Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

boxen posted:

What episodes of Roadkill had a big mopar? I remember the Fury they went to LeMons with, the junkyard Cuda, and Freiburgers Super Bee (but the last two aren't fullsize), but that's all that comes to mind. The Hot Rod Garage episode with the stroker 440 (holy gently caress is it cheap to stroke a 440) didn't help me wanting one. I poked around on Hot Rod's archives and found some articles from around ten years ago where they bought a Newport and did some upgrades, exhaust, brakes and suspension at least.

The General Mayhem had multiple episodes (the first one was four years ago holy gently caress). You can kinda count the BLASPHEMI too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

PT is probably sold!

And I might have already replaced it in the fleet.

whoops

Late night drunk talk you should live in a free or almost free apartment as long as you can (as I hypocritically post from my paid off house that is worth 50% more than I paid for it) but still accumulate wealth. Invest.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

Good luck, don't get yourself loving murdered. :)

Bad time to be openly gay in that part of the world.
Murdered/stabbing? eh, There is a higher risk for that infront of my house in Vallejo. Actually the first murder since we've been here happened two nights ago.

I don't go around advertising what I do in my bedroom, like stated before. While I am 'out' I dont go hitting on every guy I see or actively try to ram my dick down his throat, contrary to popular opinion. It is of low concern imo.

beep-beep car is go posted:

Congrats on the move! I'm hoping for lots of photos in threads here and on Instagram :D How's your Ukrainian?

My Ukranian is worse than my Russian, I just haven't studied it yet.(I don't want to confuse myself doing two languages at once). (I can also hire a tutor when needed)

stump posted:

Google translate makes that sound like a Knockers and Snatch classified.

haha this is awesome. And that sums up a lot of the used vehicle ads here which makes me a little wary of buying something used like a 2buck whore.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I hope you do well and document it for us, not sure why you would think goons wouldn't be interested. Be safe. We care.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

everdave posted:

I hope you do well and document it for us, not sure why you would think goons wouldn't be interested. Be safe. We care.

Safety is our number #2 priority!

I spoke about the plans with some other goons/friends prior and the general consensus was that it was either the dumbest loving thing, or why would anybody want to leave the us and move to such a dump, that I should try Atlanta instead.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

cursedshitbox posted:

Murdered/stabbing? eh, There is a higher risk for that infront of my house in Vallejo.

Well, yeah, but that's Vallejo for you.

Vallejo actually has a pretty interesting crime scene because it tend not to be "gangs" per se, but families. Very weird. But not low crime.
OTO if you want a cheap, grand old house and don't mind hookers on the front lawn, hell yeah. My heart died a bit when the Dillon Bread Company closed. One of the few good places to eat there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

Late night drunk talk you should live in a free or almost free apartment as long as you can (as I hypocritically post from my paid off house that is worth 50% more than I paid for it) but still accumulate wealth. Invest.

We're playing it by ear for now. And since I have free parking at mom's and dad's I figure I can do whatever I want car wise. I still want an Evo but realistically that's 1/4 the cost of a house. I can get a house and THEN get an EVo.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

Safety is our number #2 priority!

I spoke about the plans with some other goons/friends prior and the general consensus was that it was either the dumbest loving thing, or why would anybody want to leave the us and move to such a dump, that I should try Atlanta instead.

Well you are doing it and people are concerned we can drop that now and want pics incoming.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Jesus gently caress the cruiser is trying to bankrupt me.... $2000 in 6 days. $1600 for tyres on Monday, then yesterday the Aux battery that runs the fridges poo poo the bed. $400 to replace THAT!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

We're playing it by ear for now. And since I have free parking at mom's and dad's I figure I can do whatever I want car wise. I still want an Evo but realistically that's 1/4 the cost of a house. I can get a house and THEN get an EVo.

Buying this house was amazing smart for me. Living for free or almost sounds amazing smart for you. Bubbles happen and then burst you do what you want to do.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I wish my house was worth a decent amount more than I paid for it (just now recovering to pre-crash prices) so I could move. Of course that also sort of means I wish I had a job prospect elsewhere, or that my company would let me work full time remote (might actually be a possibility at some point).

It is currently 10:45pm. There is a lovely 12mph breeze outside, which is doing exactly nothing to make it cool, simply moving some dust with the loving 107 degree air at almost 11pm...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
PICS: The second photo in this album is for Adiabatic. He mentioned the unfinished bridge, welp I hiked to it last week.

http://imgur.com/a/WmCxE

These pics are from the first week or so that we were here.

white and red lettered pavilion is "resturant louisiana" it's not a resturant at all but a food court of sorts.
melrose is an american themed diner. These people adore Americans and their culture.
lastly is some rides in the middle of the park. Their fair rides are permanently fixed. "тир" Means shooting gallery. Note the characters.
I'd like to point out how loving clean they keep the area. I've seen very little trash on the ground here. That surprised me most of all.

http://imgur.com/a/5Xb2z

This is the home of our makerspace. 500sq-m. (5400sq-ft) 600A 3Ph on tap.
(yes, that first tin plate cover is from 1966, and stamped Ukranian SSR.)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Looks like a pretty nice place to live, except for that language barrier thing. :)

Good luck CSB.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
CSB I may have missed the post but uh, what exactly prompted this move?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

CSB I may have missed the post but uh, what exactly prompted this move?

Bay area COL is out of hand so he went the complete opposite way?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

nm posted:

Bay area COL is out of hand so he went the complete opposite way?

That is part of it, but it can be negated with "move to atlanta :v: ".

In short, we want to evolve our projects, and can't do it easily stateside. Cheaper tools + cheaper cost of living + intelligent individuals + cheap materials make things a gently caress yes.
Fwiw a good amount of soviet's engineering texts reside about an hour north. I fully intend to get lost in that library.

You can argue these points, absolutely. But ahahahaha my last Collaboration was with a CAL mechanical engineering grad that was anti-plastic/composites and renewables from the garden only kinda guy. There's some stuff we want to work on that will take a more open mind than OMG PLASTIC IS RUINING THE WORLD.

and yep. There are downsides.

1. Air polution here is equivalent to 00's Los-Angeles.
2. The language barrier, is less of a barrier, but more of a small kerb.
3. Corrupt rear end government just like home in the U.S. It's just more in your face and not hidden by the uppercrust.
4. Pootypoots shenanigans. Yep, this could be a problem. We know.
5. Homophobia, this honestly is a pretty small point to us.

Things We'd like to see the makerspace do:
1. opensource ukraine into the 21st century.
2. Fix the recycling issues here.
3. Help push the steel mills into using scrubbers.

We've already two businesses all for this project. One of which holds interns at the state universities and has reached out to them already. Of our 10-15 friends, they've reached out to their networks. So far there is massive support for such a thing. We just have to successfully pull this off.

I've chatted with two ex-pats that live here. one has been here for almost 4 years, from rural TN. His biggest complaint? the random shutting the water off in his building for maint. The other is from LosAngeles. He had no major gripes, but his parents were from Russia.

Best case: we do cool poo poo.
Worst case: we return to the states a few dollars poorer, but we still gained knowledge and experience.

oh did I mention we can visit CERN on the regular? :D

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
So you got tired of Bay area crazies and decided to go full eastern bloc because that somehow seemed more reasonable?

Your life man, hope it works out well.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Don't forget you can bribe the cops to ignore almost anything and they sell beer absolutely everywhere.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I rent a small garage to store all my car poo poo. Currently it is full. Just been given 7 days notice to clear it so they can knock it down. Bastards :(

cursedshitbox posted:

My Ukranian is worse than my Russian, I just haven't studied it yet.(I don't want to confuse myself doing two languages at once). (I can also hire a tutor when needed)

If you haven't already, then learn your Cyrillic alphabet first. I found that after doing that you can guess your way through loads of stuff.

I spent 3 or 4 months working in Kazakhstan, and really enjoyed it so what you are doing sounds pretty loving awesome to me!

Has your other half transferred his existing job over there? seems to make it easier to get started if he has.
I'm trying to work out possible visa requirements to move myself and my work elsewhere and reading up on it all makes my head hurt. Can't imagine doing it somewhere like Ukraine without help!

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jul 8, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cursedshitbox posted:

We've already two businesses all for this project. One of which holds interns at the state universities and has reached out to them already. Of our 10-15 friends, they've reached out to their networks. So far there is massive support for such a thing.
"Errr... We were told Naomi Wu was coming?" *Looks hopefully at your suitcase on the offchance you're smuggling her in there*

Liquid Communism posted:

So you got tired of Bay area crazies and decided to go full eastern bloc because that somehow seemed more reasonable?

Your life man, hope it works out well.
Well... Why not? There's a lot of opportunities out there in the world, if you can find likeminded people, and there's a strong argument that this kind of thing is going to be a lot more fulfilling than doing what a hundred other people are doing "back home". To a lot of people, a cheap cost of living and stuff to physically do that feels like it's actually achieving something is a lot more reasonable than whatever the zeitgeist is for the bay area.

Tomarse posted:

I rent a small garage to store all my car poo poo. Currently it is full. Just been given 7 days notice to clear it so they can knock it down. Bastards :(
It may be worth asking on Pistonhead's law section if you're entitled to more notice, but I strongly suspect that all they need to do is give notice of one rental period, and however you're actually paying them, that period is technically one week.

How much/what kind of stuff are we talking about? Do you have an alternate place to store it?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

It may be worth asking on Pistonhead's law section if you're entitled to more notice, but I strongly suspect that all they need to do is give notice of one rental period, and however you're actually paying them, that period is technically one week.

How much/what kind of stuff are we talking about? Do you have an alternate place to store it?

Its right behind my house so its not gonna be that hard, just a major pain in the arse since having that garage enables me to keep my workshop clear enough to actually work in! I'm gonna drag it out and hopefully sort it and chuck lots out and dump the rest under my carport -Then fill my shed (and probably some of the house) up to the brim!

They have been talking about knocking them down for the past 5 years - and I have been renting mine with a 'no maintenance' clause (and I have been using another already empty one for free), but we were expecting more notice. Its the local council so they have likely spent 12 months tendering this to get the cheapest shittiest contractor they can find to do it.
If they don't start knocking the fuckers down the day I loose possession (Mon 17th) I'm gonna be pissed off

I've got a fully stripped down saab that I have just resprayed - and guess where all the bits I have stripped off are.... My garage also contains a moped, a cement mixer, 2 saab engines, a range rover LT95 gearbox, my collection of spare wheels and tyres, and then every part saved from 2 broken saab c900's along with all those 'useful' bits of wood/metal that get in the way anywhere else.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd say get up B&Q for some cheap OSB (the 11mm stuff is like a tenner a sheet if you buy at least 5) and make crates for everything, that lets you stack stuff and keeps it pretty weatherproof for a fair while.

I need to do something about my collection of axles on that front.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

cursedshitbox posted:

I think it's official enough to post. The wife and I are moving to Ukraine. it is not open for debate or renegotiation.
We've rented a 500sq-m warehouse, and are starting the second makerspace(that i'm aware of) in this country.

Buy my tools, truck, bus, and our fabrication poo poo, and david's DR. (my bike is tentatively sold already)

You all should know that incase poo poo goes awry we do have an exit strategy planned. We know what we're getting into.
Now that it's official, here's the official congrats. If your pig of a truck wasn't on the other side of the country I'd buy it as a tow rig. Don't think we have enough trucks going out that way anymore to smuggle it back either. If you're up for it I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to see a project thread for the makerspace and all the other stuff you see over there.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

hes a social eater so if you dont sit with him while he eats he wont eat then he'll puke bile on the floor by the bed but otherwise he's a pretty good boy
We're babysitting a social shitter....he will not take his morning dump unless you're standing there to observe it

Rhyno posted:

I hate to say don't buy a car but house then car is the way to go....most of the time. If you can get a garage space for the new toy at your current place that might be the way to go assuming you can tolerate whatever BS you're enduring for the 'nearly free housing'

cursedshitbox posted:

I've chatted with two ex-pats that live here. one has been here for almost 4 years, from rural TN. His biggest complaint? the random shutting the water off in his building for maint. The other is from LosAngeles. He had no major gripes, but his parents were from Russia.

oh did I mention we can visit CERN on the regular? :D
I'm in half-rural TN and water shut off for maintenance is a common occurrence, what a whiner. Think we still have a small system (and contacts) at CERN...I'll send some emails

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cats are assholes. Get four cat teacups

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Is the red reservoir on the intake manifold the the coolant overflow tank or something else?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

I'd say get up B&Q for some cheap OSB (the 11mm stuff is like a tenner a sheet if you buy at least 5) and make crates for everything, that lets you stack stuff and keeps it pretty weatherproof for a fair while.

I need to do something about my collection of axles on that front.

This is how it looked first thing today:

It doesn't look too bad in the photo but those shelves up the sides are full of car parts the the roof and the back is waist high with wheels/tyres.

I'm going through it and attempting to sort and chuck quite a lot of it (or ebay anything that is worth money). I have so far found 4 starter motors and 7 alternators, and have 3 Saabs worth of suspensions and hubs/calipers.
I also appear to own 8 fuel jerry cans and 3 water ones. This is probably a bit excessive..

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I need to start clearing out my two sheds of 'junk' so we have less poo poo to move. Tons of E21/E30/VW parts that I'll probably never use and aren't worth trying to sell. My brother hauled off a truck load of wheels and tires (mostly his) yesterday but still has a full load of his E30 parts stash. E21/E30 stuff not worth selling is going on relevant facebook groups for free and whoever shows up first to take it away gets it.

Also have to figure out the best way to get rid of a ton of R/C poo poo I haven't touched in years. Several helicopters, planes, cars/trucks along with enough spare engines and miscellaneous parts to last someone a while. Really don't want to sell things piece by piece so I'll probably end up selling it as one big lot for cheap-ish.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

cursedshitbox posted:

Ukraine adventure

Look, if nobody else is going to say it, I will:

This looks awesome and I'm jealous.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

beep-beep car is go posted:

Look, if nobody else is going to say it, I will:

This looks awesome and I'm jealous.

Absolutely. Please start a thread.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
While it looks like everyone else is having fun I was doing boring poo poo like a front end rebuild today.
What does everyone do to hold the rubber pads/spring mounts in place on a mcpherson strut? I was doing that today and there's no way I could keep them in place while uncompressing the spring while keeping an eye on both the top and bottom ones at the same time and while holding the rattle gun and strut.

I was going to use tape or glue but that needs the rubber to be clean and degreasing the rubber just made it swell up and it doesn't fit anymore :lol: . But I'm still asking because I wasted 3 hrs today on one side anyway, still have to do the other side properly tomorrow. (thinking about getting new rubbers of course but they're $30 ea here. Still might redo todays job so replace both, but wondering what other people do out of curiosity because these people didn't when they fitted lowered spring on blown shocks ).
This car, this loving car has drat lowered springs but completely hosed everything else, who the gently caress replaces springs but (e: does) no other maintenance?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 8, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ferremit posted:

Is the red reservoir on the intake manifold the the coolant overflow tank or something else?

On the Subaru turbos they have an upper coolant reservoir to feed the turbo with (both after shutdown and during normal function). There are some aftermarket ones that are less dominant of the engine bay but it's only really a problem if you start installing a rotated-mount turbocharger or something else that requires a bizarre intake path.

It makes filling coolant on a turbo a little complicated, since the upper reservoir becomes the highest point in the system, not the radiator. It also requires a pressurized rad cap which leads to people thinking their head gaskets have gone bad when in fact their ancient rad cap is bypassing off the top reservoir.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Fo3 posted:

While it looks like everyone else is having fun I was doing boring poo poo like a front end rebuild today.
What does everyone do to hold the rubber pads/spring mounts in place on a mcpherson strut? I was doing that today and there's no way I could keep them in place while uncompressing the spring while keeping an eye on both the top and bottom ones at the same time and while holding the rattle gun and strut.

I was going to use tape or glue but that needs the rubber to be clean and degreasing the rubber just made it swell up and it doesn't fit anymore :lol: . But I'm still asking because I wasted 3 hrs today on one side anyway, still have to do the other side properly tomorrow. (thinking about getting new rubbers of course but they're $30 ea here. Still might redo todays job so replace both, but wondering what other people do out of curiosity because these people didn't when they fitted lowered spring on blown shocks ).
This car, this loving car has drat lowered springs but completely hosed everything else, who the gently caress replaces springs but (e: does) no other maintenance?

The biggest thing to remember for me is to keep the spring and strut mount indexed with the strut.

For reassembly, I put the compressed spring over the strut, then the strut mount I barely push onto the shaft and put the nut on. That holds everything in place, and then slowly decompress the spring, keeping the partses in line. Am I missing the operative part of your question?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sold the Ka within 30 minutes of listing it on Ebay.... TO A COMPLETE loving MORON.

"Yeah, I live in Portsmouth* and I'm going to come up and buy the car and take it to a garage, how much is it going to cost to fix? Can you take it to a garage for me to get a quote?"

loving idiot loving cuntbastard mouthbreathing twathammer wankstain timewasting fuckwitted JESUS H GODBASTARD CHRIST. :fuckoff:

Relisted it.

*This is a near 200 mile distance.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

On the Subaru turbos they have an upper coolant reservoir to feed the turbo with (both after shutdown and during normal function). There are some aftermarket ones that are less dominant of the engine bay but it's only really a problem if you start installing a rotated-mount turbocharger or something else that requires a bizarre intake path.

It makes filling coolant on a turbo a little complicated, since the upper reservoir becomes the highest point in the system, not the radiator. It also requires a pressurized rad cap which leads to people thinking their head gaskets have gone bad when in fact their ancient rad cap is bypassing off the top reservoir.

On the Audi 5 cylinders, the turbo coolant is pressurized because it pulls from the block so it self bleeds. They have an after-run pump to cycle coolant post shut off to keep coking down.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

InitialDave posted:

Sold the Ka within 30 minutes of listing it on Ebay.... TO A COMPLETE loving MORON.

"Yeah, I live in Portsmouth"

Oh hey I sold a cheap car to someone from Portsmouth once who asked almost the same questions. Guy was a time wasting shitler so I relisted as well.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
One of my mates is down there right now, but is refusing to be a good sport and go poo poo in the guy's letterbox.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I've got a couple greencarded Ukrainian software engineers that work on my dev team, absolutely brilliant guys. They have endless stories about the ridiculous corruption in their country (which makes the 'corruption' the US suffers under seem like a party gag - there you only have to be mildly cash rich and the police will look the other way as you murder someone and will likely help you if you're mildly rich +1...) and while they still enjoy visiting back home now because of family they're glad to be paying the cost of living in LA because at least when landlords/police/authorities renege on deals here there's some sort of pretense of recourse. There, you're just straight hosed as they take your assets and beat you up.

It's common to say the US is corrupt because we have shithead cops, shithead politicians, and oftentimes byzantine bureaucracy to get anything done - but there is a huge gulf between the two societies in reality.

Good luck on that adventure, CSB, should be super interesting. Stay safe, keep a roll of cash on you at all times, and we're looking forward to the thread. I hope the first thing you do is define 'makerspace' because that sounds like the Bay Area equivalent of 'a machine shop' to me. :v:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A car almost merged into me on the way to the grocery store. We were going no faster than 35 mph and I almost thought about letting him do it so I could get my bumper paint damage fixed.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

It's common to say the US is corrupt because we have shithead cops, shithead politicians, and oftentimes byzantine bureaucracy to get anything done - but there is a huge gulf between the two societies in reality.

I've been spending a fair amount of time in Mexico over the last year, and yea while I think we have a lot of issues in our government here in the US, when you really start to learn about other countries, we are light-years ahead of places like Mexico and apparently Ukraine when it comes to how the system treats the average citizens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Wow, I live in the middle of nowhere Indiana, and I just had someone come to my door and ask if I knew where stuff was buried on the property and where I want the fiber run. loving sweet. Love my rural telephone co-op all the sudden.

• Locked thread