Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Am I crazy for thinking that Switch and PSVR shortages might have been intentional on Nintendo and Sony's part?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So as someone that likes Alineation a lot, is Helldivers a yes or no?

Also you guys talking about MGSV are tempting me to buy it (9.99€ is a great pricepoint) even if I'm not into stealth action games, because I'm bad at them and usually end going full rambo (see Ghost Recon Wildlands).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

Am I crazy for thinking that Switch and PSVR shortages might have been intentional on Nintendo and Sony's part?

You are, they're both the result of manufacturing issues and actually getting time in factories to produce more units.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Helldivers is cool, but it gets old quickly and completely blows if you don't have friends to play with. It's got a few hours worth of fun gimmicks but they wear thin pretty fast and the game is repetitive as all hell.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You are, they're both the result of manufacturing issues and actually getting time in factories to produce more units.

Not to get all :tinfoil: but I kind of don't believe this.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

veni veni veni posted:

Yes

How could it possibly be in their interest to not sell stuff to people who want them?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Guillermus posted:

So as someone that likes Alineation a lot, is Helldivers a yes or no?
they are pretty different

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The PSVR is a whole bunch of really weird components but is the Switch that complex?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Helldivers is cool, but it gets old quickly and completely blows if you don't have friends to play with. It's got a few hours worth of fun gimmicks but they wear thin pretty fast and the game is repetitive as all hell.

Thanks, I own Alienation and Dead Nation so I guess that's enough.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

buy nex machina instead

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Sanders posted:

The PSVR is a whole bunch of really weird components but is the Switch that complex?

Doesn't matter how complex it is if demand is high enough

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

iirc, it's not so much complexity but that it shares a lot of components with other devices, and Apple has dibs on those first.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

The Switch issues are entirely because we're in the middle of a flash memory shortage in general right now and global demand for flash chips far exceeds the manufacturers' ability to produce them at the moment. Nintendo is competing with bigger companies like Apple also that get more favorable terms from their suppliers. They can't build the things.

IDK why PSVR is so limited but its probably more supply chain bullshit of a similar nature

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Yes

How could it possibly be in their interest to not sell stuff to people who want them?

So where do I go to pick up my NES Classic then.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Veib posted:

So where do I go to pick up my NES Classic then.

eBay

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
They seem to be explicitly made for scalping yeah.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Awesome! posted:

buy nex machina instead

I will, but my Steam disease prevents me from buying games not on sale :frogbon:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Yes

Drum up hype to sell more units later. Both of them are sort of a hard sell. PSVR is an expensive peripheral with sort of spotty software support that is hard to demo. Switch is a mid cycle update out of nowhere with one of the worst launch lineups ever. Is it that crazy to think that it might be better to just sell out everywhere and create a huge perceived demand? This certainly hasn't been a problem for other hardware for more than a matter of weeks for the last decade. What makes these ones so special that they make one run and just sit on it for months?

Edit: I'm not saying I'm convinced this is true, it just looks sort of suspect to me. Like some obnoxious marketing strategy. I could be totally wrong.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jul 8, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Guillermus posted:

I will, but my Steam disease prevents me from buying games not on sale :frogbon:

:chloe:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Well, sometimes poo poo happens like buying Ghost Recon Wildlands on launch or impulse buying D3 necro DLC, or... drat it, dont push me!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Psvr was made in small batches because sony knows its for early adopters only right now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

veni veni veni posted:

I could be totally wrong.

You are.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Any time a game company goes "no photos, no videos of our poo poo on the show floor", it means they know full-well they have a turd on their hands.

In one or two ocassions they trough that, and they where wrong.

Then next step is a review embargo that is lifted after release.

Game companies sometimes hire game reviews to write a private game review. If the reviewer say the game is mediocre, everybody in the game company poo poo his pants*.

*Or thats how I Imagine it. I am not anal lawyer.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Edit: I'm not saying I'm convinced this is true, it just looks sort of suspect to me. Like some obnoxious marketing strategy. I could be totally wrong.

The demand for the Switch has been huge hasn't it? Much higher than expected. They can't just magically produce as many complex electronic components as they need. Parts, factory time, there must be lots of reasons why production would be delayed. The demand is obviously there so there would be no gain in an artificial shortage. Your average Joe is not reading the business pages and enticed to buy a Switch based on production shortages

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Please, we don't need to hear about your fetish.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

veni veni veni posted:

Drum up hype to sell more units later. Both of them are sort of a hard sell. PSVR is an expensive peripheral with sort of spotty software support that is hard to demo. Switch is a mid cycle update out of nowhere with one of the worst launch lineups ever. Is it that crazy to think that it might be better to just sell out everywhere and create a huge perceived demand? This certainly hasn't been a problem for other hardware for more than a matter of weeks for the last decade. What makes these ones so special that they make one run and just sit on it for months?

Switch had Grand Theft Zelda as a launch title. It was guaranteed to be sold out without conspiracy theories.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

jabro posted:

Switch had Grand Theft Zelda as a launch title. It was guaranteed to be sold out without conspiracy theories.
Though you don't technically need a Switch to play it Zelda BOTW had got to be one of the best launch games for a console ever, if not the best.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BotW might as well have been a Switch exclusive given how many WiiU's were actually sold.

I'm confidently predicting Splatoon 2 doing crazy numbers now it's not shackled to a dying horse of a console.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jul 8, 2017

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i have no idea whats going on in malicious fallen. you hit the small enemies to collect aura so you can heal and otherwise just whale on the boss? seems pretty mindless

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

veni veni veni posted:

Can't decide what I want to play/replay next goons:

TLOU: Grounded run
HZD: NG+
Alien Isolation: hard mode
Life is Strange (first time)
RE7 Madhouse
Fallout 4 survival

Help me make my decisions for me.

5 of your 6 games appear to be replays/new game+ and the 6th is something i really did not enjoy so I dunno, Titanfall 2?

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

RatHat posted:

Is Knack worth buying at 75% off?

I've never played Knack but it looks like a shallow uninspiring derivative game. For me personally you could give it away free on PS+ and I still wouldn't want to use my free time to play it

Sakurazuka posted:

Lol at anything in first person being better with a controller

I enjoyed The Witness significantly more with a controller

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Same. Really liked a lot of the control/technical side...too bad I came for a MGS game so the thing is basically garbo to me.

I got a lot of poo poo for saying I didn't like the game at release so I don't want to go overboard and say it was a garbage game or anything but it just didn't feel like a Metal Gear Solid game to me, the historical setting didn't gel for me in the way Snake Eater did. It's a great game, technically brilliant fun to play but at the time I was just not interested in another open-world setting with hours of busywork.

Macarius Wrench fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 8, 2017

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
My FO4 Survival Mode experience is lol dead to something bugging out when least expected fart

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nintendo is known for supply constraining sooooo.

My argument is they just did everyone a favor as there still isn't a good switch exclusive game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm glad you're banned from posting in the Switch thread.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Best part in Until Dawn is Emily and Matt hanging onto the steel beams of a destroyed radio tower that's on fire and about to fall in a bottomless pit, arguing about why Matt didn't back her earlier when she called Jessica a slut.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Emily is the best character in Until Dawn

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm glad you're banned from posting in the Switch thread.

Prove me wrong

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal
The best part of Until Dawn was being able to tell it I hated Grant Ward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Empress Brosephine posted:

Nintendo is known for supply constraining sooooo.

My argument is they just did everyone a favor as there still isn't a good switch exclusive game.

Nintendo is actively competing with Apple for the parts to these things. They actually are struggling to meet demand and this isn't a case of them intentionally constraining supply.