Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Inverted Sphere posted:

So now that the dust has had some time to settle, what's the rough verdict on where all the various classes landed? I remember a lot of doom and gloom for a while, and it seemed for a bit like MNK kind of got royally shafted while SAM is the Maximum Overmurder Machine now. BLM also sounds like it's way more fun to play now, especially at 70.

PLD is basically perfect now and I hope they don't change anything mechanically about the job (they'll probably tweak potencies a bit).

BRD is a dynamic piano simulator while bringing a lot of useful and fun-to-use utility to the party.

MCH even with the improved Heat attacks still feels weird. Overheating doesn't feel like enough of a reward, turret overload is insanely awful. So you're spending most of the fight using your basic proc priority list and shoving every single oGCD into Wildfire every 60 seconds. Their utility is lacking compared to BRD even with the role actions.

I haven't played any other jobs to any extent yet to have a thorough opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It's time for them to increase the potency of Fire IV and Blizzard IV back up to 280, but also of Flare.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
PLD is where WAR was last expansion, the mandatory highest dps+highest utility tank. DRK is preferred above WAR for the other slot.

Healer balance is good, all three combinations are viable based on your desire for dps versus stability, though AST is probably the one you don't want to ditch.

DPS are up in the air because synergies are not fully known, but the big winner appears to be NIN aaaaand the big loser appears to be MCH.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/6m3tww/blm_fire_iv_and_40/

holy poo poo the arr rotation is better than the 4.x one

What I got from that is that if you're bad and find yourself constantly losing your stack and never getting a chance to use foul, then it's theoretically better to just spam Fire so you never lose enochian.
If you end up missing out on a fire4 cast here and there because mechanics, you don't need to panic about squeezing an extra one in against the timer because it's only a minor loss as long as you're still doing the rest of the 70 rotation.

If you did the actual arr rotation and ignore all the 51-70 spells, like some of the people in that thread are freaking out about, you'd do much less damage.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kind of torn between leveling PLD and DRK when I get around to leveling a tank. I think I like the overall aesthetics of PLD better, but I know DRK has some really cool job quests.

Inverted Sphere posted:

So now that the dust has had some time to settle, what's the rough verdict on where all the various classes landed? I remember a lot of doom and gloom for a while, and it seemed for a bit like MNK kind of got royally shafted while SAM is the Maximum Overmurder Machine now. BLM also sounds like it's way more fun to play now, especially at 70.

As far as I can tell, MNK is actually in a pretty good place. SAM does have kind of holy poo poo DPS going on, but MNK definitely didn't get gutted.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Gruckles posted:

What I got from that is that if you're bad and find yourself constantly losing your stack and never getting a chance to use foul, then it's theoretically better to just spam Fire so you never lose enochian.
If you end up missing out on a fire4 cast here and there because mechanics, you don't need to panic about squeezing an extra one in against the timer because it's only a minor loss as long as you're still doing the rest of the 70 rotation.

If you did the actual arr rotation and ignore all the 51-70 spells, like some of the people in that thread are freaking out about, you'd do much less damage.

Comments said it's 10% less against a training dummy. In an actual fight the difference will be smaller because you'll get more firestarter procs to use during mechanics

Obviously, even during a very movement-heavy fight you'd still at worst want a hybrid rather than truly reverting to 2.x

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
it's really cool that i can't progress the MSQ because the zone its in is "congested"

how is square so bad dat this?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

People farm some ugly mount in it.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

SKULL.GIF posted:

BRD is a dynamic piano simulator while bringing a lot of useful and fun-to-use utility to the party.

bard is pretty much old ret paladin from wow (very proc-heavy, reactionary gameplay) with some extra utility and a few more buttons. it's simpler than most people make it out to be. it's pretty fun too.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Harrow posted:

As far as I can tell, MNK is actually in a pretty good place. SAM does have kind of holy poo poo DPS going on, but MNK definitely didn't get gutted.

It's basically sitting in the same place as it was in HW, only with even less to do. The new skills aren't really interesting.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

at least i'm not this guy:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
If you're gonna go gaudy, go all the way

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I think I hate Ul'Dahn. Like all it took was a single trader from Limsa to remind me everyone ain't a bunch of dicks.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

That's beautiful.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

taako?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Gruckles posted:

you'd do much less damage.

it's 10% difference on a dummy, so probably even closer in a real fight

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
If there was an umbrella rapier you know I would glam that poo poo instantly

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I still wonder why MCH doesn't have some sort of piercing resistance debuff they can apply to make their damage less poo poo and reliant on Wildfire.

Just remove it from Dragoon because God knows we could use less of those. :smug:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

??????????????????????????????????????????

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

queeb posted:

it's 10% difference on a dummy, so probably even closer in a real fight

That's doing the majority of the 4.0 rotation including enochian, blizzard 4, and foul, but casting fire exclusively instead of fire 4.

When I said "much less damage" I was talking about a couple people on reddit who are interpreting "arr rotation" as meaning they shouldn't use ANY spells from HW/SB, which would just be stupid. Like that guy that was using i270 fending accessories.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

??????????????????????????????????????????

If zero people queue for guildhests 2 DPS are needed to 1 healer and 1 tank therefore DPS are in need!

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Guildhests roulette always seems to have quick dps queues.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Gruckles posted:

That's doing the majority of the 4.0 rotation including enochian, blizzard 4, and foul, but casting fire exclusively instead of fire 4.

When I said "much less damage" I was talking about a couple people on reddit who are interpreting "arr rotation" as meaning they shouldn't use ANY spells from HW/SB, which would just be stupid. Like that guy that was using i270 fending accessories.

oh poo poo yeah, that would be dumb. blizz IV and foul own

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Shy posted:

Guildhests roulette always seems to have quick dps queues.

there's no reason to do guildhests >50 unless you, like, really need seals, right? so it makes sense that everyone playing RDM or SAM would never do it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's barely a reason to do them 1-49 tbh

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I'm lv70 and I've never done a guildhest ever.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
There's also always the danger of getting Ward Up.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Sade posted:

I'm lv70 and I've never done a guildhest ever.

how'd you do the MSQ in 2.x? IIRC some were required.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
If they leveled recently it's no longer required. That quest was replaced by a bunch of go kill some Morbols quests.

*at least I think that's what happened - could be wrong, but I leveled an alt through there a while ago and didn't remember that series of quests.

Sunday Morning fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 9, 2017

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

There's barely a reason to do them 1-49 tbh

you get a little xp bonus for each class you do it on, so i always do em, cuz it's like 1/5 of the level you unlock em at for like 3-10 minutes of work

I wish this held true for primals/trials, tbh. I'm leveling my first tank and healer (level 42 PLD and level 25 CNJ) and I wish I had a reason to do primals other than for funsies (but I'll probably do em for funsies)

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

there's no reason to do guildhests >50 unless you, like, really need seals, right? so it makes sense that everyone playing RDM or SAM would never do it

roulette + challenge log give a modest amount of xp and gold for virtually no effort

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Hello ridiculously fabulous red mage buddy!

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
For leveling DPS classes 30-70 is it PotD or PvP, nowadays?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Fridurmus posted:

For leveling DPS classes 30-70 is it PotD or PvP, nowadays?

yes

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Past 60 you'll probably want to do more PVP although I've been getting a level a day just running the highest dungeon (using roulettes to get classes to 61 beforehand) even with long wait times (which I use for gathering/crafting xp.)

POTD experience tapers off at 60.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

abraham linksys posted:

Uh if you want the chance at adventurers that can come from guildhests challenges like Careless Whisper.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Big thanks to the goons that helped me kill Lakshmi tonight. I am now through it all. i313. Feels good. Bring on Omega Savage.

In a month when I have time for a static

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

As a DPS I would actually recommend PvP rather than dungeons, unless you have a tank or healer friend to queue with. The experience wasn't really nerfed after the patch, it's the same as before if you get 2nd, about +- 100k exp based on how well you do.

Farm the dungeon if it's set is a glamour you like though.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Count Bleck posted:

I still wonder why MCH doesn't have some sort of piercing resistance debuff they can apply to make their damage less poo poo and reliant on Wildfire.

Just remove it from Dragoon because God knows we could use less of those. :smug:

This would help MCH's damage but it wouldn't help their basic gameplay at all. Putting everything in 10 out of 60 seconds then doing the vanilla // Heated attacks for the next 50 seconds isn't that thrilling. They need something to mix things up more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Well that was a learning experience. I found a rare world spawn and slow typed it with my controller in FC chat. They taught me how to use <pos> then in an instant tons of people spawned on my and I got spammed whispers for invites. So I got to learn how to spam invite people and even faster the monster just got deleted by the FC.