Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

bird cooch posted:

Gotta start off with nothing to be sure of the foundation.

That's a good philosophy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

TBeats posted:

you receive benefits for each day you are in school

you get charged for each day you are in school

i will be getting 2/30ths of my usual GI Bill on September 1st because I will be in school for two days in August.

i will be using up two days of benefits in August.

if you want to figure out your pay for a month that is prorated, do your GI Bill BAH amount divided by 30, and multiply it by the number of days you are in school that month.

So if you are in school for two days and you get $3000 BAH, $3000/30 = 100 * 2 = $200 payment for that month.

i have no idea if this is how it works for part time but this is how it works for full time and i can't imagine it's that much different for part time.

Just had my vet office dude explain this to me. You are absolutely correct for full time. I too thought that going less than full time was wasting benefits but apparently I and a lot of you are wrong in that assessment. If you go half time, they calculate the usual pro-rated deduction like TBeats was saying but then charge your benefits half the time. 3/4 is 75% etc etc. I'm pretty sure they don't discriminate further than in 25% increments. hth

With this in mind the vet office and I figured out that I'm going to get my gi bill to pay for all but 2-3 classes at the very end of my undergrad. poo poo 'chyea. I never expected it to pay for more than my AAS so this was good news.

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 27, 2017

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Just had my vet office dude explain this to me. You are absolutely correct for full time. I too thought that going less than full time was wasting benefits but apparently I and a lot of you are wrong in that assessment. If you go half time, they calculate the usual pro-rated deduction like TBeats was saying but then charge your benefits half the time. 3/4 is 75% etc etc. I'm pretty sure they don't discriminate further than in 25% increments. hth

With this in mind the vet office and I figured out that I'm going to get my gi bill to pay for all but 2-3 classes at the very end of my undergrad. poo poo 'chyea. I never expected it to pay for more than my AAS so this was good news.

God dammit, I need to go back into the office when the one competent lady is there and triple-check this. The whole time I've been taking like 10/11 credits (4 + 4 + 3, 4 + 3 + 3, etc) I've been subtly pissed off because I figured not only was I getting dicked on BAH but also double-dicked by burning full benefit months.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yea, sometimes they can suck. I'm pretty fortunate that this school actually employs several veterans full time to run their vet office. This guy is super up on his poo poo and he's never steered me wrong. Finishing up my AAS had several terms at the end that were only ~8 credits on average so I was in that boat too and fuming about lost benefits. He showed me all my paperwork and did the math with me to prove that I was only getting charged a percentage of gi bill time instead of the full monty. That said, my new school has work study vets in their vet office and they suuuuuuuuuuck. I've had to do most of the paperwork and legwork myself which has been a rough transition to my new school.

On top of this my IS curriculum at this new school is being completely redone for fall term and I spent several months trying to get them to certify the new curriculum. They figured it out eventually but gently caress. "It's not part of your curriculum sir, you can't take this and have the gi bill pay for it." ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff Kind of neither here nor there but call me sir again motherfucker...

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

More like Dr. Nice!

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 27, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I was just told over the phone by the VA that my voc rehab hasn't actually used up my GI bill and I have 32 months of benefits still.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Also this is a little bit nitpicky but it doesn't matter if the month is 30 days or 31 days (or 28/29 in February) when calculating your pro-rated payment, it is always on a 30 days scale. So if you're in school for 2 days out of a 31 day month, you do $STIPEND/30 to figure out how much you get for each day.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

TBeats posted:

Also this is a little bit nitpicky but it doesn't matter if the month is 30 days or 31 days (or 28/29 in February) when calculating your pro-rated payment, it is always on a 30 days scale. So if you're in school for 2 days out of a 31 day month, you do $STIPEND/30 to figure out how much you get for each day.

My guy also went to great length to point this out. Seems pretty stupid proof which is good for me!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was just told over the phone by the VA that my voc rehab hasn't actually used up my GI bill and I have 32 months of benefits still.

Nice!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

time to sign up for some pottery classes at the local community college

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

time to sign up for some pottery classes at the local community college

I'll actually go get a masters in something. I'll keep doing what I'm doing now (pro bono work for indigent vets) with the occasional statutory fees once I pass the bar, selling tacos part time, and going to school for another couple years sounds like a decent enough time to me.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I just checked my Ebenefits, I also have 9 months, 21 days remaining. Guess I will go get that Masters after all. Thanks for the heads up about the tens of thousands of dollars waiting for me.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is it true you can't be on IU and voc rehab at the same time?

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

That is not true. There is no rule that says you can't be on both, but you can most likely expect them to reevaluate your IU after you finish Voc Rehab. You might get a reevaluation sooner, but if your conditions that put you on IU haven't improved then they shouldn't take it away unless you are now able to work.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
I ask because my wife is at 80% with IU and has used her GI Bill up but is starting her master's degree. The voc rehab counselor told her she couldn't be on both. She plans on working after this next degree as best she can. Hmm, sounds like it's about to become a VSO issue.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

I ask because my wife is at 80% with IU and has used her GI Bill up but is starting her master's degree. The voc rehab counselor told her she couldn't be on both. She plans on working after this next degree as best she can. Hmm, sounds like it's about to become a VSO issue.

This might be helpful for you: http://www.disabledveterans.org/2015/01/15/individual-unemployability-myth-destroyed-vets-can-use-voc-rehab-100-tdiu/

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
I assumed as much. Thanks, she's going to reapply for voc rehab and call the VSO just for fun anyways. That's likely a pretty big bill avoided for our family.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Do I have to reapply for the GI bill for every semester? Im also switching from active duty to vet for the fall if that matters.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
If you used it at the same school last semester, then you're probably good to go. It can't hurt to pay the registrar and/or bursar a visit just in case.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i would never go back into the military unless i kill myself first, but i was curious if someone exhausts their GI Bill, can they go back in and get another dose of GI Bill?

Naked Bear posted:

If you used it at the same school last semester, then you're probably good to go. It can't hurt to pay the registrar and/or bursar a visit just in case.

I probably annoy my registrar with how much I talk to him at the beginning and end of every semester. But I'm neurotic and if I don't know the ins and outs of everything I get stressed. But it never hurts to be informed by the source.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

TBeats posted:

i would never go back into the military unless i kill myself first, but i was curious if someone exhausts their GI Bill, can they go back in and get another dose of GI Bill?

I don't think so, but I don't know for sure. My brother went in as an officer, used his signing bonus to pay off his student debt, and is going to be getting his doctorate via GI Bill. I think that taking options like student debt forgiveness will also wipe out your GI Bill if you opt to use it.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
You can't get two GI bills, but you could do a GI Bill and a scholarship for graduate school if you're doing something like medicine or PA school.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Commoners posted:

I don't think so, but I don't know for sure. My brother went in as an officer, used his signing bonus to pay off his student debt, and is going to be getting his doctorate via GI Bill. I think that taking options like student debt forgiveness will also wipe out your GI Bill if you opt to use it.

If I remember correctly, if you do student loan repayment then you have to serve six years for 100% instead of three. I could be completely wrong, though.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

MancXVI posted:

If I remember correctly, if you do student loan repayment then you have to serve six years for 100% instead of three. I could be completely wrong, though.

No, that's right.

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

the federal regulations say that yes, of course you can do both, but whether or not you can do both without significant resistance is up to your local voc rehab office

I was receiving voc rehab benefits here in my area and then they were rescinded, stating that I cant have IU and voc rehab because I'm "double-dipping"

when I started quoting regulations saying that the law was clearly designed to help vets on IU get vocational training, and obviously that makes sense you know, they threatened to tell the board that I had been working while on IU and that they would try to get my benefits taken away. I haven't been working at all, but I didn't need that kind of headache in my life because I'm totally dependent on IU right now. Also they threatened to make me pay back all of my education benefits, but then they backed down from that when I backed down.

I was actually going to bring this up a couple months ago, asking for advice, but even my VSO said that yes, it's considering double dipping, and quoting regulations didn't matter and that I need to drop the issue. VSO was very dodgy about it.

so I really don't know WTF is going on

also that part about the voc rehab counselor threatening to tell the board I had been working, even though he knew he would be lying, I have that in writing, in an email. the whole situation was like dealing with some kind of voc rehab mafia.

to be fair, though, I was asking for voc rehab to pay for a master's degree so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it

and in retrospect i think my chances of actually completing a masters degree are no better than 50/50 in my current state so it would be personally irresponsible to ask the government to waste a bunch of money on me. NEVERTHELESS their "double dipping" argument and threatening to gently caress me over was awful

Bellum fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 8, 2017

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

That is pretty hosed up Bellum. As I'm sure you know, there is no such thing as "double-dipping" in any of the regulations or laws. These guys are just full of poo poo and don't want to do their jobs. It sounds a lot like what that lawyer was talking about in the article I posted up above.

My recommendation would be to file a complaint with the VA Office of the Inspector General and with your state representatives. Turn this into an even bigger headache for them than it would have been if they had just done the work in the first place.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Delizin posted:

Turn this into an even bigger headache for them than it would have been if they had just done the work in the first place.
Pretty much this. It's the only way some people learn. Do it right the first time instead of being loving lazy.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I registered for grad school classes this week. I've got enough GI Bill left to cover four out of the six quarters. How I'm gonna pay for the last two is TBD.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

cowboy elvis posted:

I registered for grad school classes this week. I've got enough GI Bill left to cover four out of the six quarters. How I'm gonna pay for the last two is TBD.

Solid plan

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

cowboy elvis posted:

Have you considered applying for the Army Student Loan Repayment program? It is just a 3 year active duty obligation.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I'm going to run out of GI Bill at the end of year two of medical school, and I'm thinking of applying for the Public Health Service scholarship. I don't feel like I'd mind working on an NA Res, and I can't see how the dumb bullshit level can approach anything like military levels.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

cowboy elvis posted:

Save up the BAH payments to pay tuition for last two quarters? It's gotta make a little dent at least.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Save up the BAH payments to pay tuition for last two quarters? It's gotta make a little dent at least.

That's the plan so far. I'd still come out on top too. Thing is if I save my BAH, I'm looking at pocketing roughly 20K. I'd really love to find scholarships or other means to pay for the last two quarters without dipping into the previous BAH cash.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Can you get voc rehab to pay for it? How does that work? Isn't voc rehab based on industry needs or whatever? Like it'll pay for an in-demand degree/masters but not for underwater basket weaving or something stupid?

Or does that only apply for people with x% disability rating (which I don't know if you have)?

This info will actually be very helpful for me personally as well.

And start to finish how long is the application process for Voc Rehab? I remember the GI Bill taking roughly two months.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 9, 2017

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

So Voc Rehab is meant for people who are too injured to continue working in the fields that they are trained in. The technical qualifications are 10% disability with a serious employment handicap or 20% with an employment handicap.

If you can make a strong enough case that the career field you want to pursue is something you can do with your disability and that it will lead to gainful employment then you have a good chance of getting your plan approved. Voc Rehab does more than just getting a degree though. They can help pay for books, tools, training, supplies or just about whatever else you need to complete your plan with some specific limitations.

There are special rules about using the Post 9/11 before using Voc Rehab that I'm not familiar with. I think it might be that if you haven't used the Post 9/11 before Voc Rehab then you can get the Post 9/11 BAH while using Voc Rehab and still have all your GI Bill left over when you finish Voc Rehab.

It took me about a month from start to finish to get my Voc Rehab plan approved, but my understanding is that it often takes longer. In the VA Benefits megathread I asked for help on what paperwork the VR&E counselor wants and put together my entire packet before I even applied.

Delizin fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 9, 2017

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

TBeats posted:

Can you get voc rehab to pay for it? How does that work? Isn't voc rehab based on industry needs or whatever? Like it'll pay for an in-demand degree/masters but not for underwater basket weaving or something stupid?

Or does that only apply for people with x% disability rating (which I don't know if you have)?

This info will actually be very helpful for me personally as well.

And start to finish how long is the application process for Voc Rehab? I remember the GI Bill taking roughly two months.

I qualify for Voc rehab but being approved for it probably isn't in the cards. I don't have a strong enough case to justify it. Like I can't point to a specific job as the reason for grad school.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Thanks. I have 9 months left on my GI bill and ~7 months left of undergrad (two semesters) so I'm kind of in the same boat, except my degree field (accounting) is fairly in demand so finding specific employment opportunities would be really easy. Otherwise I'm looking at like ~$8000 in tuition (since I'll still have GI Bill time left to pick up a semester of grad school) and, even worse, having to move back to Florida to get in-state rates (otherwise I'll be on the hook for around $14k where I'm at now, after factoring a semester paid for by the GI Bill). All of that is doable, but if I can find a better way to do it, while allowing myself to stay put in VA, then that's how I would rather do that. I'm also getting an internship at an accounting firm in a few months, as well as taking the GMAT (out of my own pocket), but I don't know if those types of things are factored in at all.

According to the UF (my second choice) website I meet all of the criteria for a scholarship, though the reqs are fairly vague (significant professional work experience, proven leadership -- pretty sure I could parlay my military experience to fill those reqs).

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 9, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

cowboy elvis posted:

I qualify for Voc rehab but being approved for it probably isn't in the cards. I don't have a strong enough case to justify it. Like I can't point to a specific job as the reason for grad school.

can you print out a list of potential jobs? Then you can justify it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

If you can have a valid reason to need to pursue (i.e. The job market says it's oversaturated for your career field) you will get a masters plan approved. Voc rehab can be extended to 4 years total which is nice.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Nvm. I'll use the va bennies thread for this question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I still wonder if I'm stunting myself by not pursuing a masters. I mean I'm already 30 and don't feel like taking out loans for a piece of paper.