Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

DEAR RICHARD posted:

today i listened to:

-morbid angel

which album tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the illud remixes :twisted:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Vulture Culture posted:

Municipal Waste is terrible and has a bad sound

We have entered the terrible opinion zone, I see. Don't worry, you'll party your way out one day.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Blind Guardian's new live album is out today and it loving rules.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Upon listening to the new Suffocation album I've come to the realization that I strongly dislike this kind of super polished "click click click" production (is there a term for it?). The drums sound so artificial that they might as well be digital. Everything's sterile and lifeless. I've only been listening to metal for a few years so maybe this is an obvious sentiment.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
yeah those are triggered drums and they fuckin' suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

beefart posted:

Well, duh.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Parachute posted:

The new Origin album is the same way and it's more distracting than anything else.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Nordick posted:

Well, duh.

I admit to being really excited but a little apprehensive it wouldn't have their usual energy or something.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

the yeti posted:

I admit to being really excited but a little apprehensive it wouldn't have their usual energy or something.

I haven't listened to the whole thing, but at least this live version of Twilight of the Gods is tons better than the album version imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4TorvOfBWE

Nordick fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 7, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know what's the thread's general opinion of Every Time I Die (or if maybe I should post them in the Metalcore thread), but I loving loved their latest album Low Teens to pieces. There are some songs where they use a really weird tuning in which the guitar is all either in standard E or D except for the chunky E string which is tuned to A and it's weird, off-putting and at times creepy and I love it. Does this make me a major poser? :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqQo2RQMWEM

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wark Say posted:

I don't know what's the thread's general opinion of Every Time I Die (or if maybe I should post them in the Metalcore thread), but I loving loved their latest album Low Teens to pieces. There are some songs where they use a really weird tuning in which the guitar is all either in standard E or D except for the chunky E string which is tuned to A and it's weird, off-putting and at times creepy and I love it. Does this make me a major poser? :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqQo2RQMWEM

They're very popular in the metalcore thread and you're not alone--I'm a dyed-in-the-wool metalhead and snob and I love ETID. They're really fun.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ETID gives me everything I need from that entire genre. Band rules and if you don't like them you probably hate fun.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Parachute posted:

Triggered drums have been used in death metal since the 80s, but it really wasn't until the mid 00s with the advent of modern weedily-weedily tech death that they got annoyingly terrible.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's not the triggering that's the issue. It's the production.

saviro
Apr 28, 2005
the revenge of the peruvian

beefart posted:

I haven't heard BG in like 10 years but this pretty good. The guitar tone in that album is absolutely fuckable

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So does most everyone agree that the drums on the new Suffocation album suck? I want to make sure it's not just me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don't hate them but I wish they weren't as clicky. The entire album could be mixed better. It doesn't need a lot but a few small shifts would go a long way.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am really mad Speedwolf just hosed off after 1 album. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx_njk_QtYk

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Henchman of Santa posted:

They're very popular in the metalcore thread and you're not alone--I'm a dyed-in-the-wool metalhead and snob and I love ETID. They're really fun.

Kilometers Davis posted:

ETID gives me everything I need from that entire genre. Band rules and if you don't like them you probably hate fun.
:hfive: to both of you.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
If anyone else desperately misses the glory that was early Bal-Sagoth, the members reformed ( minus the vocalist ) as Kull

I've been following their progress and after like a year of "we're done, just mixing now", they've released a single track - Vow of the Exiled on their Bandcamp.

https://kullmetal.bandcamp.com/

It's definitely not prime Starfire..., the vocals in particular I don't really gel with - either the dirty or spoken word parts. But apart from vocals it is 100% Bal-Sagoth, not just in musical composition but lyrically as well ( they've created their own fantasy world again with 10 paragraphs of story and the lyrics are interspersed throughout ) and could easily be a successor album, at least based on this one song. Still not sure how much I like it, but I'm such a sucker for this cheeseball he-man metal they invented I can't help myself and probably will do something stupid like buy an expensive limited edition garbage pack.

I think that in general it suffers from the same thing their latter albums did though - the song composition doesn't really seem to tell a STORY. Like compare that song with this epic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9hXyT3nRa8

There's no comparison, but this song is helped in particular by the video editing which is so perfect.

Still though, if you liked Bal-Sagoth you'll probably like Kull.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Something about the delivery on the screamed/shouted vocals really reminds me of Peter Dolving on rEVOLVEr

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

the yeti posted:

I've seen BG live twice and both times they measured up to their studio performances. I mean, you don't have Hansi's trademark post-produced choruses, but even with one level of vocals he still rips, especially on their older speed/thrash songs like Banish From Sanctuary and Valhalla. It also gives the guitars a more of a presence, which is well deserved because both of those guys are really loving good.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

beefart posted:

I've seen BG live twice and both times they measured up to their studio performances. I mean, you don't have Hansi's trademark post-produced choruses, but even with one level of vocals he still rips, especially on their older speed/thrash songs like Banish From Sanctuary and Valhalla. It also gives the guitars a more of a presence, which is well deserved because both of those guys are really loving good.

Yeah for sure, I've been lucky enough to see the Twist in the Myth tour and again a few years ago and both times they ripped. Hearing Hansi live is an experience.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Just as an aside, anyone who thinks the world needs more oldschool Blind Guardian should check out Breitenhold, one of Ced Forsberg's projects. Aside from his dodgy vocals, The Inn of Sorrowing Souls is some pretty drat spot on BG worship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wrEkQbOouM

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
The problem I have with modern thrash (Havok, Municipal Waste etc.) is that they're great for individual songs, but their albums are loving boring to listen to. The first 3 or 4 songs are stupid fun, but there's never the slow, heavy as gently caress sabbath song to break up the album. This is why the first 4 Metallica albums are loving great listens. I know thrash is kinda repetitive anyway, but we can at least pretend each song is different if there's a different groove 3 or 4 songs into the album.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

Nordick posted:

Just as an aside, anyone who thinks the world needs more oldschool Blind Guardian should check out Breitenhold, one of Ced Forsberg's projects. Aside from his dodgy vocals, The Inn of Sorrowing Souls is some pretty drat spot on BG worship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wrEkQbOouM

Exhibit B: Ice Giant, the awkward, goony babby of BG and Exodus that can't keep a beat but still sounds kinda cool.

https://youtu.be/EB5hrwop_kY

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

H13 posted:

The problem I have with modern thrash (Havok, Municipal Waste etc.) is that they're great for individual songs, but their albums are loving boring to listen to. The first 3 or 4 songs are stupid fun, but there's never the slow, heavy as gently caress sabbath song to break up the album. This is why the first 4 Metallica albums are loving great listens. I know thrash is kinda repetitive anyway, but we can at least pretend each song is different if there's a different groove 3 or 4 songs into the album.

I can't believe I'm quoting that ginger boy but I like what Dave Mustaine said about it being too robotic and lacking the human element. A lot of modern thrash sounds extremely rehearsed and rarely varies from the exact thing you expect. It's boring. There aren't surprises or anything to give the fast energetic parts emphasis. Full blast riffs and ripping solos aren't as intense when that's all you get for 50 minutes straight.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

That's why Lethal Shock is real cool at like 28 minutes long. By the time you're like "alright that was cool but I'm done with this" so has the band.

https://lethalshock.bandcamp.com/album/evil-aggressor

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

It's not the triggering that's the issue. It's the production.

one of the big things that happened with the shift to digital recording is where instead of having to physically play every part of a song, you can just get one perfect take of each riff and copy and paste them to build up an arrangement with zero natural variation

drums most of the time they don't even use the recorded track, they just use it as a rough guide and copy over the stems with samples. which is stupid since they'd get the same results just using superior drummer or whatever

that's actually kind of an old thing too- flemming rasmussen talked about recording covenant in one interview and the band got a little mad at him because he refused to replace all of pete sandoval's hits with midi samples like they'd normally done and instead used the real drum tracks. which is incidentally a big part of why covenant sounds way better than any other morbid angel album

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's really one of those things I find incredibly irritating. It's completely avoidable and I don't get why it's a huge trend and has been for so long.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because it makes the producer's job a lot easier.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

xzzy posted:

Because it makes the producer's job a lot easier.

but it loving sucks

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Dragonforce isn't really my thing and "lol Dragonforce" and all that, but I just saw them tonight and holy gently caress those guitarists blew my loving mind.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

It's really one of those things I find incredibly irritating. It's completely avoidable and I don't get why it's a huge trend and has been for so long.

recording is almost entirely a sunk cost these days, so the less time you have to spend in a studio the better

why bands who self-produce and record in their own place do poo poo like that, who knows

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Muppets On PCP posted:

recording is almost entirely a sunk cost these days, so the less time you have to spend in a studio the better

why bands who self-produce and record in their own place do poo poo like that, who knows

I assume that when they get signed to bigger labels they have to produce and record in a way that the label is happy with.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I was excited when Mastodon announced a charity show at a more intimate venue than they would normally play but it's 74 loving dollars

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Recording is weird. I've been recording bands since I was 16 (I'm about to turn 33 and could be considered "semi-retired" now) and, for the most part, if you can drill it into the head of everyone in the band that if they know the material, recording can be done hella quick. I've recorded albums that I thought "Man, these loving guitars are going to take forever" and 10 days later it was "Oh, that's a wrap. Huh. Neat!". I remember recording a Light Jazz singer and how her band-leader suggested the idea of recording the meat of the instruments "live". So, during the first (and only) pre-production day, we went ahead and tried different mic placements and such and we actually ended up with a whole song finished. Next day, we pretty much finished recording through the remaining 10 songs and the day after that Singer lady recorded her vocals in no time.

3 days. I was 24 at that time and whenever I could, I suggested the same "live" recording scenario to many bands (including metal bands). The bands that accepted often had more fun and recording went by in a breeze. Know your songs, dudes. ;)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Enjoyed Metallica last night. Had only seen them in an arena before, so it was cool to see the show in a full size stadium (complete with stadium sound, but eh that covers up the mistakes and mistunings I guess). Thought they still put on a pretty drat good show, the setlist was a decent blend of old and new, the screens and production poo poo was cool, the tribute to Cliff was nice and overall a fun evening. It amazes me a band can play some of these songs literally thousands of times and still at least look like they're super into doing it.

Out of fun, I compared the setlist for last night to the time they came through town in 1992 or so and 13 of the 23 songs I think matched. That's pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Enjoyed Metallica last night. Had only seen them in an arena before, so it was cool to see the show in a full size stadium (complete with stadium sound, but eh that covers up the mistakes and mistunings I guess). Thought they still put on a pretty drat good show, the setlist was a decent blend of old and new, the screens and production poo poo was cool, the tribute to Cliff was nice and overall a fun evening. It amazes me a band can play some of these songs literally thousands of times and still at least look like they're super into doing it.

Out of fun, I compared the setlist for last night to the time they came through town in 1992 or so and 13 of the 23 songs I think matched. That's pretty neat.

What was the Cliff tribute?