Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Anyone remember the name of the place? I'm heading out there for AT in a few weeks. Also, any recommendations for places to checkout nearby would be cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

pkells posted:

Anyone remember the name of the place? I'm heading out there for AT in a few weeks. Also, any recommendations for places to checkout nearby would be cool too.

It's called Deutsches Haus. It's like right across from the library.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

pkells posted:

If you're heading to Ramstein, the German place is Deutches Haus and the British place is the Brit Cafe.

If you're looking for a preposterous amount of food, Big Emma's serves "German food at American portions". Don't order a full portion of anything unless you want to have two more meals to take with you, there's tons of it. If you're looking for good Italian stuff Gabriella's in Landstuhl is good. For wings they've got ShaWingz, it's not great but they've got a poo poo ton of flavors some of which are not listed. If you're in the mood for Asian/sushi, Mr. Lian is outside the east gate and it's rather good.

Germany's gotten better about taking cards for things but I still take euro to any given restaurant because German stores in general are still kinda iffy on card usage.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Incidentally, if you *do* have a huge appetite, Big Emma's has a food challenge. Eat a kilogram of schnitzel and drink three litres of beer, and they put a plaque on the wall to remember your food heroism.

Buddy of mine did it. Dude's seven feet tall, and I can only assume his stomach is proportionately giant.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

zombieswithblenders posted:

That place is aaaamazzzzing. Did you ever try the German one next door?

I read this as referring to Kaiserslautern as a whole and it still worked.

Edit: I miss riding my bike 12km to the big shnitzelhaus by PHV in Heidelberg behind the Capri Sun factory, eating a gigantic piece of pork stuffed with shrimp, garlic and mozzarella topped with gravy and served with potatoes, then agonizing to pedal back the distance uphill while fighting the itis with all of my might. gently caress Germany is the best.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 8, 2017

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wild T posted:

I read this as referring to Kaiserslautern as a whole and it still worked.

Edit: I miss riding my bike 12km to the big shnitzelhaus by PHV in Heidelberg behind the Capri Sun factory, eating a gigantic piece of pork stuffed with shrimp, garlic and mozzarella topped with gravy and served with potatoes, then agonizing to pedal back the distance uphill while fighting the itis with all of my might. gently caress Germany is the best.

Doing USAFE right, right here:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Doing USAFE right, right here:

We haven't even mentioned the erotic massages yet

zombieswithblenders
Nov 21, 2008

dscruffy1 posted:

The German place is okay, Brit Cafe is pretty much the place to go for breakfast though. They get busy as gently caress but poo poo is delicious.

Cenen posted:

We went to a German place for dinner that was really good before we hit the bars that used Germans fulfilling some sort of military/civil service as waiters. Couldn't for the life of me tell you if it was next door to the English place though that whole week was a blur of being told to go places and to drink.

Thats the place indeed. German food itself is pretty boring and for that being the basis they do a very good job.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

The true Ramstein experience is going to the Turkish alterations place by Pulaski, and having to park in front of the brothel next door.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Missed out on that but I'll throw out going to that Donner cart outside the BX or going up cardiac hill and learning that every German middle school girl smokes.

Comedy option of ignoring everyone out of desperation and trying that super beyond belief garbage Chilis in the KMC.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cenen posted:

Missed out on that but I'll throw out going to that Donner cart outside the BX or going up cardiac hill and learning that every German middle school girl smokes.

Comedy option of ignoring everyone out of desperation and trying that super beyond belief garbage Chilis in the KMC.

I mean I'm a redneck but probably a third of my 8th grade class smoked whenever they could steal cigs. And probably two thirds smoked pot

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Wild T posted:

Diego you actually had to be reasonably competent since you pretty much worked autonomously. They even make you get a letter from your CC stating you were competent and could be trusted to work with minimal supervision.

Jesus, imagine if that sort of environment was actually the standard, and not the rare exception.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember how awesome it was to work with this one MOC controller who wasn't a bad guy, but he just sucked at MOC so I had to do way more work when he was on shift to keep track of his airframes and all the command post poo poo

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
So when are we going back to once a year pt tests so I can stop caring about them.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

AFStealth posted:

So when are we going back to once a year pt tests so I can stop caring about them.

When you stop being fat.

Real answer: Honestly I wish that was a thing. That would allow me as a UFPM to track people a lot less frequently, because people can't be relied on to schedule their poo poo on their own. Makes me wonder what would happen to our force's teeth if dental or your UDM didn't basically make your appointment for you.

Best air force in the world, though.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
And I'm out!

Haven't been officially notified, but good bye Air Force. Been a fun 10 years, but definitely excited to not do another 10.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Rekinom posted:

Jesus, imagine if that sort of environment was actually the standard, and not the rare exception.

Nobody would PCS though

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

xaarman posted:

And I'm out!

Haven't been officially notified, but good bye Air Force. Been a fun 10 years, but definitely excited to not do another 10.

Congrats on your escape! :toot:

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

xaarman posted:

And I'm out!

Congrats. My adsc is up next month but I have no skills or jobs lined up to get out. Still applying to various grad schools and jobs.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

xaarman posted:

And I'm out!

Congrats on making it through the 500 yards of poo poo smelling foulness all of us don't need to imagine because we've been sitting in it, and coming out clean on the other side.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That image really sums it up.

Congrats xaar! Welcome to the beard side.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
When I got out of ANG, they didn't give me any paperwork, been out since March.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Who is still in in some capacity still? It has to be pretty small nowadays.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

Casimir Radon posted:

Who is still in in some capacity still? It has to be pretty small nowadays.

I am. Trying to decide to reenlist or not and I've got exactly one year left on my contract. I have zero prospects and no idea what to do so it's likely going to be reup for four more and maybe get my poo poo together.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
I'm still in, planning to reup.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Still in (ART) but using my bennies to get through school. I'm probably going to bail to the straight civil service side when I'm done and play weekend warrior till I hit 20 if I can maintain passing PT.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I was about to get out after my ANG enlistment was up in 2019, but then a CE commissioning slot fell into my lap, so I guess I'll ride it out for the retirement. One weekend a month as a noble is worth the O-4/5 retirement check later on.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've got 2.5 years left on this enlistment and will probably go looking for a commision for afterwards. I'm tired of doing comm poo poo and our retention is so good that there's no slots to move into. I'll be lucky to put on E-6 before I go looking for greener pastures.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Just started my PCS to what will likely be my final assignment unless we really want a tour in Europe in three years.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I'm still in, with a year left on my contract. Might stay, might bounce. I made E-6 fast, so I still have more than a decade to twiddle my thumbs and coast to retirement.

I put in no effort, but am perceived as a subject matter expert and a top performer. I don't understand. The only real work I do is keeping leadership off my airmen's backs.

My fullbird referred to me, without a shred of sarcasm, as his most forthright and straight shooting TSgt. That terrifies me. I'm pretty sure I'd be in the lower quartile of employees at any other organization.

I guess the problem is that I'm a fundamentally lazy person, and I like getting a paycheck without being challenged. The local comm industry pays much, much more than the Air Force, but I assume I would need to earn that paycheck.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Arc Light posted:

I put in no effort, but am perceived as a subject matter expert and a top performer. I don't understand. The only real work I do is keeping leadership off my airmen's backs.

I'm a reservist in the same situation and I'm the only prior active guy in my shop so im like mister fantastic even though I spend all drill sleeping in my office. I've got 5 years till 20 and I'll probably stick it out, or aleast coast on 2 year reups in case something better comes up that prohibits me from attending essentially an monthly adult dodgeball league

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
still in the ANG trying to make this 1B4 thing work on the mil and civilian side (goddamn long rear end wait for tech school). With cyber being the :siren: NEXT HOT THING :siren: i figure ill stay in and get as much as experience to pad my civilian resume. 11 more to go for 20. (still would like to commission as well).

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
Three years left till retirement... so, so close...

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

xaarman posted:

And I'm out!

bitch u aint out till you got a DD-214 in your hand

lube up that rear end in a top hat, they comin for u

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Still in, plan on coasting to retirement. The key to not going insane seems to be putting mission stuff ahead of AF stuff to the detriment of making rank. But fuckit, can't stay in the AF forever, and I'd rather focus on developing skills that'll get me a contracting or govvie job afterward anyway

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Would have been out in October but I extended to get one more deployment in for some extra cash and to see what weird poo poo I can get into.

Saved a poo poo ton of money, got my civilian certs, and networked a lot with the local industry. Will probably be worth almost a decade of my life in the end.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Weird as it sounds, for me the key to not going crazy is volunteering.

I always hated the mandatory Air Force volunteerism bullshit (and I still hate that it's on EPRs and 1206s), but I eventually found something I like to do just for the fun/satisfaction of it. My squadron is all about volunteering off-duty, so I look like a champ for doing something I would do even if there were no incentive. I keep getting put in for (and sometimes winning) NCO of the quarter/year because my extracurricular poo poo is on point.

My Air Force job is basically just a way of paying my rent so I can afford to do my volunteer job.

That being said, as a matter of principle, the Air Force shouldn't grade its personnel on their off duty activities.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Still in, plan on coasting to retirement. The key to not going insane seems to be putting mission stuff ahead of AF stuff to the detriment of making rank. But fuckit, can't stay in the AF forever, and I'd rather focus on developing skills that'll get me a contracting or govvie job afterward anyway

More or less same here. I'm at the phase of my career where it's mutually understood that I'm not on the right train to get to Rank Town. But I still like what we do and as long as I pay lip service to the rat race they'll let me quietly keep doing the fun jobs. And they still pay me, so hey cool

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Arc Light posted:

Weird as it sounds, for me the key to not going crazy is volunteering.

I always hated the mandatory Air Force volunteerism bullshit (and I still hate that it's on EPRs and 1206s), but I eventually found something I like to do just for the fun/satisfaction of it. My squadron is all about volunteering off-duty, so I look like a champ for doing something I would do even if there were no incentive. I keep getting put in for (and sometimes winning) NCO of the quarter/year because my extracurricular poo poo is on point.

My Air Force job is basically just a way of paying my rent so I can afford to do my volunteer job.

That being said, as a matter of principle, the Air Force shouldn't grade its personnel on their off duty activities.

The airforce sounds so loving bizzare. If someone asked what I was doing outside working hours I'd tell them either drinking or to gently caress off. What kind of work schedule are you on where you have time to significantly volunteer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zelgadis
Sep 5, 2004

Doesn't that just beat all
I recently stopped volunteering altogether. But I don't win anything anymore. It's awesome.

• Locked thread