Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Jack B Nimble posted:

So here's an actual question ; before big fights I like learn about how each fighter would win, and what it would look like when they're winning. You know, general strategies to watch for, things that should sound an alarm bell that you're seeing a fight work out as one fighter wanted.

Like for example, I think the earlier rounds are the most important for McGregor; his best bet will be to blitz Mayweather in the first round or two, hit him with something unusual and then follow it up with a hard finisher. So maybe look for McGregor to land an awkward but surprising punch and then follow it up with an entirely unrestrained flurry; likewise look for Mayweather to suddenly look old fighting a man 12 year younger. Be particularly worried if fast undercard KOs send them into the ring cold.

Now more likely, look for Mayweather to be very cautious at the beginning, stay well away from McGregor and avoiding trading punches. As the rounds go on and McGregor tires and his punches get sloppier and more predictable, look for Mayweather to counter punch.

What are some other possibilities? Neither fighter is eager to throw because they're both counter punchers? McGregor moving forward into closer range but not actually punching (I believe Mayweather has shown he's not at his best against that strategy)?

I think that trying to analyze strategies for freak show fights is a dumb waste of time. I mean I guess you can do it if you're into it, but I'm not super into it because it means I have to think of this as a legitimate sporting event instead of a machine to print money. We can sit back and write fan fiction about what Conor's best strategies are but it's all ultimately moot because he's just not a loving boxer.

I'm gonna sit back, have some beers and enjoy whatever dumb poo poo happens. Floyd's probably going to dance around, slip all his punches, and then punch Conor in the face until he falls over, and if anything else happens it's gravy.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

I.N.R.I posted:

Whats the point of arguing about which sport that you dont compete in is the most physically demanding. dont you all at least have something a little more personal to be smug about, like your deadlift prs or whatever ?

Want to gently caress and get paid lots of money for it?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

McGregor's KO strength has been in his opponent's headmovements. He'll put his fist path right on a dead on intercept course.

I expect Mayweather to wear McGregor out with feinting head movements. Should take around 3-4 rounds based on the Diaz fights(apples and oranges I know but in terms of gastank expenditures roughly equivalent).

Also, based on the Diaz fights, McGregor has a very limited response for when a fight plan collapses. The first fight after the left uppercut failed to finish, he got lost and became reactive. Being reactive to a Diaz is pretty much the end. Being reactive to Mayweather will pretty much lead it going to the judges. If Conor's got the gilded luck of the irish applied properly, he might win. But he's fighting against the promoter and the state that benefits financially from said promoter so yeah.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Jose posted:

Want to gently caress and get paid lots of money for it?

Depends, do you want to see me gently caress Mark Kerr for free?

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Here's my analysis: I expect Floyd Mayweather to beat up the guy who couldn't hack it on the Irish amateur circuit

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jack B Nimble posted:

McGregor moving forward into closer range but not actually punching (I believe Mayweather has shown he's not at his best against that strategy)?

It's too much to apply boxing analysis to a fighter who has never boxed pro, much less at this level.

Oscar and Maidana might have taken a few rounds from pressing Floyd, but it is way too much to ask Conor to try that workrate-heavy strategy. Not to mention he'll have a leverage disadvantage with slightly longer arms.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Bluedeanie posted:

Depends, do you want to see me gently caress Mark Kerr for free?

Insert tasteless Brett Rogers joke here.

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

david carmichael posted:

I once ate 6 hot dogs. The big ones

thats really good

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Work Friend Keven posted:

I think boxing fans may have confused their sport (so easy even children and kangaroos can do it) with talking to them (extremely tiring).
lol

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

I.N.R.I posted:

Whats the point of arguing about which sport that you dont compete in is the most physically demanding. dont you all at least have something a little more personal to be smug about, like your deadlift prs or whatever ?
not going to cheat and look but judging from unwarranted self-importance delivered with the dismissive programmer cadence, they probably hung out in a big minecraft house, that one time

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/STAPLESCenter/status/883132629184200704

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Monday Bandele posted:

Here's my analysis: I expect Floyd Mayweather to beat up the guy who couldn't hack it on the Irish amateur circuit

Spicy, unexpected takes itt

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

:same: I mean

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I predict McGregor will get hit one time and be like "ahh... i guess I've never truly been hit before... this sucks" and then quit.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Can you effectively mount with boxing gloves on?*

*not a combat sports question ;)

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Work Friend Keven posted:

Legally if you cum in a MMA match you lose under the new ruleset but nobodys taken advantage of that yet.

A true warrior surrenders nothing and takes everything.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Showtime released the first official promovideo for the fight.. its good poo poo

https://youtu.be/1X69PYmZnvU

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

TheCool69 posted:

Showtime released the first official promovideo for the fight.. its good poo poo

https://youtu.be/1X69PYmZnvU

Shouldn't Showtime start doing the 24/7 type shows soon? Figure there would be a huge marketing push.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011

Nifft posted:

Shouldn't Showtime start doing the 24/7 type shows soon? Figure there would be a huge marketing push.

Next Week is the start of the media tour. I figured that they shoot all the necessary material during that

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
When does the PPV go on sale

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'm ready for the poo poo talking theatrics to start in earnest, I want to see SBG and The Money Team throwing Monster Energy cans at each other

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Hope for Conor's sake that Floyd doesn't see his Budweiser commercial and learn how to visualize dreams.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Dream as big as you like.. drink a Budweiser

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'm going to go to the press conference at the Barclays center and wear plastic bag like it's a Gallagher show

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

omg chael crash posted:

I'm going to go to the press conference at the Barclays center and wear plastic bag like it's a Gallagher show

god drat that's tight, i live like five minutes away from there, had no idea that's where the nyc conference is gonna be

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

attackmole posted:

I think that trying to analyze strategies for freak show fights is a dumb waste of time. I mean I guess you can do it if you're into it, but I'm not super into it because it means I have to think of this as a legitimate sporting event instead of a machine to print money.

Outside of Olympic boxing, combat sports are not legitimate sport. It's sports entertainment, every single fight event is attempting to print money.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

tesilential posted:

Outside of Olympic boxing, combat sports are not legitimate sport. It's sports entertainment, every single fight event is attempting to print money.

This may shock you, but every professional sport is an attempt to print money via entertaining people.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

tesilential posted:

So is the NFL but we still say it's a sport.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

tesilential posted:

thats what sport should be. thankfully thats what it is, all of them. even that one where they run 20 miles on skis

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

david carmichael posted:

I once ate 6 hot dogs. The big ones

That's bad rear end.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tesilential posted:

you don't know much about olympic boxing do you

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
The following is a comprehensive list of legitimate sports:
-hot dog eating
-rubix cube solving
-blindfolded rubix cube solving
-solving a rubix cube using only your feet
-e
-network administration
-darts
-pie eating
-ballet
-hip hop
-tap
-bench and deadlift only powerlifting
-chicken wing eating
-shovel can

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

tesilential posted:

Olympic boxing is the most corrupt and terrible poo poo

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

tesilential posted:

Well yeah sure but those at least usually feature athletes from the same sport competing against each other.

Let's make Khabib fight the bear from his childhood in an adult rematch and see what happens, it'll probably sell better than him vs. Ferguson.

I mean I'm still gonna watch it so I guess I'm the sucker and their plan worked, but I'm not that interested in overthinking it beyond "the guy who does the sport is probably gonna beat the poo poo out of the guy who doesn't do the sport".

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

david carmichael posted:

The following is a comprehensive list of legitimate sports:
-hot dog eating
-rubix cube solving
-blindfolded rubix cube solving
-solving a rubix cube using only your feet
-e
-network administration
-darts
-pie eating
-ballet
-hip hop
-tap
-bench and deadlift only powerlifting
-chicken wing eating
-shovel can

- League of Legends
- Ice Cube's 3v3 basketball
- Chess
- Dog shows

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Curling

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TBeats posted:

So is the NFL but we still say it's a sport.

In what other "legitimate sports" can you pick your opponents?

For the record I'm a boxing and MMA fan and don't care to watch the real sports. It's just adults playing childhood games and frankly not very entertaining.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Skip My Posts posted:

Olympic boxing is the most corrupt and terrible poo poo

Right the judges suck but at least the system attempts to find #1 and #2 and get them to fight each other. Pro combat sports attempt pit the most popular fighters against each other.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

In the interest of fairness and public appeal, they should change the rules every round as in first round boxing, second round MMA, third round Shockfights, etc. maybe have twitter users vote on rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Moat Fights sudden death round

• Locked thread