Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Medullah posted:

Preacher should not be compared to Justified in any way other than "is in the South"

For me it is compare with the small special comunity each shows has createt. You can like it or hate it that change the point of I like to watch these shows for me.
For me it was much easier to come close and feel warm with the justified comunity as with the preachers one. But every episode turns it atm for me into the good so that I stay watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Hoo boy you haven't made it through season one yet have you :psypop:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Preacher is so much better than Justified to me.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

XenJ posted:

I have never seen befor such a shabby Vampire like the one in the "Preacher".

But hell this show becoming better and better from Episode to Episode.

If you like tv series like From Dusk till Dawn, Supernatural or Justified, try Preacher. All others It will be better with every further episode of the series and makes lot of fun for know Episode 5 from Season 1.
Realy different as what I was thinking about the show yesterday as I start with watching.

I'll have to try Preacher again. I got to episode 3 and thought it was pretty meh.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Mammal Sauce posted:

I'll have to try Preacher again. I got to episode 3 and thought it was pretty meh.

I'm just started episode10 and for now it was realy fun to watch the show.

I had the same meh beginning with it but for me it turnd in a nice cracy and bloody show, but more on a comedy side as for real.
drat this shaby vampire is so unique haha.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How much like the comic is it?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

veni veni veni posted:

Not at all, the characters share names but (except Cassidy, a bit) they aren't anything like their comic counterparts.

Edit - That's either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your preference. It bothered me a ton, others loved it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Very similar tone, but I like it better. The comic suffers from too much Extreme 90s. Season 2 is starting where the comic does, season 1 was a very good extended prologue that I feel gave way more depth to the main 3 characters

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Medullah posted:

Not at all, the characters share names but (except Cassidy, a bit) they aren't anything like their comic counterparts.

Edit - That's either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your preference. It bothered me a ton, others loved it.

I liked some of the changes, particularly in the minor characters. They had more depth, and it didn't hurt that they were well acted, especially by W. Earl Brown and Jackie Earle Haley.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Ok just at episode 1 from the second season Preacher and it tops the whole first season atm for sure :a2m::allears:

And this shabby vampire :jerkbag: he's much more nice to watch as the whole true blood cast and that was a drat good show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Filthy Hans posted:

I liked some of the changes, particularly in the minor characters. They had more depth, and it didn't hurt that they were well acted, especially by W. Earl Brown and Jackie Earle Haley.

Jackie Earl Haley's plotlines in season 1 were amazing. WHICH ONE'S MY DAUGHTER AND WHICH ONE'S A COW??

XenJ posted:

Ok just at episode 1 from the second season Preacher and it tops the whole first season atm for sure :a2m::allears:

And this shabby vampire :jerkbag: he's much more nice to watch as the whole true blood cast and that was a drat good show.

If you want more Joseph Gilgnun you should really watch This Is England. You should be able to still watch it on the BBC website.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

precision posted:

Jackie Earl Haley's plotlines in season 1 were amazing. WHICH ONE'S MY DAUGHTER AND WHICH ONE'S A COW??

If you want more Joseph Gilgnun you should really watch This Is England. You should be able to still watch it on the BBC website.

whoa, Jackie is in Preacher? I never made it past the first 3 episodes or so. Gonna give it another shot.

Also, sweet new avatar you have there, Precision. Best show of the year IMO

Speaking of True Blood, Nelsan Ellis (Lafayette) died. RIP

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pahuyuth posted:

whoa, Jackie is in Preacher? I never made it past the first 3 episodes or so. Gonna give it another shot.

Yeah he's the best part of season 1, and being able to binge it should help with any pacing issues you might have (though I liked the "slow" pace of it)

quote:

Also, sweet new avatar you have there, Precision. Best show of the year IMO

Handmaid's Tale came close but yeah I can't get Patriot out of my head, really hope the quality level of season 2 holds up.

quote:

Speaking of True Blood, Nelsan Ellis (Lafayette) died. RIP

He's in The Stanford Prison Experiment too, which is on Netflix right now and is one of the most hosed up movies I've ever seen (because it's all true).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

XenJ posted:

Those first 5 minutes were insane.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Ha, I've been meaning to ask you fuckers about The Stanford Prison Experiment. Definitely gonna watch that one if it has your endorsement.

As for Patriot, Michael Dorman is absolutely perfect as "sad man in a suit". Dude can sing pretty well too. He's also up there as one of the best to deliver a simple "gently caress.", which he does quite a lot. Also, Cool Rick owns. Goddamn what a fantastic show. If any of you haven't seen it, binge that poo poo posthaste.

Also the theme song introduced me to Vashti Bunyan's music. Love it.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 9, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Castlevania is very fun. It's, in a way, perfect in that it's basically a 90s "this is for adults so it has ultra-violence and cussin'!!!" anime mini-series, and in being that it perfectly captures these characters and locations that the most development in 90s (well 1989 for some :P ) anime games.

Something that really impresses me about this show is that it really nails the tone I always had in mind with the games because of that with these almost grimdark too macabre worlds offset by some pretty goofy characters and silliness.

I was also impressed with how the way the action scenes work and the way the characters move and their abilities and magic takes form, like it looks like Castlevania. It doesn't look like Vampire Hunter D or Genocyber or Underworld, it just looks like characters from a Castlevania game doing Castlevania stuff, that's really awesome. And I appreciate how that's even down to the way when some of the demons are seen spitting fireballs and it's like the exact way that creature does so in Symphony of the Night and some the architecture of the backgrounds.

I'm surprised how close the general progression of the story is to Castlevania III too, not that there was a lot of story at all in the NES game but they weren't kidding when they said it would follow how that game played out.

Most importantly it's a "season" but it's four twenty minute episodes, so it's more like a lean mini-series that doesn't waste any time, very much appreciated, it's fast and fun and occasionally looks really cool.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, as soon as it opened in the castle and had that science lab I knew they nailed it.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 9, 2017

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Neo Rasa posted:

Castlevania is very fun. It's, in a way, perfect in that it's basically a 90s "this is for adults so it has ultra-violence and cussin'!!!" anime mini-series, and in being that it perfectly captures these characters and locations that the most development in 90s (well 1989 for some :P ) anime games.

Something that really impresses me about this show is that it really nails the tone I always had in mind with the games because of that with these almost grimdark too macabre worlds offset by some pretty goofy characters and silliness.

I was also impressed with how the way the action scenes work and the way the characters move and their abilities and magic takes form, like it looks like Castlevania. It doesn't look like Vampire Hunter D or Genocyber or Underworld, it just looks like characters from a Castlevania game doing Castlevania stuff, that's really awesome. And I appreciate how that's even down to the way when some of the demons are seen spitting fireballs and it's like the exact way that creature does so in Symphony of the Night and some the architecture of the backgrounds.

I'm surprised how close the general progression of the story is to Castlevania III too, not that there was a lot of story at all in the NES game but they weren't kidding when they said it would follow how that game played out.

Most importantly it's a "season" but it's four twenty minute episodes, so it's more like a lean mini-series that doesn't waste any time, very much appreciated, it's fast and fun and occasionally looks really cool.

There's eight more episodes in development for the other half of the season. I think they just released these four because they were 'done' and comprised a decent origin story

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just watched The Red Pill on Amazon. Really well done documentary.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Netflix just got Policy Academy, and after about 10 minutes it clearly deserves all the hate it gets.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm a huge Castlevania fan and 3 is one of my favorites. All the little details in the series are there, the way Dracula travels, adding a personality to a belmont, seeing how poo poo the world is when power hungry assholes excommunicate and/or murder the talented because they don't understand. It's the first time in awhile I've seen a show of something i'm a fan of and go "gently caress yeah, this is good, I love how they did that, Oh poo poo, I know who that poor lady is."

I was also remembering stuff about 3 as i went along. In the game, a Cyclops was the boss guarding a petrified sypha, and yeah you can fight Alucard and have him join you. Especially liked the fighting and whip animations, It was too good and I already want more.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Just watched Castlevania, definitely in the "it rocked" camp. It's really impressive to hit that tone of comedic cynicism without completely losing any sense of seriousness, but so far it just feels perfect.

Man, I got confused when I realized it was written by Warren Ellis, and then I looked it up and remembered this has been in some form of development for like ten years. Here's a nice article quoting some of the stuff Ellis had to say about the project back in 2007. He's always fun for goofy quotes, like where he describes Castlevania as "a film where bastards explode when they get whipped, people get set on fire, and Alucard has no clothes on."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Netflix just got Policy Academy, and after about 10 minutes it clearly deserves all the hate it gets.

Of all the not really made for kids things that were marketed to kids, this series getting a Saturday morning cartoon and toys and stuff was always the weirdest to me. Even as a kid I thought it was weird that they made seven Police Academy movies. Plus there was a live action TV series in the late 90s too. Like who was renting them?????????? They all completely suck.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

precision posted:

He's in The Stanford Prison Experiment too, which is on Netflix right now and is one of the most hosed up movies I've ever seen (because it's all true).

(sort of)

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

For a moment there I thought it was some sort of netflix documentary about congressmen or some poo poo, but nah, it's Police Academy.

Watched it when I was a kid, only stayed for bobcat's character and Tackleberry, but i never saw the last one.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Best thing about Police Academy was Michael Winslow.

Edit:

https://youtu.be/L6Sw6amNg5s

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Void was kind of style over substance but I still liked it. Totally worth a watch.

Also watched Man Vs. to see Russ Hanneman hunted in the woods. Pretty enjoyable little thriller with an absolutely woeful monster reveal unfortunately.

Oh and I also watched Here Alone . Nothing terrible to say about it, but it doesn't bring anything new to the table in a really played out genre. If you like apocalypse/zombie stuff you could do worse.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 9, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm late to the party but the Chappelle specials were a lot better than the short clips of stuff of him for the past like 8 years.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

precision posted:

Cool thx for the tipp :cheers:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
And in case it wasn't said, Gilgun essentially played proto-Cassidy in Misfits.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Seems like I should leave Police Academy as a pleasant childhood memory... I didn't even know people hated that movie. All I really remember is the sound effects guy and the gun guy.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
A lot of the humor hasn't aged gracefully at all, and the whole "misfit band of cops who bumble their way to saving the day" is a bit of a tougher sell these days. If you made a remade where they were all crazy kids at some school or summer camp it would play a lot better than untrained idiots with weapons, doing drugs and vigilante hijinx stuff.. Like Revenge of the Nerds, a lot of the more adult oriented jokes and themes are just not as funny these days. Police Academy is a better memory I would say.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

coyo7e posted:

A lot of the humor hasn't aged gracefully at all, and the whole "misfit band of cops who bumble their way to saving the day" is a bit of a tougher sell these days. If you made a remade where they were all crazy kids at some school or summer camp it would play a lot better than untrained idiots with weapons, doing drugs and vigilante hijinx stuff.. Like Revenge of the Nerds, a lot of the more adult oriented jokes and themes are just not as funny these days. Police Academy is a better memory I would say.

Yeah, the guy who was way too much into getting to handle guns and shooting stuff (Tackleberry?) was good for a few chuckles back then, but these days that's got some seriously ugly aftertaste.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

Martman posted:

Just watched Castlevania, definitely in the "it rocked" camp. It's really impressive to hit that tone of comedic cynicism without completely losing any sense of seriousness, but so far it just feels perfect.

Man, I got confused when I realized it was written by Warren Ellis, and then I looked it up and remembered this has been in some form of development for like ten years. Here's a nice article quoting some of the stuff Ellis had to say about the project back in 2007. He's always fun for goofy quotes, like where he describes Castlevania as "a film where bastards explode when they get whipped, people get set on fire, and Alucard has no clothes on."

I liked it, but what was the reason for not including any classic Castlevania music? That was a real airball.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

TheIndividual posted:

I liked it, but what was the reason for not including any classic Castlevania music? That was a real airball.

I don't know if this is related but when MercurySteam was making the Lords of Shadow games they were forbidden by Konami to use any classic music, and the few bits of Vampire Killer that are in part of a level in the first Lords of Shadow had to be like sneaked in. I know the woman who actually composed Vampire Killer, Wicked Child and a couple of other of the super iconic songs in Castlevania 1 and 2 didn't actually get paid back in the day and left Konami over that so maybe Konami hosed around enough that they don't want to go back to that well.

It also seems weird to not use because so much Castlevania music is heavily inspired by Goblin and other 80s prog rock stuff. In a post Netflix GLOW and Stranger Things world that seems like it'd go over really well.

Whatever the reason it missing some classic tracks is basically my only complaint with the show.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

well they have 8 more episodes coming soon so maybe they'll have different music

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Castlievania is really good, to hell with the haters. The only real issue I had with it is that it's too loving short. The 4 episodes we got barely make up a good first act, now we'll have to wait a few years for season 2.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I liked the music in Castlevania. It would have been nice to hear a version of Vampire Killer or Bloody Tears, but what they had was rad.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Sammus posted:

Castlievania is really good, to hell with the haters. The only real issue I had with it is that it's too loving short. The 4 episodes we got barely make up a good first act, now we'll have to wait a few years for season 2.

The nothing length is really odd. Even season two is only set to be 8 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The nothing length is really odd. Even season two is only set to be 8 episodes.
It's written by a guy from Britain, Warren Ellis. British TV often has shorter seasons like that. American TV isn't the only way to do things!