so he should just be like " Here's all the bad poo poo that is going to happen". He also knows what to tell him that would gently caress up time because he sees the future possibilities.

Prophet Sisko is prolly the Sisko we saw in that episode he got hot flashesbajoran visions from a real sexyenlightening holosuite program: bugfuck crazy.

Hope that answers your questions!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Hmm so Jadzia just died. Worf really can't be allowed happiness can he.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
More like Ron Moore loves killing women whenever he can.

(I know it's a cheap shot, I don't care, deal w/ it)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/883492537008357377

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

More like Ron Moore loves killing his wife whenever he can.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Please tell me this guy is a known shitfucker and you didn't just find this lying around.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

FuturePastNow posted:

Warp drive is fast... but a wormhole is much faster. Cross the galaxy instantly instead of in decades. Or if you can figure out how to custom build a wormhole, cross the Federation instantly instead of in three months.

Isn't Federation space only like an hour across at most. The Defiant can go from DS9 to earth in less than an hour. The Enterprise E made it from the Romulan border to Earth in like 5 minutes.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Hahaha, I'm watching Covenant. Is Dukat the most committed to being a shithead of any Star Trek Antagonist? Like, being a total rear end in a top hat at every given opportunity?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Orv posted:

Please tell me this guy is a known shitfucker and you didn't just find this lying around.

It was posted in the funny politics forum, C-SPAM. But yes Matt Yglesias is a fairly well known pundit.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Isn't Federation space only like an hour across at most. The Defiant can go from DS9 to earth in less than an hour. The Enterprise E made it from the Romulan border to Earth in like 5 minutes.

Warp speed and the size of the Star Trek universe have never been consistently or sensibly quantified and Star Trek is probably better off for it.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Orv posted:

Yes, Matt Yglesias is a known shitfucker.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I think it is funny that some random planet wanted to charge everyone to use the wormhole just because it was around their system.

It's not like they built it.

If I see a magical portal that just happened to open up in my neighbor's backyard that could instantly transport me to work everyday, you bet your rear end I would just jump the fence and use it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I think it is funny that some random planet wanted to charge everyone to use the wormhole just because it was around their system.

It's not like they built it.

If I see a magical portal that just happened to open up in my neighbor's backyard that could instantly transport me to work everyday, you bet your rear end I would just jump the fence and use it.

I mean, countries regulate and tax travel on waterways in their territory in the real world

It seems like a pretty similar situation to me

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I accidentally hit Google Now On Tap while at the thread list.

The only search result? Home Soil.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Good news, a Star Trek fan was involved in a felony not related to pedophilia:

http://okcfox.com/news/local/police-fight-over-star-wars-and-star-trek-led-to-assault

quote:

OKLAHOMA CITY (KOKH) — Police say a fight over Star Trek and Star Wars led to an assault in the metro.

Jerome Dewayne Whyte, 23, was arrested July 1 on a complaint of assault and battery, possession of marijuana and outstanding Oklahoma County warrants.

Oklahoma City Police Department reports show that Whyte and another man were in the living room of an apartment in the 1400 block of NW 16 Street when they began arguing if Star Wars or Star Trek was better. The victim told police he became frustrated and stated "You're just a trick" before walking back to his room.

Whyte allegedly followed the man and shoved him to the ground. The victim got back up and told police he stated "You wanna replay that?" and was once again shoved to the ground. Police say Whyte then wrapped his arm around the victim's neck and began choking him. The victim was near unconsciousness when he pulled out a pocket knife. Whyte let go and reached for the knife, cutting himself. He then left the room.

Police later arrested Whyte and booked him into the Oklahoma County Jail.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

dont even fink about it posted:

Warp speed and the size of the Star Trek universe have never been consistently or sensibly quantified and Star Trek is probably better off for it.

You aren't really wrong or anything, but Star Trek takes this so far in the opposite direction that it's usually impossible to get any sense of place or distance.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

You aren't really wrong or anything, but Star Trek takes this so far in the opposite direction that it's usually impossible to get any sense of place or distance.

I dunno the new Star Wars movie are far worse about it.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

socialsecurity posted:

I dunno the new Star Wars movie are far worse about it.

Star Wars has always had absolutely zero sense of how long space travel takes. It's always "time to go to x!"

CUT TO SHIP FLYING INTO ORBIT

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

VitalSigns posted:

Early TNG had a couple episodes where the Enterprise-D was the first Starfleet ship to visit all these remote Federation worlds in so-and-so years, which makes me think that Federation space takes a really long time to traverse, or at least, they have some outlying colonies that are really far away from the core worlds.

Of course, the real answer is what dont even fink about it said, all distances in Star Trek are whatever the plot demands.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Spoeank posted:

Star Wars has always had absolutely zero sense of how long space travel takes. It's always "time to go to x!"

CUT TO SHIP FLYING INTO ORBIT
Both the originals and the prequels would tend to at least cut away for another scene elsewhere in the movie after dudes jumped to hyperspace, and ep 4 suggested it was a long enough trip that Obi-wan had time to bust out the trainers and teach Luke a few tricks. It's not clear whether it's just a few hours or like a week, nor does it need to be, but you get the sense of time passing.

In TFA it's pretty much just VWOOM - *psssh* WOOM and they're there. They have the same issue with the Starkiller base gun. It isn't like you need a TON, but like, Star Trek Beyond managed to do this.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

IIRC, in First Contact's book, it takes the E three days, during which there's a running battle from the Typhon sector (where the film said they were meeting the cube) to Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nessus posted:

Both the originals and the prequels would tend to at least cut away for another scene elsewhere in the movie after dudes jumped to hyperspace, and ep 4 suggested it was a long enough trip that Obi-wan had time to bust out the trainers and teach Luke a few tricks. It's not clear whether it's just a few hours or like a week, nor does it need to be, but you get the sense of time passing.

In TFA it's pretty much just VWOOM - *psssh* WOOM and they're there. They have the same issue with the Starkiller base gun. It isn't like you need a TON, but like, Star Trek Beyond managed to do this.

Agreed on all points, but I interpret that last TFA jump as an artistic choice. Any pause in that sequence would have messed with the pace of the scene.