Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Blight is fine and good as long as you don't overcook it.

I'm convinced that people think it sucks because they hold it down until poo poo is dead, somehow forgetting that it's a DOT (albeit, a short duration one) and that they can move on after it ticks two or three times for most targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Vasudus posted:

KB is awful for bleeds. You do not want to use it. That 150% is broken up.

drat it, I thought that each blast did 150. There goes that idea.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

zxqv8 posted:

I'm convinced that people think it sucks because they hold it down until poo poo is dead, somehow forgetting that it's a DOT (albeit, a short duration one) and that they can move on after it ticks two or three times for most targets.

No, people also think it sucks because it needs 6 stacks to start dealing more than ED at the same level.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I just started this back up after about a year. I'm getting massive server lag and frequent disconnects. Is that normal?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
poo poo's been pretty stable for me outside of start-of-beta shenanigans. Change gateways?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

zxqv8 posted:

I used blight to level my ED dude with in the ssf mayhem league, and to be honest it was pretty loving good already. The aoe was kind of bad from lvl1, but when you grab an aoe cluster it starts clearing really really well.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ultima66 posted:

No, people also think it sucks because it needs 6 stacks to start dealing more than ED at the same level.

ED is single target. Blight is not. And if you say the word "contagion", I will say the word "abyssal cry".

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
It's secondary hinder effect is also amazingly useful paired with blasphemy temp chains.

poo poo nearly stops in front of you in most cases.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

zxqv8 posted:

It's secondary hinder effect is also amazingly useful paired with blasphemy temp chains.

poo poo nearly stops in front of you in most cases.

Or paired with aquamarine flask (a flask I think is criminally underused)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

BRB, theorycrafting Blight/Temp Chains/Aquamarine Pathfinder build.

vvv I know, helps with the uptime though

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 7, 2017

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Flask effect doesnt buff the slow :v:

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Do the pierce changes give Deadeye any interesting buffs, since she gets free pierce through nearby targets?

e: *looks in PoB* no, it's still a garbage ascendancy. Rest in peace

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 7, 2017

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

TheRat posted:

Flask effect doesnt buff the slow :v:

would be a good build for that Atziri chaos flask though

e: how does profane bloom interact with abyssal cry?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Leveling ED should be lot better with the pierce rework- just the pierce gem adds 2-5 targets.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Leveling ED should be lot better with the pierce rework- just the pierce gem adds 2-5 targets.

It's really really bad until you get some decent cast speed and contagion aoe though. I never switch to ED until around cruel dried lake, whatever that will translate to in 3.0

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jinnigan posted:

Do the pierce changes give Deadeye any interesting buffs, since she gets free pierce through nearby targets?

e: *looks in PoB* no, it's still a garbage ascendancy. Rest in peace

Deadeye is actually pretty good, the problem it has is that pathfinder is broken as poo poo and does basically everything better.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Man, it's the Year of Our Lord 2017 and this game still doesn't have basic quality-of-life features like auto-sorting inventory. Zoom level is still poo poo, too.

Oh well. Looking forward to 3.0.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Zoom level is still poo poo, too.

What?

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Have they decided on the next 2-week race yet.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Terrific Accident posted:

Have they decided on the next 2-week race yet.

As far as I've seen, all we know is that it will be called "turmoil"

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

They said they'll announce race details next week.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I mean I hate that you can't zoom out more. The camera is super close to your character compared to, say, Diablo 3.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I think I want to build a strength-stacking iron will spellcaster for 3.0. A high pool and good mitigation options will hopefully allow for a relatively safe and sedate play through the story, and I just love playing marauders who cast spells for some reason. Close to favorite build ever was a self-cast iron will discharge marauder back when enduring cry could be supported by spell echo. There's lots of good looking uniques that synergize well - Geofri's Sanctuary and Shaper's Touch would seem to allow a good hybrid life/ES pool and potentially enable MoM, Doon could allow for a second skill setup (since boss health is so high, 6L single-target and a clearing skill in Doon?), Might in All Forms could synergize well depending on where on the tree I go, The Magnate and Meginord's vice seem alright if physical skills are used, Aegis Aurora could be a good defensive layer with some minimal block investment though I feel like a rare ES shield with a high strength roll and some of the new damage mods could just be better.

I'm currently planning on path of building out a Geofri's/Shaper's touch, MoM, zerker. Main skill options I have in mind right now are Glacial Cascade 5/6L and maybe Bladefall-IncAOE-MoreMultiplier in Doon for pack clearing, or EK with the threshold gem in the 6L and a Shockwave Totem in Doon to increase boss damage. Probably non-crit, but without EO that might be rough. I don't know if I can fit crit in with all the other stuff though! Chieftain could be good if I went with a fire spell. And there are certainly options for templar.

How would you go about building around selfcast iron will? What spells would you use? What ascendancy?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Going Wild Strike raider using Hyaons Fury to start.
4L in hysteria gloves will be WS + EDWA + Multistrike + Immolate.
Auras will be Wrath + Blasphemy AssMark
Basically a boatload of flat damage to be scaled by crit and WED rings/amulets.

Will want to replace Hyaons with a good 2aps elemental foil, and also Kaoms, with the 4L hysteria actually seemingly sufficient DPS-wise according to POB.

Scion using the raider + assassin nodes also seems like a surprisingly good option for this since she's getting the buff to % frenzy on hit and the 1.5 base crit would be very helpful.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 8, 2017

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

ugh i got a doomfletch and specced into that and forgot i was supposed to be testing if lightning strike is any good in 3.0

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
if you're going ignite wildstrike raider with immolate why aren't you using an Oro's Sacrifice??

lightning strike should be better in 3.0 because it hopefully wont lag you to gently caress when you attack more than once per 2 seconds

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

lightning strike should be better in 3.0 because it hopefully wont lag you to gently caress when you attack more than once per 2 seconds

But it's still ground-based and gets stuck on everything, right?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

TheRat posted:

But it's still ground-based and gets stuck on everything, right?

Part of what I shoulda been testing this patch is my hunch that with the minimap cleanup came a lot of doodad cleanup and that ground projectiles were finally getting a side buff with all that cleanup

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

if you're going ignite wildstrike raider with immolate why aren't you using an Oro's Sacrifice??

Is that what causes lag? Because I have a fast-attacking aoe-spamming ranger and the game is basically unplayable for me currently. I get huge lag spikes whenever there is lots of stuff on the screen, which either results in a death after the spike passes, or a disconnect. I tried multiple gateways and they all have the same issue.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

I mean I hate that you can't zoom out more. The camera is super close to your character compared to, say, Diablo 3.

I had this really wierd glitch (possibly?) just before entering the cathedral roof, the camera zoomed out quite a bit as I moved toward the entry. I got excited because I thought I was about to do some epic fight that needed the camera pulled back to capture it. Well there was a fight eventually but the camera had reverted to normal zoom when I entered the rooftops :(

I play in 4K and when it was zoomed out I was tiny and I could see so goddamn far, I want it always damnit

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 8, 2017

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

There is definitely some zooming out going on in act 5 to give you a better view of the buildings.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Jinnigan posted:

Part of what I shoulda been testing this patch is my hunch that with the minimap cleanup came a lot of doodad cleanup and that ground projectiles were finally getting a side buff with all that cleanup

it still won't go over cliffs though, which is the bigger problem. spectral throw is nicer to play with in general. i ended up swapping my oro's proj raider from lightning strike to spec throw because it felt better even if it's like half the dps but you dont have to worry about pierce or chain. there is probably a good chain lightning strike build somewhere but you don't want to use the gem so then you have to be Deadeye or use touch of anguish.

enraged_camel posted:

Is that what causes lag? Because I have a fast-attacking aoe-spamming ranger and the game is basically unplayable for me currently. I get huge lag spikes whenever there is lots of stuff on the screen, which either results in a death after the spike passes, or a disconnect. I tried multiple gateways and they all have the same issue.

yes, having lots of particle effects is what shits the game up. it looks like theyve fixed it for 3.0 though: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1916033

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Because Lycosidae. Oros also works, but a direct replacement loses DPS over Hyaons + Lycosidae due to now needing accuracy, which I would have to target again.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I'm going to be really boring and do life phys cleave gladiator. With Varunastras if I get rich fast. I am hoping it will be very good with chance to bleed and brutality.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

yes, having lots of particle effects is what shits the game up. it looks like theyve fixed it for 3.0 though: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1916033

That seems to be about local performance though, rather than about server performance? How does that stuff work in POE?

My machine's specs are pretty good and I get 60 FPS at 1440p. The lag I get feels like server lag to me — the game will freeze, and then "catch up" with what has happened over the past ~5 seconds in fast-forward mode.

Of course I don't know what is calculated on the server vs. on the client. It's just that the link you gave makes it sound like it's talking about frame rate, which isn't really my issue.

I guess I'll try turning down level of detail and see what happens.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

There is some stuff on the server that needs to be calculated (direction, velocity, hit detection, etc.), so particle spam can certainly cause some lag.

I am curious though, what value do you have under Options -> UI -> Networking Mode. It kinda sounds like you're in Predictive, which is indicative of a not-good connection to the realm.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It's set to Auto.

The login servers show really low ping, but I haven't really run any network tests yet to see if there is any packet loss when talking to the game servers. I guess I'll do that now...

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

If we're talking <100, then it should be going into Lockstep mode (you do action, server confirms action, client performs action). Otherwise you'd be in Predictive (you do action, client performs action and tells server what it's doing, server performs action and overrides client if they disagree), but that rubberbanding is more in-the-moment and less pause-than-catchup. That sounds more like packet loss.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

No packet loss when I test speedtest.dal01.softlayer.com

But anyway, it looks like I'm gonna have to stop playing for a few weeks. This is unplayable. Only POE does this too so I know it's not my computer or connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

He's in lockstep if it's 'catching up'

• Locked thread